Author Topic: CDA-2A Cicada / 9th Marik Militia  (Read 4489 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
CDA-2A Cicada / 9th Marik Militia
« on: 15 January 2014, 17:06:22 »
It's been a while since I've done one of these, but I wanted to do something different...

It always irritates me to hear/see people bash the plastic minis... Granted, they are not the greatest mini that was ever produced, but that doesn't mean with a little TLC they can't be a respectable miniature... But too many seem to want a mini that requires little/no skill to paint, and when they realize that they don't have the talent to paint them up well, it is somehow the mini's fault...

Presented below is an Introductory Boxed Set Cicada in 9th Marik Militia scheme... While I may be known more for my bashes and reposes, I intentionally left this one pretty much stock, so as to emphasize the paint and not the modifications. I did spend time cleaning it up, and realized that I am a little rusty on my lighter technique for removing those pesky plastic hairs... I also cleaned up a few of the panel lines and added a set of antenna and the "shocks" to the back of the legs.

The base is nothing more than the base that came attached, with a large washer glued to the bottom and the edges built out to standard size with green stuff. Then it got my typical "boiling over" ground effect treatment... The ground effects themselves are sort of ho-hum... Dating back to the early 90's when I first started to paint, I decided that I would not only paint the minis in matching schemes, but also create a ground scheme specific to each unit... Usually it has worked well, but the 9th needs a little inspiration which so far I haven't gotten yet... It will probably take a few more before I stumble onto the look I want... Of course then I'll probably be done, see as I only plan to do a company worth at this time (and all of them plastic)...

Lastly... While I have the new light box (as mentioned in the post with the 23rd Arcturan Centurion), I also have a new camera... Still trying to figure the focus out, so the pictures aren't all that I hoped for.

Anyway, you comments and suggestions welcome.

Caz
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 09:09:26 by Cazaril »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: CDA-2A Cicada / 9th Marik Militia
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2014, 17:27:24 »
 O0

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2014, 17:47:35 »
its a really sweet mech  O0
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2014, 17:48:56 »
I think the latest introductory Box minis are much better than the older unseen Plastics.  ;)

That said, your paintjob is amazing. I love the old Cicada sculpt and you make it Pop out.  O0

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2014, 17:55:23 »
A summary of perfection. 8)

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2014, 18:21:26 »
Very nice! Love the boldness of the colors.  O0

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2014, 19:17:36 »
For me it wasnt the lack of potential that stopped me from going all out, it was the time investment per cost of the minis.  But its definitly a treat to see someone go all out.  Got a really sharp mini there!
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2014, 19:39:54 »
Caz, I know you use primarily Reaper paints like me. What colors did you use here? Looks like the Nightshade, Imperial, Amethyst Purple triad. yes?

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2014, 19:47:37 »
Very nice

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Kiff_Stevenson

• Master Sergeant
  • Mini by Psycho @ camospecs.com - Thanks Joel!
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2014, 20:00:46 »
Your panel highlighting is absolutely gorgeous! This is a technique I am trying to learn at the moment, and work like this serves as excellent motivation! Bravo!

M4cr0Dutch

• Sergeant
  • Fate sits high in the bidder's chair.
    • Old School Gaming
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2014, 20:17:56 »
Beautiful work mate  O0 It is great to see the Intro box Mechs getting some love. I bought it hoping that maybe one of my kids may drag it out of the cupboard one day, brush the dust off and start playing (just like I did 20 years ago; cardboard Mechs back then!). I have been trying to give them great paint jobs too, but nothing like this  :-[ Well done  :))
"If you see a Falcon not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox, double your caution."

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2014, 20:32:19 »
those colors POP!
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Soutek

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2014, 20:38:17 »
He looks great.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2014, 21:25:49 »
Caz, I know you use primarily Reaper paints like me. What colors did you use here? Looks like the Nightshade, Imperial, Amethyst Purple triad. yes?

-Gunz

Quite correct... Panel lines are Nightshade... Then Imperial Purple to define the panels. Then Imperial Purple mixed with Amethyst Purple in the combinations; 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, then straight Amethyst Purple. The 1:4 is a departure from the normal technique, but I found on the Banshee that the jump in shade between 1:2 and straight Amethyst Purple is too great and it benefited from that extra layer.

Also, the Blue is the Sapphire Blue - True Blue - Sky Blue triad...  and the Red is a base of Deep Red, with Bright Red (or Fire Red as it is now called) and Phoenix Red as the colors I combined.

Caz

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2014, 22:00:22 »
Cool, very vivid scheme you have going there!  Looks like it stands out pretty well!

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2014, 22:02:22 »
Scotch Brite does wonders on the parting line flash of plastic.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2014, 22:54:01 »
Very nice! O0

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2014, 23:37:52 »
well done  O0 O0
Life: Some assembly required!

HeavyGun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Dante's Infernals
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2014, 00:35:24 »
Nice Job,  O0. Plastic box set minis are 80% of my mech force "My Dante's Infernals" are box set plastic and their Battalion strength.
CDT Agent #695, Spokane Valley, Wa.

Get in, Sit down, Shut up and Hold on...oh yeah you better pray cuz your gonna need it!

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2014, 03:37:33 »
Bravo. As someone struggling with FWL forces myself, very nice Militia.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2014, 09:50:09 »
For me it wasnt the lack of potential that stopped me from going all out, it was the time investment per cost of the minis.

That's not a problem for me... Any additional time I spend during the clean up phase, is made up for by the fact that I don't modify the plastics much more than adding some greble. So I probably spend less time overall there... And painting... Well, it's the same style either way. Maybe I have to decide where the panel lines are, more so than on the metal versions, but that is minor...

Ultimately, I think it takes the same amount of time for me either way... With end results that are only a marginal downgrade from a metal one.

Caz

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2014, 14:38:33 »
Scotch Brite does wonders on the parting line flash of plastic.

Brilliant!

Quite correct... Panel lines are Nightshade... Then Imperial Purple to define the panels. Then Imperial Purple mixed with Amethyst Purple in the combinations; 2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, then straight Amethyst Purple. The 1:4 is a departure from the normal technique, but I found on the Banshee that the jump in shade between 1:2 and straight Amethyst Purple is too great and it benefited from that extra layer.

Also, the Blue is the Sapphire Blue - True Blue - Sky Blue triad...  and the Red is a base of Deep Red, with Bright Red (or Fire Red as it is now called) and Phoenix Red as the colors I combined.

Caz

Agreed I always go for an 'in-between' color with the triad sets by mixing the 2 corresponding numbers.

-Gunz

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2014, 15:00:04 »
Agreed I always go for an 'in-between' color with the triad sets by mixing the 2 corresponding numbers.

Just so we're clear... The "2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 1:4" are ratios. So from pure Imperial Purple to pure Amethyst Purple, there are 6 layers of paint. Normally there are only 5, but when I did the Banshee, I noticed that the jump from the ratio 1:2, to pure Amethyst Purple, was too great so I added the 1:4 ratio...

If you understood this already, feel free to ignore me...  :)

Caz

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2014, 16:01:30 »
Yes. Consider yourself ignored.  ;D

-Gunz