Author Topic: Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company (well, Regiment now)  (Read 17858 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company
« Reply #60 on: 17 August 2020, 21:32:40 »
No, more like this  ^-^

One of 69 completed.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company
« Reply #61 on: 19 August 2020, 07:57:15 »
Okay, so how's this look for a heavy company:

Command Lance:
Orion
Grasshopper
Thunderbolt
Wyvern

Stalker Lance:
Dragon
Shadow Hawk
Griffin
Scorpion

Sweeper Lance:
Assassin
Javelin
Jenner
Jenner
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #62 on: 19 August 2020, 09:05:32 »
It looks fine to me, very movement matched, but at 51.67 tons per mech I'm not sure I'd call it a "Heavy" company.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #63 on: 19 August 2020, 09:07:24 »
It looks fine to me, very movement matched, but at 51.67 tons per mech I'm not sure I'd call it a "Heavy" company.
Well, medium/heavy
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company
« Reply #64 on: 20 September 2020, 08:34:44 »
Okay, so working on 2nd Company, 2nd Battalion, looking to make another medium/heavy company (2nd Battalion is going to be medium/heavy). Have two lances worked out so far:

Scout:
Mercury
Spider
Cicada
Assassin

Striker:
Shadow Hawk
Wolverine
Griffin
Dervish

Now, I have a few options moving forwards. I have an Enforcer, Panther and Blackjack, so another 4/6/4 would complete a fire Lance. Or I have a Vulcan and a Clint that I could build a 7/9/7 Lance around.

Thoughts/suggestions/rum based beverages welcome.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company (well, Regiment now)
« Reply #65 on: 20 September 2020, 18:04:22 »
Whitworth would be perfect if you want to stick to mediums.  Catapult would work too.  Crusader-3L, if you can get one.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #66 on: 20 September 2020, 19:16:37 »
Whitworth would be perfect if you want to stick to mediums.  Catapult would work too.  Crusader-3L, if you can get one.
See, now I'm torn: I despise the Whitworth with a passion, but it would be a good fit, and the AFFS have been scraping them off the battlefield and housing out the poor, dumb DCMS pilots for centuries. And the Catapult could easily have been recovered after a Cappy raid, and as there's already one in First Battalion, it's one less different design that the techs and quartermasters have to worry about (shakes fist at the sky "damn you, Cannonshop!"). Would love another Crusader, but my "all metal, all Unseen" policy for this unit makes that an expensive option.

Got a lot to think about

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #67 on: 02 October 2020, 06:11:41 »
Okay, so a recent eBay purchase has given me a couple of options:
1) Grasshopper. Iittle on the heavy side for what's supposed to be a medium company, but could make for a decent company command 'Mech.
2) Enforcer. Because, as has already been stated in the thread, nothing says "Davion Militia" quite like an Enforcer.
3) Trebuchet. To be specific, the 5J variant, which trades firepower for mobility. Little bit too fast for the 4/6/4, and slow for the 7/9/7, but I can make it work. Just have to say that they salvaged it from the Capellans, who salvaged it from the League.

Thoughts?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 02 October 2020, 08:09:09 »

then Hopper is a good command or headhunter mech
the Treb is also but for a faster lance
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #69 on: 03 October 2020, 08:00:51 »
For another company, start around a fire support lance with the Trebuchet, a Dervish and a pair of Valkyries. All are 5/8/5.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #70 on: 03 October 2020, 17:57:51 »
For another company, start around a fire support lance with the Trebuchet, a Dervish and a pair of Valkyries. All are 5/8/5.
Maybe just one Valkyrie: they're not so easy to come by, and none too cheap when they do.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 03 October 2020, 18:12:40 »
if you are a davion regiment or even davion aligned valkyries are easy to get and as a 30 tonner not bad pricewise, granted with a 5/8/5 move you have a huge batch of possibles right up to 60 tons
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #72 on: 03 October 2020, 20:02:34 »
if you are a davion regiment or even davion aligned valkyries are easy to get and as a 30 tonner not bad pricewise, granted with a 5/8/5 move you have a huge batch of possibles right up to 60 tons
... I'm talking about the cost of the miniature, especially as I'm going "all metal, no plastic" on this.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 03 October 2020, 23:16:14 »
ouch

but metals suck in comparison
harder to convert, less variety in models, far more expensive
if you prefer the older look ok, get a 3d printer
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 16 October 2020, 12:13:12 »
Okay, so a recent eBay purchase has given me a couple of options:
1) Grasshopper. Iittle on the heavy side for what's supposed to be a medium company, but could make for a decent company command 'Mech.
2) Enforcer. Because, as has already been stated in the thread, nothing says "Davion Militia" quite like an Enforcer.
3) Trebuchet. To be specific, the 5J variant, which trades firepower for mobility. Little bit too fast for the 4/6/4, and slow for the 7/9/7, but I can make it work. Just have to say that they salvaged it from the Capellans, who salvaged it from the League.

Thoughts?

I would go with the grasshopper unless in my hands can be a good zombie mech for a commander
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Looking for help expanding a Lance to a Company (well, Regiment now)
« Reply #75 on: 17 October 2020, 19:51:23 »
I would go with the grasshopper unless in my hands can be a good zombie mech for a commander
Any recommendations?

Side note: got a Flea off eBay. Thinking of going with the FLE-15, and putting it with a pair of Commandos to build another scout lance around.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 17 October 2020, 21:42:14 »
And maybe a Cicada as lance leader. Depending on the era, there are some absolutely kickass Cicadas out there.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #77 on: 24 October 2020, 07:44:25 »
What do you guys think about a Phoenix Hawk, a Trebuchet, a Dervish and a Valkyrie for the command lance of 3rd Company, 2nd Battalion?

EDIT: or Phoenix Hawk, Wolverine, Dervish and Valkyrie?
« Last Edit: 24 October 2020, 11:14:20 by JA Baker »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #78 on: 24 October 2020, 12:11:44 »
After some shifting and swapping, the 9TH'S TO&E looks like this:

Regimental Command Lance (3/5/0): Atlas, Marauder II

1st Battalion (Battle/Assault)
Battalion Command Lance (4/6/0): Cyclops, Cyclops, Zeus, Zeus

Battalion HQ Company
Battalion Command Lance (4/6/0): Awesome, BattleMaster
Support Lance (6/8/0): Dragon, Trebuchet, Scorpion,
Sweeper Lance (6/8/6): Dervish, Valkyrie,

1st Line Company
Command Lance (4/6/0): Orion, Orion, Thunderbolt, Centurion
Fire Lance
Stalker Lance (7/9/0): Commando, Commando, Flea,

2nd Line Company
Command
Striker
Scout

2nd Battalion (Cavalry)
Battalion Command Lance

Battalion HQ Company
Command Lance (4/6/4): Grasshopper, Wyvern, Enforcer, Blackjack
Fire Lance (6/8/6): Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine, Phoenix Hawk
Scout Lance (9/11/9): Assassin, Javelin, Jenner, Jenner

1st Line Company
Hammer Lance (4/6/4): Grasshopper, Enforcer, Blackjack, Panther
Battle Lance (6/8/6): Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine
Scout Lance (10/12/10): Mercury, Spider, Cicada, Assassin

2nd Line Company
Stalker
Striker Lance (4/6/4): Blackjack, Panther
Skirmisher Lance (7/9/7): Vulcan, Clint, Wasp, Wasp

3rd Battalion (Battle)
Battalion Command Lance (4/6/0): Battlemaster, Battlemaster, Goliath, Hunchback

Battalion HQ Company (4/6/0+):
Guard Lance: JagerMech, Rifleman, Wolfhound, Commando
Flanker Lance: Enforcer, Enforcer, Blackjack, Blackjack
Scout Lance: Vulcan, Ostscout, Stinger, Stinger

1st Line Company (3/5/0+):
Hammer Lance: Marauder, Marauder, Warhammer, Warhammer
Anvil Lance: Thunderbolt, Longbow, Catapult, Vindicator
Fire Support Lance: Archer, Crusader, Crusader, Crusader

2nd Line Company (5/8/0+):
Cavalry Lance: Wolverine, Crossbow, Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk
Fire Lance: Griffin, Griffin, Dervish, Valkyrie
Recon Lance: Phoenix Hawk, Wasp, Wasp, Stinger

Moved some units around and made 1st Battalion the 3rd Battalion to better fit Sharpe's "up from the ranks" origin story.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2020, 18:55:07 by JA Baker »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 24 October 2020, 15:03:47 »
No vehicles? An LCT is within reach!  :thumbsup: :wheelchair:

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #80 on: 24 October 2020, 16:45:24 »
No vehicles? An LCT is within reach!  :thumbsup: :wheelchair:
They had LCT's back then?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 24 October 2020, 17:19:25 »
Well go for the RCT then! Where's your ambition!

(Seriously, you can have a lot of fun mixing & matching vees to complement your 'Mechs. And you need ground-pounders with or without tin cans to actually take & hold objectives)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #82 on: 24 October 2020, 18:20:58 »
I have some more spare Mechs somewhere, including an unseen Longbow and Scorpion. Will try and dig them out later.

Know I have an Atlas, but that's more Stiener and a bit too heavy for what's still supposed to be a skirmisher force.

If you're putting the Longbow in you should have space for an Atlas

Also one shot hand held weapons could be fun given their origins

EDIT read first page not rest lol you've got more than enough not to need hand helds
« Last Edit: 24 October 2020, 18:23:11 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #83 on: 24 October 2020, 20:07:47 »
Well go for the RCT then! Where's your ambition!
Whimpering in the corner after being slapped silly by my sense of fiscal responsibility.

If you're putting the Longbow in you should have space for an Atlas

Also one shot hand held weapons could be fun given their origins

EDIT read first page not rest lol you've got more than enough not to need hand helds
They're in the wrong time frame for you, old friend

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 25 October 2020, 10:24:58 »
They're in the wrong time frame for you, old friend

For once im not thinking about borrowing lol I just thought the hand helds especially given their origin (muskets)
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #85 on: 25 October 2020, 10:39:45 »
For once im not thinking about borrowing lol I just thought the hand helds especially given their origin (muskets)
Well, I did my best with the original lance: the BattleMaster and the Wolverine both kind of have "hand held" main guns, as the PPC and Autocannon can be "dropped" if desired, the Thunderbolt has that massive laser on its right arm for sniping, and the LRM/SRM launchers on the Crusader make for a good volley-gun stand-in.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 25 October 2020, 11:04:24 »
Well, I did my best with the original lance: the BattleMaster and the Wolverine both kind of have "hand held" main guns, as the PPC and Autocannon can be "dropped" if desired, the Thunderbolt has that massive laser on its right arm for sniping, and the LRM/SRM launchers on the Crusader make for a good volley-gun stand-in.

Good point all of those old unseen mechs had pistol like weapons

Wouldn't be Sharpe without field artillery though
« Last Edit: 25 October 2020, 11:06:34 by Dragon Cat »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #87 on: 04 December 2020, 14:49:02 »
Because I'm apparently a huge masochist, I've taken it upon myself to completely redo everything from scratch.

So, I emptied all the Mechs I have out, sorted them by speed, and started redoing what I have so far.

Regimental Command Lance (3/5/0): Atlas, Marauder II, XBW-9J Crossbow, Longbow

1st Battalion
Battalion Command Lance (4/6/0): Cyclops, Zues, BattleMaster, Awesome

Battalion HQ Company
Battalion Command Lance (4/6/0): Zues, Marauder, Warhammer, Warhammer
Support Lance (6/8/0): Dragon, Trebuchet, Scorpion, Commando
Sweeper Lance (7/9/7): Vulcan, Wasp, Wasp, Stinger

1st Line Company
Command Lance (4/6/0): Marauder, Centurion, Crusader, Crusader
Fire Lance (4/6/0): Orion, Orion, Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt
Stalker Lance (7/9/0): Commando, Commando, Flea, Wolfhound

2nd Line Company
Command (5/7/5): Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Valkyrie
Striker (4/6/0): Archer, Crusader, Jagermech, Riflemen
Scout (7/9/7): Stinger

2nd Battalion
Battalion Command Lance (5/7/5): Phoenix Hawk, Phoenix Hawk, Clint, Ostscout

Battalion HQ Company
Command Lance (4/6/4): Grasshopper, Grasshopper, Catapult, Vindicator
Fire Lance (4/6/4): Enforcer, Enforcer, Blackjack, Blackjack
Scout Lance (9/11/9): Assassin, Javelin, Jenner, Jenner

1st Line Company
Hammer Lance (4/6/4): Enforcer, Enforcer, Blackjack, Blackjack
Battle Lance (6/8/6): Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Griffin, Wolverine
Scout Lance (10/12/10): Mercury, Spider, Cicada, Assassin

2nd Line Company
Stalker (5/7/5): Wolverine, Griffin, Dervish, Valkyrie
Fire Lance (4/6/4): Blackjack, Wyvern, Panther, Panther
Skirmisher Lance (7/9/7): Vulcan, Stinger, Wasp, Wasp

3rd Battalion
Battalion Command Lance (4/6/0): Cyclops, BattleMaster, BattleMaster

Battalion HQ Company:
Guard Lance (4/6/0): Marauder, Thunderbolt, Goliath, Hunchback
Flanker Lance (5/7/5): Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk, Trebuchet
Scout Lance (10/12/0): Locust,

1st Line Company:
Hammer Lance:
Anvil Lance (5/7/5): Wolverine
Fire Support Lance:

2nd Line Company:
Cavalry Lance:
Fire Lance:
Recon Lance: 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 23 December 2020, 12:17:52 by JA Baker »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 06 December 2020, 11:48:44 »
Nice collection several of similar design so you'll cut down on supply needs as well which helps

Personally speaking I'd rather split up the second battalion HQ scout lance and split the faster Mechs among the other scout lances just to give speed options

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #89 on: 06 December 2020, 19:13:01 »
Nice collection several of similar design so you'll cut down on supply needs as well which helps

People said I needed Blackjacks and Enforcers, I buy Blackjacks and Enforcers. Just wish they still made the OG ones, because it hasn't been cheap.

Also have another Marauder due from eBay. Probably make it a company commander in 3rd Battalion.

Personally speaking I'd rather split up the second battalion HQ scout lance and split the faster Mechs among the other scout lances just to give speed options
The Javelin doesn't slow them that much, but if I come across something faster, I may move things around again.