Author Topic: Many have considered it, but nobody has posted it. The Lurker.  (Read 2229 times)

Feign

• Warrant Officer
This BA was honestly inspired by someone else's question over in the "Tac Ops rules questions" section.  I made the design almost immediately, but I didnt' post it, not wanting to rain on ajcbm's parade if he wanted to post it first.

Well it's been several months and nobody has posted it, so I figured I have to.

Lurker Semi-Mobile Armor
IS experimental

BV: 583
Cost: 3,360,000 C-bills
Mass: 2.000 Tons/suit

Movement: 1/1
(Burdened by unjettisoned DWP)

Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Trooper 1                   1        6
Trooper 2                   1        6
Trooper 3                   1        6
Trooper 4                   1        6

Weapon                      Loc     Heat
----------------------------------------
Medium Laser (DWP)          Squad     0

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Detachable Weapon Pack (Body)  Squad
BA Mimetic (Body)              Squad
Power Pack (Body)              Squad

The Lurker is a bit of a tricky way to fit 12 Medium lasers into 8 tons of infantry space.  The mimetic armor really gives these guys an advantage in ambushing mechs and vehicles, and even just the threat of their presence is enough to make even heavy mech pilots fear shadowy alleyways in an urban environment.  If they are found out before they get to maim or at least knock down their target, then they're pretty much hosed, having the armor of a light BA.  Thankfully, 60 points of laser fire is often sufficient to bring down many mechs even if just for a moment.

The way I envision this suit is basically, the back half of the suit having the pilot standing upright with his legs in the rear legs of the suit, and the entire front 3/4 of the suit being the huge gun array with a pair of powered legs acting as a walking bipod near the front of the barrels.  When the DWP is jettisoned in an emergency, the front two legs go with it, but since the suit has no powered arms, it still has all the drawbacks of a quad suit.
All that is born dies,
All that is planned fails,
All that is built crumbles,
But memories continue on,
And that is beautiful.

Thunder

• Master Sergeant
Re: Many have considered it, but nobody has posted it. The Lurker.
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2017, 07:07:19 »
From a File dated 6/14/2011
Originally posted on Solaris7.com.

Overview:
What did you expect from a realm who's favorite additive to pure alcohol is Ouzo.   Though the Kopis claims to stress firepower over all else, a recent addition to the Battle Armor scene is more then willing to   duke it out for that title.   Named for the three headed hound which guards the underworld, the Kerberos stands ready to guard the boarders of the Free Worlds league.   Whats left of it.   Ok, maybe the borders of Steiner space, on the non-Steiner side.

Capabilities:
Clearly based on the Fenrir, the Kerberos is a Quad Battle Armor design that takes the weapons platform concept to a new level. Eschewing the multi-functionally of the Lyran design, the Kerberos instead focuses on a level of raw firepower never before seen in Battle Armor.   Three Medium lasers are mounted using detachable weapon mounts.   The unbalancing normally associated with the DWP's is countered by the natural stability of a Quad Design.   There is still considerable stress on the motive musculature however slowing the Kerberos to a crawl.   Though this would normally be a vulnerability, use of recovered Mimic armor technology from the former Word of Blake oppressors makes the Kerberos harder to hit then it's Lyran counterpart.   Slightly more armor coverage also compares favorably to the Lyran's mongrel.

Variants:
Though the Tri-Laser Kerberos made an impression and gained renown to help boost sales.   A Twin Laser design is far more battlefield capable.   The simple expedient of more then doubling the armor carried gives the Kerberos the longevity to really make an impression on the battlefield.

Otherwise, Exactly the same design, right down to the spare power pack.  I'm impressed by that level of convergent designing.

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2017, 03:23:26 »
This just screams for an accompanying vehicular stealth armor equipped fast APC that helps move them rapidly into position, preferably one with a bloodhound probe (which is damn near a requirement in my book if you're going into urban combat), that, by switching between active stealth and off, it can both avoid hostile units, whilst also knowing exactly where to drop off these ambushers from the depth of Medium Laser Hell (a special hell indeed) to do the most damage.

Funnily enough, there's this small House right next door to the leftovers of the FWL that would absolutely love to sell them some stealthed units...
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

Feign

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2017, 07:23:33 »
This just screams for an accompanying vehicular stealth armor equipped fast APC that helps move them rapidly into position, preferably one with a bloodhound probe (which is damn near a requirement in my book if you're going into urban combat), that, by switching between active stealth and off, it can both avoid hostile units, whilst also knowing exactly where to drop off these ambushers from the depth of Medium Laser Hell (a special hell indeed) to do the most damage.
Funny that, a while ago I designed something very close to that...  In fact, if I swap out the ICE in the SOISEV for a Fuel Cell, I can upgrade the infantry bay to have an 8 ton capacity.

Unfortunately, it lacks the Active Probe, though I prefer putting that kind of thing in dedicated scout units.
Funnily enough, there's this small House right next door to the leftovers of the FWL that would absolutely love to sell them some stealthed units...
Unless you're thinking the NewFWL would share it with the Anduriens, then it's doubtful.
All that is born dies,
All that is planned fails,
All that is built crumbles,
But memories continue on,
And that is beautiful.