Author Topic: combining skills  (Read 1711 times)

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
combining skills
« on: 14 October 2012, 13:12:00 »
Is there any sort of mechanic or method for combining skills?  Aka two charachters working together to repair a jeep?  Is it a simple modifier to the dice roll or something different?  I can't seem to find any mention of it in ATOW.
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: combining skills
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2012, 18:24:47 »
Y'know I don't think there is any mechanic for that in AToW or the Companion but maybe looking through StratOps for the repair rules could be useful.

Lissette Woo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2012, 08:42:52 »
Old MW3 RPG Rules had some at the Target Number Modifiers Table.
"Skilled Character helping (per Character) -1 each (max -3)"
So with AToW modifies the roll and not the TN, you can use an +1 roll mod for each "skilled" Character helping.

Kommandant Lissette "Warhammer" Woo - 180th Attack Wing "Blue Dragons" - LAAF
Captain Vanessa "Ratatöskr" Berg - Creedy Squirrel Salvage Company - Mercenary Command
Star Captain Scarlette - Vehicular Binary Alpha - 13th Wolf Regulars
Sergeant Major Jaqueline "Jacky" Novakowski - Callisto Squad - Blizzard One - Mercenary Command
Sergeant Kelly Bekker - Blackdale Lancers - Mercenary Command
Staff Sergeant Sandrine Harkon - 92nd Arcturan Force Recon Regiment - LAAF

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2012, 15:44:43 »
Old MW3 RPG Rules had some at the Target Number Modifiers Table.
"Skilled Character helping (per Character) -1 each (max -3)"
So with AToW modifies the roll and not the TN, you can use an +1 roll mod for each "skilled" Character helping.
That works.  Thanks!
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2012, 13:07:50 »
Y'know I don't think there is any mechanic for that in AToW or the Companion but maybe looking through StratOps for the repair rules could be useful.
Tech Team: 7 personnel, where 1 is tech and others are astechs. Target Number (TN) is based on skill of tech, smaller number is better skilled. If Tech Team is less than 7, modifiers apply to TN: +1 for every missing astech. So if wheeled light vehicle were to break down and there are four personnel where one is veteran tech, base TN is 6 (of the veteran tech). 2 other personnel could have some technical training so they can help out as astechs. There we have veteran Tech Team of 3 personnel. Veteran Tech Team short of 4 personnel would have TN of 10 (6 for skill +4 for missing personnel) to repair the vehicle, + any other modifiers in MASTER REPAIR TABLE and what GM might deem appropriate (+ for lack of tools & parts, - for Extra Time etc.)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.