Author Topic: Mech design decisions that make no sense  (Read 144954 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Re: Mech design decisions that make no sense
« Reply #420 on: 18 April 2019, 21:59:04 »
The M-16 is "easy to maintain" vice "rugged"?  I mean, I buy that AK's don't need maintenance as often, but I'm not so sure maintenance is actually any easier on the M-16 (having disassembled and cleaned a few).  Parts that small are that small...
Doesn't all the heat  from the direct impingement system cause wear issues?  Slowly undoing the heat treat or something?  For those of you with  grain of salt, I saw this in a video about the HK 416 and the person who said it had "HK" written on their shirt.  So we KNOW he has every reason to give the M-16 a fair shake.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #421 on: 18 April 2019, 23:16:18 »
Guys, Battletech.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #422 on: 18 April 2019, 23:21:45 »
as long as it's not another 10000 post discussion about real world tanks

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

brother elf

• Corporal
« Reply #423 on: 19 April 2019, 04:37:51 »
I always took the "small cockpit" to mean that it had bad ergonomics, not necessarily that it was actually smaller.  Stuff just wasn't quite in the right place -- you bang your head when getting in, whack your knee against a hard corner, the ejection lever is in a weird spot, etc.

Things like that are routinely ignored by the people who make the purchasing decisions.  The actual interior volume of the cockpit might be the same as the Wasp, but somehow things just aren't quite right.

I have a vague recollection that the fluff said it's so cramped the pilot can't actually leave the cockpit without help (which admittedly could just be a badly-placed entry). Let me find my copy … yup, the pilot "literally has to squeeze into the pilot seat and often cannot leave without help from their tech". (Translation approximate.)

ETA: Found the direct quote in HMP data files' copy of the TRO3025 description: "On (sic?) of the biggest complaints of Stinger pilots is the cramped cockpit space.  Many times, a pilot must literally squeeze himself into the control seat, and then often cannot get out again without help from his Tech.  Stinger pilots are the reverse of the knights of feudal Earth who could not mount their steeds without help from their squires because of the weight of their armor."
« Last Edit: 22 April 2019, 06:27:06 by brother elf »

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #424 on: 19 April 2019, 15:09:54 »
"Why is there a bank of targeting relays where the pilot's legs go?"
"We figure they can just wedge them in there and this makes them easier to maintain than having to disassemble half the cockpit"
"How does he get out like that, i don't think he's got any way to pull his legs out!"
"We're designing a cockpit for piloting a battlemech sir, extraction is another team."
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #425 on: 19 April 2019, 17:34:18 »
having several friends in college who are engineers of various stripes, i do not doubt the legitimacy of this conversation.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Kargush

• Sergeant
  • Grenades cost extra
« Reply #426 on: 20 April 2019, 03:35:51 »
"Why is there a bank of targeting relays where the pilot's legs go?"
"We figure they can just wedge them in there and this makes them easier to maintain than having to disassemble half the cockpit"
"How does he get out like that, i don't think he's got any way to pull his legs out!"
"We're designing a cockpit for piloting a battlemech sir, extraction is another team."
So basically UK tank designers between the Wars.
Buy'ce gal, buy'ce tal
Vebor'ad ures aliit
Mhi draar baat'i meg'parjii'se
Kote lo'shebs'ul narit.

4th Donegal Guards
7th Sword of Light
1st Canopian Cuirassiers

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #427 on: 20 April 2019, 14:27:46 »
Reminds me of something that was said about the F-35 and its large helmet, that the helmet gets in way when trying to look behind or so.
I would assume bad ergonomics might mean outdated controls. Like, a big difference between late Soviet and Western fighters was that the West focused a lot on ergonomics, making it easier to focus on flying. Soviet fighters may have been as good, but old-style controls (good for conversion training from older models) didn't allow true capabilities to be be exploited.

Here's the funny thing. The original WSP-1 has "hard to pilot", the later Wasps don't. Suppose one reason was that upgraded Wasps upgraded the controls... while the Stinger more or less copied the old layout while making things just a bit more cramped. OK, "hard to pilot" and "cramped cockpit" aren't strictly identical quirks, but the effect is more or less the same.

The original Wasp's gyro couldn't maintain stability while jump resulting in wrecked mechs and injured warriors. That's why the hard to pilot quirk. Once they stopped using prototype jump jets that quirk went away.

I have a vague recollection that the fluff said it's so cramped the pilot can't actually leave the cockpit without help (which admittedly could just be a badly-placed entry). Let me find my copy … yup, the pilot "literally has to squeeze into the pilot seat and often cannot leave without help from their tech". (Translation approximate.)

Where does it say that?

I know the fluff entry in TRO3025 for the Assassin says that its one of the most cramped cockpits in the IS and can be uncomfortable and even deadly to be in for any length of time.

There's also the entry for Emory's Grand Dragon in SB:Sword and Dragon. It says that the modifications included a lot of displays on the cockpit floor. Because of that Emory had to contort himself to get in and out and that it was unbarable to be in for any length of time and caused him back problems

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #428 on: 20 April 2019, 14:49:50 »
The original Wasp's gyro couldn't maintain stability while jump resulting in wrecked mechs and injured warriors. That's why the hard to pilot quirk. Once they stopped using prototype jump jets that quirk went away.
Don't ruin my theory  :D

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #429 on: 20 April 2019, 21:42:39 »
Doesn't all the heat  from the direct impingement system cause wear issues?  Slowly undoing the heat treat or something?  For those of you with  grain of salt, I saw this in a video about the HK 416 and the person who said it had "HK" written on their shirt.  So we KNOW he has every reason to give the M-16 a fair shake.
Okay, so, the M16 suffered from a lot of problems. The one you are referring to here is the gas system that puts hot gasses into direct contact with the head, said gasses being corrosive which caused a breakdown of the mechanism over time.
There is also the issues with jamming, double feeding, unreliable mechanism, magazines not being able to take a full load, poor handling, etc, but those are other problems.
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #430 on: 20 April 2019, 22:06:18 »
Where does it say that?

tro 3025 pg 12

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #431 on: 21 April 2019, 14:47:10 »

Corky

• Private
« Reply #432 on: 22 April 2019, 09:17:38 »

No direct impingment system does not cause "wear issues".

Corky

• Private
« Reply #433 on: 22 April 2019, 09:22:00 »
Okay, so, the M16 suffered from a lot of problems. The one you are referring to here is the gas system that puts hot gasses into direct contact with the head, said gasses being corrosive which caused a breakdown of the mechanism over time.
There is also the issues with jamming, double feeding, unreliable mechanism, magazines not being able to take a full load, poor handling, etc, but those are other problems.

The gasses were not hot and corrosive and they did not cause the breakdown of mechanism over time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #434 on: 22 April 2019, 09:49:34 »
This is not the place to be discussing issues with the M-16.  If you want to have that discussion, please take it to Off Topic.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #435 on: 22 April 2019, 09:54:46 »
Well, CASE for Gauss ammo may be for the gun if it is in the corresponding arm. The Gauss explosion damage might transfer to center torso, so minimizing engine damage is good idea (even worse, head damage if torsos are badly damaged).
It is also possible that the CASE exists in case the Gauss rifle needs to be replaced with conventional ballistic weapon in the field. Might be overplanning, but then again salvage and field customization are time honored traditions within BattleTech.

Most Mechs armed with Gauss Rifles would have a hard time transferring explosion damage from the arm to the center torso.

As for plasma ammo, the only plasma designs with CASE that i remember are field-refits. Eg CPLT-C6, which is a field refit made from C5s, by pulling the Arrow IV and slapping a couple of Plasma rifles there. Do remember that CASE requires factory-level refit, but Arrow IV to PRs isn't.
So, it is there for sake of fluff. I approve such things, even if it leads "nonsense".

Retrofitting does make some sense, but keeping it would only make sense in a field refit, not a new line.

No, in most cases, they were, "there's ammo here, let's put CASE here for safety."
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #436 on: 22 April 2019, 21:14:44 »
I dunno... as an internal explosion, it goes right from IS to IS.  With heavy Mechs having ~15 points, if the arm was already heavily damaged it's possible.  Not to mention ammo bins or other explosive components in the torso.

I think it would be a good house rule to make XL/light/etc. engines easier to repair from explosions in a CASE'd location.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #437 on: 22 April 2019, 21:23:46 »
Most Mechs armed with Gauss Rifles would have a hard time transferring explosion damage from the arm to the center torso.

Retrofitting does make some sense, but keeping it would only make sense in a field refit, not a new line.

No, in most cases, they were, "there's ammo here, let's put CASE here for safety."

we've all been around enough engineers, designers, etc to realize that the CASE was actually put there for when exploding Gauss ammo was developed.  It was just never developed.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #438 on: 22 April 2019, 21:43:05 »
Alternate Gauss ammo? Is the gun not deadly enough for you?

Maybe a narc-gauss round?

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #439 on: 22 April 2019, 21:45:58 »
I wasn't saying I was the one going to design the alternate ammo.  I just know how designers work "we'll leave this port available for when the software can support it"

Or like the AC vents on my old Plymouth.  It had the vents, even though an AC was never installed.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2019, 12:22:24 by CrossfirePilot »

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #440 on: 22 April 2019, 21:59:34 »
(raises hand) guilty
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #441 on: 22 April 2019, 22:11:42 »
You need the CASE for when the angry wasps get out, duh.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #442 on: 23 April 2019, 00:20:43 »
we've all been around enough engineers, designers, etc to realize that the CASE was actually put there for when exploding Gauss ammo was developed.  It was just never developed.

Funny thing about the original SB Gauss is that the weapon ammo used to explode when hit, which never made any sense to begin with, but there is your rationale for CASE (no a great one though).

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #443 on: 23 April 2019, 08:47:54 »
You need the CASE for when the angry wasps get out, duh.

;D
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #444 on: 23 April 2019, 10:23:44 »
they might have put it in for simpler logisitcs for a non-gauss model that was in the works and then....oh look the demand is WAY lower than we thought, scrap it.  xp

there's been plenty of examples of 'mechs hitting the market with more than one weapons package from the get go and some people might not want to work gauss rifles into their inventory chain.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #445 on: 25 April 2019, 06:36:27 »

Two words: Cluster munitions

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #446 on: 26 April 2019, 19:54:58 »
Two words: Cluster munitions
The reason they don't exist as an alternate munition is that would entirely eliminate the use of an LB 20 and make the Lb 5 extremely inefficient.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #447 on: 26 April 2019, 20:05:36 »
The reason they don't exist as an alternate munition is that would entirely eliminate the use of an LB 20 and make the Lb 5 extremely inefficient.

It'd make the regular Gauss ammo obsolete as well. Two percent chance of a headcap is lovely, but a combined 40+% chance of a head hit or TAC every round with the range to put it anywhere on the map is a nightmare.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #448 on: 26 April 2019, 20:16:57 »

Um . . . Silver Bullet Gauss?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #449 on: 26 April 2019, 20:24:26 »

Not quite.  Range and damage are considerably different between the Gauss and the 20, and weight is a HUGE difference between the 5 and the Gauss.

That being said, Gauss cluster would be a... quick counter to the HAG, conceptually.  The hard part is determining the point to begin spreading from the barrel, in universe-wise.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Register