Author Topic: What Were the Old Spaceship Manufacturers Named For?  (Read 9028 times)

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
Re: What Were the Old Spaceship Manufacturers Named For?
« Reply #30 on: 27 November 2018, 01:35:05 »
I'd guess any acronym that doesn't have obvious parts is just some family names.  If I were more familiar with Macross I might try to guess what those names might be.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 27 November 2018, 06:11:54 »
Blue Nose Clipperships was likely named after the Canadian fishing and racing schooner Bluenose who won the international fisherman’s  trophy 1921-1930s
According to the fluff going with the Liberty JumpShip, the Blue Nose Clipperships corporation came about when Blue Nose Interstellar Technologies merged with Deimos Clipperships.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 27 November 2018, 20:43:11 »
According to the fluff going with the Liberty JumpShip, the Blue Nose Clipperships corporation came about when Blue Nose Interstellar Technologies merged with Deimos Clipperships.

Blue Nose Interstellar was named after the schooner Blue Nose.  Deimos Clipperships was named after one of Mars's moons.  It probably had its yard there. 

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: 28 November 2018, 22:02:40 »
I don't remember the scuttlebut around the "Liberty" very well. A name like that could tie back to any number of sci-fi with a Martian revolt, although I have a feeling that "Deimos" was a reference to the Doom videogames.

Blue Nose Clipperships was likely named after the Canadian fishing and racing schooner Bluenose who won the international fisherman’s  trophy 1921-1930s

Good find!

I'd guess any acronym that doesn't have obvious parts is just some family names.  If I were more familiar with Macross I might try to guess what those names might be.

Or Dougram, Orguss, Crusher Joe, maybe a couple other anime. :-\

My not so serious answers...

Big Badass Products.

Prior to Handbook House Steiner, I'd just say The Aerospace Group. Or Those Awesome Guys.
Dynamico just sounds like one of those silly made up names we already get in real life: "Dynamico- the Best Dynamic Corporation in the Inner Sphere!"

::) ;D
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: 30 November 2018, 11:08:28 »
Given the connection between Ioto and Iwo Jima, it's a fair guess that Henderson yards were named for the Henderson (air)Field on Guadalcanal, and likewise, Port Sydney for Sydney Harbor.

Guess I ought to brush up on the Pacific Theater.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #35 on: 30 November 2018, 22:33:40 »
Given the connection between Ioto and Iwo Jima, it's a fair guess that Henderson yards were named for the Henderson (air)Field on Guadalcanal, and likewise, Port Sydney for Sydney Harbor.

Guess I ought to brush up on the Pacific Theater.

Interesting, maybe someone was reading some WW2 historicals when they were fluffing out Alarion.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo