Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Hauberk Battle Armor  (Read 16439 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Hauberk Battle Armor
« Reply #30 on: 07 September 2012, 10:52:41 »
Great article!!

And as the article says mixing a force of Hauberks, Grenaders and Infiltrator IIs together is just nasty.  I cost a player an entire lance of Mechs with just such a combo.  2 squads of each suit.  The Hauberks constantly showering LRMs on the Mechs, the Infiltrators sniping with their magshots and a surprise when they close as the Grenadiers empty there SRMs into the mix.

Pure nasty death to BattleMechs in the right situation.  At the same time the Hauberk especially suffers when its isolated from transport.  It has the armour to take a hit but if it has no support near by or its APC is taken out the unit is hard to use as units just surround it and close.  Then again if an enemy has the units to surround you the battle isn't likely going so well anyway.

I found that having the APC come in drop off the Hauberk then find the farthest point from everything to park the APC - no-one goes looking for an APC when they are being showered by LRMs.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 07 September 2012, 18:24:05 »
Mixing Hauberks, Grenadiers and Kopis suits in a force is the kind of assault company I can see the RAF using. Any BattleMech that wants to enter an RAF defended urban zone really needs to have it's head examined.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 07 September 2012, 20:06:38 »
Truthfully, the proliferation of suits like the Hauberk and Grenadier make me wonder how successful any mech assault into an urban area's going to be going forward. Mechs are expensive, both in terms of BV and in terms of Cbills. I just don't see folks being able to put enough mechs in a city to counter the numbers of BA, scary PBI infantry outfits like the Stalwart Support LRM Infantry, and the speedier PA(L)s available as spotters. Perhaps if they go in with the plan of demolishing the city as they approach...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 07 September 2012, 21:14:03 »
Or fight fire with fire.  City full of BA?  Send in the infantry.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 07 September 2012, 21:15:21 »
I doubt that every city, even in the FedSuns, has a battalion or a company or even a squad of battle armor to defend itself.  Now, the ones that do are going to be a bitch to take, but I doubt that's even a majority of them.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 07 September 2012, 22:38:27 »
They don't have to be in every city, though. It's cheaper to move a Battalion of BA via VTOL than it is a Company of mechs via dropship.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 07 September 2012, 23:07:40 »
"Ask yourself this, general. I've got six battalions of BA and seven cities. You have to ask, 'did he use all his battalions or is one hiding in this city. Do I feel lucky?"

"Well, general, do you feel lucky?"
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #37 on: 07 September 2012, 23:34:30 »
"Ask yourself this, general. I've got six battalions of BA and seven cities. You have to ask, 'did he use all his battalions or is one hiding in this city. Do I feel lucky?"

Awesome Dirty Harry :)
« Last Edit: 07 September 2012, 23:36:33 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 08 September 2012, 20:11:13 »

Pray you don't get the Corporal that just inherited command, otherwise:
"I say we dust off and nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #39 on: 08 September 2012, 20:27:58 »
Truthfully, the proliferation of suits like the Hauberk and Grenadier make me wonder how successful any mech assault into an urban area's going to be going forward.
Isnt this what BAPs are for? Heck, this is what supporting infantry are for.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 08 September 2012, 20:38:14 »
Yep, you use PBI to locate them and if your not afraid of collateral damage.. you use arti and lrm to support the infantry once they are spotted in concetrated area.... phone in an arty shot they are hiding in the third building to the right.  Fire for effect.. so long BA.  of course if you need those buildings and the civies around them alive.. err you still have a hell of a time smoking them out into the open for your armor and mech to work them over.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 09 September 2012, 05:26:31 »

Yes. Precisely my point. The days of mechs slugging it out in urban centers should be waning...

Register