Author Topic: Finishing a Coyote star  (Read 1836 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Finishing a Coyote star
« on: 04 May 2018, 20:46:31 »
I'm thinking of getting some Coyote mechs painted up, but I was debating what units to use.  I've got a Savage Coyote and Rabid Coyote as the basis of the star, but what to use for the other three points?

I've got a Canis but I don't really want to use it since it's a pretty fugly mech and I don't like its performance that well.  What would be some other things to use?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
Re: Finishing a Coyote star
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2018, 21:48:53 »
What timeframe are we talking for these Coyotes, the Wars of Reaving? Are they the good Coyotes, or the less-than-good Coyotes who went all-in with the Society and thus would have access to Society equipment?
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2018, 22:27:16 »
Well, I don't have any Society mechs in my collection, so let's just go with some time in the mid to late 60s prior to the WoR breaking out.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2018, 22:54:48 »
i'm assuming you want to stick to frontline stuff? the coyotes have a fair number of mechs to their name.. but a lot of them are IIC's.

but one that you might want to consider, and this will seem odd.

the Hellion.

while the RAT's aren't a good thing to judge an entire touman on, in the old field manual series, the Coyote's were far more liekly to end up with Hellion's in their light mech forces than the Ice hellion's were. which i suspect came as a result of the hellions attempting to take said light's up against the coyote's heavies and assaults.. the coyote's would likely have a ton of salvage, most of then Hellions.

but it is actually a fairly good mech, and could give a star a nice backstabber (that also has some long range on most configs)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2018, 23:11:22 »
i'm assuming you want to stick to frontline stuff? the coyotes have a fair number of mechs to their name.. but a lot of them are IIC's.

Really?  My impression was that they had a disproportionately high number of omnis.

but one that you might want to consider, and this will seem odd.

the Hellion.

while the RAT's aren't a good thing to judge an entire touman on, in the old field manual series, the Coyote's were far more liekly to end up with Hellion's in their light mech forces than the Ice hellion's were. which i suspect came as a result of the hellions attempting to take said light's up against the coyote's heavies and assaults.. the coyote's would likely have a ton of salvage, most of then Hellions.

but it is actually a fairly good mech, and could give a star a nice backstabber (that also has some long range on most configs)

Yeah, I consider RATs to be a suggestion, not canon proclamation.  The Hellion is an interesting suggestion, anyone got any others?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2018, 08:57:24 »
If I'm not mistaken, they used a lot of designs associated with the Wolves as well, with WoR alluding to them potentially having some production facilities.  I think the Dire Wolf is explicitly mentioned, but I wouldn't be shocked to find things like the Gargoyle (which is everywhere), the Linebacker or the Timber Wolf in their line up.  No idea if any of those are what you had in mind, but those are some thought.

While the TROs have relatively few "Oh, the Coyotes invented this" omnis, they are mentioned as having pretty much more omnis than just about anyone.  So I suppose any of the classic 3050 omnis are not out of the question.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2018, 16:22:42 »
Really?  My impression was that they had a disproportionately high number of omnis.
they use a lot of Omni's.
but they only have a couple that they developed. the Savage coyote, the Coyotl, The Lupus, and the Septicemia/Pariah. the first is widespread in their Touman, the 2nd is the very first Omnimech and long out of use, the 3rd is an early onmi that is also long out of use, and the 4th is a Coyote/Society joint design.

on the other hand when we look at non-omni's they were responsible for the creation of the Guillotine IIC, the Highlander IIC, the Urbanmech IIC, The Canis and the Rabid coyote, all of which are active duty designs.

so while they use a lot of omni's, there are very few 'iconic' coyote Omni's to fill out a unit with. (they way you could stick Timberwolves, Linebackers, and Dire Wolves into a Clan Wolf star, for example, and have people immediately figure out "oh, that is a clan wolf unit")

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2018, 19:27:40 »
Have you though of using the Lobo?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2018, 19:50:51 »
Don't have one and it's rather hard to find.

Also, fugly.

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2018, 07:54:08 »
Timberwolf is a good choice.  Guillotine IICs are nice as well!

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2018, 09:47:09 »
Stormcrow E, Hellbringer C, Timberwolf E are pretty decent Coyote staples.
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2018, 11:25:22 »
Ooh, I have a Loki C mini even.  Think I'm going to go:

Savage Coyote
Loki C
Rabid Coyote
Linebacker
Masakari