Author Topic: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!  (Read 99677 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Deadborder's New MegaMek Icon Thread Two!
« Reply #540 on: 24 September 2016, 18:59:29 »
The Carronade is one of the true gems of the TRO3145 series. It's a fantastic heavy trooper 'Mech that is efficient and capable without being boring. The combination of the two different Gauss Rifles gives it a rather effective anti-Mech and anti-vehicle load, and its ability to murder VTOLs cannot be understated. And that it's an FWL 'Mech is even better, given their history of... odd... design choices.

Sadly, it's also a complex design and thus an utter pain to draw. Having the fantastic IWM mini (Which I cannot recommend enough!) helped immeasurably.

CRN-7M Carronade
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #541 on: 26 September 2016, 06:37:00 »
Amazing job, Deadborder.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #542 on: 27 September 2016, 02:32:39 »
Yeah, that Carronade is gorgeous. I need an excuse to use one in the near future.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #543 on: 27 September 2016, 06:08:00 »
The sight of all these BEAUTIFUL icons really make me wish there's a 3150-era MM server to go wild with them on.  :'(

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #544 on: 27 September 2016, 09:19:05 »
The sight of all these BEAUTIFUL icons really make me wish there's a 3150-era MM server to go wild with them on.  :'(

;-) Build one.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #545 on: 28 September 2016, 07:45:55 »
I love the Neanderthal and I was so happy with what we got. I mean, Snubs with Capacitors? That's awesome. And there's something so fun about smashing things with a 32-point hatchet attack. Regulans may ruin everything, but they have their moments.

This was not that painful a re-work, despite being a Melee 'Mech. Some days, it's a nice case of 'if it ain't broke'

NTL-AG/UG Neanderthal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #546 on: 01 October 2016, 04:22:45 »
And now have two FWLM updates at once. Special thanks need to go to Chris Daranouvong for drawing a top-down view of the Juliano just in the off-chance that somebody was going to try and make a MegaMek icon out of it. That's awesome.

STK-9A Stalker II

JLN-5A Juliano

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #547 on: 05 October 2016, 05:04:30 »
Time for another round of updates with a new TRO! And what better place to start then a Quad with a turret?

Yeah, thought so.

Actually, the Jaguar isn't that bad a design. I just hate drawing quads, that's all.

Jaguar (Standard)

Jaguar 2

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #548 on: 06 October 2016, 03:07:09 »
The Storm Raider is a crap 'Mech. There's no two ways about it. The novelty of bonking people with a mace is offset by the use of ballistic weapons that eat up massive amounts of its weight, and mediocre armour. On the other hand, the Impact Resistant R4 version is strangely amusing. Sure, it's useless, but it's kind of good at something odd.

STM-R1 Storm Raider

STM-R2 Storm Raider

STM-R3/R4 Storm Raider

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #549 on: 07 October 2016, 05:02:00 »
This started out as a tweak of an existing icon. In the end, it isn't a compelte re-draw, but only barely. There's a few elements left over from the original icon. You have to guess which ones.

The Scourge itself is a good 'Mech, and one of my favourites of the 3145 series. It's a solid fast heavy that's pretty universally available. And as a bonus, it's got a variant with a bit of oddball tech, so that's cool with me.

SCG-WD1/WF1 Scourge

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #550 on: 09 October 2016, 06:10:34 »
I hate drawing quads.

Here's the Ursa.

These two statements are connected.

URA-2A/2C Ursa

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #551 on: 12 October 2016, 17:09:08 »
Besides being indestructible, the main goal of the Gotterdammerung is to generate typos. On the other hand, it is a rather easy 'Mech to draw. Rectangle, rectangle on top of that. Arms. Bingo.

GTD-20S Gotterdammerung

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #552 on: 12 October 2016, 18:28:33 »
I see you've embraced the new style of icons already, but I don't see any hazard stripes anywhere?! What? :D

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #553 on: 14 October 2016, 03:42:18 »
The Eyrie is a horrible little hellfire-spewing beast. Seriously. It can do over 40 points of damage in one round at point-blank range. The 10-point kick is just adding to the pain. I once eviscerated a fresh Tundra Wolf with one. Fun to use, horrible to fight.

Oh, and a pain to draw too. As I know the other Falcon 'bird' 'mechs will be.

Eyrie (Standard)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #554 on: 16 October 2016, 05:08:07 »
The Gravedigger is definitely a problem 'Mech. It's disproportionately broad and very 'sprawly', which results in an oversized icon. Added to that it's got very asymmetrical features, and lots of exposed industrial junk parts. Oh, and the TRO art and original MWDA minis are very different. Not fun at all.

So the result is a complete re-draw of the prior icon. I'm not happy with it, but I'm at least less unhappy.

GRD-1C Gravedigger

GRD-1D Gravedigger

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #555 on: 17 October 2016, 04:39:57 »
The Gyrfalcon is determined to be the world's most annoying thing. Reflective armour, a high jump MP and stupid long range weapons are great ways to really, really piss somebody off. And then there's a version with a Targeting Computer. Or the one with TSEMPs...

Gyrfalcon (Standard)/2/3

Gyrfalcon (Standard)/2/3

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #556 on: 23 October 2016, 05:51:14 »
At first glance, this new Shrike icon might seem identical to my previous one. However, there are in fact 4,691 differences between the two. See if you can spot them all. Other then that, this is one of my favourite designs to come out of MWDA. It's very iconically Falcon; not just for the bird design, but also for the use of angular plates and aggressive lines, something that the game's designers wanted to emphasise throughout all their Falcon units. I like it a lot.

Icons should be a little faster and more regular from here on in. And there's going to be a surprise in the next few days. Yep.

Shrike (Standard)

Shrike 2

Shrike 3

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #557 on: 27 October 2016, 04:24:51 »
After many, many delays here's the surprise; two of my most requested icons. Seriously. And they're both related to boot!

GRF-1A Griffin

GRF-2N-X Super Griffin

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #558 on: 27 October 2016, 06:39:50 »
Hurrah!!!!    :D :D :D  I have an icon for my mech in megamek.  Thank you Deadborder!!
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #559 on: 27 October 2016, 21:26:36 »
So why draw those two now, you may be asking. (Well, probably not, but hey). The answer is that we got the Classics Griffin kind of sort of in Spotlight: Crescent Hawks, which meant that I now could draw the 'new look' Griff. And along the way, I also had the chance to draw the primitive and Super Griffin which could now be done to a consistent basis. Oh, and because it's me, re-draw all the Reseen variants to. I love making my own life difficult.

Anyway, have a lot of Griffins.

GRF-1N/1DS Griffin

GRF-1S Griffin

GRF-2N Griffin

GRF-3M Griffin

GRF-4N Griffin

GRF-4R Griffin

GRF-5K Griffin

GRF-5L Griffin

GRF-5M Griffin

GRF-6CS Griffin

GRF-6S Griffin

GRF-6S2 Griffin

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #560 on: 03 November 2016, 06:36:17 »
It was a while between posts, I know. And besides the fact that I was super busy with RL stuff, the fact is that there was a very good reason as to why. There are a lot of Thunderbolt variants, no two ways about it. And even with some doubling up, there's still a lot to do. Plus, of course, the Thud is a pain to draw at the best of times, due to its assymetrical torso and off-center head.

But since it's one of my favourite 'Mechs, I don't care. I love the new Classics Thud art.

TDR-1C Thunderbolt

TDR-5S/7M Thunderbolt

TDR-5Sb Thunderbolt

TDR-5Sd Thunderbolt

TDR-5SE/9SE Thunderbolt

TDR-5SS Thunderbolt

TDR-7SE Thunderbolt

TDR-9M Thunderbolt

TDR-9NAIS Thunderbolt

TDR-9Nr Thunderbolt

TDR-9M Thunderbolt

TDR-9S Thunderbolt

TDR-9T Thunderbolt

TDR-10M Thunderbolt

TDR-10S Thunderbolt

TDR-10SE Thunderbolt

TDR-11SE Thunderbolt

TDR-17S Thunderbolt

TDR-60-RLA Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt C

Thunderbolt IIC (Standard)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #561 on: 08 November 2016, 20:21:46 »
After many (many, many...) delays we're back on track with the Jackalope. It's a perilous little critter with an odd shape, but that's not what makes it so hard to draw. No, what's the real challenge is the Wolpertinger, which is a bizarre variant built entirely on backwards moon logic. While all the other variants look the same, it has a major external difference, and makes it the single difference that's the hardest to construct on an icon. Yes, you, partial wings. You know who you are.

Otherwise I love this little beast.

JLP-BD/C/KA Jackalope

JLP-KW 'Wolpertinger' Jackalope

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #562 on: 11 November 2016, 03:24:33 »
The Night Stalker is just plain bizzare in so many different ways. I know that a lot of it's... eccentricities are the result of its MWDA origins, but even then it's a rather strange beast. Of course, that all makes it a challenge for me to draw. And my own attempt at updating my older icon inevitably turned into a full re-draw. This happens a lot.

NSR-K1/KC Night Stalker

NSR-K3/K4 Night Stalker

NSR-K7 Night Stalker

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #563 on: 11 November 2016, 12:13:38 »
Great and detail pics as always, Deadborder!

NSR-K7 Night Stalker
The K7 looks like it wielding a Nunchaku in it's hand..
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #564 on: 11 November 2016, 15:59:45 »
Great and detail pics as always, Deadborder!
The K7 looks like it wielding a Nunchaku in it's hand..

Chain whips are my bane

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #565 on: 12 November 2016, 02:47:00 »
And now for the Totally Not A Celestial that is the Kheper. This was actually a rather easy clean-up that was minimal pain. Weird the way these things work.

KHP-7R Kheper

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #566 on: 14 November 2016, 11:46:24 »
Chain whips are my bane
So unlike Rhianna, whips & chains don't excite you?
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #567 on: 16 November 2016, 01:19:23 »
The Lament is what I like to call a 'showcase' 'Mech; it's based around a single piece of tech that is key to its use. In this case, it's the awesome fun that is the Radical Heat Sink system. It does do a good job, however, resulting in a powerful energy boat heavy trooper. Well, save for the 4RC model which is just a little bit silly.

I described the RHS to one of my fellow players as "Heat Sink MASC". He thought it was the best thing ever.

LMT-2D Lament

LMT-2R Lament

LMT-3C Lament

LMT-3R Lament

LMT-4RC Lament

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #568 on: 18 November 2016, 20:53:25 »
The Uraeus is... yeah. I can't really call it bad, even though it on paper is. I think the word I'm looking for is bizzare, really. It's got an eclectic collection of weapons and features that don't really work together, and its TSM is a nightmare to manage. I suppose you could get a lot our of it if you had a really good pilot and were willing to spend a lot of time with a calculator but... yeah. I got nothing.

UAE-7R Uraeus

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #569 on: 21 November 2016, 02:54:25 »
And now we reach the end of TRO3145 with the Malice, a 'Mech that is surprisingly hard to draw despite being basically a rectangle with guns. It is still a rather imposing machine, even if it's configurations are a little... odd. Especially the YZ variant. Speaking of, what the hell is with those variant names?

MAL-XT/XV Malice

MAL-XP Malice

MAL-YZ Malice