Author Topic: Mercenary Hall  (Read 209498 times)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Re: Mercenary Hall
« Reply #1170 on: 05 May 2021, 13:34:50 »
So a new GDL novel and I'm guessing some Kell Hounds goodness in Tamar Rising.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/upcoming-releases-xx-the-page-reference-we-missed/

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1171 on: 05 May 2021, 14:40:02 »
I would expect Calamity to fall on whatever the Falcons left on Arc Royal . . . will she become Trillian's Warder of the *Whatever the border is called.*

The intriguing bit is . . . will Calamity try to capture Malvina's sibkos?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1172 on: 05 May 2021, 15:00:59 »
I would expect Calamity to fall on whatever the Falcons left on Arc Royal . . . will she become Trillian's Warder of the *Whatever the border is called.*

The intriguing bit is . . . will Calamity try to capture Malvina's sibkos?

And train them up as Hounds?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1173 on: 05 May 2021, 16:09:23 »
No, convert them to pacifism.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1174 on: 05 May 2021, 17:20:05 »
No, convert them to pacifism.

At this point anything less than what Malvina advocated for is pacifism.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #1175 on: 06 May 2021, 03:13:49 »
Can the Hounds' meager forces even stand against the Horses?

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1176 on: 06 May 2021, 08:33:59 »
Can the Hounds' meager forces even stand against the Horses?

The Hounds shouldn't be foolish enough to try to take the Horses in a direct conflict. I'm hoping they'll play the situation to their advantage.
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #1177 on: 06 May 2021, 08:38:55 »
Both are highly mobile forces, the Horses aren't fool enough to repeat the Falcons' mistakes against them and they don't terrorize civilians. The Lyrans and Hounds will have a harder time.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1178 on: 06 May 2021, 09:26:17 »
I would kind of expect Calamity to come storming back in to take back Arc Royal and even some of the old ARDC worlds- perhaps with that organization resurrected.
Colt Ward

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1179 on: 06 May 2021, 16:46:31 »
I would kind of expect Calamity to come storming back in to take back Arc Royal and even some of the old ARDC worlds- perhaps with that organization resurrected.

I could see that, they've not got the Exiles to help them now and they can't be too pleased with how the Lyran's left them to basically fend for themselves against the Falcons.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1180 on: 06 May 2021, 22:04:12 »
Yeah, but they have a tech edge over the Lyrans in general . . . I can see them getting it back in shape.
Colt Ward

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1181 on: 07 May 2021, 07:07:16 »
Both are highly mobile forces, the Horses aren't fool enough to repeat the Falcons' mistakes against them and they don't terrorize civilians. The Lyrans and Hounds will have a harder time.

Aren'T the Horde clusters of the Horses light weight units? I seemto recall from FM 3145 that the Kell Hounds with their heavier equipment were able to crush Horse units with ease (also thanks to their experience) The question would be how the composition of the Horses looks now.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #1182 on: 07 May 2021, 08:06:09 »
It's just a matter of time before the Horses' much bigger touman concentrate and destroy their smaller foe.

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1183 on: 08 May 2021, 17:03:12 »
It's just a matter of time before the Horses' much bigger touman concentrate and destroy their smaller foe.

That's if they don't stretch themselves thin trying to fight off multiple threats at once.
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1184 on: 08 May 2021, 21:35:06 »
What smaller foe?  Really think Calamity is going after the Horses?  And considering she managed to run rings around Malvina's bunch for years . . .
Colt Ward

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1185 on: 08 May 2021, 21:49:11 »
So a new GDL novel and I'm guessing some Kell Hounds goodness in Tamar Rising.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/upcoming-releases-xx-the-page-reference-we-missed/
*Another* GDL novel?  Why couldn’t we leave them dead and buried?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #1186 on: 08 May 2021, 22:14:47 »
That's if they don't stretch themselves thin trying to fight off multiple threats at once.

The Bears should be targeting the Combine and rimward Lyran/Republic worlds and the Horses know not to poke them. That leaves the Lyrans and Hounds as competitors for the Falcon OZ worlds. The new Star League should also mean all the Clans will be engaging in nation-building and renaming their OZs like the Bears, Scorpions, Ravens and Wolves.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1187 on: 08 May 2021, 23:02:59 »

Because them and the Ponies have to come back.

Honestly, for the Dark Ages, I find Hansen's Roughriders more interesting . . . they were holding Galatea, had been pulled in behind the wall to train Republic troops, and fought the Wolves on Terra . . . to be let go.
Colt Ward

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1188 on: 09 May 2021, 00:51:59 »
The Bears should be targeting the Combine and rimward Lyran/Republic worlds and the Horses know not to poke them. That leaves the Lyrans and Hounds as competitors for the Falcon OZ worlds. The new Star League should also mean all the Clans will be engaging in nation-building and renaming their OZs like the Bears, Scorpions, Ravens and Wolves.

I don't believe the Falcon OZ worlds are as toothless as some would think. There's a lot of them and the Horses will still need to protect their own worlds while they try to gobble up the Falcons. Also, the Horses are on bad terms with the Wolves, so if the Bears do fall in line under the ilclan, the Horses could have a potential enemy on their flank.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1189 on: 09 May 2021, 02:47:39 »

I was looking at the map in 3145 the other day and if the bears did that it wouldn’t leave the horses with a path to Terra, which I think they would really fight for. For plot sake I think the Bears will go towards the DC, even if the old Wolf/Falcon ethnic Rasalhauge worlds would be the logical choice.

I don't believe the Falcon OZ worlds are as toothless as some would think. There's a lot of them and the Horses will still need to protect their own worlds while they try to gobble up the Falcons. Also, the Horses are on bad terms with the Wolves, so if the Bears do fall in line under the ilclan, the Horses could have a potential enemy on their flank.

Regardless of what the Bears do the Horses have a potential enemy on their flank. We haven’t really seen the fallout of Operation NOYAN on that end.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #1190 on: 09 May 2021, 03:13:25 »
Because them and the Ponies have to come back.

Honestly, for the Dark Ages, I find Hansen's Roughriders more interesting . . . they were holding Galatea, had been pulled in behind the wall to train Republic troops, and fought the Wolves on Terra . . . to be let go.

Would you push a unit into a corner when said unit is known for having survived a nuclear holocaust on Terra several decades earlier? Not to mention to show no mercy to those who dare to target their dependents (Bromhead massacre and the follow up "Let's kill 10 Taurians for every innocent they kill" rampage through the Concordat)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1191 on: 09 May 2021, 04:19:02 »

Its set pre 4th succession war.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #1192 on: 09 May 2021, 04:55:59 »

Falling in line with the ilClan does not mean the Bears will suddenly do everything the First Lord orders. The Horses are the lesser factor compared to the Combine. Also, the Falcons stripped their worlds of garrisons for the Terran campaign. The Falcon administration left in the OZ has no transport network to counter any Horse moves and the Lyrans, Wolves and maybe even Bears are sure to gobble up the Falcon's Reach. That would leave the Horses with no easy route to Terra and drive them to grab as many Falcon OZ worlds as possible.

I was looking at the map in 3145 the other day and if the bears did that it wouldn’t leave the horses with a path to Terra, which I think they would really fight for. For plot sake I think the Bears will go towards the DC, even if the old Wolf/Falcon ethnic Rasalhauge worlds would be the logical choice.

Regardless of what the Bears do the Horses have a potential enemy on their flank. We haven’t really seen the fallout of Operation NOYAN on that end.

Agreed. The Bears and Ravens share borders with the DC and Kurita has always claimed the First Lordship as part of their destiny. Not targeting them would bring Alaric trouble.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1193 on: 09 May 2021, 05:11:24 »
I could see the Bears moving into grab the former Rasalhague worlds held by the Horses but not going any further than that.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #1194 on: 09 May 2021, 05:12:52 »
True. During HoTW, their Khan wasn't keen on conquering aside from protecting anything deemed Rasalhaguian.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1195 on: 09 May 2021, 09:31:55 »
Its set pre 4th succession war.
That makes more sense than setting it in, say, 3150.  But even so, I’d rather they be left in the dust.  Battletech has enough author’s pet units.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1196 on: 09 May 2021, 13:34:56 »
Falling in line with the ilClan does not mean the Bears will suddenly do everything the First Lord orders.

That's true. The Bears have already mentioned that they will at first pay lip service to who ever becomes ilclan while waiting to see what the real deal is. By potential enemy, I meant that even a rudimentary alliance between the Wolves and Bears could make the Horses wary of what actions they take in the Falcon OZ.

The Horses are the lesser factor compared to the Combine.

A lesser factor compared the Combine for who, the Wolves or the Bears? We know Alaric has mention wanting to punish the Combine for the destruction of the Nova Cats, but the Wolves are in no condition to do that. I'm not well versed in Dark Age events, but so far I haven't seen any indication the Combine would invade the Dominion or vice versa.

I think a lot of us, including myself, believe the hammer is going to drop on the Combine. We just don't know the how or whom.

Also, the Falcons stripped their worlds of garrisons for the Terran campaign. The Falcon administration left in the OZ has no transport network to counter any Horse moves and the Lyrans, Wolves and maybe even Bears are sure to gobble up the Falcon's Reach.

Aha! That's just the thing. They took almost everything. They didn't take their sohalma troops. The reason I say the Falcon OZ isn't toothless is because BLP is writing a novel set in the Falcon OZ about the sohalma left behind.

BLP has mentioned in a interview that he doesn't like how solahma are utilize by the clans. He has stated that he believes that warriors who survive to be sohalma should a clan's best warriors. BLP has at times in the past been a bias and opinionated writer. I do not believe he would allow the Jade Falcon solahma to go quietly into the night. I expect them to give anybody that comes into the Falcon OZ a run for their money, no matter how improbable their resistance may be.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #1197 on: 09 May 2021, 15:09:49 »
That's true. The Bears have already mentioned that they will at first pay lip service to who ever becomes ilclan while waiting to see what the real deal is. By potential enemy, I meant that even a rudimentary alliance between the Wolves and Bears could make the Horses wary of what actions they take in the Falcon OZ.

A lesser factor compared the Combine for who, the Wolves or the Bears? We know Alaric has mention wanting to punish the Combine for the destruction of the Nova Cats, but the Wolves are in no condition to do that. I'm not well versed in Dark Age events, but so far I haven't seen any indication the Combine would invade the Dominion or vice versa.

I think a lot of us, including myself, believe the hammer is going to drop on the Combine. We just don't know the how or whom.

The Bears and Combine will always find a reason , however convoluted, to fight each other. I honestly think it’s a good possibility the Black Dragon group will try and stir up trouble, to put Yori under some pressure. Or maybe she was installed by the Black Dragons, I can’t remember, but some group in the DC anyhow. Although another massive Watch failure by the RasDom would be embarrassing.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #1198 on: 09 May 2021, 17:42:51 »

A two-front war against a Bear/Raven buddy pincer is the obvious thing geographically in the ilClan era.  I see the pretext coming out of Vega Prefecture, maybe one engineered by Alaric to drag the Bears and Ravens into war.  Maybe new Jags and/or certain old Cats join in with some small scale but poetically retributive operations.  Maybe leaves the Combine a rump Successor State like the Elsies.

FedRats would clean up the Snake incursions in their territory, of course.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2021, 17:44:27 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1199 on: 09 May 2021, 18:04:15 »
If I’m Julian, I make an impassioned argument to the ilKhan that the reborn SLDF should return all states to their 2750 boundaries and keep them there.  Old TH worlds go to the Clans, of course.

...Why are you looking at me like that, Prince Magnusson?  Rasalhague is a special case, clearly the Combine’s Star League era occupation was illegitimate.
Sunrise is Coming.

Register