Author Topic: Beast-Mounted Infantry Speeds  (Read 2462 times)

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
Beast-Mounted Infantry Speeds
« on: 21 November 2018, 07:33:46 »
Beast-Mounted Infantry (TO, p.294) have rules for their construction found under "Converting Creatures For Use In Total Warfare" (AToW Companion, p.133-134).  The "Creatures Table" (AToW, p.246) is where the RPG data is for converting the creatures to Total Warfare play.   Unfortunately, I have found some errors with the given Sample Types.  The construction rules are wrong as they change the MP for almost every single ground creature on the Beast-Mounted Infantry table.  Even the two stated example creatures do not match TO's table.

The airborne and submarine creatures are calculated correctly by using their fastest stated RPG speed.  The easiest fix is to change "Running speed for land creatures..." to "Sprinting speed for land creatures...".  Rounding up should only be done on 0.5+.  These changes will give the correct calculations for every ground creature except the Horse, Elephant, and Tabiranth.

1)   Is my above stated formula the proper one that should be used in AToW Companion?

If the original AToW-C formula is used, than most of TO's table will need errata.  If my above formula is used, than the Horse and Tabiranth's speed would need to be changed to 4 MP.  The Elephant's speed would be changed to 3 MP.  It is also possible to errata AToW's Creature Table with the Elephant and Tabiranth's Sprint changing to 40, along with the Horse's Sprint changing to 60.  Honestly though, horses can be very fast.  Saying they can move twice as fast (4 MP) as a camel or donkey (2MP) actually makes sense.  Average battles are around 4 minutes of in-universe time, so I don't think it would be a stretch to find a horse running like a bat-out-of-hell.  I believe the Tabiranth and Elephant would also run very fast under pressure.

2)   Which of the three above possible errata is correct for Tactical Operations?

Also, the Donkey's weight does not match that of AToW.  The weight stated in TO is 0.15 tons, while AToW's is 0.25 tons.

3)   Which is the correct transport weight for the Donkey?
« Last Edit: 12 December 2018, 06:17:01 by Bandit Queen »

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
Re: Beast-Mounted Infantry Speeds
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2018, 07:34:05 »
Monthly Bump #1.  I have previously edited this topic by separating the Beast-Mounted Damage Bonus portion into this topic https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63726.0.

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2019, 06:36:23 »
Bump #2.

Bandit Queen

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2022, 06:28:07 »
Bump #3.  This rule is now found on p.106 in TO:AUE.  The AToW Companion pages are still the same.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2022, 07:24:10 by Bandit Queen »

Register