Author Topic: Retrospective: my N-scale kitbashes  (Read 4363 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Retrospective: my N-scale kitbashes
« on: 09 May 2014, 17:22:26 »
It's one of my "things" - making N-scale versions of BattleTech classic designs that the MW:DA game never got around to making, or not making "right". I then give them to people, so unfortunately there'll never be a group shot.

The first I ever did was a proper MW:DA Dire Wolf back in 2009 ...

Legionnaire torso and arms, Salvagemech legs ... successful enough to revisit in both the C and S configurations in following years.

A DA Beemer followed, the Reseen version not having been released at that point IIRC, based off the Phoenix Hawk IIC

A Toyama was a more mature effort than the beemer ...

Followed by a Cataphract,

accurised Griffin,

and Timber Wolf C.

I also did a Turkina, but appear to have only saved a WIP picture. Perhaps the owner could post one?

2010 saw the addition of the Black Knight,

Dragon.

Fafnir,

Muse Fire Legionnaire,

Thunderbolt.

and Zeus.

I did manage to get the closest thing to a group shot here, "superfriends of 2010":

2011 ended up being a dry year, but for 2012 I managed an accurised Hatchetman.

2013 ended up being somewhat more productive in this vein before I went of off on my combined-arms battalion jag, with a Daikyu,

Osprey,

and MW4-style Vulture making their way out.

My heart's in the hex game, and I really only buy DA minis to adopt/adapt them into 1:285 scale. But it's been a lot of fun making these up and sending them to good homes. There's some more I'd love to do if I can ever figure out how - a DA-scale Orion would totally rock, for example, but I'm dry on ideas for that one at the moment.

Comments cheerfully welcomed,

W.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Retrospective: my N-scale kitbashes
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2014, 19:41:09 »
 O0

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2014, 22:29:31 »
cool O0 O0
Life: Some assembly required!

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2014, 12:06:42 »
Swell!
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2014, 12:43:38 »
Sweet! O0

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2014, 13:20:34 »
All very nice and a great source of inspiriation!

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

eilif

• Master Sergeant
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2014, 16:35:40 »
Excellent to see all your work collected in one place. I've been inspired by your stuff many times over the past few years, but I never seem to get around to trying any MWDA conversions of my own.
Founding Member, Chicago Skimish Wargames:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2014, 16:43:24 »
Love your kit-bashing skills. worktroll.  Having Daishi look like what suppose look like sits better with me.  I wish Wizkids had gone that route.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 18:35:26 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2014, 18:01:03 »
Having seen what they did to the Black Knight & Warhawk, in some ways I'm just as happy they didn't.

Still, they did do many excellent sculpts.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2014, 19:27:17 »
Whoa, those are sweet!!!

To the patient go the spoils

HavocTheWarDog

• Captain
  • Lead or Follow, but get outa my way!
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2014, 10:13:56 »
I'm diggin' your work! O0 O0
"Veni Vidi Vici"

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2014, 23:21:23 »
Your conversions are excellent WT! I see the Black Knight on a daily basis. Happens to be one of TWO N scale minis I currently own the other I the MWDA SPider I won my first game with.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2014, 23:40:23 »
They all find good homes O0

Found this, which at least includes the Turkina painted.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2014, 14:27:43 »
Rule 12! Rule 12!   :D
 :))    8)
Seriously That's how Orko_one got started.
I like that Turkina and Toyama.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2014, 14:36:21 »
Believe me, I did sit down and think about it at one point. "Distribution" was a worry. But it's like Mr. Balk's work - if the bitz you buy are legit bits, then it's cool. Kitbashing is magic! ;)

Register