Author Topic: *totally not a Genecaste colony just an uninhabited planet nothing to see here*  (Read 3987 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
Has anyone worked Genecaste into their campaigns? Or better yet does anyone play as Genecaste?

For Transcendence!  :D
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Archangel

• Major
Once, probably never again.  Their utility is far too limited.  Pretty much any role they fill in a campaign can be filled by another group more effectively/believably (ex.:  the Society, Belters, any group whose members use implants, basically any group).

The problem is that the genecaste are a reclusive faction with limited political/military ambitions.  Their territorial expansion is usually into areas where most other groups tend not to go (usually due to environmental conditions).  Those who interact most with the outside world have undergone the least genetic manipulation and thus are effectively no different than a standard npc with one or two implants.  The most senior of the group (aka those who have undergone the most genetic manipulation) are extremely reclusive and, on occasion, are limited to particular environments due to the extreme genetic manipulation thus making them as rare, if not rarer, than senior MD.

By the time the players realized they were being manipulated by the Genecaste (due to the introduction of a more senior member of the Genecaste who was beginning to show visible signs of genetic manipulation), the immediate storyline was almost over.  When given the option of pursuing the Genecaste and regaining some of what they lost (pride, resources, their pay), the players opted to move on rather than spend more time on a group whose participation in the campaign so far was lackluster.  It didn't help that the indications were that it would cost the players more in the long run to continue the storyline than they could possibly hope to recoup from the Genecaste.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Has anyone worked Genecaste into their campaigns? Or better yet does anyone play as Genecaste?

For Transcendence!  :D

Yes. The players just didn't know it. :)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
The Genecaste have too many problems and are too unbelievable, the inability for geneforms to bred true and various other bits and pieces about how they structure their society that don't make sense.

I also found the enhancements a bit too neat, very useful for characters, but not making too much sense.