Author Topic: Do Mechs have toilets and other urgent questions  (Read 2034 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
Do Mechs have toilets and other urgent questions
« on: 19 May 2018, 06:14:21 »
I could have sworn this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find a similar thread upon searching (perhaps it was posted back before the last forum crash).

Do Mechs have toilets? I mean they're supposed to spend hours in the field. Nature is going to call at some point. Of course, this brings to mind the wonderful image of a brave Mechwarrior sitting on the john, pinching a mighty loaf worthy of legend and song and then suddenly cockpit sensors flash indicating incoming LRM fire...

I would suspect that newer Clan mechs are not built with toilets, because the nature of Clan trials are very short. Well, unless Trueborn bladders are correspondingly tiny, anyway. That of course that begs the question, can you add pod-mounted toilets on an Omnimech?

Small cockpits definitely don't have toilets (that's what the extra ton is spent on, right?). So logically, we can deduce that Manei Dominei are either cybernetically augmented so they don't have to poop *or* they must by necessity soil their trousers. This *clearly* must be the explanation why Precentor Pantsless wears no pants. QED

What about Protomechs? Getting out of a Protomech is a hassle when you're integrated into EI godmode. So they either have a hatch on the back side to discharge certain waste or they too must obviously soil themselves as well.

Or how about LAMs? Do they have toilets? Does the toilet also transform and stay upright in airmech mode? Inquiring minds want to know!

« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 09:50:12 by Crow »
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Do Mechs have toilets and other urgent questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2018, 07:48:39 »
Do Mechs have toilets? I mean they're supposed to spend hours in the field. Nature is going to call at some point. Of course, this brings to mind the wonderful image of a brave Mechwarrior sitting on the john, pinching a mighty loaf worthy of legend and song and then suddenly cockpit sensors flash indicating incoming LRM fire...

Some 'Mechs do. See Tech Manual p. 39-42 for cockpit descriptions; toilets are mentioned on p. 41. Basically, larger cockpits of medium, heavy, and assault 'Mechs are more likely to have such second seats and amenities, while Clan cockpits lack them and are much smaller.

I would suspect that newer Clan mechs are not built with toilets, because the nature of Clan trials are very short.

That's exactly the case.

Well, unless Trueborn bladders are correspondingly tiny, anyway.

Due to the short nature of Clan trials, Clan scientists allowed warrior bladders and bowels to atrophy. They would always be near honorable, Clan-style waste facilities.

(Joking, but I pity the toilet that sees an Elemental line up for a bombing run.)

That of course that begs the question, can you add pod-mounted toilets on an Omnimech?

There are all sorts of unusual systems you can mount on 'Mechs, like the Cyclops' portable command center backpack. Presumably, one could mount an elaborate, deployable field cabin to allow the hardy Clan warriors to glamp in style.

Small cockpits definitely don't have toilets (that's what the extra ton is spent on, right?).

I'd agree.

So logically, we can deduce that Manei Dominei are either cybernetically augmented so they don't have to poop *or* they must by necessity soil their trousers.

I'd assume a fighter pilot-like regime applies: wear a urine capture device or have a pee bottle handy, and hold the rest until the next truck stop.

This *clearly* must be the explanation why Precentor Pantsless wears no pants. QED

...that does clarify his refusal to adhere to military uniform norms.

What about Protomechs? Getting out of a Protomech is a hassle when you're integrated into EI godmode. So they either have a hatch on the back side to discharge certain waste or they too must obviously soil themselves as well.

See: fighter pilot. Also, it's pretty easy to hop out of a ProtoMech, unlike a 40-foot tall BattleMech.

Or how about LAMs? Do they have toilets? Does the toilet also transform and stay upright in airmech mode? Inquiring minds want to know!

Aerospace fighters and BattleMechs both may have facilities, depending on the size and tonnage of the unit. Given the potentially very long, covert ops nature of LAMs' missions, I'd assume they're like to have facilities. See TechManual p. 41 for a description of their ability to fold away.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2018, 08:07:50 »
this is the content i come here to see

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2018, 09:22:33 »
Who would want to go in a cockpit that heats up like a sauna? Or worse rumble seat.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2018, 09:33:06 »
a man in a 12 meter tall avatar of death in sniper country

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2018, 09:35:28 »
Who would want to go in a cockpit that heats up like a sauna?

I wouldn't use the toilet while the 'Mech's heat scale is around 30. There's probably a lot of targets that need shooting outside the 'Mech at that moment.

When the shooting's over, you're in an environment with nuclear-biological-chemical air filters on a powerful air conditioner. Better to have a toilet in there than need to pop the hatch, climb down 40 feet, and find a shrubbery in need of fertilization - what if you're operating on an uninhabitable planet? Ye Olde astronaut trick of plastic butt baggies is going to get really annoying really fast. (No, seriously, click the link, scroll past the space shuttle toilet problems, and look at the astronaut butt bags and what highly trained astronauts thought of them. ;) )
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 09:37:28 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2018, 10:11:45 »
 I would imagine it would be the same for a MechWarrior as it is for Modern day armor crewmen during combat operations, road marches lasting hours etc.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2018, 11:48:31 »
Well I recall the Raven has a chemical toilet from the 3039 text. Not the best one, mind you...
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2018, 11:58:55 »
a man in a 12 meter tall avatar of death in sniper country

Yeah, getting out of the mech in sniper country sounds like a decidedly unwise idea.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2018, 12:00:52 »
Question asked and answered so thread is flushed.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Register