Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 7  (Read 184456 times)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 7
« Reply #30 on: 29 May 2020, 22:59:25 »
Following: I might have bought too many UrbanMechs

You can NEVER have too many UrbanMechs! ;)

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2020, 23:00:16 »
Good stuff indeed. Some solid pieces right out the gate. Interested to see whats next of course.

You can NEVER have too many UrbanMechs! ;)

Craig

Edit: I was typing my post when it said someone posted lol. No I know... but my bank account disagrees.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2020, 23:13:26 »
And I had only enough for the Comstar Monitor Station!

Ugh...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

RabidFox

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2020, 23:43:45 »
Despite my level of butt-hurtedness over not receiving the Shrapnel magazine link yet, I'm still super pumped about the kickstarter and I too look forward to an Urbie Plushie update!

Have you created an actual CrowdOx account?  I was in the same boat, I did not get the Shrapnel magazine link.  But I realized I never actually created a CrowdOc account.  I just completed my order via the PM survey link they sent out right after the Kickerstarter ended.  I created my account using the email associated with my KS pledge and viola, I got my Shrapnel email.  Maybe this will help you out, it worked for me.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #34 on: 30 May 2020, 09:15:30 »
Okay, the Elemental & Elemental suit on pg 43 is great . . . except its a Jag suit.  Like the new BoK cover art, isn't that a repeat of one of the original sourcebook images of trooper & suit?

Did this issue of Shrapnel make a dent in the stack of names used?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 30 May 2020, 10:10:42 »
No dice.
RIP my button, 2020 - 2020. She was a good button, and left us too soon.

Time to hit up your KS profile and get a message to the 'backers'/CGL.  It wasn't very straightforward to find, but it's there.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 30 May 2020, 10:40:55 »
Okay, the Elemental & Elemental suit on pg 43 is great . . . except its a Jag suit.  Like the new BoK cover art, isn't that a repeat of one of the original sourcebook images of trooper & suit?

there's this one from the Clan Wolf sourcebook

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #37 on: 30 May 2020, 10:46:36 »
Hmm, I remember that one, but . . . maybe it was FMCC or WC, I would swear it was a Ghost Bear . . . looked more serious, the Wolf one does not have the same pose set.

I am really liking the Ghost Bear story about Point Commander Lauren on a Rasie world in 3050.  A better look at the garrison during the Invasion with a call back to the Ronin War, the fact that it explains why she is not just a 'mechwarrior' in title but called a Point Commander.  She is in a command position of a 'nova point' and as the military governor on planet.  I LOVE that a salvaged design is converted to a IIC, or nearly- the techs dropped a ton of ammo for another ERML.  Which means Highlanders, Guillotines, and all the other IICs that retain the original design's wait could have been refit when they fell into the Clans' hands.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #38 on: 30 May 2020, 11:04:48 »
this guy?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #39 on: 30 May 2020, 11:25:09 »
Time to hit up your KS profile and get a message to the 'backers'/CGL.  It wasn't very straightforward to find, but it's there.

Yep, did that last night and someone sent me a new link in a matter of hours. Thanks, person who did that! :thumbsup:
All hail the new button, for she offers us the riches of downloads.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2020, 11:27:30 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #40 on: 30 May 2020, 11:32:14 »
Got the email this morning. Now to spend the next week reading great stories.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 30 May 2020, 12:17:37 »
Might be the one Sartis . . . the Elemental definitely looks less goofy in that one and larger as expected than the Wolf example.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #42 on: 30 May 2020, 12:20:01 »
Wolf SB Elemental: you
FMWC Elemental: the guy she told you not to worry about

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 30 May 2020, 15:40:34 »
Yep, did that last night and someone sent me a new link in a matter of hours. Thanks, person who did that! :thumbsup:
All hail the new button, for she offers us the riches of downloads.

*chants*

But-ton, But-ton, But-ton ...

I'm not sure that's coming out quite right ...

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #44 on: 30 May 2020, 16:09:36 »
Got the email this morning. Now to spend the next week reading great stories.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Just got mine too! I am going to enjoy my long weekend.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #45 on: 30 May 2020, 17:17:50 »
Still haven't gotten mine, but honestly not that concerned.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 30 May 2020, 17:26:00 »
Got mine awhile ago, but no hurry to grab it all since I've got no comfortable way to read it.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #47 on: 30 May 2020, 18:23:37 »
For me, the Sniper Rifle article alone was worth it.  I hope to see more support for AToW going forward!  :thumbsup:

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 30 May 2020, 18:55:07 »
Got mine today finally, looking forward to reading it!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 30 May 2020, 19:15:35 »
I am really liking the Ghost Bear story about Point Commander Lauren on a Rasie world in 3050.  A better look at the garrison during the Invasion with a call back to the Ronin War, the fact that it explains why she is not just a 'mechwarrior' in title but called a Point Commander.  She is in a command position of a 'nova point' and as the military governor on planet.  I LOVE that a salvaged design is converted to a IIC, or nearly- the techs dropped a ton of ammo for another ERML.  Which means Highlanders, Guillotines, and all the other IICs that retain the original design's wait could have been refit when they fell into the Clans' hands.

It'll be a very quiet evening shift at work today, I'm going to take this along and read it, looking forward to it!

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 30 May 2020, 20:18:10 »
Glad everyone seems to be liking Airs Above!

To answer one question, no, we were told not to use the KS names for any stories (I offered to change the names in my story to support the KS requirements)

I have -NO- idea on what the future plan is, but I gather TPTB want to take a deliberate, thoughtful approach instead of inserting the names out randomly.  For that, as a fan, I totally approve. :-)

For the record, this becomes a Wyvern-C, what I'm told is the designation for upgunned IS salvage.  Modding into a full-fledged IIC was in my initial draft, but it was noted that a IIC is (technically) a totally different chassis.  Upgunning to a -C, though, is well within the capabilities of some smart techs with a field mechbay and plenty of time.  As a side note, I try to make all my stories legal within the RPG and game rules, so swapping out weapons is also something a few decent techs could do in-game (and many of you probably HAVE  ;) so I was cool with altering the story.  I decided that the story techs wouldn't be able to swap from IS CASE to Clan CASE, so that's why this has less ammo but gains a laser (which is still a fair trade, IMHO  :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, I started sketching this story out YEARS ago in Afghanistan back in 2012.  Long enough that I was able to slip in a note into the FM:SLDF about Lipizzans.  ;)  This story also takes place in that very tiny period when the Vipers are helping the GBs before they pull forces forward and the Vipers get fully activated.  I liked the drama of having a Point Commander having to dance on rules as she has someone that outranks her answering to her.

I also wrote the theater-elective scene before last year's movie was ever put into production; that was a happy coincidence, because, outside of Shakespeare, there's only a few plays I think will be performed FOREVER- but that's one of them.  :D

Finally-
The tactic the badguys are using is a combination of actual Taliban and PLO techniques, but never actually combined like this story (to my knowledge).  Kevin Killiany and I discussed once how accurate a story should be- how violent, how destructive, how illegal.  It's hard for a writer to know where the line is- we owe you (the readers) authenticity, but we also would rather not end up on FBI watch lists, ya know? ;-P  I thought this technique met the criteria of authentic without being easily duplicatable.

As a writer, glad you guys like mine; as a fan, I'm digging all of the rest, too!!   :) :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #51 on: 30 May 2020, 21:05:35 »
As someone already on the FBI lists- went through a demo class, it was part of the initial brief- I understand that concern.  Somewhere I have a FOUO manual from '05? that covered some stuff- what they did in response to us, what we were doing in response to their tactics, etc.
Colt Ward

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 30 May 2020, 21:42:12 »
As someone already on the FBI lists- went through a demo class, it was part of the initial brief- I understand that concern.  Somewhere I have a FOUO manual from '05? that covered some stuff- what they did in response to us, what we were doing in response to their tactics, etc.

Well, I like to joke that I'm probably already on at least ONE for my story in the "Legacy" anthology- I figure you can only google questions like "how much does money weigh?" and "how much money is in the Philly mint?" so many times before a flag goes up...  ;) ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2020, 15:37:20 »
*chants*

But-ton, But-ton, But-ton ...

Are you saying Butt-on or Be-ou-ton?

I say both on occasion!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2020, 18:14:43 »
Are you saying Butt-on or Be-ou-ton?

I say both on occasion!

TT

Yes

sevengates

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2020, 19:18:47 »
Following: I might have bought too many UrbanMechs

There is no such thing as too many UrbanMechs
Don't let the vengence of heaven be you---Gary Numan

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2020, 19:43:23 »
That's worth repeating.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #57 on: 31 May 2020, 19:50:57 »
How else besides an over abundance you replace losses

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 01 June 2020, 09:21:28 »
Glad everyone seems to be liking Airs Above!

If there is something written about Ghost Bears, I'll happily read it!

I really enjoyed the story. It was really well written with meaningful characters and an interesting story arc that seemed to develop longer than it had time to, which is hard to achieve in a short story.

My only gripe is that the Mech fight at the end could have went on for a couple more pages, especially considering the amount of Mechs involved and the build-up in the story in regards to the Mechs, there were enough Mechs there to make that scene more exciting and longer lasting...still, a satisfying ending!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 01 June 2020, 09:29:08 »
Okay, the Elemental & Elemental suit on pg 43 is great . . . except its a Jag suit.

Ahahaha, I said the same thing just before the last lot of 50 pages of the Kickstarter thread closed down. It looks like it must've been the final design that was settled on between Mr Scroggins and TPTB, it seems to have a less pronounced chest plate, as in it doesn't stick out quite as much, and I really like it. I remember Anthony commenting on his Patreon how much back and forth there was behind the scenes about how the Elementals should look, which is not surprising since they are a very integral part of the Clan Invasion...something the like of which the IS had not seen previously.

I'd love to see a live action trilogy of movies covering the Clan Invasion with super high quality CGI for those parts of the movies that needed it...there's so much you could do with the Elementals when they look as awesome as these do...