Author Topic: (Answered) VTOL Landed and Arrow IV Automatic Hits  (Read 1909 times)

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
(Answered) VTOL Landed and Arrow IV Automatic Hits
« on: 07 January 2019, 14:50:08 »
Line in question: 4th paragraph, Artillery: Determining Hits P. 182 Tactical Operations

The text says that a unit spending MP cannot hit the same hex as they hit previously under the determining hits rule. Wouldn't a VTOL that is landed, or otherwise hasn't moved since striking it's target be immune to this rule? The first line says that "the exception to this rule is if the unit in question expends MP" then it loses auto hit functionality. Then in parenthesis it says that all airborne units can't use the automatic strike rules.

My question is twofold.

Can a landed VTOL "dial in" in the same way that other artillery can?
Can a VTOL "dial in" if it doesn't change hexes, but is airborne (I assume no)?
« Last Edit: 24 August 2019, 15:42:39 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) VTOL Landed and Arrow IV Automatic Hits
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2019, 15:42:27 »
Yes to both.  As long as the VTOL doesn't expend MP, I don't think it matters if it is landed or not: stationary is stationary.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
Re: (Answered) VTOL Landed and Arrow IV Automatic Hits
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2019, 20:50:52 »
So, an airborne VTOL can dial in on a target if it doesn't expend MP? If so, we might need to make an errata note for that as clarification.

That changes quite a lot of what outcomes we were supposed to have of a few games we played (my friend likes his Yellow Jacket Arrow IV models). I always assumed that the VTOL could never dial in while in the air.