Author Topic: JumpShips YES, DropShips NO  (Read 6683 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: JumpShips YES, DropShips NO
« Reply #30 on: 18 April 2019, 17:23:28 »
That's been suggested many times before... that Kearny and Fuchida not only discovered how to make FTL work, but that the science allowed even betterTM fusion...

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 20 April 2019, 12:02:08 »
Even a NERVA isn't too bad. A Gas Core Open Cycle on the other hand....

Nuclear salt water rocket

You basically have a nuclear salt dissolved in water, and spray it either into a reaction chamber or out the back.  When the uranium (or plutonium) salt in the water reaches critical mass, it starts detonating.  Keep pumping the water, and you get a continuous fission explosion going off behind your ship.  It does have high thrust and efficiency, but the launch site will glow blue for a few years afterward.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 22 April 2019, 08:06:03 »
Nuclear salt water rocket

You basically have a nuclear salt dissolved in water, and spray it either into a reaction chamber or out the back.  When the uranium (or plutonium) salt in the water reaches critical mass, it starts detonating.  Keep pumping the water, and you get a continuous fission explosion going off behind your ship.  It does have high thrust and efficiency, but the launch site will glow blue for a few years afterward.

That one I completely discount as absolutely crazy. Zubrin was out of his gourd. I mean... at that point you might as well just bite the bullet and use old boom boom [AKA: Orion Drive]

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #33 on: 22 April 2019, 09:44:19 »
That one I completely discount as absolutely crazy. Zubrin was out of his gourd. I mean... at that point you might as well just bite the bullet and use old boom boom [AKA: Orion Drive]

It's Jurassic Park science. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 22 April 2019, 16:28:39 »
With the exception of colonizing Mars, of course...  ^-^

Slightlylyons

• Recruit
« Reply #35 on: 10 May 2019, 16:18:02 »
I had a similar idea for a "realish" version of the Battletech universe but without changing any of the units or rules. The concept was.
1. Lagrange Points are the standard jump points so Jumpships emerge closer to the target.
2. The listed tonnage is dry mass, with every ship having a wet mass of liquid hydrogen equal to their dry mass. Eliminating that pesky mass fraction problem.
3. Drop ships and Jumpships have a "cruise speed" of 0.1g burning LH2.
4. The tonnage set aside in the existing states for fuel is LOX tankage. Used to augment thrust in launch, landing, and combat. Used as in the combat system. The high efficiency transit mode doesn't exist.
5. We ignore the decrease in weight increasing acceleration as to complicated for tabletop. Something something structurally integrity.

So in short, lower the acceleration of dropships outside of combat/atmosphere. Bring the jump point closer. Fiat a realistic mass fraction. Definitely don't run the math and if you squint at it it feels more real without requiring a lot of rocket science on the tabletop.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 12 May 2019, 19:28:27 »
So... a 50% mass fraction for all our friends?  ???

Slightlylyons

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 13 May 2019, 14:35:29 »
Basically, this is just for my own sanity. I also tend to upscale RCT's and their equivalents to Divisions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 13 May 2019, 16:21:35 »
Rog, makes sense from that perspective.  As I said up thread, I think cutting strategic thrust down by a factor of 10 gets it real enough for me.

Register