Author Topic: Miniature of the Fortnight #2 - The Summoner/Thor & family!  (Read 14128 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Miniature of the Fortnight #2 - The Summoner/Thor & family!
« on: 26 September 2016, 04:34:43 »
For the second time, it's time to go through your existing mini collections, and share the joy!

Mini of the Fortnight doesn't need new work - although new work is always welcome. Show us your Summoners, thow us your Thors!

Absent our resident archeoboschologist, I'm aware of the following Summoner/Thor minis:

- the original Ral Partha/IWM design, in lead and ralladium
- the IWM resculpt
- the plastic premium from the Hammerhands intro box
- the Grand Summoner (aka Thor II) from IWM
- the MW:DA Thor II

(But I'm expecting correction! O0 )

And here's mine. Not as many as I had Hunchbacks:

From left to right:

- An old, ralladium Summoner modded to C config. A very old mini, prior to me basing routinely, let alone washes or drybrushes. My favourite Summoner config, and favourite Ice Hellion assault!

- Summoner Prime in my "dirty Delta" Jade Falcon colours, from the premium plastics.

- It's friend, a D config, also premium plastic, also JF Delta Galaxy

- And another premium prime, in Star Adder Alpha Galaxy colours - good opfor ;)

And ...

A MW:DA Thor II, "accurised" back to Summoner Prime config. I did the mods - lowered the head turret, reposed the legs, trimmed down the autocannon, and used a missile launcher from an old kit Thunderbolt model (seemed fitting. Painted & based superbly by fellow Melburnian mini enthusiast SchwerpunktStudios, who works exclusively in N-scale. Looking gorgeous in Jade Falcon Epsilon colours.

So ... show me the minis!

W.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2016, 03:54:17 by worktroll »
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ijewett

• Sergeant
Re: Miniature of the Fortnight #2 - The Summoner/Thor & family!
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2016, 05:15:07 »
Cannot see your pictures worktroll! I checked some other threads and see pictures just fine on them.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2016, 12:57:05 »
Likewise, and I'm on a Mac.

Anyway, I'll be doing multiple posts over the next week or two.

I'll start off with something of a different scale. Y'all've probably seen these before. These are original paint schemes. When I have a chance, I went and repainted them in something mimicking what you'd find for MechCommander, which I need to get pics of.

And, to preview, I have a standard vintage Ral Partha Thor, as well as one of the newer "BattleForce Scale" Thors in various states of completion.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2016, 13:06:27 »
One unpainted plastech Thor, 2 of the Prime versions and various alt configs built off the original release.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2016, 03:57:00 »
Okay, please let me know if my images linked.

And Daemion, love the attention to detail in those map-scale Summoners! Based on IS Standards, right?

(They're made from BA parts ... O0 )
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2016, 06:29:40 »
From left to right:
Prime (Clan Wolf Beta): stock from IWM

A (Ice Hellion Beta): parts needed are OP-002 (Thor A left arm), OP-003 (Thor A right arm), and OP-004 (SRM 6 from the Man O War)

B (Jade Falcon Sigma): stock from IWM

C (Cloud Cobra Pharoah Keshik): parts needed are OP-004 (SRM 6 from the Man O War), OP-007 (Thor C left arm from Ryoken B), OP-008 (Thor C right arm)

Z (Coyote Epsilon): parts needed are OP-008 (Thor C right arm with extra laser removed), OP-013 (Thor E ATM pod), and OP-005 (Thor B left arm with the missiles filed off and APGR added with tubing.)

This mini has a lot going for it. You can create most configs with minimal effort.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2016, 13:27:34 »
I'm afraid I have no pictures to share this time, as I only have one Summoner/Thor and it's unpainted. That said, Worktroll's list of sculpts is essentially complete, but there are some neat quirks in its history.

The first sculpt of the Thor was from the original Ral Partha Clan Heavy OmniMechs boxed set, and released a bit later in its own blister, just as with the rest of the "original 16." Oddly, later packaging labelled it as the "D" configuration, even though this is inaccurate and the mini is physically most similar to the Prime. This sculpt was produced in lead, pewter, and that awful old blue resin, though the latter seems to have only been made for a single year before RP switched to making them totally from pewter (Ralladium). As with all of the old Clan Omnis, this is still available from IWM as a special order. There is a Tyco toy roughly based on the actual D variant.

The second sculpt was part of IWM's drive to redo all the old Clan Omnis in higher detail and slightly larger scale. The visual loadout is spot-on to the 3050 Upgrade image. The plastic multi-part kit is based off of this sculpt, and was available in both the 25th Anniversary Introductory Boxed Set (where it was preassembled) and through the BattleShop on its own (or with its sister kit, the Loki). IWM has also released a variant of this sculpt as the "B" configuration.

The Thor II (or Grand Summoner) is a fairly recent release from IWM, and variant sculpts exist of its Prime, A, and B configurations.

IWM has also released a "map scale" version of their resculpted Prime variant.

As usual, here's the product codes:
Code: [Select]
Thor/Summoner "D" (first sculpt)          10 842 (Heavy OmniMechs Boxed Set), 10 842P (Heavy Omnis in resin/pewter), 20 602
Thor/Summoner Prime (second sculpt)       20 337
Thor/Summoner B (based on second sculpt)  BT 011
Thor/Summoner Prime (plastic)             3500A (25th Anniversary Boxed Set)
Thor/Summoner Prime (BattleForce)         10 053 (Clan Star Pack 1), 20 9123
Thor II Prime                             BT 305
Thor II A                                 BT 317
Thor II B                                 BT 306
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2016, 14:52:16 »

A MW:DA Thor II, "accurised" back to Summoner Prime config. I did the mods - lowered the head turret, reposed the legs, trimmed down the autocannon, and used a missile launcher from an old kit Thunderbolt model (seemed fitting. Painted & based superbly by fellow Melburnian mini enthusiast SchwerpunktStudios, who works exclusively in N-scale. Looking gorgeous in Jade Falcon Epsilon colours.

Still as fantastic as the first time I laid eyes on her!! You guys do 'mazing work together... 8) 

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2016, 23:41:28 »
Always nice to see Summoners.

My own is Alt. Config. M, painted in Kindraa Matilla-Carrol colors. (Mostly painted, I think it could still use some work.)

Guess my collection is kinda small, I only have the one. Suppose I really ought to Falcon harder.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2016, 10:00:30 »
Okay, please let me know if my images linked.

And Daemion, love the attention to detail in those map-scale Summoners! Based on IS Standards, right?

(They're made from BA parts ... O0 )

Mostly. I may have pulled some parts from DA Mechs, but for this sculpt, it was mostly BA, and dominantly IS Standard Battle Armor. The head pieces were pulled from the Gray Death Scout suits. Portions of the arms were pulled from the Achilleus suits, the Cavalier suits (ammo belt for the curved arm) and any machine gun array from a vehicle for the gun on the right arm. Any thing round for the missile launcher. And, I think the lower legs came from Kanazuchi BA. But, I'm not exactly certain. It's been a while since I put these together.

Edit: Just looking them over one more time, I actually think the feet came from the Fenrir Quad BA, from the hind legs. The calves are from the IS standard. And the left upper arm came from the shoulder of the Infiltrator Mk 1.
« Last Edit: 28 September 2016, 10:03:40 by Daemion »

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

KhanPhelanWard

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2016, 09:55:27 »
This is the only Summoner I have, it was my second overall miniature and I didn´t know any paint tecnic, neither drybrush.

It´s an Epsilon Galaxy, Jade Falcon Clan.

Don't miss out on my Camospecs miniatures on ebay:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2016, 15:44:05 »
You may need to set sharing permission for your photobucket image, Khan P - not showing, even if I copy the URL to a new tab.

(As you can see, I have exactly that problem in Google Photos occasionally ...)

W.

Fowl Weather Friend

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2016, 16:39:29 »
The Summoner's not as fancy or fighty as some of the other Heavy Omni's, but there are few that are as sturdy or reliable.   

Here's my Grand Summoner for Jade Falcon's Delta Galaxy. 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2016, 17:33:08 »
Khan P, seeing it now! Falcon harder, gents! O0

KhanPhelanWard

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2016, 19:50:32 »
Khan P, seeing it now! Falcon harder, gents! O0

Well, I don't know what happened, cause I didn't touch aany setting cause it was public yet.
Don't miss out on my Camospecs miniatures on ebay:

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: 29 September 2016, 20:07:52 »
The Summoner's not as fancy or fighty as some of the other Heavy Omni's, but there are few that are as sturdy or reliable.   

Here's my Grand Summoner for Jade Falcon's Delta Galaxy. 

Man, I love seeing my baby around the web! Awesome work!

Now here is a Thor II A, and I think this is the first painted example on the web.  Photo quality is bad, and I need to clean up the mini still, quite a bit, but here it is!

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2016, 19:54:53 »
Great work worktroll.

Are we only going to see you doing the Prime and Prime-ish variants on this thread.

I love the Summoner. 

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2016, 10:59:07 »
Feel free to post pics of your own.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2016, 09:52:01 »
Should have pics this weekend- I wanted to post the whole collection, but my 'B' is still getting detail/basing done. Once it's ready they'll go on display in their full 'glory'.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2016, 16:45:50 »
Better hurry, the next fortnight begins Monday!

(No real pressure, all welcome at any time)

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2016, 20:45:40 »
Heres my Summoner-AA, a Dark Age configuration utilizing an ER-PPC, gauss rifle, and SRM-6. Still need to paint it. I have it slatted for a Ghost Bear scheme, like an alteration of the Alpha Galaxy scheme.

I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

Fowl Weather Friend

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2016, 09:04:24 »
Great kitbash!   O0

I recognize the guns are from the Vulture/Madcat MK IV, what are the shoulders and arms from?

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #22 on: 07 October 2016, 10:03:57 »
Great kitbash!   O0

I recognize the guns are from the Vulture/Madcat MK IV, what are the shoulders and arms from?

Thank you! The shoulders are from a Deva celestial omni. They really work on the Summoner chassis. I have half a mind to use the same shoulders for a Mad Cat II-4 variant
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 09 October 2016, 19:35:39 »
A couple of late entries:

One of my early Summoners in battle, and the plastic boxed set miniature in Jade Falcon Delta Galaxy colours.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 09 October 2016, 21:32:41 »
SC_Dave, you are forgiven for your Wolf Thor on the basis of posting your Jade Falcon Summoner! O0

Folks, you can still keep those Summoners coming; just a note that the Zeus thread is now open also - here.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2016, 09:57:54 »
Man, you make me want to repaint my old Summoner...
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2016, 16:57:28 »
SC_Dave, you are forgiven for your Wolf Thor on the basis of posting your Jade Falcon Summoner! O0

Consider it Gamma Galaxy painted for a desert environment. There's actually a Jade Falcon decal on the knee that you can't see (see blurry thing on side of the Timberwolf). I've got a bottle of jade green (for highlights) on hand to go back and give it a makeover some time  :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2016, 19:30:02 »
Then you are forgiven for my misapprehension :worktroll:

Still waiting for JHB's Summoner clan, and any others. The rest of you, Zeus harder! :)

W.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 22 October 2016, 19:46:34 »
Pardon my tardiness, but here is my updated collection of Thors.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 22 October 2016, 20:36:23 »
Forgot I had a Thor painted up.

Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Register