Author Topic: Consolidated Cluster Hits Roll  (Read 1876 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Consolidated Cluster Hits Roll
« on: 01 July 2019, 21:52:49 »
This one is pretty simple: add up the total size of all like weapons that hit, and roll on the Cluster Hits Table column that corresponds to that number.  If the total amount goes over 40, split it in half as evenly as possible.

Examples:

Two UAC/10s firing in ultra mode would roll on the 4 table.
Three RAC/5s firing at 3, 4, and 5 shots each would roll on the 12 table.
Two LRM-20s would roll on the 40 table.

Thinking about it:

LRM-15 + LRM-10 (for example, looking at you Yeoman) roll on the 25 table.
MML-7 firing SRMs and SRM-6 roll on the 13 table.

Pros: Ultra Autocannons deserve so much more than the 2 table; on the 4 table the average (7 result) is 3 hits.  Fewer dice rolls between weapons, especially units that have multiple cluster weapons of the same type (i.e. multiple SRM-2s).  Higher cluster table columns are usually more forgiving.

Cons: A single bad roll can just dumpster all of your cluster hit weapons.  The cluster hits table only goes to 40, getting riiiiiiight there or a little bit over makes it more complicated than just doing things normally.  Multiple weapons that usually squeak into extra hit clusters (multiple LRM-10s) now get fewer clusters but also greater damage concentration.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
Re: Consolidated Cluster Hits Roll
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2019, 04:34:53 »
It would sound like a plan - but you should have the disadvantage that you also only get a single to hit-roll.
Speaking off Mechs like the Kraken you only need two rolls - one for to hit with 20 rounds of AC2 and one to get the clusters (might be an idea to apply damage in clusters of 5 as well) - of course, the chance that you deal more damage is outweighed by the chance to deal no damage at all.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2019, 16:24:42 »
The "2" column is the best on the whole table (71% hits, "3", "6" and "12" columns are next with 67%, "4" column gets 66%).

But I support the idea. I use it for LRMs, thought I break it at salvos of 20 (so 7 LRM5s would fire as one LRM20 plus one LRM15).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2019, 19:24:12 »
I think consolidating the to hit roll goes a little too far.  Reducing the number of cluster rolls is a noble goal, but I think the cost is too much.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2019, 21:02:21 »
I think consolidating the to hit roll goes a little too far.  Reducing the number of cluster rolls is a noble goal, but I think the cost is too much.

Note: I didn't suggest that, and I also think that's too much.  Just consolidating the cluster hits was the goal, primarily because rolling for two Ultras feels better on the 4 table than the 2 table.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2019, 03:28:31 »
Ah, so just combining the cluster hits of the weapons that hit?  That makes much more sense.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2019, 04:16:37 »
Ah, misread. Still makes senses (my reason for the LRM change is because it makes spamming LRM5s less advantageous). But it does make multiple UACs a little bit worse, you'll have to take that into acount.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2019, 09:29:53 »
It does, by about a sixth of a hit a turn.  I think it feels better to be able to roll a 7 and get extra hits, though, regardless of whether that's actually more or less likely than any combination of 8+ on the 2 column.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2019, 16:00:16 »
Just means you roll 6s instead... :p