Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 161738 times)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Star Trek Discovery
« on: 18 May 2017, 11:33:55 »
And here it is...  (link)
Oh dear gawd...

I'm grateful We'll only have to see the pilot aired on actual TV.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: First look at Star Trek: Discovery...
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2017, 11:53:09 »
Well, the ships is a dramatic improvement over what was revealed previously.

However, WTF did they do with the Klingons? They couldn't stick with the Next Gen look, they had to go even uglier. They look more like the Uruk-hai from LotR than they do like Klingons.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Clangador

• Lieutenant
  • The Pimptastic Purple Pyrate...
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2017, 13:11:34 »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not optimistic.  :(
~Clangador

This post "is brought to you by Soylent Red and Soylent Yellow, high energy vegetable concentrates, and new, delicious, Soylent Green. The miracle food of high-energy plankton gathered from the oceans of the world."
Soylent Green (1973)

"Build coffins, that's all you'll need."
The Omega Man (1971)

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2017, 13:39:14 »
I want to be excited, I mean it's more Star Trek to watch, but every time I get excited I remember the paywall it'll be behind, and I think of how they are blatantly exploiting the fans that they do have, instead of making new fans. It just seems like a money grab to me, and I just can't get past that.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2017, 13:54:42 »
ok...why do i hear old trekkies chanting...burn it burn it burn it with fire!

as far as i am concerned lets see what it does before i break out my torch....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2017, 14:39:24 »
ok...why do i hear old trekkies chanting...burn it burn it burn it with fire!

as far as i am concerned lets see what it does before i break out my torch....
Only for the pilot. After that you have to pay for CBS Access to see the rest of the episodes.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2017, 15:31:56 »
It looks like movie level production, and I have a feeling it takes place in the alternate JJ verse.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2017, 15:53:42 »
It looks like movie level production, and I have a feeling it takes place in the alternate JJ verse.

It's confirmed as in the Prime universe.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2017, 19:38:03 »
From what I saw, the ship doesn't look near as bad as it did before...if that was the Discovery...

But I agree on the Klingons...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2017, 21:55:01 »
It's confirmed as in the Prime universe.
Prime timeline, but seems like JJ (Kelvin) Klingons.
I'm not going to say "burn it with torches", but neither will I go out of my way to watch this honestly.

Let the new generation of Trekkies have this one. Have fun folks.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2017, 23:26:05 »
From the sound of it, they wanted a Klingon look that was a hybrid of the Original Series and Next Generation.  I'm...not sure they succeeded.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2017, 00:04:21 »
I wish I could get excited about this...aesthetics aside, the whole paywall thing is a dealbreaker for me. I just don't see it carrying their streaming service like they're hoping it will. Maybe I'm wrong, but from every Trek fan I've talked to, it's the same for them. Which is a shame, because if it doesn't work like CBS is hoping, it'll be a long time before they greenlight another series for the franchise.

It does look cool, I'll give them that though. And having Michelle Yeoh in a recurring role is great. (Would watch it just for her scenes to be honest.) Did anyone else get the vibe that the captain of the Discovery is half-Vulcan? And yeah, it does appear that someone got in some good thwacks with the ugly-stick on the Klingons. :P

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2017, 00:42:06 »
Prime timeline, but seems like JJ (Kelvin) Klingons.
I'm not going to say "burn it with torches", but neither will I go out of my way to watch this honestly.

Let the new generation of Trekkies have this one. Have fun folks.

It's going to be on Netflix here, so I'll watch it.

At this point, I have to say I really don't care about visual incongruities between this and TOS/Enterprise.  Trying to tie a prequel to how a TV show looked 50 years ago is a recipe for disaster in terms of mass appeal.  Use the Macross justification if you must - everything is a fictionalisation of "true" events, and depending on budget and when it was made determine how things looks.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2017, 13:41:57 »
It's going to be on Netflix here, so I'll watch it.

At this point, I have to say I really don't care about visual incongruities between this and TOS/Enterprise.  Trying to tie a prequel to how a TV show looked 50 years ago is a recipe for disaster in terms of mass appeal.
I dunno, if you toned down the lens flare and put some colors in that weren't "Apple Store White", the look from the first reboot movie worked for me as a decent prequel. Am I asking for old sets that look 40+ years old? No, but with budgets and technology we have now there can be a sense of something close to a prequel and still look good.

Take The Force Awakens for example. A sequel to the old Star Wars: yet in terms of design, focus, and colors it still felt like it was part of a Universe that was created decades ago.

Now this show may do something like that, but from what I can tell the Klingons just don't look good...that's all.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2017, 13:47:20 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2017, 14:35:54 »
My only comment about this is:

GIMME GIMME GIMME!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2017, 15:37:58 »
I dunno, if you toned down the lens flare and put some colors in that weren't "Apple Store White", the look from the first reboot movie worked for me as a decent prequel. Am I asking for old sets that look 40+ years old? No, but with budgets and technology we have now there can be a sense of something close to a prequel and still look good.

Take The Force Awakens for example. A sequel to the old Star Wars: yet in terms of design, focus, and colors it still felt like it was part of a Universe that was created decades ago.

Now this show may do something like that, but from what I can tell the Klingons just don't look good...that's all.

I think there's a big difference between matching a low-budget TV series from 50 years ago and making it look good in these hi-def days, and doing the same for a 40 year-old movie that spent the bulk of its budget on effects.

Though I do agree that the MacBook Enterprise was a good update of the look and feel of the original series, that Discovery isn't doing the same is nowhere near a dealbreaker for me.  If it's good, and it fits the Trek idiom well enough, I'll be happy.  The visuals looks more than competant, even if they don't match what's gone before particularly well.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2017, 15:55:41 »
The bridge looked huge; I'd have thought something closer to the Franklin/NX01 would have been more likely
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2017, 17:42:53 »
I'll watch a couple episodes, to give it a chance, but frankly my opinion at this point is MEH. I know they've said it's prime timeline, but the appearance gives more of a JJ vibe. Personally, I'd call it JJ-verse and avoid much of the 'burn it with fire' crowd. YMMV.

The ship shown in the trailer is probably the Shenzhou (sp?) not the Discovery.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2017, 18:40:06 »
The previews made it look a lot better then what I was told about it before. I still don't like the fact that I have to pay a whole different system to watch it.
The first season went from 13 to 15 episodes.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

scatcat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2017, 19:06:49 »
This is all flash and no soul.

This series is clearly relying on special effects to hide a lack of story. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2017, 22:08:59 »
They just released another trailer on youtube for Discovery few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

Essentially you get fuller feel for everything.  The new trailer shows a ship (It may not be Discovery) show casing the main character, the initial brush up with the Klingons and so forth.

It looks sharp. It is set 10 years before Kirk so i have reservations about it.  So i'm just treating it as a revision universe. It's too hightech and feel for it too different now from the classic television series. Understandably so, non-trekie may not want to see 1960s style television show that maybe more primitive than what they've seen in the threaters.

So if viewable i'll see it.   I don't think CBS's writes came up with retro-series i'd be die hard for, but trailer looks sharp.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2017, 08:24:36 »
That's supposed to be the Shenzou in the trailer, based on her captain.  We'll see what happens to Disco as far as what the ship finally looks like.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2017, 09:21:00 »
Yea, I posted that trailer here and...  I'm really disappointed.

If it was a post- ST:Nemesis series, I might be more open about it. But as a pre-ToS series, no thanks. And it isn't about the characters, it's the visuals. They are totally off mark that close to ToS.

As I mentioned in my thread's OP:
I'm grateful We'll only have to see the pilot aired on actual TV.

Since it's gonna be behind CBS' paywall (US) or Netflix (Everywhere else) beyond the pilot, if it seriously tanks (and I feel it will...) the only ones out are those who paid for CBS All-access.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2017, 10:51:27 »
Yea, I posted that trailer here and...  I'm really disappointed.

If it was a post- ST:Nemesis series, I might be more open about it. But as a pre-ToS series, no thanks. And it isn't about the characters, it's the visuals. They are totally off mark that close to ToS.

As I mentioned in my thread's OP:
Since it's gonna be behind CBS' paywall (US) or Netflix (Everywhere else) beyond the pilot, if it seriously tanks (and I feel it will...) the only ones out are those who paid for CBS All-access.

Im going to watch it for my Star Trek liking, but I wish it would move on in the time line where ST10 left off.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 27 May 2017, 10:58:37 »
Im going to watch it for my Star Trek liking, but I wish it would move on in the time line where ST10 left off.
Funny that, a fan-made film came out before the kestopo rules CBS/Paramount came in record things.  It's called Star Trek: Renegade.  The trailer was awesome.  My father was showing off his sony player/internet hook up and came apon it.  I was bad mouthing the video for Discovery, then we saw that from 2015.  It's leagues better in sense it's intouch with the what had been established before.  Alot of old school actors and it was produced by Tim Russ. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2017, 14:23:33 »
IT almost seemed to me that the Orville trailer seemed more like Star Trek to me then the Discovery trailer.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: 27 May 2017, 15:29:49 »
Orville seems like an attempt to capture Galaxy Quest and not quite getting there.  But I'll watch it :)

But I'm revved up for Discovery.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2017, 15:44:52 »
https://youtu.be/3I3y3_QmBsQ

This video gives a really good rundown on the show news (both rumor and press releases). And also gives a good bit about where Axanar fits in. (Yes, that production strayed too far, but the only reason CBS/Paramount came down so hard was because the new show was in development by that point. It doesn't bode well when fans are more excited about a fan-made production rather than a new official one.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2017, 16:07:21 »
It would have avoided a lot of the fan hate that STB got last spring had TPTB just bought out Axanar (rights, story ideas) but nooooo, they had to be [Censored] about it. I could give two farts and a shift of my buttocks about STD atm... yes, it looks beautiful, but I fall back on old Navy lessons learned. Sure she's a cutie but those STD's the HM's warned us about during the port brief...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2017, 16:37:36 »
If I watch it at all, it will be to see Michelle Yeoh as a star ship captain.  I'm using her image for a JumpShip captain in a game I used to run here.