Author Topic: 3D Modeling the BT map collection [TTS]  (Read 8605 times)

Eugee

• Sergeant
3D Modeling the BT map collection [TTS]
« on: 20 August 2016, 10:42:30 »
So I'm sure a lot of people here know that I play most of my Alpha Strike in TTS, because I live in BFE.  Last year I made 26 of the original maps as 3D models for use in TTS.  This morning I decided to start banging out the other maps that I haven't done yet.  First one I did was Large Mountain 1.  I think my favorite part of 3D modeling these maps is that first "oh wow" when you see the terrain all at once, instead of trying to abstractly form a picture in your head.

Large Mountain 1:
« Last Edit: 20 August 2016, 14:49:47 by Eugee »

ColonelCrow

• Private
Re: Large Mountain 1 [TTS]
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2016, 11:10:07 »
That's amazing! Stellar work, way to go!

Eugee

• Sergeant
Re: Large Mountain 1 [TTS]
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2016, 11:18:52 »
Wow, I didn't think it could look cooler, but when you add in Large Mountain 2...

Eugee

• Sergeant
Re: 3D Modeling the BT map collection [TTS]
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2016, 14:50:36 »

Okay, Battleforce 2 and Box Canyon side-by-side.  Box Canyon is a FREAKY map.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2016, 14:54:28 »
Indeed!  Any chance of getting you to repost your other maps here?  These first ones are amazing... O0

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2016, 14:57:07 »
Sure!  I have to do some yard work with the wife but when I finish I'll make a gallery of all the maps I've done so far.  :)  Here's the "aerial shot":

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2016, 15:00:27 »
Awesome, thanks!  Good luck with the yard work!

E6010Roots

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2016, 15:19:52 »
That is fantastic, especially the city map, wow!
NDT inspector by day, mechwarrior by night

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2016, 15:56:41 »
I started making all those maps with foamboard sheets a decade or so ago, and got 9 or so done.

It's just wonderful seeing what you've done, which I imagine wasn't much easier, and ... yeah, canyons was where I ran away screaming. (It looks absolutely wonderful, though!)

Have you implemented the AS rules in Tabletop Simulator, and how much manual intervention is needed? I'm assuming you haven't tried AI for solo play?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2016, 16:44:10 »
I had my wife on board for letting me make foamboard versions of these--but before I really got started I figured out there was no one around here (Helena, MT) to play with.  It's a shame because I lived around Kansas City for most of my life; right as I moved away the Battletech scene there really exploded.  :(

So making the maps isn't bad these days--I thought about making a stream of it to show how I do it--but the initial gruntwork of getting the templates going sucked.  At this point I have a blank board to start with; I just import the texture for the map I'm doing, start extruding hills/pits, add a non-colliding water layer, then add trees/rough (non-colliding) and save it.

My my Alpha Strike mod, it's really nothing more than a table, map, and minis.  I've extracted and scaled every mech from MWO to match the map scale (1" = 6m height, hexes are 2" edge to edge), plus I have a bunch of mechs/vehicles from other sources that I've collected.  There's no rules enforcement or anything--it's just a way to play with people across the world.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2016, 16:55:29 »
Well, my sons got me a Steam account so they could give me the Masters of Orion set (essential since my new laptop won't run my old MOO2 CD), so I may just download TS.

Very cool!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2016, 17:04:19 »
Citytech & Battletech:

Rolling Hills:

Desert Sinkhole:

Desert Mountain:

Desert Hills:

River Valley & Lake Area:

Heavy Forest:

Scattered Woods & City Ruin:

City Hills:

Downtown/Skyscraper/Residential/City Suburbs:

Yes, this map is as incredible to play on as you think.  I did a 12v10 IS/Clan fight on this last year and it was just... epic.  Phoenix Hawk included for scale.

Large Lakes:

River Delta:

Open Terrain:

Battleforce 2 & Box Canyon:

Deep Canyon:

Large Mountain:

Moonscape:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2016, 17:34:09 »
Gorgeous, every one of them!  I especially like that P-Hawk for scale on the city map! O0

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2016, 17:58:43 »
Wide River & Woodland:

That's the last two maps that I have higher rez scans of.  However I found some "CAF Division of Survey" thing with is just cool in and of itself, but I'm going to use that, along with smaller thumbnails, to keep making more of these.  :)

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2016, 20:43:30 »
Okay, so I'm really nerding out with this one.  Archipelago 1&2, from Map Pack 7.  I found some photographs of one, which were horribly skewed, and after a lot of perspective skewing I got it to work as a texture, sorta.  Combined with the CAF Survey site, I was able to piece it together.  This is the first time I actually added a real bridge to a map--the bridge collides with geometry, but the water below it does not.

Archipelago:

So all of these maps have non-colliding water, trees, and rough.  My command lance will demonstrate:

The AWS-8Q on the hilltop is in light woods, but the trees pass through the model so its easy to move pieces.  The WHM-6D is chilling out (get it?) in the depth 1 water, while the STK-3F is submerged below the bridge in depth 2.  The bridge itself does collide with models, allowing the VND-1R to perch up there, ready to jump.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2016, 21:19:09 »
Your use of the MWO skins had my spider-senses tingling (which is a problem, as they took my Mjodnir privileges away when I got the beard added to the blue beemer ;) ). Of course, completely legitimate in this use!

(But seriously, that Awesome is Super-Sumo, no?  ^-^ )

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2016, 21:53:22 »
Yeah, the MWO AWS is a fatty.  I've grown to love him all the same.  I actually really like the MWO models simply because PGI recently made a scaling pass, and set the mechs' heights by their volume.

E6010Roots

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2016, 23:07:06 »
Is TTS difficult to use? Your work is inspiring and I would love to try my hand at it when I get my new computer.

sneo

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2016, 11:28:46 »
any chance of sharing your work in workshop or private basis. i play BattleTech on TTS as well.

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 21 August 2016, 17:27:09 »
TTS is pretty simple.  You'll feel awkward trying to move stuff around and turn the camera at first, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Started a new project today--after making 40 battletech maps, I decided to start making some assorted buildings.  I'm using the Small Realities papercraft models as the guides, though with no instructions some of these are really taking awhile.  :)  That's a barracks, dormitories, comms towers, and a large command bunker (objective marker?).

And straight out of MW4, the mech hangar!  :)  (Seriously, it took forever to do this one without instructions.)

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 21 August 2016, 22:56:22 »
Spent the rest of the day making office buildings...
« Last Edit: 21 August 2016, 22:58:32 by Eugee »

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: 21 August 2016, 23:43:19 »
very cool work  O0

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2016, 01:16:36 »
Wow. Just wow.
Have you considered trying your hand at making the Casus Belli/Jeux Descartes BattleTech map?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 22 August 2016, 08:03:13 »
I do not have a decent picture of it to use for a texture.  I do have the "stats" for it on that CAF site I found, so I can model it--but without a texture shot to apply to it, the results will be pretty bad.

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #24 on: 22 August 2016, 12:10:04 »
That is fantastic, especially the city map, wow!

I want this in my life...
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 22 August 2016, 15:26:32 »
Finished all the building models from Small Reality.  I'll post a pic when I get home.

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2016, 18:53:17 »
I have too much free time at work...

I've modeled every building from the Small Realities site now for Tabletop Simulator:

That's a barracks, small factory, comm tower, small garage, 4 dormitories, large command bunker (with tower), the MW4 mech hangar, 3 city block tiles, 2 office towers, and 12 office buildings.

Then I started scowering (including this thread) for more stuff to model.  The HWG drop zone stuff is just beautifully textured, but 10mm.  So I shrank everything 60% down to 6mm and started modeling THOSE:

That's 3 3x2 residential, 5 3x3 commercial, 1 4x2 residential, 4 5x2 mixed residential, and there's still two more 5x3 mixed commercial I need to finish.  I *love* how these buildings turned out--the textures are just beautiful.

I also started digging through the Red Skullz MWDA stuff--where I found this VTOL Platform:

I grabbed some other stuff there, namely the HPG Uplink, but that one will take some time to do!

E6010Roots

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 24 August 2016, 19:17:06 »
Where did those HGW buildings come from, did a google and couldnt find anything.

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 24 August 2016, 19:36:27 »
http://www.hawkwargames.com/pages/downloads

Hawk WarGames makes Dropzone Commander.  They have a Cityscape and Ruinscape commercial product with looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, but it's 10mm and I think the buildings just look too large next to a mech.  There's a screenshot in this subforum somewhere of it if you look around.  These are the free PDFs they offer, and I scaled them down to 6mm.  They are absolutely beautiful textures.

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 01 September 2016, 08:45:03 »
Nice job!
« Last Edit: 01 September 2016, 08:53:05 by Ratboy »
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA