Author Topic: Phoenix, AZ Battletech in 2016  (Read 38347 times)

readejc

• Recruit
Re: Phoenix, AZ Battletech in 2016
« Reply #210 on: 22 January 2017, 17:03:37 »
I am very frustrated with how yesterday's game played out.  I felt from the get-go that there was no way to win.  This is the second time now that I feel the gm force was designed to defeat mine.  I reiterate: I FEEL.  I'm not saying it was intentional, it just feels that way.

After seeing which forces were on which table, the gm force should have been edited.  2x apc with an infantry squad each versus each player on our table...when we had 3 ba between us, none of which were designed to be anti-infantry, yet having infantry inside the dropship at the last turn was necessary, made the scenario objective #1 impossible to achieve.  With Joel knowing our forces beforehand, this should NEVER have happened.  If I have infiltrator mk 2 puma ba, my opposition should include infantry that I CAN defeat, not infantry that will overwhelm my 4 man squad using 2x 28 man infantry platoons. The infantry in my roster have been there since the beginning of the campaign - ergo the GM knew they were not anti infantry capable. I was limited to 3 units in my force (+ carried infantry): champion, hussar and karnov carrying infiltrators.  The army designed to face me was a warhammer, a panther, a patton and 2 apcs each with infantry.  So off the bat, I'm outnumbered and outgunned.  There was ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to win.  Removing half of the apc's and infantry before beginning would have given both sides equal number of infantry to at least potentially achieve goal #1, as well as slightly mitigate the overwhelming advantage in numbers that the gm force had from 7:4 to 5:4.  a second option would be GM supplied apc's and infantry to augment our force, to make the objective attainable.

The board setup was also not in the player's favor.  The dropship was significantly closer to the enemy side than the player side; enemy tanks started on the board, roughly 15 hexes in; enemy 4/6 mechs entered on turn 1; enemy apc's began offloading infantry adjacent to the dropship on turn two.  So force superiority, terrain advantage, and tactical deployment were all out of the players grasp from the outset.

'Rescue the Dropship' could be a fun mission.  I like the idea, and I like trying to build an army out of my limited roster that can match up with the scenario restrictions. Overwhelming advantage on the GM side, however, makes the game frustrating, and honestly, when I saw what was arrayed against us, I knew I was only going to lose points.  This is not the campaign I am interested in playing.

Mercenaries do not enter a battle they expect to lose unless the pay warrants the risk.  I lost money on this scenario.  I think this is another scenario (like the first campaign game) where our employer should compensate for the overwhelming inherent risk in the mission.

My 28 cents, anyway.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #211 on: 22 January 2017, 17:07:33 »
Game #5 Combined Salvage Pool

I believe under Joel's new Salvage rules there is no priority to who did the kill or what table it was on.

All salvage is open to blind bid via Email with Minimum Bid being the original base Salvage values.

I did realize that yesterday's estimates were not accurate from memory & per the rules the correct values for each unit are listed below

Salvage value of a destroyed unit is 25% of purchase price
Salvage value of an immobilized/abandoned unit is 50% of purchase price if crippled,
75% if not (e.g., pilot killed without head destruction, “Crew Killed” vehicle critical).

Salvageable Units:
Enforcer-III-6Ma  (Crippled)  50*10*.5 = 500 SP Minimum Bid
Saladin-Armor  (Immobilized)  35*5*.75 = 131 SP Minimum Bid
Patton-Standard  (Immobilized)  65*5*.75 = 244 SP Minimum Bid
Vedette-RAC  (Crippled)  50*10*.5 = 250 SP Minimum Bid
Vedette-RAC  (Crippled)  50*10*.5 = 250 SP Minimum Bid

So the Patton & Saladin are actually higher.

I'll edit posts above for correct awards.

So you can all email Joel those bids w/ the minimums listed above.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2017, 17:27:38 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #212 on: 22 January 2017, 17:25:59 »
enemy tanks started on the board, roughly 15 hexes in;

I lost money on this scenario. 

While I agree with much of what you said, I have to point out these 2 small parts.

1.  Placing those tanks being so far ahead is what actually allowed you to cripple & salvage them. $$ ;)
Had they entered w/ the mechs, I doubt very much that you could have pulled that off.

2.  You didn't actually loose money as my post shows.
Reward is going to be a MINIMUM of 373 SP earned & could go up based on bid sizes.

The only known repairs are the 2 squads of destroyed BA that will be back in action after 2 games worth of Healing/Repairs that only cost time, not SP.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

readejc

• Recruit
« Reply #213 on: 22 January 2017, 17:49:58 »

While i appreciate your point, "Time is money".

373sp does not warrant entering the field for a near-guaranteed loss.  ;)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #214 on: 22 January 2017, 18:47:15 »
373 was what the battle ended up with........ Potential was 550 each before Salvage.

Potential was enough to buy a L1 Medium mech or L2 Medium Tank for the game, or a Gunnery skill increase is a decent base amount.  End result is still Lights or close to that Gunnery.

Not a great payout but not a loss in SP either.

I already stated my thoughts on getting this one to a "balanced" level above, but essentially....

1.  Cut the Infantry in 1/2
2.  Turn Area Control into combat cripples.

I'd Redo the goals into "Marginal" & "Decisive" levels for Victory & boost the reward a bit.

Goal #1:  Dropship Control
150 SP - Marginal - Contested Dropship Control an End of Game  (Both sides have Infantry inside)
300 SP - Decisive - Complete Dropship Control at EoG  (Only Player Infantry Inside)

Goal #2:  Defeat Enemy Forces
150 SP - Marginal - Cripple 25% of Enemy by Unit Count & outnumber them in non-crippled units.
300 SP - Decisive - Cripple 50% of Enemy by BV & have more BV left in non-crippled condition.

I added the part in italics when I realized the goal could be reached in a Pyrrhic manner while loosing 3/4 of the player forces which I don't think should be a good thing just because repairs are free.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #215 on: 25 January 2017, 20:51:48 »
WEST TABLE - GAME #5 - CAPTURE THE DROPSHIP

DEATH / DAMAGE / CRIPPLES
PLAYERS:
INFILTRATOR-II-MAGNETIC "SQUAD"  (4/5) - J.B.  (DEAD - OUT 2 GAMES TO HEAL)
INFILTRATOR-II-MAGNETIC "SQUAD"  (4/5) - JAS.  (DEAD - OUT 2 GAMES TO HEAL)

After double checking the healing rules, I had something wrong.

Its actually only 1 game out for Infantry.

Heal 50% between games.

So...

0-50 = No games Missed
51-100 = 1 Game missed.

Joel may change this in the future as the GM.

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #216 on: 25 January 2017, 21:07:07 »
So that means my Marauder Squad that got 100% killed will be available for the next game because the MASH truck healed them up to half already?

As for the game itself I felt it was more balanced and fun than the AirRaid mission in November. Having the enemy come on in waves helped to deal with the superior numbers, and while the double infantry seems a little much at first glance, fielding BA (at least on our table) feels adequate. My Marauder BAs faced off against two hover infantry platoons and 3 or 4 of the smaller platoons before getting reinforced by our other BA squads. I only lost 4 troopers and massacred a couple of enemy infantry units.

Turns took a while, though that's to be expected when you've got 4 people trying to coordinate their movements. Shooting seemed to go fairly smoothly given the number of units. The biggest problem was too much non-game related jawing, which I was just as guilty of, especially when our GM got pulled away to answer questions in the middle of shooting.

My biggest problem, would be a clearer secondary objective. Having to force the enemy beyond weapons range, pretty much means you have to table them in order to clearly get that objective. Something along the lines of the "cripple and outnumber" objective that Hellraiser proposed would certainly help define that type of mission in a clearer fashion.

Over all I had fun and am looking forward to the next campaign mission!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #217 on: 25 January 2017, 22:39:55 »
So that means my Marauder Squad that got 100% killed will be available for the next game because the MASH truck healed them up to half already?

That is the way I'm reading it now yes.
When I posted I was thinking it was 1 & 2 games v/s 0 & 1 games & so was off a bit.
Having a MASH would speed that up even more.
So assuming no changes.
Yes, it would be ready for the campaign game in March.

My Marauder BAs faced off against two hover infantry platoons and 3 or 4 of the smaller platoons before getting reinforced by our other BA squads. I only lost 4 troopers and massacred a couple of enemy infantry units.
The Marauder is a much deadlier machine when it comes to facing infantry in the open.

You also had many more squads than did the table I GM'd.

The Infiltrator-II-Magnetic that were deployed on the table I was running, while being an AMAZING, suit of armor, are not well suited for dealing w/ PBI hordes.

1.  Stat wise, the Stealth Armor didn't help them & the Magshots do minimal damage to PBI.

2.  Tactics wise, they didn't get to see the PBI till after they were inside, so there was no catching them out in the open. 

3.  Finally, of the 3 squads on the table, only 1 really got to engage.  1 was still mounted up on a mech, while a 2nd squad dismounted in front of my Guillotine at better to hit #'s that anything else on the battlefield & so I sent some ERML/Streak love its way & took out 75% of the squad before it got inside the dropship.

So it came down to 1 squad v/s a full company that came in from the other side of the DS.

Not a lot they could do at that point.

For your table I was surprised the Griffin/Firestarter-O combo didn't go after the infantry,  that pair could roast the better part of that entire infantry battalion in a few turns.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #218 on: 25 January 2017, 22:50:08 »
For your table I was surprised the Griffin/Firestarter-O combo didn't go after the infantry,  that pair could roast the better part of that entire infantry battalion in a few turns.

The players on my table advanced more cautiously; the GM infantry was already inside the dropship by the time they got into range.

Also, woohoo! The boards are back online!  :D I can post what I was going to two days ago:

I am very frustrated with how yesterday's game played out.  I felt from the get-go that there was no way to win.  This is the second time now that I feel the gm force was designed to defeat mine.  I reiterate: I FEEL.  I'm not saying it was intentional, it just feels that way.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I make these difficult because I didn't think the players wanted walkovers. This time your table had it rough, exacerbated by how few rounds you got in. THAT is a problem I'm going to have to work on; in the past players had requested the GM forces not have so many high-end, skilled units, but if they continue to bring them on themselves, the choices for the opposition are piles of cheap GM units (leading to too few rounds) or having it seem as if I'm ignoring their pleas. I do think I'm going to make sure that "objective-based" scenarios have low player unit counts.

After seeing which forces were on which table, the gm force should have been edited.

Sorry, no. I'm not changing forces just because some players didn't buy good infantry, despite previous warnings that there would be infantry-required battles at some point. I made it so you could ignore the infantry requirement if you wanted, instead focusing on just getting one mission (you massively out-BV'd the enemy if you ignored their infantry, even factoring in your token infantry forces). Also, in my defense, I bring to your attention the other table, where the inside of the dropship was painted with the blood of GM infantry. It will only fly again after rigorous application of a wet-vac.

I have changed the rules going forward, removing the "lead time" on new hires/purchases.

Mercenaries do not enter a battle they expect to lose unless the pay warrants the risk.  I lost money on this scenario.  I think this is another scenario (like the first campaign game) where our employer should compensate for the overwhelming inherent risk in the mission.

As Hellraiser pointed out, you didn't lose anything (other than some infantry that's out for two battles). The rules have been set up so that it's very hard for the players to lose money -- they basically have to lose units and fail to hold the field (which is why the missions where you do not hold the field have seemed a bit easy, btw). I thought the point of the campaign was to play Battletech in a structured set of battles. If you feel it's only worth your time to play if you're guaranteed an easy win...

I do think Hellraiser's suggestion that I make each victory condition have minor/major rewards is good, and I'll try to do that in the future.

I'd also like to point out that, while no one wants to enter a battle at a disadvantage, sometimes intel is wrong, or the enemy has managed to get a step on you. Unless we're going to break out the StratOps/InterstellarOps strategic-level rules, you'll have to accept that the GM applies "bad intel" as fiat to make scenarios something other than "your side beats the snot out of the other side, then goes for beer." If I can ever figure out a way for us to get 12+ rounds in, I'd love to run a game where the opfor has 120% of your BV, and I hand you new mission objectives ("Run!") at game time.  >:D

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #219 on: 26 January 2017, 00:43:12 »
In hindsight with the way the infantry got divided up between tables we should have just written off the infantry goal.  We were screwed on that point from the get go.  We should just have dropped them on the vehicles where they could do something they were actually good at.   O0

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #220 on: 26 January 2017, 22:04:22 »
That would have been a good tactic & put more mech fire onto my mechs.

IMO, the biggest thing that I think you guys could have done was before the game ever started.

Buy different BA.   The Longinus-Magnetic & the Fa Shih-Support variant both mount multiple weapons w/ burst bonuses to trash conventional infantry.

I know you wanted matching miniatures but in this case the loss of "potential" use of Edge on the mini could have been well worth the better weapons

Its the choice I made for Taranis-BA & Regulator Hovercraft in my own force.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #221 on: 26 January 2017, 22:06:30 »
I'd love to run a game where the opfor has 120% of your BV, and I hand you new mission objectives ("Run!") at game time.  >:D

Now THAT is the kind of scenario when we play sideways coming in from the long edges to make for some room to RUN around.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #222 on: 26 January 2017, 23:45:06 »
Now THAT is the kind of scenario when we play sideways coming in from the long edges to make for some room to RUN around.

Yeah, that's just messed up enough to be interesting. :D

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #223 on: 26 January 2017, 23:52:33 »
That would have been a good tactic & put more mech fire onto my mechs.

IMO, the biggest thing that I think you guys could have done was before the game ever started.

Buy different BA.   The Longinus-Magnetic & the Fa Shih-Support variant both mount multiple weapons w/ burst bonuses to trash conventional infantry.

I know you wanted matching miniatures but in this case the loss of "potential" use of Edge on the mini could have been well worth the better weapons

Its the choice I made for Taranis-BA & Regulator Hovercraft in my own force.

You aren't saying anything I didn't think of but the fact is I like using units I like even if they aren't the most perfect.  And if the forces had split differently it wouldn't have mattered so much. 

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #224 on: 27 January 2017, 01:53:49 »
Well, bollocks.  It didn't matter for our table but I don't think we were doing damage correctly for infantry inside buildings.  From the current errata:

Quote from: Total Warfare v4.3 Fourth Printing pp 12
When burst-fire weapons are used against conventional infantry in a building hex, assign damage per the Burst-Fire Weapon Damage Vs. Conventional Infantry Table (p. 217), but reduce the damage by half (round as normal). Damage assigned to the building is per the weapon’s non-burst-fire damage; see Attacks Against Conventional Infantry, page 215.

...and so much for BA hanging off a WiGE:

Quote from: Total Warfare v4.3 Fourth Printing pp 16
Movement Restrictions: Whether or not the battle armor is equipped with magnetic clamps, no vehicle may expend UMU, VTOL, WiGE or Jumping MP while carrying mechanized battle armor, and no ’Mech may expend UMU MP.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2017, 02:11:03 by Jim1701 »

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #225 on: 27 January 2017, 09:47:32 »
Ah, they added WiGE to the list. Good, actually -- that makes sense. (Hell of a ride, though.)
The infantry errata would have meant my table had it even easier. I guess I need to go through my first printing with a stack of sticky-notes, tagging the major fixes...   :-\

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #226 on: 28 January 2017, 11:21:00 »
What was your table doing?

I thought the rule was Burst Damage didn't work inside buildings.

I like these new versions in both cases, except for that Jumping thing, if Mechs can do it, I see no reason why vehicles can't.  Holding on is Holding on.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #227 on: 28 January 2017, 14:41:26 »
Oh, that's only from outside to in? Then we did it right, as I disallowed all outside fire (armored dropship, after all).

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #228 on: 28 January 2017, 17:09:19 »
No, that was for inside to inside too. 

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #229 on: 28 January 2017, 17:13:07 »
We did it as "no burst damage." So they would have dealt with the infantry even more easily.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #230 on: 28 January 2017, 17:41:26 »
Like I said no help for our table, unfortunately.  OTOH, at your table they would have had a harder time getting all the BA to the dropship since they wouldn't have been able to have a squad hanging off the WiGE. 

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #231 on: 28 January 2017, 17:44:17 »
squad hanging off the WiGE. 

Sir what is that noise, is that some sort of sonic weaponry?

(wwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

No, I think someone just thinks they are at Castles & Coasters & not in the middle of a firefight.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #232 on: 28 January 2017, 17:48:57 »
Like I said no help for our table, unfortunately.  OTOH, at your table they would have had a harder time getting all the BA to the dropship since they wouldn't have been able to have a squad hanging off the WiGE.

Partially true -- however, he had two squads inside the WiGE -- he just couldn't drop all three. Since the third didn't even make it into the dropship, the inside fight wouldn't have changed much.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #233 on: 28 January 2017, 17:51:29 »
I like these new versions in both cases, except for that Jumping thing, if Mechs can do it, I see no reason why vehicles can't.  Holding on is Holding on.

And I still think it is stupid that only omnis can carry BA normally.  A handhold is a handhold is a handhold as far as I'm concerned and not some super technology that can only be fitted to omnis.

Partially true -- however, he had two squads inside the WiGE -- he just couldn't drop all three. Since the third didn't even make it into the dropship, the inside fight wouldn't have changed much.

Gotcha.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #234 on: 28 January 2017, 18:28:00 »
And I still think it is stupid that only omnis can carry BA normally.  A handhold is a handhold is a handhold as far as I'm concerned and not some super technology that can only be fitted to omnis.

Pretty sure there was some optional rule mentioned somewhere in one of the older books that "welded" on hand holds for early BA.

IIRC it duplicated the effects of Magclamps but was doing it from the Mech end instead of the BA end.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #235 on: 04 February 2017, 12:17:48 »
After all the talk & changing of how Salvage works ............. and the issues w/ not enough units in forces that are 5/8+ for the "Fast Units Only" scenarios........ 

I'm dumbfounded at no one bidding on the Enforcer-III that was up for grabs after last game  /boggle.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #236 on: 05 February 2017, 13:58:51 »
Don't look at me all my units go 5/8 or faster and AFAIK those that don't have enough units of that type aren't paying attention to this discussion.  :o

MAD5S

• Recruit
« Reply #237 on: 19 March 2017, 23:07:29 »
Hey Joel,

Thank you for the game yesterday.  I am showing the following salvage from table 2.

Standard Tech Longbow - Lost left torso - XL engine destruction
Standard Tech Enforcer III - critical hit to head - lost cockpit
Standard Tech Guillotine - Head shot off
Musketeer - Immobile - Crew abandoned
Alacorn - Immobile - Crew abandoned
Standard Tech Valkyrie - Lost right torso - XL engine destruction
Standard Tech Locust - Lost left torso - XL engine destruction
« Last Edit: 20 March 2017, 17:51:02 by MAD5S »

Kartr_Kana

• Corporal
« Reply #238 on: 21 March 2017, 14:45:30 »
Hey Joel,

Thank you for the game yesterday.  I am showing the following salvage from table 2.

Standard Tech Longbow - Lost left torso - XL engine destruction
Standard Tech Enforcer III - critical hit to head - lost cockpit
Standard Tech Guillotine - Head shot off
Alacorn - Immobile - Crew abandoned
Standard Tech Valkyrie - Lost right torso - XL engine destruction
Standard Tech Locust - Lost left torso - XL engine destruction
What happened to the Harasser? I don't remember it exploding.

readejc

• Recruit
« Reply #239 on: 21 March 2017, 18:37:12 »
The harasser got atomized by the archangel on turn 1