Author Topic: Dollar store trees  (Read 2622 times)

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
Dollar store trees
« on: 25 June 2016, 15:14:13 »
At long last, I finally have something to contribute to this board, instead of just admiring and stealing drawing inspiration from the work of others.  I found these fake greenery balls at a dollar store a few Christmases back, and finally made something out of them.  There were two different styles, and they looked a little something like this:

Honestly, who would decorate with this?

And now they look a little something like this:

Heavy woods:  Penny and pipe cleaner for the base, and on the taller ones the pipe cleaner extends through the middle of the tree acting as the trunk.  A little hot glue, and Bob’s your uncle. 

We’re hiding in the bushes!  Waiting to give you your free one million punches in the face...

Light woods:  Glue one tree piece on a penny.  Done.  (Although I’m considering painting the pennies first, just to make them look a little better.)

Not-so-hidden Dragon.

I think they turned out pretty well.  They’re obviously plastic, and the scale of the leaves might seem too large, but you just have to assume that there are bound to be some strange and wonderful plants out there in the universe.  For example, I personally like to think of these Heavy Woods as some sort of giant, waxy fern.  Also, at a few cents a tree, the price is right.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
Re: Dollar store trees
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2016, 16:46:11 »
Cool! O0

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2016, 23:11:26 »
very nice  8)

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2016, 09:04:26 »
I would use those to represent swamp or marsh land terrain. Great Job  O0
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2016, 12:15:11 »
Hmmm....something to find.... }:)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2016, 10:20:14 »
Interesting, it looks sort of like the plastic plants they use for aquariums.

I will have to look for those . . . did you ever thinking about using glue to put some of the green flocking on the leaves/stems for a bit more texture/color?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2016, 20:59:28 »
Interesting, it looks sort of like the plastic plants they use for aquariums.

I will have to look for those . . . did you ever thinking about using glue to put some of the green flocking on the leaves/stems for a bit more texture/color?

No I did not think about that, it's a good idea though.