Hunting Party
0 (0%)
Red In Tooth And Claw
0 (0%)
The Improbable Life And Possible Death Of Alexandra Stephanie Hayes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: 29 May 2020, 07:16:53

Author Topic: Who Goes There?  (Read 91352 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Who Goes There?
« Reply #600 on: 05 June 2021, 19:34:35 »
Ultima Ratio Regum

I was born on... well, some place you've never heard of. We were the backwater of the backwaters, the kind of planet that only shows up on local maps and tax records.

We managed to sit out the worst of the Succession Wars, but there was a local legend from the First. Nobody's quite sure exactly which side of the boarder we were on at the time, or whose bright idea it was, but somebody got hold of a decrepit old Monitor, removed what was left of the weapons, and fitted it with an artillery piece, something usually dragged behind a big wheeled or tracked vehicle, and used to lob massive shells at targets kilometres away. Thus was born the myth of the Swamp Dragon, which would prowl the vast river-ways, estuaries and swamps of the tropics, its presence only marked by the occasional bombardment of, well, anything the crew didn't like the look of.

Control of the Swamp Dragon changed hands with the planet, although there was usually at least a little while before her crew would surrender... more often than not, dependant on how long their hidden supply caches held out. This state of affairs went on for years: soon as we got word of an invasion or raid, the Swamp Dragon would slip its moorings and disappear into the maze of river, lakes and waterways, hiding in reed beds and mangroves.

Now, you might think that it would be impossible to hide something as big as a Monitor, even with the regressed technology we have today, but it's a question of scale. See, a Monitor is a draft of only half a meter, meaning it can go places usually only accessible to hovercraft. It's also rather small, all things considered, and with an ICE engine, it can be very hard to pick up on thermals, and is completely invisible to neutrino scanners. Throw in a carefully applied pain scheme and a significant amount of scrim netting, and you're looking for a single pin in a field of haystacks. And forget human intelligence: very few people live out in the Swamp Dragons natural territory, and those who do... tend to keep their heads down and go out of their way not to pay attention to what anyone else is doing, on the understanding that they will return the favour.

Anyway, all was going well until somewhere between the First and Second Succession Wars, when we were visited by a unit conducting a deep raid to keep... look, lots of world's trade hands pretty often, and all that changes for most people is a new flag, and a new face on the money. And truth is, when you grow up learning two or more national anthems at school, you start not caring too much. You become a citizen of your world, and do your best to ignore the rest of the galaxy and their bullshit. Not easy to do on worlds that have something worth fighting a pitch battle over, even by the time of the Third and Fourth Wars, but, like I said, we're an easily overlooked world. So, please don't take it personally if the records of exactly who we were paying our taxes to, and who consequently attacked us, a couple of hundred years ago. We have better things to worry about.

But, as I was saying, we got word that someone was company was on its way, and the Swamp Dragon duly left harbour and disappeared into several thousand square kilometres of nothingness. Problem was, whoever it was leading this raid, they obviously didn't get the memo about the presence of the Swamp Dragon, and as such, made the mistake of landing their DropShips within artillery range of a river. Well, this was too good an opportunity to pass up, and, two days later, the crew of the Swamp Dragon gave the raiders an early morning wake-up call they'd never forget, dropping a dozen or so high explosive rounds onto their LZ from out of the pre-dawn darkness. Caught them completely by surprise, and caused considerable damage.

Now, any sane, sensible person would take the hint and relocate, but they took it personally, and made it their mission to hunt down the Swamp Dragon, once and far all.

Thus began a prolonged game of cat and mouse, with the raiders scouring the rivers in lakes for the Monitor, while it used hidden back-channels and swamps not on the maps to keep one step ahead. And, every so often, dropping a few more rounds down-range, just to remind everyone that they were there. And, sure as night follows day, with every day of fruitless searching, every shell burst, the Raiders anger grew and grew. Pretty soon, whatever objective their raid may have had was forgotten, and all their attention was put on hunting down the Swamp Dragon. Their fighters ran sweep after sweep, photographing every square centimetre of the wetlands and finding exactly nothing. This was followed by infantry patrols, and eventually the deployment of all their BattleMechs.

Oh, everyone else kept their heads down and let them get on with it: every hour they spent, knee deep in mud and sludge was an hour they weren't burning down houses or shooting up what minimal manufacturing capacity we had, even back then. Far better to let the waste their time chasing shadows than, well, anything else. All they seemed able to find were spent shell casings with...friendly messages etched into them. It was perfectly clear to everyone else that the crew of the Swamp Dragon were playing with them, and would only fire the occasional shell, just to keep them interested.

Unfortunately, as is often said, all good things must come to an end.

Eventually, the Raider commander stopped acting like an idiot, and started to actually think for a change. They realised that an incoming weather front had the sea all churned up, easily more than enough to overwhelming a shallow-draft, flat-bottomed brown-water craft like a Monitor. So they redeployed their forces to cut off key choke-points, then started a methodical sweep to drive the Swamp Dragon out into the open. The crew fought back, hitting what targets they could, but artillery isn't especially effective against moving targets, unless you have enough guns to saturate an area.

It took a couple of days, but eventually they managed to flush out the Swamp Dragon, and the old Monitor made her last stand.

Now, artillery isn't really intended to be used in close combat, but aside from hash language, hand gestures and a few small arms, it was all the crew of the Swamp Dragon had. But, you score a hit with a shell that big, and it doesn't really matter if it flew ten meters or ten thousand; it's still gonna hurt. Reports from the time tell of a savage, bitter fight, the Swamp Dragon going down in flames, her gun firing one last, defiant salvo even as she slipped beneath the waves. She settled low, the water shallow enough that the blackened and burnt end of her main gun could just about be seen above the waterline. Around her lay the burning hulks of three BattleMechs and a dozen vehicles, a testament to the fight she gave.

Well, history is defined as that which happened in the past, and it wasn't long before the Swamp Dragon became just another local legend. She was too far out, and reportedly in too bad a condition, for anyone to try and salvage, so she was allowed to rest peacefully for centuries.

That was, at least, until the Clan Smoke Jaguar came a calling.

Unlike our neighbours across the boarder, they didn't see fit to leave us to our own devices after running up their own flag. No, we had to learn new ways of talking, of thinking, of seeing ourselves and in the grand scheme of things. This wasn't exactly popular, but they'd been tearing through line units like they were made of tissue paper, so what chance did we have?

Well, despite just how badly we were outnumbered, eventually, someone decided to make a stand: a group of local farmers didn't like be told what to plant where, especially as their crops would simply be taken away by our new Clan overlords. I don't know if the Jags were looking for an excuse to remind us of our place in the New Order, but they decided to make an example of the fakers as only a genetically engineered, eugenics bread super-bastard can. Gathering together four of his most brutal warriors, the garrison commander led them on a march towards the farms.

Suddenly realising just how screwed they were, the farmers tried to back down, offered full and unconditional surrender. But the Jags were out for blood, and simply ignored their plees.

Well, they were making their way along the highway when evidently their threat detectors went off, and they suddenly stopped and started scanning the surroundings. I don't know if they'd have been better off if they'd kept moving, but suddenly something fell from the sky like the wrath of god and struck the commanders BattleMech right in the head. Clan Tech may be up to taking more of a beating than what we're used to in the Inner Sphere, but there's only so much even they can take, and that explosion tore through the cockpit like a fright train. Pilot probably died never knowing what hit him. His 'Mechs told there for a moment, almost like it was in shock, then fell face-first into the dirt, sending up a hell of a cloud of dust.

Jags went crazy, firing pretty much at random, doing little more than chopping down a few trees. Eventually, someone got their shit together, and started to plot the trajectory of the attack, and they moved out in force, calling up the rest of the garrison to follow suite. This gave the fakers more than enough time to grab what was most precious to them and scatter to the four winds.

I don't know what kind of training Clan warriors get, but maneuvering through soft, waterlogged terrain obviously isn't on the syllabus, as they managed to get several of their 'Mechs, and a not insignificant amount of their battle armour bogged-down in the swamp. Ended up having to ask, nicely, by their standards, for help and a guide. Eventually they reach the point where their fancy computers say that the attack came from... only to find the rusted, submerged wreck of the Swamp Dragon. A quick inspection found no signs of anyone having been there in years, but they did find a single recently spent shell casing still in the breach, upon which was stamped the words The Final Argument of Kings.

The End
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Who Goes There?
« Reply #601 on: 05 June 2021, 20:33:11 »
sniped by the dead.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #602 on: 06 June 2021, 03:10:44 »
Let the sleeping dragons sleep
Shoot first, laugh later.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #603 on: 06 June 2021, 04:46:41 »
Best to not provoke things that are left alone for a good reason.

That garrison commander however was an imbecile.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #604 on: 06 June 2021, 05:49:47 »
Heh... I wonder just how many Swamp Dragons there really were...  ^-^

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #605 on: 06 June 2021, 09:41:50 »
Nice!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #606 on: 06 June 2021, 10:06:42 »
Beware of undead Dragons.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #607 on: 01 July 2021, 22:38:26 »
Just 1 Swamp Dragoon...   Just someone or something used it for 1 last Bang.  and given that they got a threat warning, maybe someone was laser tagging that command mech.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

blacktigeractual

• Corporal
« Reply #608 on: 05 July 2021, 16:48:06 »
First, I'm enthralled by these. Secondly, I gotta admit A Light in the Darkness just got me in the feels. It's always the "hey, sometimes good stuff happens" stories that do.
The thing about Marauders is this, the big bad MAD was never unseen, reseen or whatever. We were always there.

I want to build something REAL....I want to bring our people out of the DARK AGES while there's something to save.
Elizabeth Ngo

J-H

• Corporal
« Reply #609 on: 26 September 2022, 20:33:04 »
Based on seeing the same stories posted repeatedly in two places, I believe that the author known here as JA Baker posted under the name Starbug over on Spacebattles.  Unfortunately, I must report that he has passed from this mortal coil.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/starbug-has-passed-beyond-the-rim.1040823/

His stories were always very enjoyable.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #610 on: 27 September 2022, 19:44:49 »
Ooof, that is sad to hear. Always enjoyed the variety of stories he wrote.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #611 on: 27 September 2022, 20:43:56 »
That still heart breaking despite it being old news now.

I've collected all the stories from here and on the Battletech Fanon wiki to make it backup.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #612 on: 30 September 2022, 06:31:22 »
😢 😞 he shall be missed.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #613 on: 30 September 2022, 08:07:20 »
A moment of silence for our fallen comrade.

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #614 on: 30 September 2022, 10:02:39 »
 :-X  :(  :'(

He shall be missed indeed. o7

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #615 on: 30 September 2022, 10:30:37 »
I didn't want to believe it when I first heard.

I still don't want to believe it, but we can't always have what we want, now can we?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #616 on: 30 September 2022, 16:45:22 »
Sadly not...  :-\

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #617 on: 02 October 2022, 22:29:42 »
RIP I will miss his stuff :crash:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ChaserGrey

• Private
« Reply #618 on: 23 July 2023, 11:48:26 »
Sorry for the thread necro, but I thought any other "Who Goes There?" fans might be interested in knowing I just finished painting minis of the Four Horsemen of the SLDF, from "Upon a Pale Horse."  Thread is at https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=82075.msg1949570.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #619 on: 23 July 2023, 13:42:46 »
Sorry for the thread necro, but I thought any other "Who Goes There?" fans might be interested in knowing I just finished painting minis of the Four Horsemen of the SLDF, from "Upon a Pale Horse."  Thread is at https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=82075.msg1949570.

Thanks. I know I'm interested.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register