Author Topic: Diamond Shark dealings with the Inner Sphere  (Read 2919 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Diamond Shark dealings with the Inner Sphere
« on: 06 May 2018, 06:19:30 »
Is there any indication when the Sharks started selling clan tech to spheroid customers?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
Re: Diamond Shark dealings with the Inner Sphere
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2018, 08:43:47 »
Is there any indication when the Sharks started selling clan tech to spheroid customers?

The Ha Otoko was the first mech built with that in mind.  An Inner Sphere version first showed up in 3061, with the original version coming out around 3060.

However, Chandrasekhar Kurita was dealing with Clan Merchants as early as 3056 (citing "Close Quarters" by Victor Milan).  While it doesn't explicitly say which Clan's Merchant Caste he is dealing with, "Masters and Minions" does mention he has a personal friendship with Merchant Factor Lorenzo of the Diamond Sharks.

So, in terms of major military tech, you're probably not seeing that until the 3060s.  At least not in large numbers that get noticed.  But it's not impossible that the odd bit of Clan tech winds up getting sold to Chandy under the table prior to that.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2018, 09:23:59 »
Well the accusations began way back during the invasion my friend. The Invading Clan Sourcebook (FASA1645) under Clan Diamond Shark (page 138) begins to tell the tell. From the very start sakhan Barbara Sennet used her position in Diamond Keshik (a Trinary attached as observers to the Invasion) to report on "conditions on as many Clan-conquered worlds as possible, where she hoped to find out what goods the occupying forces needed the most so that the Diamond Shark merchants could sell to the occupying troops and so enrich the Clan."

The very presence of Diamond Keshik, which included Khan Ian Hawker as well, began to get noticed early in the invasion when they were allowed to join Jade Falcon in the conquest of Last Chance. While they performed well and pleased Khan Elias Crichell as a political ally other Falcons were not as pleased. Enter Galaxy Commander Mar Helmer who hated the Sharks and their 'freebirth ways'. Their very presence was an insult to him and likely other Falcons cause lets face it these Crusader butt kissers are taking opputunities for glory too. These anti-Shark forces which included the ilKhan and the Smoke Jaguars began looking for a way to ban them from the invasion period.

It was near the end of of the first wave of the invasion when eight Diamond Shark merchant ships arrived to offer supplies for sale to their Jade Falcon 'allies'. While their first pitch to Galaxy Commander Mar Helmer didn't exact go over well (EXPLETIVE) but the Sharks just swam on. The made profit right into wave two when even the Smoke Jaguars had to buy supplies off them much to their disgust. With their merchants margins going up and up even the ilKhan was roped into the situation trying to rein in the Sharks. This politicking failed however until Brocchi's Cluster.

Six fully loaded mechant ships barrelled into the InnerSphere at the start of the Third Wave but their luck ran out in June 3050. One of their ships travelling near the Cluster disappeared and at about the same time there was a rise in bandit activity. If you beleive Mar Helmer accusations then this is the first time when the Sharks sold weapons to the InnerSphere. However nothing was ever proven even though the Sharks were forced to withdraw from the invasion until Wave Five.

To me the first product that screams we are selling to the InnerSphere is the Ha Otoko. First produced in 3060 this clearly Draconis 'Mech ended up in the Combine arsenal a year after (3061) with its Clan technology removed. Funny enough Jade Falcon accused the Sharks of planning to sell the Ha Otoko to Kurita right after they saw it and they were right.

So who knows perhaps 3050 or perhaps 3060, you make the call! ;)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2018, 10:12:17 »
Well the accusations began way back during the invasion my friend. The Invading Clan Sourcebook (FASA1645) under Clan Diamond Shark (page 138) begins to tell the tell. From the very start sakhan Barbara Sennet used her position in Diamond Keshik (a Trinary attached as observers to the Invasion) to report on "conditions on as many Clan-conquered worlds as possible, where she hoped to find out what goods the occupying forces needed the most so that the Diamond Shark merchants could sell to the occupying troops and so enrich the Clan."

The very presence of Diamond Keshik, which included Khan Ian Hawker as well, began to get noticed early in the invasion when they were allowed to join Jade Falcon in the conquest of Last Chance. While they performed well and pleased Khan Elias Crichell as a political ally other Falcons were not as pleased. Enter Galaxy Commander Mar Helmer who hated the Sharks and their 'freebirth ways'. Their very presence was an insult to him and likely other Falcons cause lets face it these Crusader butt kissers are taking opputunities for glory too. These anti-Shark forces which included the ilKhan and the Smoke Jaguars began looking for a way to ban them from the invasion period.

It was near the end of of the first wave of the invasion when eight Diamond Shark merchant ships arrived to offer supplies for sale to their Jade Falcon 'allies'. While their first pitch to Galaxy Commander Mar Helmer didn't exact go over well (EXPLETIVE) but the Sharks just swam on. The made profit right into wave two when even the Smoke Jaguars had to buy supplies off them much to their disgust. With their merchants margins going up and up even the ilKhan was roped into the situation trying to rein in the Sharks. This politicking failed however until Brocchi's Cluster.

Six fully loaded mechant ships barrelled into the InnerSphere at the start of the Third Wave but their luck ran out in June 3050. One of their ships travelling near the Cluster disappeared and at about the same time there was a rise in bandit activity. If you beleive Mar Helmer accusations then this is the first time when the Sharks sold weapons to the InnerSphere. However nothing was ever proven even though the Sharks were forced to withdraw from the invasion until Wave Five.

To me the first product that screams we are selling to the InnerSphere is the Ha Otoko. First produced in 3060 this clearly Draconis 'Mech ended up in the Combine arsenal a year after (3061) with its Clan technology removed. Funny enough Jade Falcon accused the Sharks of planning to sell the Ha Otoko to Kurita right after they saw it and they were right.

So who knows perhaps 3050 or perhaps 3060, you make the call! ;)

While Hawker was very much of the Crusader, "WE'RE GONNA CONQUER THE INNER SPHERE AS WARRIORS" mindset (to the point that he did not get on with Merchant Factor Lorenzo, or numerous other people within the Clan), I could totally buy the rest of his Clan surreptitiously selling stuff to Spheroids behind his back, under the table.  The Sharks are nothing if not pragmatic.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2018, 11:57:28 »
I have to re-read it. It does make sense.

So, what would a small independent periphery world have to offer the Sharks? Say, one rich in resources like metals and uranium and what not.

Asking for a friend... ::)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2018, 17:35:23 »
I have to re-read it. It does make sense.

So, what would a small independent periphery world have to offer the Sharks? Say, one rich in resources like metals and uranium and what not.

Asking for a friend... ::)

I feel like a small, independent world is more likely to get conquered.  But then again, they did hold off on conquering the Chainelaine Isles and a couple OTHER Deep Periphery things...

I wouldn't expect the Sharks to give a small, independent world in the 3050s large scale weapons or Clan tech.  Buuuuut, if a couple of shipments to their ostensible Clan allies were, shall we say, mislaid, and then some unattended caches of raw materials were then appropriated by the Sharks. that feels very in keeping with the Shark pragmatism.  After all, prolonged conflict is good for business.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2018, 01:57:39 »
Buuuuut, if a couple of shipments to their ostensible Clan allies were, shall we say, mislaid, and then some unattended caches of raw materials were then appropriated by the Sharks. that feels very in keeping with the Shark pragmatism.  After all, prolonged conflict is good for business.

I like the way you... uh the DIAMOND SHARKS think. After all, things fall off the back of a truck all the time, right? Sometimes inventory control makes a mistake and space is big and dangerous. But look at that, we found some Germanium... how about that?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2018, 14:56:20 »
For the record, the Clan has a strict return policy... in that if you try to return it, they'll either kill you or outmaneuver you. This is why they changed their name again post-Jihad, after all- "Oh, see, your paperwork says those defective Oro tanks can be returned to Clan Diamond Shark at any time, but... as you can clearly see by our logo and new stationary, we're not the Diamond Sharks. Sorry."
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2018, 15:00:34 »
For the record, the Clan has a strict return policy... in that if you try to return it, they'll either kill you or outmaneuver you. This is why they changed their name again post-Jihad, after all- "Oh, see, your paperwork says those defective Oro tanks can be returned to Clan Diamond Shark at any time, but... as you can clearly see by our logo and new stationary, we're not the Diamond Sharks. Sorry."

:toofunny: :clap:

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2018, 17:40:06 »

God, I love this Clan.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #10 on: 07 May 2018, 20:42:33 »
'Order now and we'll throw in HarJel for just 19.95!'  ;D

Back to subject, I doubt the first deal or dealings which happened were officially sanctioned by the Khans and likely involved non-military or at least non-Clan tech items.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2018, 01:04:12 »
I like the way you... uh the DIAMOND SHARKS think. After all, things fall off the back of a truck all the time, right? Sometimes inventory control makes a mistake and space is big and dangerous. But look at that, we found some Germanium... how about that?

Nonsense.  We Diamond Sharks stage trials for everything, regardless if the customer is Clan or Spheroid.  We cannot help it if Point Commander Carl keeps losing arm wrestling matches to some Kuritan freebirth.  ;D ;D ;D
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2018, 19:59:32 »
'Order now and we'll throw in HarJel for just 19.95!'  ;D

Back to subject, I doubt the first deal or dealings which happened were officially sanctioned by the Khans and likely involved non-military or at least non-Clan tech items.

I expect that the odd galaxy commander nearing retirement age might be willing to sell excess ammo that wasn't used up for a small profit, then report it as expended if anyone outside the Clan asked. Maybe minor stuff like medical equipment or data pads.

Maybe power generators like those used to recharge weapons and power packs? If you had a few caseloads, you could probably sell those to the locals along with a service contract for a larger plant.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2018, 01:37:24 »
Nonsense.  We Diamond Sharks stage trials for everything, regardless if the customer is Clan or Spheroid.  We cannot help it if Point Commander Carl keeps losing arm wrestling matches to some Kuritan freebirth.  ;D ;D ;D

Those Stravag Spheroids and thier checkers! We lost again! Well, a deal is a deal. I guess we will be leaving this dropship full of double heat sinks here then.