Author Topic: 3025 Intro Game  (Read 2531 times)

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
3025 Intro Game
« on: 28 July 2011, 11:41:23 »
For my first game as an agent, I did a basic 3025 game. I had 4 people show up to play that have never played before, so I needed to keep it simple and fast paced. I debated on using the Quick Strike rule set but settled on the Introductory rules. It was a 4600 BV game (based more on what units I wanted more then anything else). I tried to pick units that would help teach heat and movement.  I also limited myself to lights and mediums as I didn't want the game dragging on  and all the other complications that Heavies and assaults can bring to the table.
Highlights of the game:
Two Wasps duking it out.
A Falcon back-stabbing a Hunchback and critting the AC/20 (most feared unit on the field)
A Panther getting behind the Falcon, missing with both the PPC and SRM and getting a CT crit from the Falcons rear facing MGs (Who said those were worthless?!)
Another Panther (hey, what do you expect? I do LOVE the Panther)DFA the Hunchback. Of course the AC/20 had just been knocked out, but hey...  The Panther was also on its last legs, with lots of damage, so it was a fun way for it to go out.

They guys had a lot of fun, so here's hoping they bring friends next time!

Giving some universe back ground

Set-up. Of course out of all my maps, I grabbed the one with a rip...

Death From Above!

You can see the two Wasp's dueling it out in the corner. The SoL painted one, won.
Maker of big things.

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
Re: 3025 Intro Game
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2011, 18:45:25 »
Haha I like the constantly jumping panther fig that' a cool little twist. Just curious (maybe I'm dumb if its obvious) howe the death from above photo? What did you mean by 'as an agent' (also possible dumb question, sorry). The little synopsis you gave is why I like low tech games - all thes heaps of spare parts barely hobbling around still clinging to the fight beating on their enemies with their own severed arms or crawling around with one leg and a crippled engine and such till the end.

What you said about not using heavy mechs though. I don't find they bog the game down. Most lighter mechs are faster and have few weapons at 3025 era. that means less stuff to fire and harder hit rolls. If you plonked a warhammer or a orion or whatever is available in there - their firepower would just blast each other to bits, that much faster and armor offset th fact that they are plodders. Plus, aren't the Panther and the Hunchback kind of midget heavy mechs anyway? max armor, big weapons, slow speed? The Hunchback has the same speed, armor, and almost same big gun as a Cyclops (only difference in that whopping 40 ton differnce is an LRM10 rack and a mighty SRM4) they may as well be heavy mechs as far as battlefield role goes.

When I move soon, I am looking forward to starting a battletech league at the local game/comic store that has quite a few D&D, clickytech, MtG and GWarhammer players, but no regulars who have played much real battletech. my buddy the owner has played it a couple times but I want to get a group going just based on having a mech 'draft' from the basic boxed set so everyone who playes will draft their mech figs from the box set I'll get, adding 1 per game until there's 6 lances and 6 players all sucked into the game (They are GWers mostly - dangle a new figure incentive per game in front of them like a carrot and they will bite  :)  ) I think a lot of people try it, find it slow paced, and go play a more quick-fix game.. but if it gets gradually added to, they might get a longer attention span, and in 4 games as they bild up and personalize their lance, understand the simple graceful complexity of the rules well enough to appreciate it more than they may have with just one experience.
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2011, 19:22:11 »
Guitardian: The jumping Panther mini is currently the only available one from IWM. As for the photo, the Panther's base just happened to sit perfectly on the Hunchback's head.

If you see that brown Battlemaster by any one's profile, it means that they are officially sanctioned by Catalyst Game Labs (the producer of BattleTech products) to teach the game and run events. We're called "agents" and belong to the "Demo Team"

My other great fear with heavy and assaults were they would kill the lesser units off right away. And I really wanted to avoid everybody having heavy weight units, so I thought this the best compromise.
If I thought I was going to have a greater turn-out, I would have used a "*grinder" format, but since it was only 4 people, it was easy enough to manage.

* A grinder is a game where all players start with a light mech. When that mech is killed, they are given a medium then a heavy and finally an assault.   All within the same game.

Maker of big things.

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2011, 13:13:37 »
re:Agent: Cool. I want to be an 'agent'. I do that already and used to for years back in college just not with a cool official title.

re: Jumping Panther: That' a shame, I would think a regular one would be more popular and converters could make it jumpy if they wished. All my figs are old partha stuff, plastech (ugh, but funny and fill in the gaps, and some are salvagable with a good paint job), and plastics from various box set editions, so I haven't really looked at the IWM catalog much except to spot-recognize the re-seens (what are those silly bumps on the battlemaster's shoulders for anyway?)

re:HEAVIES (I just like capitalizing that word) I can undestand to a point for a very beginner game I would put everyone in something versatile and maneuverable rather than a dedicated fire platform. A Wasp will not hold up to a warhammer except as part of a lance type action, but it won't take the PPC hit from a Panther any better, or AC/20 from a Hunchback either. Another great thing about 3025 (Yeah I'mbiased because when I started playing) is that there are no 'ultimate' mechs. Either it's too big for its speed, causing it to be comparatively about as heavilly armed as a balanced built medium... Or its too slow to close, on a large enough playing area, or short ranged for most of its punch (Ha ha stupid Victor, my Panther Keeeel you!)... Or its a glass cannon that can dish it but not take it, or have severe heat issues. There are a few tough, balanced, builds but even they have their issues - weapon placement or  the existance of CT ammo crits, too little ammo for their primary weapon(s), helpless if closed in on ("not so Awesome now are ya buddy?"), whatever there's always something. There are no perfect heavy/assault mechs and it gives new players a feeling of DREAD when they have to team up to kill a big guy, and a feeling of accomplishment when they pull it off. I still think like a Dungeonmaster for an old AD&D game when it comes to running games... especially games for new players. Limited, gradual accomplishment, goals and gains bit by bit instead of a BV total handed to them, gradual access to more.. gets them wanting more. Take advantage of the initial exotic wonder at all these possible mechs we all long time players no longer have since we seen it all and used it all, and give em a tidbit at a time.

Oh yeah I was sayin something about the use of heavies not necessarily crushing the lights out of the game... Point is, the light mechs can get away and not engage the heavies, the heavies will recognize the threat they are to each other and focus fire on the big slow easy target that is pouring all kinds of fire out rather than the chancey shot at -4 or whatever at an irrelevant Stinger that just jumped into a woods hex nearby with its plinky weapon array.

In any war game, whether they know the specific rules or not, smart people prioritize targets based on neutralizing biggest threat with lowest risk as opportunity arrises or positioning to make that opportuity arise. The warhammer wont turn his back on the thunderbolt in order to pop off a shot at the stinger it's too risky and with minimal threat-neutralization reward. Light mechs survive by being fast enough to pick their own fights on thier own terms, and small enough threat to not catch the attention of the big dogs unless there's nothing better to shoot at or they were dumb and stopped moving making themselves easy target-of-opportunity. Little side note I exploit all the time as a big fan of their heavier light mechs in general... Light mechs can also kick perfectly well and heavies can also fall down just as easily and get hurt consideraly more when they do. Watch a Jenner take apart a Jagermech any day.

I don't remember which book I read it in, but it was surmised that in 3025, 50 or 55 ton mechs are the most 'efficient' size... as the engine weight, jump jet weight, and so on, rise considerably in proportion to the mech's tonnage as it gets any bigger, and they are big enough to mount loads of armor if they want, not so restricted by structure as the little ones... and indeed many of the TR3025 assault mechs could do well shedding a few pounds actually giving them more weight available due to the smaller engine requirement.

I think especially in 3025, unlike in higher tech levels where it is easy to get a fast mech with punch, heat management, and armor to boot, the tradeoff in low tech is always between being slow(awesome), being undergunned(banshee, charger), being proportionally weakly armored(cyclops, rifleman, jagermech, warhammer, etc), or being bad with heat management(stalker, marauder, crusader, thunderbolt, well... most of them actually) - and past a certain weight range, all mech designs of that era are making one or usually more of those sacrifices. If the board is big enough for room to move, you say Atlas I say Warhammer and trump you with range+speed+unlimited ammo despite being 30 tons lighter. So if a 35 ton Jenner can realisticly hope to successfully duke it out with a 65 ton Jagermech, or a 70 ton Warhammer with a 100 ton Atlas, weight classes become a grey area for actual quality.

RE:Grinder (and how to keep players interested in learning enough to get full into the game):

I meant over a course of weeks... like first game, they all pick a medium mech, based on the write-up reviews of the mechs in the box set and quickstart rules. play a game with 6 players, 1 mech each, free-for-all, or make teams or 3 1 on 1 mini games whatever. Just to learn movement, shooting, and heat.

Next week, they get to add another mech (the box set has 24 basic mechs, 10 are medium, 'tis why I figured start with medium), trade mechs for draft pics like an NFL sort of thing ("I'll give you my Vindicator for your Cicada if I can pick before you in the next round") - each new game adds a new mech so the players get the hang of the tactics of using initiative priority, of baiting, etc - lets them see what different mechs can do and develop their own play style with which way they like to fight best.. some players will have the brawler insinct and learn the way of the Bear with their big physical attacking Banshee model just stomping up in their enemies faces, or the way of the Giant Sloth with their lazy Awesome sitting on a hilltop just fliging poop at everything in sight, another day they learn to love the way of the Monkey, (maybe become fond of the Jenner or Assassin or Clint), etc like some bad kung fu movie - and they can swap back and forth until they have all had a chance to play with, or maybe just against all kinds of different approaches to the game- but new players are curious. They want a chance to swap around, 'trade', try different stuff.

by stretching the addition of a limited pool of mechs over 4 weeks, 1 scheduled game a week,  until everyone has a full lance, that seems like a good way to get people to stick with it... look foreward to it

"yeah Jeff used that Clint last week it was all over the place and never stopped firing I though it was crap until I saw how he was using it, I want to try that one next week"

then introduce the roleplaying element, pick a side or go merc, name your pilots, award skll levels here and there to the ones who did exceptionally etc.. officially "draft" away the figs from the box set to the 6 players best battle record gets first pick, etc?) and have a painting day and everyone's happy they are proud owners of a little mercenary lance of their own, hopefully they'll all want a set of their own so they can expand and learn more. It's those baby steps to get them involved for the "long run" in the first place is the big hump.  This is the theory anyway. I have the six players, just still wont be going back to Ohio till september so its just waiting to happen. If you can't tell I have a lot of time to plan right now and no game to play yet.

ANYWAY I'm writing a novel here... just cool to see an intro game as I'm about to start doing that myself again after a few years off...very soon. I wanna know more about this Agent thing.
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.