Author Topic: Building a gun out of odds & ends  (Read 1698 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Building a gun out of odds & ends
« on: 23 June 2016, 17:19:16 »
So here is something I set up-

Working on making a towed artillery or field gun piece- so its a WIP.

You can see a Po Heavy Tank in the picture for the scale.

What did I use?  Pretty simple . . . one toothpick, cut off the points (which might become shells) though I used one end with a bit of thinning to fit the muzzle break detail.  The muzzle break is a hollow Q-Tip tube, wife complained about the type, dog found it and chewed up the ends . . . so I found it on the floor and clipped off the chewed on parts while I was cleaning up.  The mounting frame is a matchstick like bit of hobby wood you can get at WalMart, only used part of one so far for the mount & the block after the barrel portion.  The frag/blast shield was a bit clipped from gift card that I was using to make some hexes- decent plastic was all that was required and the Xacto knife to trim out the breech/block square portion.  I will angle more of that single bit of squared off balsa to finish making the frame.  Right now I am looking for some material, either some throw away item or perhaps some hobby bit to make the wheels which will not be functional.

I finally found things for the wheels, they are beads from a craft store.  I had to check a few to find ones that were in the proper scale.

This will eventually be set on a base with proper flocking and a paint job of olive green.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Building a gun out of odds & ends
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2016, 17:59:33 »
Looking great!  O0 I did something similar, but since Sol7 went down I can't find the pics.

I did mine as artillery - basically no shield, I used a split trail, and had the barrel pointing much higher. I also whacked on a couple of "horns" for suspension.

With yours, just cut the shield a little wider, then score the sides and bend back. Trim the bottom corner off the wings. Voila! More detailed crew shield!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2016, 20:36:13 »
I intended to make something like the old French 75mm which is why it has the sheild it does.  While current 105mm and 155mm in US inventory do not have shields, the previous generation did and other designs around the world still do- it gives the gunner some protection from the muzzle blast.

I thought about doing the split rail like the 155s but wanted to keep the pieces and points of structural failure down.  I will still put a thinner little bit extending back for the hitch.

I will have to take a picture with it next to a MWDA AT Gun.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2016, 20:45:04 »
Looking at it, I'd be calling it an AC-5 field gun. The Old 75 is more of a LAC - maybe a LAC-2 ;) Consider a shorter barrel for infantry support guns ;)

I end up using the MW:DA standard fun for AC-5 & similar, the Gun Nest (once the side shields are cut off to make it look more mobile) as AC-10s and similar, and a reworked, "snub" gauss cannon as my AC-20s.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Register