Author Topic: Speculation Question: (Please don't kill me for suggesting this!!)  (Read 2320 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Re: Speculation Question: (Please don't kill me for suggesting this!!)
« Reply #30 on: 02 January 2024, 16:57:19 »
It was just silly to insinuate that "munchkin allure" is why the Clans have fans.

Yeah, for some reason I have this intense urge to kill Cannonshop for suggesting it. I have no idea why...

Maybe not kill... maybe just... like put a tiny blemish on his favorite coffee mug. And every time he cleans and puts it away, add the blemish back on. Or keep adjusting the rear-view mirror in his car so every time he gets in it, it's crooked..... 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #31 on: 02 January 2024, 17:36:08 »
Subtle. 

But to be direct, he suggested "kill" in the OP so its understandable.  I hope by this point he understands that we get it too about posts like this.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #32 on: 02 January 2024, 21:53:32 »
Yeah, well - I had two regular opponents during the splash from 3050.  Neither one would willingly take SL-era units from 2750 or IS refits.  I learned a lot of the tactics I did because if tech was open, there would be Clan mechs, and I got to HATING CLAN MECHS with a burning passion.  Unfortunately, we were balancing with tonnage in those days and because I couldn't win I eventually demanded a 20% buff.

The most vexing thing was, one of them always attacked in a deathball.  No terrain, no maneuver, no firing at range - 'charge' was his only answer, and he did-it-every-time.  Run up and fire within 4-5 hexes.

So, I set fires, brought Infernos, did physical attacks, tried artillery, hidden bunkers, Jumping on Desert Canyon, everything I could think of.  I lost EVERY TIME. 

I still hate Clan tech, my project aside.  I'll only play it if I have to, and only because I want to win at any cost.  I figure, they did it first. :director:
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 03 January 2024, 06:57:40 »
I'm certainly not disputing that the introduction of Clan tech didn't cause balance issues or problems in the game. If the introduction of the Clans happened today, you'd hear modern parlance words like "Overpowered" and "game breaking" thrown around a lot. You'd get a ton of negative feedback that would probably send the game's developers scrambling to revise things and release a new product that tried to restore some degree of balance to tabletop play at least.

That's legit. And as you are pointing out, some players took advantage.

I blame some players as much as the game itself. I have a friend from about two decades ago who did similar things. We played a lot of different kinds of games together. He was not afraid to make some rather game-breaking demands or to take advantage of some drastically overpowered things in the game. We'd do it his way and he'd win most of the time. For example, with first person shooter video games in a private 1-v-1 format, he'd just shoot a missile launcher of some kind at your feet while you tried to fight him with a rifle or pistol or even a knife. He'd laugh at you dying and regard himself as an excellent player of that game. He'd repeat this pattern many times in a row.

Over the holidays, almost 2 decades later, that era came up in a group conversation, and I made a small "noob tuber" joke in his general direction, I could see the sheepish embarrassed look on his face. With age and maturity he knows what he did and he's quietly ashamed of it. We were both just dumb teenagers. He was dumb for doing it and not recognizing the imbalance in it, I was dumb for letting him get away with it too often without complaint.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2024, 09:11:07 by Alan Grant »

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 03 January 2024, 11:43:13 »
Even in the "current" era of BattleTech, many of the MechWarriors in Scorpion Empire's Seeker Galaxy use vintage Star League BattleMechs rather than Clan OmniMechs - in keeping with the philosophy after which this Galaxy is named.

Although, this is the kind of thing which might work better at a smaller scale of play, such as in either of the tabletop RPGs. At a larger level, how well a Seeker Galaxy force fares in comparison to the other "front-line" Galaxies in the touman is another story.

To put it another way: during the Hanseatic Crusade, the most critical contribution by the Seekers - aside from those whose deaths served as the trigger for the invasion itself - was the detachment which secured a key Star League-era facility on Braunschweig. The bulk of the Galaxy had a decidedly mixed track record, to include being defeated and driven off Lübeck by RDF 1 and CDF 1.

-----

Of course, the existence of the Seeker movement is itself an example of how the different Clans each provide one (or more) points of distinctiveness from the others.

Although the number of "active' Clans was dramatically whittled down by the Wars of Reaving, even the post-Reaving Clans (those we know about, at least) have been able to evolve in new directions, or in some cases to carry the legacies of dead Clans within their own ranks.

Indeed, in the case of the Scorpions, they have been able to acquire a host of bespoke legacies: the Empire as of 3151 has Goliath Scorpion, Ice Hellion, Eridani Light Horse, Umayyad, Castilian, and Hansa elements to draw upon. Plus all that swag from Solaris VII and from the Chaine Cluster to cart back home!

And while we wait to see what (if anything) has been going on in the Clan Homeworlds as of late, each of the Clans in the Inner Sphere and near Periphery has gone through its own changes - welcome or otherwise - in the century and more since the onset of Operation REVIVAL.

-----

That said, given the various issues that BattleTech had in the past with the "Unseen", I'd argue that, even beyond the on-table (or in-video-game) impact of the TRO:3050 Omnimechs, their very existence in design terms enabled BT to lean heavily on a "bespoke" set of illustrations and miniature designs, that were not beholden to someone else's IP.

Without the Timber Wolf in particular to help "sell" it, would the Clan Invasion Era have had quite the same lasting impact?

Plus, it's no coincidence that the Savage Wolf, the latest incarnation of the Timber Wolf design legacy, features prominently on the front (and back) cover(s) of the IlClan sourcebook.

Yes, it's been to BT's benefit to have finally left the "Unseen" issue behind. But even with a new range of "Reseen" designs now available in print, PDF, and miniature form, the setting would be much the poorer without those designs which have been drawn from the outset to function in this universe.

Hallu

• Recruit
« Reply #35 on: 03 January 2024, 12:20:17 »
Mmm... this question comes across as really, really bad faith.

But to engage with your question in good faith, despite said question being in unquestionably bad faith, people have brought up a lot of things which I broadly agree upon. The clans are one thing that's unquestionably BattleTech, their particular flavour of technobarbarism aren't something I've really seen elsewhere. Sure there's "proud warrior race guys" in many if not most sci-fi properties, but the eugenics program, bloodnames and all that seem pretty unique and specific. I like looking at fictional settings and imagined societies and seeing what people come up with, and the clans are by far the most creative imagined society in BattleTech, which unfortunately is not really that difficult considering the other ones, but I think they'd stand out fairly well even in more outlandish settings.

I think also, there's an aspect which I don't seem to have observed in other posts which I think bears consideration: the clans just have better branding.

I mean, look at them: Clan Wolf! Jade Falcon! Ghost Bear! Smoke Jaguar! These might sound unspeakably over the top to you, but they sound like the names of a sports team or mascot, which isn't too far from what they really are. Their logos are comparatively straightforward and simple compared to other factions, mostly 'animal on semi-abstract background', compared to, say, the excessively busy Federated Suns logo that for many, many years I never even realised included a sword because it's just got so many lines and points and stuff. I can see people wearing bright green Jade Falcon sports jackets with the logo and all and seeming pretty cool compared to, say, green Capellan Confederation jackets with the triangle even though they both have the cringey katana. The iconography, naming and such are just plain cooler than the other factions.

Compare this to the great houses: Federated Suns, Capellan Confederation, Free Worlds League, Lyran Commonwealth, Draconis Combine. If you knew nothing about the franchise, would Federated Suns, Capellan Commonwealth and Lyran Confederation sound meaningfully distinct to you? They all sound similarly mealy-mouthed 'good republic' to me, even though none of them are, and I even mixed up the CC and LC because they're so damn anodyne. Sure, Wolf doesn't have much inherent meaning compared to Jade Falcon, but they're meaningfully distinctive and easy to tell apart.

Of all the great houses, the Combine easily has the best branding: 'Draconis' means dragon and sounds cool and badass, and 'Combine' is a rare enough noun for a faction that it sticks out. They're also bright red and have that dragon in circle logo which is so cool Mortal Kombat basically uses it for their logo too, and that's before we get to all the katanas and Japanese and samurai stuff which sticks out from the vaguely western/European melange that comprise 60% of the great houses.

The Free Worlds League could, on name alone, be decent branding, and they've also go the eagle, which has been a pretty clear winner in terms of iconography for literally thousands of years. If they separated out that purple into red, white and blue they'd pretty clearly be your 'Murica stand-in and the obvious 'good guys' of the setting, so of course they're vaguely based on the Austro-Hungarian empire largely ignored for something like thirty years of real life history. If the game setup was the scrappy, freedom-lovin' patriots of the Free Worlds League against the evil, militaristic black and red empire of the Draconis Combine, it would slide much more easily into the cognitive space most people have in their heads. Generic, yes, but honestly it's a lot simpler to understand and pick a side than trying to explain that, see, the Federated Suns is Anglo-French European, the Lyran Commonwealth is Germanic European, and the Free Worlds League is 'hodgepodge of vaguely ethnic, not well known/understood central and eastern' European, and that's how they're different.

Compare that to the 'independent, innovative Wolves', versus the 'proud, rigid Jade Falcons' and 'vicious, savage and aggressive Smoke Jaguars' and you get the idea of who stands for what a whole lot quicker, especially as, at least at one point, they really did stand for different things, whereas the great houses largely stand for which feudal dynasty gets to rule the galaxy. Yes, there's substantial variation in what precise blend of despotism this means, but that's all this complicated nuance stuff that threatens to bore people off the whole setting if you're not careful about it.

I confess, I'm one of the people who first learned about BattleTech with MechWarrior 2 and the Wolves versus Falcons, so they were my introduction to the setting, but when I went to my local library and found the tie-in novels, I struggled to tell apart the different IS factions. I didn't realise, at any point in the novels that Victor Steiner-Davion was from a different nation state than Kai Allard-Liao; there's a good argument to be made that the St. Ives Compact wasn't really an independent nation state of its own, but all I saw was the broad brush of 'Clans vs. Inner Sphere', and while I could distinguish the different clans, because of their simple names and broad themes, the only great house I could recognise as distinct from the others was the Combine, because, as I mentioned above, they have by far the best branding.

My vague, half-remembered scraps of the cartoon conflated the 2nd Star League with the Federated Commonwealth (what a generic name!), which MechCommander, MechWarrior 3 and 4 entirely failed to disabuse me of, and I only really started 'getting' they were different in MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries when the FCCW was the main event. Frankly, without a grounding in the 3025 status quo, how was I supposed to tell apart these two western European flavours of feudal despotism, that they weren't 'naturally' the same faction? You have your blue western European kingdom fighting your yellow western European kingdom. Very distinctive. Sure, the blue guys are the bad guys, but nothing really communicated to me what, aside from their moral alignment, makes them different to the yellow guys.

Aside from the Combine, of course, there are actually factions in the Inner Sphere that are fairly distinctive and have good branding, but these aren't actually the main nation state players: most of the higher visibility mercenary units had decent branding, which I suppose is reasonable, given that branding is an in-universe concern for them as well. Wolf's Dragoons! Kell Hounds! Gray Death Legion! Incidentally, all of these things also have simple logos that would look good thrown on a jacket or t-shirt, though the names are perhaps less descriptive than the clans, who conveniently actively ape their namesakes in behaviour, but they at least sound cooler than the leaden, political names of the houses.

ComStar and the Word of Blake should have had good branding as well, what with the otherwise unused religious imagery, unique organisation, distinctive worldview, clear iconography, except that on the whole ComStar never really did anything involving giant robots blasting each other except Tukkayyid, while the Word of Blake were saddled with, well, the name of Word of Blake. Who is this Blake guy, and what's with this 'Word' of his? Red robes, cyborgs, superweapons and broadsword imagery weren't enough to save them from this spectacularly uninspiring name. They had all this crazy, techno-messianic-apocalyptic madness hidden behind that painfully dull name, and I guess it hardly helped when their one big shindig only happened in confusing retrospective sourcebooks.

It's quite telling that, in MechWarrior Dark Age, with the little splinter factions fighting amongst themselves, those factions were named something much more distinctive than their parents: 'Swordsworn', 'Dragon's Fury', 'Stormhammers'. Honestly, Dragon's Fury is pretty unnecessary for the best-branded great house, but sure. I don't know how the 'Federated Suns' is supposed to be meaningfully different from the 'Lyran Commonwealth' on names alone, but Swordsworn and Stormhammers give me some ideas as to how they're different while being largely true to the greater factional stereotypes. Honestly, I'd have had the Stormhammers named something about a fist instead, given hammers aren't a big part of Lyran iconography, but in getting across the idea of the faction (heavy hitting, brute force, no subtlety) it does the job pretty well.

To go off on an entirely different tangent, one thing I find fascinating about the clans is this attempt to be what I'd perhaps describe as a 'constitutional kratocracy', which isn't a concept I really find in other settings, though maybe if I was a die-hard Trekkie or Star Wars nerd I could make useful comparisons to Klingons or Mandalorians or whatever. In most of your 'proud warrior race guy' societies, you can overturn things with a duel to the death, sure, but aside from vague allusions to 'traditions' there usually aren't really any constraints on those challenges and duels. I find the clans particularly interesting in that they take this incredibly pessimistic view of human nature, i.e. that at the end of the day if someone really wants something he'll use deadly violence to get it, and, seeing it as inevitable, rather than trying to outlaw it, instead create a legal process to fit it into how society works without collapsing into anarchy.

Yeah sure, you can disagree with what your superior officer and throw down with him over it, but there's a whole bunch of procedures you go through if you want to go that far. Okay, you can try to overturn a majority democratic vote with force of arms, but the forces in that fight are in direct proportion to the final count of votes. Absolutely, if you really don't like something, you can use violence to protest it, but there's a time and a place for that we all agreed to; we're not savages, we're civilised warriors, and you can't just go around killing people you don't like at the drop of a hat, that's just barbaric.

This system of course falls apart in the Wars of Reaving, but, to me, it's an unusually well-elucidated system with its failures and weaknesses well-examined, at least partially to appease not-entirely-good-faith Inner Sphere fans with a hate-on for the clans after the terrible balancing of their introduction, but the setting is richer for it.

Comparatively, most of the Inner Sphere societies aren't subject to nearly the same level of scrutiny, probably because they aren't subject to nearly the same level of imagination in their creation, largely being 'like reality except politics is all aristocratic and feudal', or in the Combine's case, a particularly horrible aspects of various eras of Japan. The only one that has at least some imagination is the CapCon, which, for its sins, is the most aggressively interrogated of all the Inner Sphere societies by the fanbase. I won't really go into it here, but unlike at least some other states, it doesn't just seek to ape its historical antecedent but come up with its own vision and philosophy of totalitarianism; if the CC was just some ugly caricature of imperial China, it'd probably get less criticism from the fans.

I think, aside from being overpowered in their initial introduction to the game, the clans also have a certain amount of cachet as the 'high tech' faction, and if you stripped away all of their technology they'd lose something, but I don't think their unique technology needed to be overpowered, merely 'high tech' to retain that cachet. If the clans just had X-pulse lasers instead of their superlative clan versions for example, rather than the crappy, 2/3 range Star League versions the Inner Sphere were stuck with, that might have been enough to maintain that technological mystique, even though nobody thinks X-pulse lasers are overpowered.

Of course, if that were the case we'd probably have people shrieking about how X-pulse lasers are obviously, gruesomely overpowered and it's totally unfair these stupid clans get them, and extremely poorly veiled insinuations that it's only because they have such things that people like the clans.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #36 on: 03 January 2024, 22:53:10 »
Yeah, I second that, it was only during MW4: Mercs I kinda or bothered to learn more about IS Houses, and the FCCW era in the game showed that they were different.

But yes, after learning about the Inner Sphere Houses, I still only viewed it as Clan vs Inner Sphere, with (being a Clanner) knew intricates of each Clan, but mainly Jade Falcon

It is only after the "Fusion state" Era's begin and IS Clans changing, after the WoR etc, I only started seeing the Houses as different and unique from one another

All that being said, the only real House I like now is Davion (May be a bit biased, as I do live in a Commonwealth country :cool:)

Generic Clanner 24601

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 03 January 2024, 23:37:51 »
The question feels like it's asked in very bad faith. But I like talking about why I love the Clans, so I will answer it sincerely.

The answer is easy. Since I had no idea that the Clans had a tech advantage, I would say that it did not influence my love for them.

I got into BT as a kid through the CCG. I didn't notice an advantage *there. And even now, I play AS, so the tech advantage feels less of a thing from my understanding.

As for why I chose the Clans. Well, they had cooler names. I mean, that was a large part of it (at least that's why Jade Falcon and Smoke Jaguar were above Wolf). The rules books had quite a bit of lore in them if I remember correctly, but the Houses didn't quite click with me. The Clans though, they did. How the Clans evolved just seems much more interesting to me than the Houses. I love the Wolf's Dragoons for the same reason. They are an unique culture formed by the events that could only happen once. I also enjoy the Periphery some for the same reason, some for the others. But IS just doesn't click with me. Outside of mercs of course.

Honestly, I skimmed other posts, and many them pretty much said similar things, but better and more detailed.

As for what Clans I like, most of them not named Wolf. Though two in particular.

Snow Raven: Several factors here. I like the idea of a political manipulator Clan. Being an underdog who has come close to destruction multiple times is a plus in my book. I also like they settled in Outworlds Alliance being partial to the Periphery that I am.

Jade Falcon: Nostalgia from my childhood when they barely beat the Smoke Jaguars as my favorite faction in the CCG. I like how they are (for much of their history) how they are the most Clan of the Clans. I'm excited to see how Jiyi shapes the Clan after their near destruction. And their playstyles matches mine (well, in their later years).

*If it was obvious in the card game, I still missed it. I didn't have anyone to play with, so I just basically wound up collecting them.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 04 January 2024, 09:41:01 »
Mmm... this question comes across as really, really bad faith.

The question feels like it's asked in very bad faith.

There are a few others, so I guess I need to say something.

I've been really, really, really  pleased at your responses, the question got exactly the reaction I wanted from most of you-actual investment in the Clan story, not their technical advantages or gameplay exemptions, or whatever, but the story and characterization of your favorite factions (or favored factions, anyway}...and a much lower amount of people bitching about gameplay items or 'people don't actually work that way' claims.

IOW, you can think it's in bad faith, but your answers are exactly the answers I actually wanted to read, and why I set the question up like I did-the people who actually don't didn't, for the most part, bother.

The exceptions to that, were very clear about their experience being very individual, rather than stereotyping whole swathes of the fanbase, which is what i've seen happen in threads like this that were less...aggressively phrased in the past-I effectively invalidated the munchkin claim by tossing it out first for people to destroy in their own minds while showing off their love for the factions and their understanding of why they love them.

so, maybe a little bit of bad faith, and I'll apologize for that, I very manipulatively got the responders to give me the responses I think actually matter, from people who actually care.

which is a bit of a dick move, but I'll own up to it being a manipulative, underhanded move on my part, because I got what I was after from you, and from the others who gave impassioned, clear, strong answers in favor of their favored factions.

My own experience: I started Battletech in High School, then hiatus for a while, then Battletech in the Army for a couple years, then hiatus, then Battletech again through the death of FASA.

From about the point 'Clan' started being a thing, I saw a lot of the negatives, but there were the occasional Clan Fans who actually liked the Clans, players who would sit down at the table and actually try to play the faction like it's written...because they weren't there merely to win, they wanted to win in Character.

Those are the guys who I enjoyed playing against, and who I enjoyed playing on the same team with.  They were fun to write campaigns for, and to run campaigns with.

And, they were more common than casual forumites would think, especially in the early days of the Internet.

Everyone has stories about that 'one guy' who won't use anything but Clantech, and mobs, uses massed focus fire, and abuses advantages.  I'm not looking for that guy, we all know he's out there, we've all got at least one of him in our gaming group, he's usually sitting next to the guy who doesn't know any of the history of his faction, but can list their weapons and unit specials without cracking a book..and we're not here to talk about THAT guy, either.

This thread is about the people who Know and love their faction for its story, and feel, and style and characters.

And, I'm happy to say that that person is most of the answers here.

anyway, I'm going back to shutting up now, so that my presence doesn't ruin or ****** this up.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #39 on: 04 January 2024, 12:23:10 »
I think its hard to get a true answer to that question based on these forums.

The people in this thread alone are clearly fans of the clans.

I don't disagree with any of the answers at all.

That said, hmm, yeah, honestly, I will go ahead & disagree with the premise that the entirety of the game base is equal to these excellent responses & say YES, there would have been "less" clan fans as a whole w/o the tech/munchkin advantage.

Lets face it, when the Clans appeared, if you played back in the early 90's, there were DEFINETLY those people that immediately went about using jumping TC custom Pulse boats against IS Intro Tech.  Now whether those munchkins still play today I can't say or if they are still clan fans or if they are on these boards.
 But I can say they did exist, lol.

As for me, (looks at avatar),  The first dozen or so novels in print sort of shaped my "factions".
  Though I will say the FM series did a wonderful job of giving me things that I can find to love about "most" factions.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 04 January 2024, 14:12:33 »
I think its hard to get a true answer to that question based on these forums.

The people in this thread alone are clearly fans of the clans.

I don't disagree with any of the answers at all.

That said, hmm, yeah, honestly, I will go ahead & disagree with the premise that the entirety of the game base is equal to these excellent responses & say YES, there would have been "less" clan fans as a whole w/o the tech/munchkin advantage.

Lets face it, when the Clans appeared, if you played back in the early 90's, there were DEFINETLY those people that immediately went about using jumping TC custom Pulse boats against IS Intro Tech.  Now whether those munchkins still play today I can't say or if they are still clan fans or if they are on these boards.
 But I can say they did exist, lol.

As for me, (looks at avatar),  The first dozen or so novels in print sort of shaped my "factions".
  Though I will say the FM series did a wonderful job of giving me things that I can find to love about "most" factions.

First a quick shoutout to Cannonshop. Your explanation is appreciated, and I'm happy to see the range of responses as well. So it's been a good thread. Thanks for starting it.

Responding to Hellraiser's answer. Fewer fans if Clan tech was less powerful... sure, probably. I can't prove or disprove anything, thus your theory is valid.

But I think more important than all of that from my perspective, was how much focal story time the Clans got. Novels, video games (Mechwarrior 2 but even being the scary enemy in Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was impactful), cartoon etc. Clans everywhere.

I think that actually had more of an influence than the technology and game mechanics. In my critical Battletech fan forming years, what was out to be read and be played was the early Mechwarrior games, with a focus on the Clans and the Clan Invasion. I was also exposed to the cartoon. I was also exposed to the novels. From the Blood of Kerensky series to the Twilight of the Clans novels and on past that. I became a fan right in the middle of the Twilight of the Clans novel series era as those books were being published. I have very distinct memories of going to a store and buying those books.

I was also a HUGE fan of FM: CC and FM: WC, and The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky. Those books drove a lot of my interest in the Clans and they were published in that same late '90s window.

The Clans were frequently depicted in everything. They honestly felt very front-and-center to the whole BT universe.

In terms of Great Houses I was actually a FWL fan back then as well. But it was very difficult to be a FWL fan when the 3050s-60s were playing out in real time. They just weren't doing anything. I felt very alone in my FWL fandom back them. I was a FWL trivia nerd when nobody in my particular group of BT fans cared even a little about the FWL. But fellow Clan fans were everywhere (and even if they weren't Clan "fans" they were often happy to discuss the Clans because they were central to the main storylines of the universe). There's little doubt in my mind (both back then and today) that the frequent product exposure to the Clans drove a lot of the fandom.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2024, 14:29:32 by Alan Grant »

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
« Reply #41 on: 04 January 2024, 15:42:26 »
Meh. I always saw the Clans as villains and always will. I do agree that a large part of their popularity was that their toys were better than IS jocks (even though their tactics, moral code, and general inability to win against a large portion of IS mercs and troops was deflating).

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #42 on: 04 January 2024, 19:36:51 »
I came to Battletech via Mechwarrior 2 and the fiction.  I was a Clan fan well before I ever got a taste of their table top prowess.

It was just silly to insinuate that "munchkin allure" is why the Clans have fans.

It's also a weird pre-2007 framing.  Clan Tech hasn't been overpowered since BV2 became a thing.  Just expensive.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #43 on: 04 January 2024, 20:26:18 »
that the frequent product exposure to the Clans drove a lot of the fandom.

This is why I ended up a FedCom/Merc+Wolf.
The only book out of the first dozen-ish that didn't center on them was the Teddy K one.
Even the Wolf books had a very Dragoon/Kell feel to them.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 05 January 2024, 05:40:15 »
can you explain why?

Because my first exposure to BT was Mechwarrior 2 and my second exposure was the novel "Bloodname." I had been into BT for awhile before realizing the IS was the primary part of the setting.

Register