Author Topic: Were there any instances outside the ones established, were primitives in use?  (Read 266 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
I have a interest in primitive/retrotech units and I was wondering. after the 2400s would it be possible to buy Primitive units as surplus for personal usage? If so what are the pros and cons of going with such units?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
The Master Unit List shows availability for some Primitive units all the way up to the end of the Star League era, before they drop off a cliff.  For example, the Terran Hegemony list has the KY2-D-01 Kyudo, the RFL-1N Rifleman, the SHD-1R Shadow Hawk, the DV-1S Dervish, the GRF-1A Griffin and EMP-1A Emperor.

If some Primitives hang on as late as 2780, I don't see why a handful of them might be operating in areas where better 'Mechs are hard to come by.  The biggest con, of course, is a continual supply of spare parts.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
They’re all extinct between the end of the star league and the recovery of the Dallas memory core

Pros: it’s a mech?
Cons: it’s a substandard mech

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
The short story packed with A Game of Armored Combat featured a Primitive Commando.  This was during the Third Succession War.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Minemech

• Captain
 In militaries likely not. Now in lower-level institutions, I mean sub-militia, it is not impossible. The Sarissa was largely produced using League experience assembling Indies, so producing other mechs in such a manner for private security roles is not impossible.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
The short story packed with A Game of Armored Combat featured a Primitive Commando.  This was during the Third Succession War.

so there's one (and one that didn't exist before that fiction at that). it would take an author conjuring some more from very old scrap heaps for there to be more. (they're unruly and capricious in this way. we need to fix the holes in the fence and keep better track of them)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register