Author Topic: (AU) Ian Davion, Golden Lion (Complete, Comments welcome)  (Read 46641 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: (AU) Ian Davion, Golden Lion
« Reply #60 on: 13 July 2018, 23:43:44 »
She wasn't hit, the sniper missed his target.
And are we sure in this AU Romano killed her dad?  and who said this Romano isn't less crazy and more crafty.  Like I said, the assassin wasn't a Kali Follower, but a either a professional Assassin or Death Commando, something our Romano wouldn't do.

While I will agree Comstar will gain benefits from this.  If they wanted to drive the wedge, the assassin would not have had tattoos related to the Free Rasalhague Republic’s Kungsarme but to the fedsuns.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 14 July 2018, 01:12:53 »
Ok I'll give you that we don't know yet that she is as bat turd crazy as ours but all things considered the point of deviation in this AU shouldn't have had an effect on that so baring evidence to the contrary its a logical to conclude she is. Therefore its also logical to conclude baring said evidence that she would act to type.

On the note of the tattoos why would Comstar assume that the LIC would think the MIIO would be stupid enough to hire a guy that a flashing neon sign that says we did it? No its the weapons, the travel stuff and account that casually point back at the Suns. Still sloppy but could be chalked up to the guy figuring he wouldn't get caught by the investigation team. Institutional arrogance is a Lyran trait. Safe for someone like Comstar to figure the LIC would assume there opposite numbers are equally so. Remember it's the LIC that this dog and pony show is being run for not the Allards.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 14 July 2018, 07:56:40 »
you know Starfox, I'm betting we are providing AlphaMirage with a good laugh.

So who do you think the target was Starfox?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 14 July 2018, 09:45:31 »
At first I was thinking Ian or Katrina but the more I think about it I'm betting on the new Mr Stiner.  Thing is this outcome is at least as good for Comstar than if the hit had gone off. With the alliance being weaker than in our verse Stiner might not even know to suspect Comstar.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 14 July 2018, 13:21:42 »
Interesting reasoning, and I can see where you are coming from on the Thomas Steiner-Bradford being the target.

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #65 on: 14 July 2018, 22:18:52 »
Thank you hopefully we won't have to wait long to see how close we got to guessing

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 17 July 2018, 08:56:02 »
Thank you hopefully we won't have to wait long to see how close we got to guessing

You were very good and I definitely appreciate you post padding my thread.  I was thinking Tormano as the intended target.  Either sister could have been the person ordering the hit as both have reasons (Romano is nuts and Tormano knows that but prefers to take his chances in the Commonwealth far away from Candace as well).  Sisters are just nasty like that. 

Now the fact that either Precentor St Ives or Precentor Sian provided the necessary contact information to The Grey Man could be entirely coincidental. 

This is going to be a quick overview of my 3040.  I'll get back to an in-person story maybe as soon as later today.

Historical Interlude 1
Important Events
Death of Katrina Steiner on Tharkad 01/04/3040
Birth of Thomas Arthur Steiner, Archon Melissa Steiner’s first born 03/02/3040
Katrina Steiner’s State Funeral and burial on Gallery 07/04/3040

War Status
The Andurian-Magistracy invasion of Romano Liao’s Capellan Confederation ends after a counter-attack by the CCAF and the loss of both ringleaders on the opposing side.  A motion to continue attacks on the Capellan Confederation is defeated in the Atreus parliament after an impassioned speech delivered by Mandrinn Tormano Liao.

The Capellan Confederation Civil War continues to heat up as Candace Liao’s SIMC with assistance from the Federated Suns fight against Romano’s CCAF and her TDF “allies.”  Heavy raids are common throughout the four contested commonalities (Sian, Capella, St Ives, and Victoria) as well as in the Capellan March on the Concordat Border.

The CCAF has occupied the industrial world of Detroit near the Magistracy of Canopus as well as the independent breadbasket worlds of Joppa and Herotitus giving the struggling Confederation a much needed boost.

Raids from the Draconis Combine to the Federated Suns become increasingly common with newer and more numerous DCMS Battlemechs regularly making an appearance.  Dozens of heavy raids and one attempted invasion are repulsed on Quentin although the offensive (OP: IRON DRAGON) almost leads to the capture of the Mech factories on planet which would have been a massive loss to the Federated Suns. 

The Sphere at Large
First Prince Hanse Davion’s investments in the AFFS continue to give the Federated Suns an edge but it becomes less of a sure thing in the wake of Theodore Kurita’s at times bloody reorganization of the DCMS.  The Federated Suns and Draconis Combine begin to narrow the technological gap courtesy of the Halstead Station Library and Helm Data Core, sharing and industrial espionage on the part of other successor states begin to rapidly reverse the decline in technology that characterized the last century.

The ComGuards begin their building process as COMSTAR hires small mercenary units on long cadre contracts. The Titan Warship Yards around Saturn begin reactivating as the James McKenna Yards around Kathil are being rebuilt by Hanse Davion.  Primus Myndo Waterly urges greater COMSTAR “guidance” in the Inner Sphere as the Blessed Order’s long successful OP: HOLY SHROUD begins unraveling.

Notable Characters
Leftenant Yvonne Davion is reassigned to the 25th Lexington Reserve Group (a battalion-sized sub-command of the Kestral CrMM) based out of Fort Ballycastle on Lexington from the 11th Avalon Hussars on Kesai IV after she attracted undue attention by the DCMS.  The Hussars still repulsed a trio of raids in force and executed two reprisal raids against the Galedon Prefecture. Several near misses force the First Prince’s hand and his daughter resents the coddling and acts out, much to the chagrin of her Commander. 

Count Tancred Sandoval is assigned as the Intelligence Secretariat’s Liaison to Lieutenant General Viviane Petty of the Kestral CrMM.  She coincidentally assigns him to the Lexington Station.  Yvonne Davion’s behavior immediately improves, much to the relief of her Commander.

General Roman Steiner, Duke of Steelton, is assigned General of the Armies by Archon Melissa Steiner and begins reorganizing the LCAF in the wake of continued DCMS raids on the Tamar and Skye Marches.

Corrine Marik begins training at the Allison Mechwarrior Institute on New Olympia.  Her chosen battlemech is the Wolverine 6M “Troubadour” used by her Grandaunt Sylvia Marik during the Third Succession War.

Emma Centrella ascends to Magestrix after a coup that sees her mother Kyalla Centrella institutionalized
Duchess Catherine Humphreys, the Free Worlds League’s “Rogue Duchess” dies in prison of a heart attack.

Kapitán Uriel Vesely ("UV-4") goes AWOL from the 1st Atrean Dragoons with his Orion 3 "Black Eagle" heading toward Kalisdasa on the Commonwealth-League border.

Captain Ian Davion and his guard unit head out from Tharkad on a tour to visit Solaris VII and the Commonwealth-League border aboard the Union-V Valor.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 17 July 2018, 12:38:07 »
You were very good and I definitely appreciate you post padding my thread.  I was thinking Tormano as the intended target.  Either sister could have been the person ordering the hit as both have reasons (Romano is nuts and Tormano knows that but prefers to take his chances in the Commonwealth far away from Candace as well).  Sisters are just nasty like that. 
I was close, but that only counts in Nukes

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 18 July 2018, 00:55:06 »
You say that like you don't know who was the target? I didn't go with him because he was the obvious target. So if Candice is trying to off her brother then there must be multiple points of variance from the prime universe

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 18 July 2018, 10:08:43 »
You say that like you don't know who was the target? I didn't go with him because he was the obvious target. So if Candice is trying to off her brother then there must be multiple points of variance from the prime universe

There definitely is some variance, The St Ives/Confederation War being a three way family power struggle, Tormano has his own ambitions like he always does but with Candace being a traitor and Romano being nuts I think that conflict make for a more interesting arrangement than Hanse Davion just beating everyone all the time.  At the same time though killing the Bradford, Melissa, Ian, or Katrina would accomplish the goals of at least one of the involved factions as well.  Thus it is one of those what-ifs that works.

-----------
Chapter 6 – Black Eagle
10/07/3040 08:11 Starlight House, Solaris City, Solaris VII, Lyran Commonwealth

The elegant Starlight House was perched atop one of the Black Hills that this district of Solaris City was named after.  The Back 9 of the Running Fox Country club ran between it and the garish Green Mansion.  The first group of golfers were teeing off after enjoying a formal breakfast at the Country Club.  The House’s veranda was currently occupied by three men eating and staff delivering the breakfast they had requested.  They were too far up hill for the golf course to be a hazard. 

“Mr Bao, how do you deal with that mess across the way?” Bishop said between bites of his omelet.

Tran Ky Bao’s tone was dripping with distain, “If I planted something to block Drew’s ugly house. I wouldn’t get to watch the sunrise on beautiful days like today.  I will give him this small victory but continue to best him at every other opportunity.  Fool man doesn’t like the fact that a Capellan keeps besting his Stable.  Starlight’s Gladiators have gone from 14th to 3rd place in the official rankings under my management.  Blackstar’s have dropped from 8th to 12nd in the same time under his.”

Ian finished his coffee and got up ready to head out for the day’s business, “Bishop, didn’t Drew work with Morgan some time ago?”

Bishop followed also finishing his drink followed by the stable-master, “Yes, if I remember correctly. I think your cousin met Kym on Solaris while on some assignment with Redburn.  So Drew probably had him as a guest to make himself feel more important than he was.”

“Speaking of guests, thank you for hosting us Mr Bao.”

Tran Ky Bao bowed deeply, Bishop and Ian less so, “It is my great privilege to offer my humble home to you Prince Ian.  If you require anything else on Solaris I will of course be willing to help.”

“Merely directions right now.  Your offer of a car was certainly appreciated.  We unfortunately couldn’t fit one on the Valor for our groundside excursions. I don’t think the Solaris Police would appreciate us using our Battlemechs to get around.  The Chauffeur was too much though, I will forget how to drive if everyone keeps putting me in the back seat like they have been for a year.”
“Of course Ian, enjoy the rest of your day.  I have business to attend to. Will you both be eating dinner here tonight?”
“I believe we are at the Sesame Inn tonight. Right Bishop?”
“Yes sir.”
“Make sure both of you are careful in Cathay.  People there are just as divided as the Capellan people these days and just as violent.”

17:28 Location – Brit’s, Montenegro District

The Montengro district was a burned out industrial space, endless gray from the street to the sky.  The Factory Arena loomed in the background, once a major Battlemech factory now it deconstructed mechs instead of assembling.  The smoke stacks of the even worse off Xolara slums drifted in when the winds changed filling the area with an acrid stench. 

A handsome young man with black hair, a leather vest, and an eagle tattoo on his right bicep pulled up to a well-worn bar with no sign and tinted windows, raucous music could be heard outside.  He was riding a black TMW Tiger motorcycle, outside a group of men were smoking and ogled the machine. 

The man dismounted his bike near the others though his was the nicest, walking up to the man that seemed to be in charge.  He lit his own cigarette from a Zippo with the 1st Atrean Hussars insignia on it, “This is Brit’s right?”
“Yeah, who’s asking?”
“Uriel Vesely, I’m looking for Dave.”
“You found him.”
“DW?”

David Weinstein looked at him curious not many people were quite so bold about looking for something, “Yeah, what do you need Mr Vesely? I’m a very busy man tonight.”
Uriel exhaled a cloud of smoke into the rapidly cooling air it drifted on the wind before dissipating, “I’m looking to start a fight.”
Dave made a chopping ‘no’ gesture, “Not in my bar you don’t.  I finish them quick in there.  Bad for business.  Who do you want to fight?”
“Someone big.”
“Well you’ve come to wrong place. I’m not a gladiator matchmaker.  You want to fight someone, you go to Anton von Tripp.”

The young man responded with an arrogant tone, “Do i look like a Gladiator?  I'm after someone bigger than that.”
“What are you a Merc going after the Bertolis? Cause I don’t do that kind of matchmaking neither.”

Uriel finished his cigarette flicking the filter to the ground and grinding it out with his boot, “Not a Merc. Don’t care about gangsters either.”

“Quit wasting my time kid.  You tell me what you are up to right now! Or my boys are going to take your fancy bike after kicking your ass.”  The other men produced clubs they had hidden under their jackets. A few seemed to be packing something more based on what Uriel saw.

“That won’t be necessary Gentlemen.”  Uriel unzipped his leather vest slowly showing the standard issue FLWM Hawk Eagle pistol in its shoulder holster.  He carefully reached in causing some of the guys to start moving towards him before pulling out the latest issue of Mechjack Magazine with Prince Ian Davion’s face on it.  The central story was an interview conducted on Tharkad before the Prince left toward the Free Worlds League border.  “Seen this guy around?”

David motioned for his guys to their weapons down, suddenly very interested, “Why don’t we step inside kid.  I might be able to help.  You thirsty?”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 19 September 2018, 09:27:58 »
Solaris VII Promotional Poster

Golden Lion vs Black Eagle

Illustration shows a Rostock Canyon Lion with its auburn coat and mane, golden teeth bared facing up toward an Atreus Fighting Eagle, whose purple feather accents are heightened talons outstretched, striking from above

Prince on Prince, Pay per view live across Channel S7 come October 13th

10/13/3040 07:41 Location – The Jungle Class 6 Arena, Cathay, Solaris VII

Tran Ky Bao sat next to Major Bishop Sortek in box seats acquired via trade with his Capellan contacts.  Bishop had donned a slightly more subdued green AFFS uniform, this was a Liao stadium. Solaris was supposed to be neutral ground but the Confederation still tried to make his life difficult.  He would return the favor whenever he got back to New Avalon.  The St Ives Compact native blended in more with his robes and features thus was less hassled even though his home was a rogue province.

“Ian will be fine Major.  At least its controlled carnage, better here than on a border raid with the Combine.  That didn’t work out so well for his predecessor.”

“Ian only has two combat missions under his belt.  Now he's facing Photon Brett-Marik, who has four years of active combat experience during the latest Marik Civil War while under the guidance of his now deceased second cousin who had a damn fine military mind and who's Mech he now pilots.

I can’t believe he took the challenge.  Ian’s too much like his uncle for his own good.”

“Regardless he’s in it now.  Let’s see if he remembered anything from Albion or the Dragoons.  The whole Inner Sphere is watching.”

The two of them looked at the view screen above the arena where the red and gold Golden Lion, and purple and black Black Eagle, were raised from their ready stations to the fetid jungle.

Ian watched as his Marauder was slowly lifted into the humid subtropical Arena.  He could see the greenhouse roof above and the slope of the pyramid where live audiences watched through narrow bands in the armored wall. 

Golden Lion was not going to like this Arena, it was already a heat hog but so was Photon’s Orion.  This was going to be an ugly match, at least they were equally weighted, the bookies said it was a toss up which was a relief as Ian had no idea of Photon's combat experience before accepting the challenge.

Ian could almost feel the sticky hot air and was glad that he packed the cooling shorts along with the vest.  The headband of his new D38 Neurohelmet was already slick with nervous sweat and that was with the cockpit at ambient temperature.   

The experience just felt so surreal.  To be face to face with a wall of green fighting a Mech battle with the cousin of his potential bride to be.  Bishop told him not to do it but that never stopped him before.  He couldn’t just turn down a challenge and hide from combat that was not the Davion way.

Hopefully the Mariks wouldn’t make a habit of it, he had more important things to worry about then family feuds.  Even if that was the order of the day when it came to the Free Worlds League's ruling dynasty.

He felt the lift stop his mech was still locked out by the Arena’s Controller judging by the bright red display on his HUD.  The bars that were securing the elevator were pulled back into the ground.

A slightly accented voice came in over the comm-link, “Combatant are you ready?”
Ian checked himself and his mech running through the standard pre-deployment checklist by memory, “Affirmative.”
“Stand by for manual transfer. Three, Two, One”

The Arena controller released the Battlemech to him and the bright red letters disappeared from his HUD.  The Marauder stepped forth and pushed its way into the darkened canopy of The Jungle in search of his target.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #71 on: 19 September 2018, 10:51:23 »
Been waiting for this to start back up.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 20 September 2018, 05:12:25 »
Photon Brett-Marik used his Orion’s hands to part the jungle in the Arena. The current generation of Orions were different than those of star league vintage in that they actually had hand actuators. A radical addition to the old chassis that greatly improved the machine’s close combat capabilities and widened it's mission portfolio. 

The Jungle was not his first choice for venue but the Cathay Games Commission was eager to see the Confederation’s two greatest enemies duke it out with one another and offered it free of charge to the combatants.  It was just so much sweeter that both were Princes of their respective factions.  Photon was on the short list as heir apparent after his uncles but ahead of his cousins (Ana 6, Janos 5, and Corrine 17) however neither uncle confirmed it, holding their cards close from their elder nephew. 

If Thomas had stayed dead there was already a plan in place to deal with Paul, but his uncle has miraculously recovered from the bomb that killed Janos and Duggan Marik and was voted in as Captain-General.  As long as the details of Photon’s time serving under his 2nd cousin Duncan as Uriel Vesely stayed secret he would remain a golden son with his mother continuing to champion his appointment as heir-apparent. 

However, if that came out it would ruin his chances and might cause him to end up like his other uncles Gerald and Anton, executed for treason. 

Thus he was here instead attempting to foil their current plan, his uncle Paul had been in conversations with the Federated Suns for years now concerning a match between his cousin Corrine and Prince Ian.  He couldn’t let that happen.  It would completely ruin his chance to be anything other than what he was now. The Federated Suns was pushing some of the provinces the wrong way and he intended to use that discord to reach the top.

There were no signs of the Marauder that he was searching for and that was frustrating.  He thought the enemy could be stalking behind him at this very moment.  The man had survived the brutal campaign against Andurien Succession and was as wary of Liao or Steiner treachery as he was of his Davion opponent.

His Mech’s sensors were limited by the vegetation which meant surprises would be assured.  He backtracked and continued pushing into a glade.

Ian Davion was on edge in a glade when the sensors detected an unknown contact off the four o’clock.  The Marauder turned and saw a purple and black Orion pushing past a tree roughly 200 meters away.  “You’re mine now Mari.”

He fired everything at the lumbering mech and hit with one of his PPCs and a large laser, the energy weapons turned the glossy paint into char as slagged armor steamed all the way to the grass.  His Mech’s internal temperature spiked as it attempted to cool the heavy weapons.  Ian could hear the fans in his cockpit increase in pitch as they attempted to keep him at a livable temperature even as he felt the floor warm from the radiant heat of the power plant below.

The Orion returned fire, its medium autocannon, large laser, and a dozen missiles hit rocking the Marauder, threatening to unbalance Ian, and destroying the carefully kept paint job as charred and shattered armor clattered to the spongy ground below.  Ian’s sweat dripped down his arms and onto the control sticks, rivulets vaporizing on the metal floor, “Vince is going to be pissed.”

Ian’s mech was slowed as the myomer refused to operate at peak efficiency due to the heat.  He backpedaled toward the jungle attempting to keep an open distance between the enemy and his mech.  An Orion was already a fearsome combatant but even more so at close range where the Marauder’s barrel like arms were not as good. 

According to the reports Photon was a brawler both in and out of Battlemechs thus he wanted to close and they were already too close for Ian’s comfort.  Ian again regretted not borrowing Bishop’s Penetrator.

Photon’s Orion menaced toward the Marauder, firing its arm mounted lasers, medium autocannon, and large laser at close range.  The coherent light and high explosives crashed into Ian’s mech, again threatening to topple him.  Catching itself with a timely arm post the Marauder stabilized, steam erupted as the white hot barrel touched the warm humid grass already cooking from his overloaded leg mounted heat sinks. 

“I have not even seen your cousin yet man, get over yourself.  You think I wanted this sort of thing to happen?”

The particle cannons of the Marauder found their targets and staggered the heavy Battlemech enough that its pilot needed to take a moment to regain his balance.  Ian’s mech was still critical on heat, he could feel every joule of waste from the thermonuclear core below him.  It was a necessary sacrifice to gain a momentary advantage.  Soon his arms would be used for an alternate purpose then firing supercharged particles half a kilometer away.

The Marauder backpedaled into the nearby undergrowth but the Orion was quick behind, the Marik mech was blackened in places but it was still in good condition.  There was little chance it was going down soon while his Marauder was getting torn up and with the enemy at such a close range the PPC’s field inhibitors would make firing his main weapons all but impossible. 

He needed to give the system time to cool down anyway but having an Orion in your face made every second count, at least this wasn’t the feared 2M (“aka the Male”) version with a 203mm Autocannon and lasers (LL, 2 ML) but no missile rack (as opposed to the 3M or Female version with a larger missile rack and lasers).  This was the more balanced 3B although it was still capable of more damage than his Marauder at most ranges.  Ian fired his large laser and hit the Orion square in the center of mass melting more armor from the already charred section.

The Orion returned fire with its own laser cutting deep into the Marauder’s weak leg armor before attempting to punch with its heavy battle-fists.  Ian switched the input to the data-gloves and managed to deflect the punches but the Marauder’s arms took a beating in the process. 

“Can’t keep that up.  Not going to have an arm left to defend myself when this is all done. 

Gotta come up with something good or get lucky.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 14 May 2019, 16:51:20 »
Prince Ian was getting warm his DI computer was warning him that it heat exhaustion would soon set in unless he cooled down  It wouldn't stop him from pushing the envelope but it was nice that Golden Lion was looking out for him.  Ian Davion opened a set of covered switches in his cockpit, turning each of the toggle switches and overriding the caution message.  “Time to disengage the PPC's field inhibitors.  Sorry Leo these are desperate times.” 

His tech Vance monitoring the telemetry of the unit from the control room attempted to open a channel to him, “And this is gonna hurt me too, a lot.  But I'll probably live.”

Photon Brett-Marik watched the Davion Prince that he had trapped against the Liao jungle.  His raven black hair was just a little damp from the jungle heat but Black Eagle's wasn't taxed in this match.  Its battlefists were ready to crush his foe in a perfectly controlled and legal way.  “Idiot.  All it takes is one mistake to end your reign before it even starts.”

The azure blue gathering at the ends of the Marauder's Magna Hellstar PPCs was brighter than normal.  At point blank range they were certain to explode from the feedback.  “You crazy bastard, you didn't.  You are only going to get one shot.  Don't miss.”

The impact of the Marauder's full weapon strike punched through the armor of his Orion 3B and found the half magazine of autocannon shells and missile racks.  The volatile ammunition detonated and blew the Orion apart, its limbs were thrown to the four corners of The Jungle the flaming wreckage was extinguished in the humid air within the biodome.  The Marauder's PPCs went critical from the feedback and detonated.  Most of the damage was contained within the Marauder but the arms shattered causing shrapnel to embed itself in the softwood trees.  The residual feedback, overheat, and blast caused Ian to black out in his cockpit.  Photon's ejection seat took his unconscious form high above the jungle landing ninety meters from the collapsed mech and parts of another one.

Within the S7 Central Broadcast studios the live commentators and their crowds were hushed but began clapping within moments.  One of them a young alt woman with a tattoo climbing up her neck and just enough cleavage from her top.  “What a fight!  Short, sweet, and to the explosive point.  So who wins Ron?”

A black man with dreadlocks in his early 30s had his comm-pad out scrolling through the tablet, “Well according to the chatter;  I think Ian wins cause he still has most of mech left and is still in it.  Black Eagle is a total loss.  Photon is going to be going back to mama Therese empty handed.”
“But not with blood on his hands so mixed blessing.  Lets see if he is still alive.  The Jungle's Director has not given us new telemetry data yet, Golden Lion's particle feedback might have wrecked their sensors.  Lets zoom in on the rescue crews.”

Orange uniformed medics exited the blaring chartreuse Simca ambulance.  Two of them went to Photon's chair and another two were attempting to gain entry to the cockpit of Golden Lion.  Two medics had thumbs up and were moving the stunned Mechwarriors onto stretchers.

“Alright no kills but a great show from the Jungle today.  Sorry pay-per-view people but it was by the minute.  Keep turned to channel Sigma Seven for more exciting live matches or pre-recorded action. 
I think a King of Hill match is about to start in the Barrens.
Laura Vera here from Solaris Seven.  We will be back with more commentary in five minutes after a word from Blue Shot Weapons.”

10/15/3040 20:47 Location – Starlight House, Black Hills, Solaris VII

Ian woke with the worst headache since his graduation from Albion Military Academy more than seven years ago in his twenty five.  The window in his room was open and a cool fragrant breeze was blowing in from the curtains.  He attempted to stand but as soon as he put his feet on the floor he stumbled but broke the fall as he had trained multiple times on the mat at Albion.  “What the hell?” 
He rolled over and rocked to his knees holding his head straight.  “Severe feedback fatigue.  Going to be a rough month of recovery.  Still better than dead.  Bishop!

Major Bishop Sortek opened the door it was a great sight for the floorbound Ian.  The man leaned over and picked him up to his feet.  “I didn't kill him did I?”
“No but you did dispossess him, at least for a little while.  The Duchess' people came to collect him, though too late to stop it from happening and apologized.  He's going to have to answer to Duchess Therese over his recent behavior.”

The elder Marik was know to be a tough woman, Ian eventually found his way to the bathroom. “I should have killed him.”
“Let's hope you don't get the chance Ian.  Vance is beyond livid about how you broke 'his' work of art.”

Finishing his business he noticed that the toilet paper was used up. “I'll deal with him in the morning.  Hey.ah Bishop can you grab some teepee for me?”

Major Sortek tapped on the door, “Yes Sire,
Yeah sure Bishop its a great opportunity.  Serve the Prince. 
Keep him alive, make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. 
Artie, you owe me big for this.”

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 16 May 2019, 14:13:29 »
Hooray - Prince Ian lives  ;D

Thank you the update  :thumbsup:

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 16 May 2019, 14:16:42 »
I get the district impression we are missing something politically

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 16 May 2019, 19:18:57 »
I get the district impression we are missing something politically

Yeah shenanigans are afoot as usual in the Inner Sphere.

--------

10/17/3040 Location – Starlight House, Black Hills, Solaris VII
Hanse Davion's hologram played on the top end DE-18k projector in the Starlight room.  “Ian, that was a really dumb thing that you did last week.  You almost caused a major interstellar incident and gave me a heart attack with that final bit. 

I'm serious too, fortunately your mother was there with me. The doctor said it was good that it was only a little one.  That coronary could have been way worse if we didn't get to the clinic.”

Hanse lifted a plastic container filled with a colorful pulpy liquid.  “Going to have to change some things and take better care of myself.  Unfortunately that means I have to drink these awful smoothies every day and can never eat bacon or red meat again.

By the way your mother is furious with you; I had to stop her from getting on a jumpship to Lyran space to drag you back by your ears just this morning.  Expect a scathing rebuke once she calms down.

My opinion you made it look good; I appreciate the swagger but not the sensationalism.  There are going to be consequences for your behavior.  Golden Lion is going to have to be fixed at your sole expense.

You broke it you fix it.
Fox Out.”

The hologram disappeared and the lights returned to normal.  Ian saw Bishop sitting across from him.  “That could have been way worse Ian.  I suppose its a mixed blessing, hope your father doesn't have a repeat incident.”

Ian and Bishop were both dressed in normal clothes they had to stop public appearances to actually get anything done.  'Golden Lion vs Black Eagle' was the top selling holovid on the COMMNET since Jusin Allard piloted Legend Killer.  Everyone knew who Ian was now which was good and bad, the Commonwealth appreciated the celebrity while the League was impressed with his boldness.  “Me too Bishop.  Glad I could help him catch it early I guess.  I am trepidatious about seeing Golden Lion again.”

“You did a real number on it that's for sure.  Vance is very unhappy but fixing that mech is his job.  Choosing what to do with it is yours.  You just need to choose your enemies wiser.”

Ian stood up and began to walk toward the garage Bishop beside him as he was still shaky from FF, “What?  I didn't know who he was initially.”

“A great reason to not to get in a deathmatch with him.  He wasn't worth it.”

“I don't know about that Bishop.  It worked out in the end right?”

Bishop drove them out of the Starlight House past a crowd of onlookers gathered outside the walls.  Some women flashed the car but all of them were shouting.  “I don't know about that.  Too much of this attention is not great for our mission.”

“Corrie might have a cardboard standee of me in her room right now.  Just waiting for the real thing.”

“I doubt AMI would let that happen.  If she has a cardboard anything it is probably a target.”

“Why do you have to say it like that?”

A police patrol vehicle gave them an escort through the Black Hills to New Avalon Technologies.  The expansive building was warded by a tall perimeter fence and a contingent of armed guards including Copper securitymechs as well as top tier surveillance technology.  The gate guards waved the pair through before closing the gate behind them.  Bishop followed the markings on the side of the building and parked the car outside one of the Mech Bays where a GM Edge sport motorcycle and EM Envy SUV was parked.  “Alright we're here Ian.”

“Good thing Tran is here too.  I need to talk to him.”

“I'm going to talk with Vance real quick.  He's been determining what we need to do to get Golden Lion back online.  When you're done change and meet me in there.”

Bishop walked past a group of Mechtechs on a smoke break and they gave him some direction which he followed.  Ian noted where he went and then walked into the smaller windowed door in the side of the building carrying a bag with his utility clothing inside.  The receptionist told him where Tran Ky Bao was and pointed him in the right direction. 

The building was a standard commercial type, cheap carpet, stale coffee, and poor light.  Ian walked past small offices with many different agents providing legal, technical, and business service as well as stablemasters and merc commanders recruiting new warriors inside.  He stopped at a small suite of offices, the boilerplate 'Starlight Stables, Talent Manager Tran Ky Bao.' was written on the glass in sparkling gold print.

Ian opened the door and was greeted by the receptionist, a pretty woman of Southeast Asian ancestry wearing a yellow floral printed Ao dai and speaking with a musical voice, “Bonjour Prince Ian.”

“Bonjour Mademoiselle, Je m'excuse mon francaise est rouille, trop allemand”

“I can use standard too though it doesn't sound as pretty.”

“That is quite fine.  If I didn't have Bishop and the others I doubt I would hear my native tongue quite as much.”

The receptionist stood up and pointed, “Mr Bao is waiting for you.  His office is down this hall, 2nd door on the right.  Would you like coffee?”
“Yes thank you, Miss?”
“Sao Lei”
“Thank you Miss Sao Lei.  May I leave my bag here?”

Sao bowed gently, “Certainly.  You are very welcome Prince Ian.  I will bring the coffee in a few moments.”
Ian walked down the hall and found Tran's door open, he entered the room and closed the door behind him.  The Stablemaster stood and smiled at him, “Welcome to my offices Ian.  I figured you would stop by.  Please sit.”

Ian obliged the offer sitting in the comfortably upholstered chair, “What can I do for you?”
“You have been a very generous host Mister Bao.  I do however have a sudden need for funds.”
“Golden Lion is in bad shape I understand.  You are rich why do you need my help?”
“Well my father has decided to punish me by making me pay to fix Golden Lion.”
“It will be expensive.  I am quite willing to help of course as a proud citizen of the St Ives Compact.”
“Now as I understand it my Freelancer contract comes with a royalties clause.”

Tran Ky Bao pulled up the contract brief on his computer, “Yes and a generous one at that courtesy of my negotiator.  You winning also helped my bookkeepers.  Liao loyalists bet heavily against you and filled my pockets in the process.”

“Serves them right.  I would like you to transfer it to you with some terms.”

“That is a very kind offer Prince Ian.  Certainly worth more than the repairs for your Marauder.  What else do you need the money for?”

“I would like a certain residual fund outside of the Ministry of Ways and Means.  Possibly in the SICB (St Ives Central Bank).”

“For what?”

“Incidentals.”

Tran peaked his fingers in interest.  “I understand.  We can certainly make that happen and no one needs to know but us and well Sao Lei.”

He picked up the phone and asked his receptionist to bring him the report he just printed with the coffee.  The woman appeared a few minutes later and Ian signed the paper to make Tran Ky Bao the custodian of a trust in his name with a generous retainer fee.  “I will send this out to my associates via bonded courier.  No need for COMSTAR to know about our arrangement.”
“I appreciate it.  Say I have another request Tran.  Do you know a Doctor David Vining, Ex NAIS?”
“Yes, he runs a small salvage operation in Xolara.  Why?”
“Can you contact him for me?  I have a contract for him if he is interested.”
“Certainly Ian, I will ask him to stop by NAT.  Is that all?”
“Thus far yes.  Thank you Mister Bao.  My adventures in Solaris would not have been possible without your assistance.”
“Hardly reassuring considering you almost died in your first month despite both me and Bishop looking out for you.  I would not like to receive any message from your father assigning me any credit.  Enjoy your sweat equity Ian.”

Ian finished his coffee, said goodbye to Sao Lei, and changed into his utility clothes for his likely extended shift assisting Vance in fixing Golden Lion.  As he entered the Mechbay he saw what was left of Golden Lion being held up next to “Jumping Jack,” Bishop's pristine Penetrator.  Both of the arms were gone and the torsos were heavily damaged by the PPC capacitors, the remaining armor had been stripped out to allow easier access to the unit's internal space.  The myomer musculature of the mech made it look almost biological but it was clearly a machine.  Wire on spools and a Myomer repair unit were located on large dollys.  When Vance saw him he almost rushed Ian but was held back by Bishop. 
“You dumbass.  You broke the whole damn thing.  I have to rewire everything in this stupid machine because you burned the whole electrical system!”

“At least we won't be bored Vance.”

“You won't be bored.  No, I'm making you go in the hole to fix the linkages in Golden Lion's armpits.  First I need to get some arms though.”

“This is Solaris we can find parts.”

“Yeah old ass or broken ones that need refurbishing.”

“Well this Marauder could have probably used a tear down and refurbishment.  It's nearly a hundred years old, spent the last fifty in mothballs.”

“Yeah but I need a whole depot crew to fix this thing by the end of the year.”

“We can find some.  I already have a lead.”

“Who are we going to trust to fix the First Prince's mech on this planet.”

“Someone Doctor Banzai said was a genius.  I have some alterations in mind for Golden Lion to bring it into the Thirty First century.”

“What do you mean?”

Ian looked at the large laser that was now the only weapon still active on the broken Marauder.  He opened his engineering computer to a top secret NAIS prototype version to improve on the venerable weapon with newly recovered technologies from the Helm Memory Core.  A major gift that he was intending to offer to the laser loving Mariks in order to demonstrate the value of an alliance with the Federated Suns.  Now he would get an actual working copy which was one of his reasons to come to Solaris in the beginning.  “Take a look at this Vance and tell me what you think.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 16 May 2019, 21:20:01 »
Chapter 7 - Building for the Future
10/20/3040 Location – New Avalon, Federated Suns

First Prince Hanse and his wife Dana Davion(-Stephenson) walked through the immaculate gardens of Castle Davion.  His health scare was still not going to stop him from visiting his son Andrew on Galax.  There would just be another doctor present on his personal dropship.

The First Prince stormed across the cool stone path attempting to sooth his inner turmoil, his red hair swaying in an autumn breeze.  “I don't like this Dana.  Cornelia (Precentor New Avalon) has to be in on it.  We would have known before this (Ian's Solaris Match) happened it was all over the net but not on New Avalon.”

Dana was harried to catch up to Hanse having a much shorter stride as he stormed about, strands of her chestnut brown hair fell out of the green wool hat she was wearing.  “Dear, you are putting to much stress on yourself and its bad for your heart.  You should calm down, step back, and let your deputies take on greater responsibilities.  Quintus' people can handle ROM.”

“FLUSH is my baby.  It has been going on for years but we can't stop COMSTAR, each agent we find is replaced almost immediately.  They own the HPGs and hear everything.  We have to accept their ComGuards but that doesn't mean we can trust them. 

The Suns doesn't have the ability to handle an interdiction, the jump fleet is not big enough.  We need those League and Lyran ships if we are to go against the Order without ruining ourselves. 

Just getting Victoria almost caused a dozen Outback worlds to starve to death and drove twenty into full blown economic depressions because we needed the Jumpships.  Quintus is not getting any younger and Tancred shows promise but is not seasoned enough yet because he is with Yvonne.  I can't separate them without causing trouble. 

We can't even be certain the LIC is entirely on our side they have their own problems in Skye. 
Justin is helping up with the Mask agents but the Dracs are everywhere and raiding with greater vigor with mechs not seen in a hundred years.”

Dana grabbed his arm and restrained him holding firm despite her smaller size.  “We will be fine.  The Federated Suns has always had adversity but we grow stronger each time.  NAIS is a threat to COMSTAR.  We have already started to claw back lostech from the great void of history. Our alliance with the Commonwealth is as well as long as Melissa sees us as useful.

The hopefully impending marriage of Ian to Corrine will be the finishing touch.  They know it but they know they can't win a war against the Federated Suns...”
“Not yet at least you mean.”

She held him close it was cold out and they had been wandering the gardens for too long, “Not ever.  New Avalon will never fall to an enemy power.  Not while my Fox is in charge.”

Hanse embraced her and kissed her on the lips, “I appreciate the vote of confidence Dana.  You keep me going in the right direction.  Thank you.”

On the other side of the Inner Sphere on the planet Tamarind, Photon Brett-Marik looks up at the ongoing construction of the Technicron Manufacturing Jumpship Yard from the windows of the Painted Desert Estate.  His mother Duchess Therese Marik glared at him, his father Jeremy Brett was also present as was his brother Reginald both of whom were equally scalding. “What the hell were you thinking Pho?”

“I wanted to see if all the hype about Ian was deserved.”

“So you challenged a Prince of the Federated Suns to a potential deathmatch on Solaris because you wanted to see if he was a good Mechwarrior?”

“Yes.  He didn't have to take the challenge.”

“Bullshit!  You went AWOL with Duncan's mech because you wanted to prove something.  All you did was prove you are an ass and made things difficult for us.”

“Cause you care oh so much about my feelings mother.”

“Your feelings are unimportant to the status and standing of this family.  Which has been tarnished due to your reckless behavior.  What do you think would happen if you had won?  Were you expecting a grand parade on Atreus and a medal?”

“No.”

“Good because you would have gotten worse than being grounded; probably been on the other side of a bullet.  You can't go AWOL if you can't break orbit.  I'm going to keep a close eye on you from now on.” 

Therese put her hand to her chin in thought as she looked toward a picture from one of Tamarind's esteemed artists.  “You took and destroyed Duncan's mech that he left you so you are going to help raise his son.  A far more noble way to honor your cousin's legacy.”

“Do you really think that's the best idea mother?”

“I don't really care.  Carlos needs a father figure and you need something productive to do while you are stuck here.  If you don't do it, then you will be checked into the stockade instead.”

Tamarind's stockade was a legendary hell-hole set in an incredibly isolated and fiery stretch of the planet's vast deserts on the Dhofar continent atop a sand quarry only accessible via helicopter. “I accept.  I swear I will do better to atone for my errors.”

“I had hoped so.  Now be a good boy and get out of this house.  I have so much damage control to do with my brothers and questions for Precentor Kajidama.”

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #78 on: 17 May 2019, 17:07:31 »
Boys will be boys...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 18 May 2019, 11:16:30 »
Chapter 9 - Focht on the Rim
11/01/3040 Location – Canopus, Magistracy of Canopus

“Precentor Martial please follow me.”  Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht followed the flamboyantly dressed Canopian man through the perfumed halls of the Crimson Palace of Canopus.  His own white and gold uniform was crisp but scorching hot in the heat of the tropical city. 

The gray Zouve dressed Iron Hand of Raventhir guards watched them as they approached a large door their weapons held in front of them at the ready.  Two of them opened the door as they neared it and let the bright light of stained glass windows into the previous dark and warm corridor. 

Magestrix Emma Centrella reclined on a pillowed futon wearing a very revealing sari type garment.  A fan was blowing across her causing her honey brown hair to fly back from her face and keep her cool though you could see some sweat coming down her exotic and glamorous body just like an ancient queen in the holovids. 

She was currently being attended by six older women wearing crimson clothes, with a snap the women were dismissed and departed via doors along the back wings of the room.

Emma beckoned him forward causing a series of gold bangles to clink against one another.  Anastasius Focht walked forward and his escort walked backward into the door they just entered.  His boots clacked on the colorful mosaics which melded into the colored light of the stained glass windows propped open in the heat.  He stopped slightly forward the slightly raised platform roughly ten paces from the woman.  “So what brings Comstar's Precentor Martial in the flesh all the way to the rim and my humble little realm?”

“I am inspecting the new ComGuard formations in the Magistracy.  I understand that you pushed back on the Primus regarding our purely defensive formations.”

“Purely defensive”
she scoffed, “even a demi-company of your ComGuards could overpower most of my depleted world's defenses and I only accepted their continued existence under threat of extortion."

“But they won't and have standing orders to aid the planetary garrison as long as it doesn't endanger their core mission.  I apologize on the behalf of the Blessed Order, Precentor Canopus was out of line with his crass methods.  His removal and a change of top leadership; will I hope give us a clean slate.  Additionally I come bearing a gift for you to show that we are sincere.  May I approach?.”

Emma sat up and patted one of the pillows beside her, “You may sit beside me if you wish, or more.”

The gruff Focht slowly shook his head, “No, this is business.  I'm afraid I shall have to decline your hospitality.”

“All business and no fun.  Are you certain you are not a Steiner?”

The former Frederick Steiner was mildly insulted but he had spent the past ten years in a DCMS prison camp and had learned how to not show it.  “You prefer the Davions I hear.”

Magestrix Centrella stood straight up, “Damn right I do!  Romano Liao ordered that MAC to attack Canopus an attack that we barely repulsed.  Duchess Candace Liao and Lady Arano remain my most stalwart allies in an Inner Sphere filled with pretty words and petty politics.”

Focht remained calm during the fiery woman's rant, “Well I assure you that while this agreement is quite pretty it is sincere and Comstar continues to be dedicated to the bigger picture with no space for pettiness.”

Emma regained control and sat back down.  “Apologies Precentor Martial, that was improper to do to a distinguished guest though I am not certain how to properly quantify you.  Comstar has never had a Precentor Martial or such a large public military force, it is all quite new.”
Anastasius walked up to her and handed her a verigraph protected case.  “No worries Magestrix.  I am figuring it out myself.  There have been many changes and more to come.  It will be a difficult transition but hopefully a worthy one.  This has already been approved by Gamma branch.  The long forms were transmitted to the Delphi HPG yesterday from Terra.”

The Magestrix opened a small port on the case and put her thumb on the contact plate.  The case unlocked and disengaged the incendiary charge that would have destroyed its contacts in the event of a breach.  She looked through them intently while Focht spoke.  “With this preferential deal extended to Mindstar Entertainment you should be able to better service your mother's debts.  Additionally support for a MRB hiring hall on Hardcore, upgrading Canopus' HPG to an A class station, and more jumpship traffic should bring more business into your lap.”

Emma looked back at him, “With that rate I will be able to be free and clear in five years.  My lap.  How about yours?”

The Precentor Martial shook his head again, this woman was too much. “My lap shall remain unoccupied Magestrix Centrella.”

She gave a slightly disappointed sigh and pout, “If you insist.  However, if you change your mind I will be right here.  Are you certain there is nothing else that I can do for you?”

“No.  That is quite enough Magestrix.  I have business to attend to with Precentor Ribiero.”

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #80 on: 18 May 2019, 17:19:33 »
Ah Frederick...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 19 May 2019, 00:45:41 »
Following... quite amusing AU

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 19 May 2019, 17:52:39 »
Following... quite amusing AU

I appreciate it Tyler.  This one is much more light than my increasingly grimdark Katherine verse (which is waiting while I figure out exactly what I need to write)

Story.

12/08/3040 Location – Calderon Hall, Taurus, Taurian Concordat

Precentor Martial Anastasius Focht walked into a security checkpoint within the Taurian Concordat's executive mansion.  “Arms up Precentor Martial.”  The Concordat Marshal wanded him and Precentor Sikandar.  They cleared the checkpoint and were still following one of the clerks that worked in this building.

“The Protector is mighty paranoid Precentor Martial.  Third checkpoint we've had to walk through.”

“He thinks Quintus Allard is trying to kill him.”

“Personally?”

“No.  He's not quite that obsessed to think that the Head of MIIO would personally give him a visit.  Far to busy dealing with Seneca and Romano's Mask for that kind of endeavor.”

“Its not like it would get him anyhow.  The TDF can launch raids at the Victoria PDZ but can't overextended or take any advantage of a breakthrough due to a paucity of Jumpships.  So why are we dealing with him again?”

Anastasius whispered to Sikander, “The ComGuards wouldn't exist without the Concordat.  I can't talk about it but our Blessed Order is having to put our thumb on the scales to maintain balance in the Inner Sphere.  Hanse Davion is upsetting the equilibrium of the Inner Sphere and giving the Primus in particular fits.”

Focht and Cali continued walking through the narrow halls of Calderon Hall.  The dark wood lacked any decoration beyond portraits of several Protectors and illustrious Marshals.  Their guide departed and left them in front of the Protector's study.  The door opened and a member of the Far Lookers departed from the office.  The tall man walked proudly out his business suit crisp and classically styled, he identified as an Inheritor by his affiliation medallion.

“Blake's Blessings upon you Precentor Martial.”

“Upon you as well.  Who are you, sir?”

“I am Lord Gabriel Gaer of the Carthage Collective, though many call me Lord Ga-ga.  I sensed that you would come here soon when I set out from the rim.  All the signs point to the end for the Great Houses.  The inheritors would be willing to help Comstar put everything back together as it should be.”

“I thought all orders of the Far Lookers were on the Protector's bad side considering the massive upheaval and fraud of the past years.”

“True we have lost some of our standing but Lady Katherine is among my order's number.  The Inheritors were not involved with the investment malfeasance over the years.  We have continued to politically support Thomas' Protectorship at the expense of our standing among our peers in many cases.”

“Bold statement and yet a strong sign of integrity.  Perhaps we shall speak again Lord Gaga.”

“You have a standing invitation to Carthage should you ever wish Precentor Martial Focht.  Now I would not keep the Protector waiting he's gets unpleasant ideas if there is a delay.”

Gabriel departed and Cali opened the door for Anastasius before following behind.  Protector Thomas Calderon and his eldest son and heir-apparent 19 year old Jonah Calderon on world with his cadet class from the Concordat Aerospace Flight School currently doing a rotation at École Militaire.  Both men shared a strong resemblance dusky skin and curly black hair though Jonah was wearing a leather bomber jacket and only tangentially interested in what was going on.

“Protector of Taurus Thomas Calderon, Blake's Blessings upon you and your distinguished family.”

“I don't like the mystic or flowery talk.  I am not a Far Looker or that tart of a Magestrix that needs to be flattered.  We speak plainly here.  Why are you here Anastasius?”

“As I mentioned before I landed I am inspecting the ComGuard garrisons and speaking with the leaders of the Four Periphery Realms as one of my first tours as Precentor Martial, I have already rotated through the Alliance, Republic, and Magistracy.  We are also looking at partnerships to expand our number and provide better service to our loyal customers.  The Order and your Realm have had disagreements in the past.”

“Putting it lightly, We Taurians have a proud tradition of defying Terra's influence.  We are a self-reliant people.”

“Yes and I come bearing a few tokens from Terra that I hope will dismiss any concerns you have about our intentions with the HPGs in your territory; and increase that self-reliance.  We hope you will accept these boons as a down payment for partnership in our goals.”

“What do you want from the Concordat Precentor Martial?”

“I have several contracts for your industries to provide equipment for the ComGuards.  Additionally we would appreciate one of your worlds hosting a supply depot and another a naval repair yard for our people.  The Concordat is a far away from Terra and defense of our dispersed enclaves is an increasing priority in these uncertain times.  So it is not what we want from you but how can we serve your needs better Protector?  I have a few tokens of our sincerity from Terra for you if you would like to entertain them.”

“That sounds like a trick Precentor Martial.  When did Comstar become so gracious?”

“The Primus believes that new blood in the organization combined with a new outlook will bring us greater opportunities.  We are attempting a new fairer approach to business in light of that and I am authorized to provide a few gifts for the leaders of some Realms.”

Precentor Focht presented a verigraphed metal document case to the Precentor who looked at it for a moment before opening it and paging over the letters.  “You can't really expect that I would allow you to take two of my children to Terra with you for brainwashing?”

“We do not brainwash in Comstar Protector Calderon we enlighten.  Your son Felix has expressed interest in joining our Blessed Order already as you likely know.”

“My son is confused.”

Jonah who was only mildly paying attention cut in after taking a look at the documents, “Dad This may be the only chance Janice has to get better.  Precentor Martial Focht can Kappa Branch actually treat the Brisbane Virus?”

Anastasius Focht looked at the young man as paternally as possible.  He was concerned about his sister which was a noble thing and like he expected a perfect opportunity.  “While I am no expert in the medical field Cadet Calderon I have been assured that they will try.  A Dove is due to arrive on New Vandenberg with a crew from the Kappa branch partnered with the Luxen MSTC sometime in the coming months.  It might take time but she will have access to the best doctors in the Inner Sphere if she comes with me to Terra.”

Despite his son's intentions he didn't know enough about Terran perfidy yet for Thomas.  “It still doesn't explain why you need Felix.”

Focht focused on the Protector look intently as his prosthetic left eye.  It was an old and crude model far inferior to his own which had been recently installed to replace the one lost in his near suicidal attack on the Combine years ago.  That realistic prosthetic was concealed under an eyepatch but Frederick Steiner had adjusted to its absence and it was intimidating to common people.  “I am told that your son Felix is a bright boy and wishes to join Comstar since you have effectively dismantled the Far Lookers Explorer Branch due to their financial improprieties.  The process greatly upset his ambitions to map the stars.  The Comstar Explorer Corps facility at the University of Aphros around Venus would be happy to take him in and allow him to pursue his dreams. 

It would also allow Janice to have a friendly face to visit though I am certain she will find people at the London Royal Hospital while taking classes at the Royal University nearby.

Young man, what do you think about this?  They are your sister and brother as well.”

Jonah was shocked at being addressed directly; still growing into the role of Heir-apparent after his sister's recent incapacitation. He hadn't been asked for his opinion frequently yet due to his father's controlling and paranoid mentality.  Jonah faced his father, “I think that Janice and Felix would accept this opportunity if presented father.  Jeffery might be mildly upset but he is only fourteen he has time to find his own way.”

“Fine you go and tell them then Jonah.  The Precentor Martial and I have another point of business to attend.  I will catch up with you later.”

“Thank you Father.  It is not everyday Comstar comes bearing gifts.”
  The young man excused himself and exited the study to inform his siblings of their impending journey when Precentor Martial Focht began heading coreward in March.

With him gone the Protector looked down the room.  “Now concerning this technical exchange.  How do I know your Omega team will not take advantage of their sensitive access to S2IRP (Sterope Special Industrial Research Project)?”
“Cali please reassure the Protector that you are not a ROM spy.”

Precentor Omega VII Caligula Sikander's white cape swished as he stepped forward, “Well I am not certain I can prove I am not a ROM spy but I can prove that my team knows their stuff.  I know you are no engineering expert Thomas, but I am.  If you would take a look at this please.”

The Precentor handed the man a data-pad with engineering diagrams for tooling and components that would improve the Concordat's heavy industries.  “I think you will find that my access to your program is a risk worth taking.  My working group can do a lot for your people.  We already have some plans on the drawing board that might interest your people.”

Protector Thomas Calderon looked over the data and asked questions.  “Enjoy your stay in the Concordat Caligula.  Omega Group will keep in touch.  Lord Protector Thomas, I hope you will consider these as a down payment for a bright new future for your Realm.”

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 19 May 2019, 18:06:07 »
Why do I immediately get suspicious when someone named Caligula wants to help the TC. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 20 May 2019, 22:05:19 »
Why do I immediately get suspicious when someone named Caligula wants to help the TC. >:D

;D

--------

05/01/3041 05:58 Location – Hilton Head, Terra

The lights were on in Primus Myndo Waterly's quarters on the reclaimed island of Hilton Head now one of COMSTARs many glittering clusters that echoed the Golden Age of the Star League on humanity's home-world.  The Primus herself was on top of her Precentor Martial and vigorously rocking her hips as she straddled him. 

“You can't take an extended leave ever again Precentor Martial.  I won't allow it.”

She finished and he pushed her off him which resulted in her getting tied up in the sheets for a moment, “Madam Primus, the responsibilities of duty may require me to leave once more without your accompaniment.”

Myndo attempted to untangle herself but Anastasius held onto it, she didn't seem to mind. “And if I were to remove you from that duty and replace it with another?”

Focht released her, “I would be greatly displeased and your own pleasure might suffer as a result.  Do you really want that?”

The woman untangled herself and leaned on her elbow naked torso revealed, “You make a strong case Frederick.  I suppose I can allow it but not for a little while at least...Don't get too comfortable though I can always find another silver fox to satisfy me."

“An acceptable compromise Myndo.  I don't believe there is an urgent need for my presence elsewhere in the Inner Sphere at present so consider my talents at your service.”

“Good to have you back Precentor Martial.  You're back on your ranked duty in two hours.”

“Appreciate you giving the old man a breather Primus.  You'd just hate for him to have a heart attack in the presence of such a spirited lady.  Questions might be asked.”

Myndo got up from the bed and walked over to the bathroom, her upper body turned to him. “Doubtful.  No one asked about what happened to Julien before you.  Yes that reminds me I would like you to get that ticker of yours checked out at the clinic Precentor Martial.  I don't want you kicking out early after being away for so long.  I don't feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of you yet.”

“Of course Myndo.”
  He leaned forward and looked at his reflection in the mirror that caught the morning sun just right.  His torso was covered in scars from his time as a 'guest' of the DCMS on Algedi and long service in the LCAF prior.  His hair had just changed from blonde to gray but remained high and tight.  His blue cyber-eye was almost indistinguishable from its original yet he still covered it up, he rubbed his jaw still square despite all the abuse it suffered.  “That would be great tragedy for both of us.” 

He could hear the shower turn on and departed the room to the alternate one.  It felt dirty to sleep with his boss but she was just as passionate at that as she was in her ambitions for Comstar.  He also hadn't lost a step during his detention much to his own surprise.  Precentor Martial Focht washed, shaved, redressed, and ate breakfast in time for the morning briefing.

The Primus, Precentor Martial, and Precentor ROM Charles Seneca gathered in front of the sleek white plastic holotable each had recently been away from Terra on a special mission and had arrived on schedule as planned.  Charles Senaca, an entirely plain man of average build and thus a perfect spy was given the floor first

“Primus Waterly, Precentor Martial Focht.  As you know the Explorer Corps believe they have found one of the coreward supply depots used by the Wolf's Dragoons.  My men were dispatched to investigate and found this.”

He inserted a datacard into the reader and a projection of a derelict Warship and a pair of jumpships.  “This warship is one of the SLDF Volga line, it is marked CWS Provider.  The helium seals were broken and it looks like the Dragoons pulled everything of use off of it and purged its database.  Mu Branch is attempting to piece together the recovered data-core for anything related to its origin.  A Faslane from the Explorer Corps is en route to provide greater technical support and possibly salvage the derelict.”

Primus Waterly was enthralled by the poor state of the Volga transport, “They must have traveled a far distance in that piece of junk.  Amazing they got here with the few Warships they have in decent condition.”

Focht zoomed in a rotated the image, “Indeed, unfortunately we have not had to opportunity to see the Dragoon's warships engage any force in their time in the Inner Sphere.  I am thinking they might be paper tigers unlike our own.”  Another vessel, the Dante frigate White Wing, currently being assembled in the Titan Yards around Saturn replaced the derelict, “If not though the Dante, Faslane, and Carrack programs are underway once more according to Titan.”

Seneca looked toward him, “I still don't know about the Carrack's Precentor Martial.  Its just a simple transport.”

“Precisely and it shall draw little attention to itself because of that. Our ComGuards greatest advantage is our strategic mobility Charles.  Comstar controls the largest Jumpship fleet in the Inner Sphere but we are widely dispersed and these vessels are vulnerable to the Successor States growing Aerospace Corps.  The Carrack transports will be able to dissuade any aggression on our troops even without a Dante. 

With the potential ceasefire between the Commonwealth, League, and Suns we may have to go through heavy aerospace defenses in order to make planetfall should it prove necessary.  Hanse Davion has begun making major investments in the old McKenna Yards around Galax, Melissa Steiner is renovating Alarion's Port Sydney Yards, and Thomas Marik is using the Helm Core data to update the Technicron ones above Tamarind. 

If they can restart limited Warship production in the next twenty years we must be prepared, we have a head start but are not within sight of the finish line yet.  Holy Shroud has held them back this long but it is not doing so anymore.”

Primus Waterly looked at the two of them, “And what of all the mothballed ships at Luyten, Odessa, and Ross.”

Focht stood tall against his successor, the slight man was cowed by the still vital Warrior before him but it wouldn't last forever, he was a wily creature and if he sensed weakness he might attempt to take the Precentor Martialship.  “I had inspected them personally with members of the Order of Valkyries and Omega Research Group when I was Precentor ROM.  The Chief Architect at the Titan Yards doesn't think we can bring any of them out of mothballs at a reasonable cost or timetable.”

Precentor ROM Senaca cut in annoyed at the rude interruption, “We can however use them as parts for new construction, such a thing should reduce the cost of each new vessel to a more reasonable unit price that the Phi Branch can stomach.  It will require additional Faslanes however to speed along the process for the larger vessels and a massive recruitment effort in the technical groups for crew and labor. 

We might be able to poach some of the engineers working on the Houses' programs to begin it in earnest.  Once we start it will be difficult to stop without decay however Primus.  Already Primus York's original laborers from the first Dante build in the Titan Yards had to be brought in to train their replacements.  It will take time for the White Wing to be complete although it was partially finished before funding ran out.”

“Time we may not have.  Nevertheless well said Precentor Seneca. 

I am hesitant to invest so much treasure into the Warship program.  If we are discovered it would cause a major arms race that I don't think we could win while we are honoring our agreement with Theodore, Thomas, and Haakon. 

The Draconis Combine, Taurian Concordat, and Free Rasalhague Republic are all in dire need of investment from our Blessed Order and despite our recent windfalls these things need to be properly resourced.”

Charles looked toward the former Combine citizen Myndo, who had received high praise from the Dragon's covert service before she jointed Comstar to protest something they did poorly to a friend. “Did you manage to secure Minoru Kurita for the Order Primus?”

The woman pulled up a 3d picture of her Theodore, the 10 year old Minoru, and his older sister Omiko on Dieron.  “Yes, Theodore reluctantly supports his son's voluntary admission to our Order as a price for our continued support.  The boy is still very young but will take up residence in Fortress Dieron until his transfer here for further training and orientation.  I am told that Krupt, Martinson, and Skoebel will begin their tech transfers when that begins but in the meantime are providing spares to refurbish our White Army while supplying surplus goods at a steep discount to the Dragon.”

“Thomas Calderon's son Felix has also joined our Order, he is currently being oriented on Aphros Station as a member of the Explorer Corps.  His daughter Janice is in London receiving treatment for her Brisbane Virus.  Thomas will be easier to control now that we have two of his children under our care.  Not that we have to do much beside point him at Hanse Davion and let him fly into a paranoid rage but it helps if he thinks we are on his side.”

“So there is no intention to treat Janice Calderon in London?”

“No, we will treat the young woman and her fellow afflicted to our highest ability because Kappa Group needs to get practice dealing with these kinds of issues if we are to expand our offerings and network at the HPG Stations.”

“I suppose it will cost less than a new Battlemech so there is little trouble there.”

Precentor Martial Focht stood up, “Speaking of which I am due to head to the Mountains of Madness in an hour and would like to get ready.  If there are further lines of conversation I will be happy to continue our talk from my shuttle.”

Myndo stood up as well and faced him, “Please don't allow our chatter to interfere with your responsibilities elsewhere.  You are dismissed, Blake's Blessings upon you.  I would just like to speak with Precentor Seneca about our uninvited guests, The Wolf's Dragoons more.”

“Very well, Primus, Precentor ROM.  See you both at a later time.”

The desolate and snow covered plains of Terra's Queen Mab Mountains on Antarctica greeted Precentor Martial Focht as he departed in a heated snow creeper.  The bitter cold and darkness were offset but the fusion reactors and task lighting of the ComGuards Southern Storage and Refurbishment Depot, aka The Mountains of Madness.  The buggy rode into the sealed and heated garage joining dozens of similar vehicles.  The Precentor Martial and his aides stepped out in their bright orange high visibility coats with inner heating coils.  A middle aged man wearing the ComGuards Zeta Precentor patch on his shoulder with XII. “Right this way Precentor Martial.”

Focht followed the man through the winding passages to a large hanger dug into the deep rock of the range.  Before him were rows upon rows of damaged Battlemechs and Tanks left behind by Kerensky during his Exodus.  All were stripped down to their white primer coat and the front row had technicians in Exoskeletons, Industrial Mechs, and operating atop regular repair vehicles. 

Most of the combat units were terribly damaged but parts were sourced from Terra or cannibalized from other units if necessary.  “This is truly astounding architecture and operations-wise Precentor Sound.”

“Yes, the Hanger is one of the lost wonders of the Star League's Department Of Mega Engineering.  Perfect place to store lost treasures and insulated from observation in all spectra.  Little nippy but you get used to it, the jacket helps.”

“Would you like the grand tour of our facility sir?”
“Absolutely.  Glad we can finally begin making some progress on this mess.”

“Aye, me too.  Its not right to keep these War Machines locked up for centuries.  They were built to fight.  We should let them perform their purpose.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 21 May 2019, 16:52:24 »
Chapter 10 – Mandrinn takes Bishop
01/08/3041 18:47 Location – Cathay, Solaris VII

Tormano Liao walked through the streets of Cathay wearing a mask as expertly tailored as his black Zhongshang suit.  Both had been acquired in the same place, right here in Cathay, and he had need for some new acquisitions.  The man walked toward 'The Perfumed Garden' whose bright neon sign was presently dark during the day but would draw all manner of attention in a few hours.  Tormano walked up to the door and knocked thrice, a burly man in a kilt opened the door.  “De tha thu ag iarraidh?  Mura robh iad fosgailth.”

The mask was very good if it fooled Angus Stout, the former Northwind Highlander, “Tha duil aice rium”

Angus looked over him once more, the big man picked up the much smaller Tormano with a great hug.  “Little brother!  Come on in.  Fine craftsmanship you got on there fooled me even.  The Madame will be in the Jade Tea Room shortly.  Trust you can find your own way there.”

Tormano brushed himself off and stepped into the parlor before removing his mask, “Tapadh leibh Aongus.  Amazed it fooled you even for a short while.” 

The large man settled back into the thick Highspire hickory chair and Tormano set off through the main entertaining area where the barkeeps, elegant ladies, and attentive gentlemen were getting ready for their long evening.  One of the waitresses a thin woman with soft skin the color of teak wood intercepted him with a bottle of his favorite drink on a tray which she placed on the table in the Jade Tea Room.  “Xixie ni”  The woman departed with a smile and sashayed out of the room in her tight cheongsam dress with black fishnet stockings and heels closing the curtains behind her.

Madame Mai Shi entered shortly after, despite her biological age of nearly 50 she was still remarkably beautiful in her elegant robes with gold combs in her hair.  Once she was a close friend to both of his older sisters until she became their father's mistress after his second wife Elizabeth Jordan was found to be having an affair with Pavel Ridzik.  The affair unfortunately resulted in both of their untimely deaths due to 'suicide'. Max's fall from grace during the Victoria War and Romano's ascension to Chancellorship and the ongoing uncivil war with her sister had caused her to seek fortune elsewhere.  “Jie Mai Shi.  Ni kan quilai hen hao” ('Older sister' Mai Shi, you are looking well.)"

She leaned over and gracefully poured out two shots of the New Kyotan Imperial shogu on the table, “Tormano it is a pleasure to see you again.  How is the family?”

“We are well.”
  He raised a cup and she did the same, “To continued good health and fortune.”

“To continued good health and fortune.”
  Both placed the cups down and she poured another but let it stand for now.  “Tormano I've heard a dreadful rumor about Ian Davion's near death experience at the hands of Photon Brett in The Jungle.  Seems people think you might have arranged some of this...unfortunate coincidence.”

“While I did have access to both men's diplomatic schedules I would never do such a thing.  Just boys being boys.  You should know such things rarely are quite so simple.”

Both drank another shot of the liquor which was rapidly replaced.  “Yet you were recently on Atreus and had a chance to know about the troubled young man, have strings enough to pull for a match, clear the Jungle arena, and know that Ian enjoys the spotlight.  Seems you'd be the perfect man to arrange for such a fate for the Confederation's primary rivals.”

“Unfortunate coincidence I assure you.”

She smiled lightly, “Of course.  It was almost a terrible tragedy.  I hope you bet on Ian.  I did.  He could certainly stop by but I believe his Bishop is keeping him out of perfectly manicured hands.  Think of the publicity for my girls...or boys.”

Tormano sipped at the cup this time rather than rocking it back, “Based on what I saw on Tharkad its definitely girls Mai.”

“Excellent I should trying sicing young Zena on him.  Those Tikonovians will surprise you...in many ways.”

“I don't think that will work, not unless you have a plan for his minder Bishop Sortek.  Ian may be inexperienced but that man is frustratingly competent when he chooses to be.  Must be in their blood, my father's doppleganger plan would have worked without his cousin Ardan.  Either way that is not what I wanted to ask you about.”

“Oh...why must you ruin my fun Tormie?  I might still do it anyway.”

“I'm not going to stop you but I do have an alternate target I am trying to get leverage on.”

“And who might this be?”

“ComStar's Precentor ROM Charles Seneca.  He's a League native and I hear that ROM is gathering for a big operation.  I want to know where it is, what they want, and why. 

Free Cappela might need some help to turn out the heroes to Ian.  Hanse Davion is not going to stop with the Victoria Commonality not if our young prince charms Corrine Marik.  The Confederation would lose all its allies if that comes to pass. 

The Steiners are still rocky but more stable now that Melissa and Thomas are together.  I can cause chaos in the League but only so much before they kick me out.  One of my sisters is going to lose their war and I need support to take down the other one out.  Once that's done I can reclaim the Confederation but to get that done I need COMSTAR to stop prolonging it for their own benefit at the cost of our fellow citizens.”

“Very well Tormie.  You always were a dreamer.  I will make some calls and get back to you.  Perhaps you would like to meet at your place next time.  Would like to meet Treyhang and little Fengmian.”

Tormano looked at her curiously, “I will bring age appropriate gifts, just because I run the finest entertaining house in Solaris City doesn't mean that is my sole interest,” she looked longingly at a ink painting on the side wall with her name on the bottom right of the canvas, “just the best paying one.”

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 21 May 2019, 20:47:17 »
You owe me 2 bottles of brain bleach for that image.  Very well executed more please

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 22 May 2019, 21:33:30 »
You owe me 2 bottles of brain bleach for that image.  Very well executed more please

I'm curious if that was just one of the posts or one for each.  Either way, express shipping to your place Starfox.

Break_

01/18/3041 20:58 Location – Black Hills, Solaris VII

Bishop Sortek parked his red Argyle Sunspot electric motorcycle in the parking garage attached to The Pelican Pub.  He secured his helmet behind the seat and next to his pack which had his Class A uniform neatly folded within.  The heavily muscled Sikh bouncer looked him over and found his lower key but trendy enough clothing acceptable but asked for ID.  Bishop presented his military and diplomatic IDs to the man.  “No weapons inside even for you Major.”

Bishop handed the man his matte black Serek 7875 sidearm and its holster then man looked him over.  “Got a knife or club?”
“No, just a flashlight...and my hands.”

The man let a small smile break his gruff exterior, “Enjoy the Pelican Pub Major Sortek.  Your pistol will be right here and I'll keep an eye on the bike.”  The man walked over to a series of small lockers with tab keys on them, pulled one out and handed it to Bishop who put it into one of the discreet pockets in his pants.

Bishop pushed his way through the walkway where there were a few private booths to conduct 'business' of all sorts.  The club was packed inside with the huge tri-vid projector mounted at the center of the circular bar throwing colorful images of dancing forms against the massive glass dome above.  2D Screens showed sporting matches from across the Federated Suns and by request elsewhere.

Patrons occupied the dance floor in a variety of outfits ranging from neon bright against the black lights to almost non-existent.  Bishop didn't get out much so his outfits while trendy and well-fitted were no quite as daring, that and he wasn't a big fan of dancing he was here for the Markesan League's Football Championship.  He walked up to the bar and caught the eye of the attractive barmaid who was wearing very little but enough.  “What'll it be soldier.”
“That obvious huh.”
“Well most of our clients don't keep their hair high and tight unless they are active duty.  I like it though.  What can I get you?  Kinda busy tonight.”
“I'll take a Talcott Tan and a menu.”
“Sure thing hun.”

The woman returned with a brown ale from his birth-world of Talcott, the quaint world known primarily for being one of the largest providers of the advanced Aerospace engines used by the AFFS' fighter craft.  He moved his beer to one of the quieter corners to watch the football game just uploaded to the FSBS from the hosting world of New Valencia.  Fellow fans were wearing the colors of the New Valencia Wildcats or the Northfield Bloodhounds.  Bishop didn't care who won but it was going to be a good game and he needed to relax after spending all day working at the Sortek building to get clearances to League space and new orders from New Avalon.

A young woman in a fashionable black dress sat next to him, she smelled pleasant far better than the sweat and spilled spirits of the other Pelican patrons.  “Oh wow!  I made it.  I thought I was going to miss the opening play.”

Bishop idly opened with some innocent banter, “Any favorites miss?”

She leaned over and pushed her honey brown hair back to reveal the face of a pixie with bright hazel eyes that caught the bright light of the screen, “I'm a Wildcat fan.  Name's Helena.”

“Bishop.  Nice to meet you.”

“You too.  That's a neat name.  I don't think I know any other Bishops.”
She patted his head, “Where's your hat?”

Bishop cracked a rare smile at her silliness.  “I'm not that kind of Bishop Helena.  The only Miter I have is a saw.”

Both of them laughed she more so than he, “Do you know how to use it?  I was thinking about remodeling a loft here in Solaris City.  I don't typically stay in one place very long though so it's probably not worth it.”

Bishop wasn't paying any attention to the game.  He was fixated on a different one but still wary of this woman's sudden interest in him.  “I know the feeling.  I live out of a duffel bag and a cramped footlocker.  It is a rare treat to not be wearing green.”

“I'm sure you look quite handsome in it.”

“Maybe.  Can I get you a drink?”

“So sweet of you.  I would love a whole bottle of Tequila but I'll settle for a shot of Alegre, if they have it.  It's been a long day.”

“A woman of fine taste.  Lime juice?”

“Is there any other way to enjoy Alegre.”

“Not that I know of.”

The waitress worked her way around and Bishop ordered two shots of the higher end Tequila with Lime juice.  Helena held her glass the light of the screen refracted in the clear liquid within.  “What shall we toast to Bishop?”

He looked at her thinking for a second.  “To shorter days...and longer nights.”

Her meek smile was replaced with a larger grin.  “I like it.”  She downed the shot and lime juice chaser, “Let's take a bottle to go.”

Bishop did the same, “I have more back at my place.  You'll have to ride on the back of my bike though might be a rough ride.”

“Practice makes perfect.  Let's get out of here.”

Bishop's red Sunspot peeled out of the garage with two helmeted passengers aboard.  The bike white-lined it all the way to the Davion Arms condo that was reserved for visiting VIPs and was hastily parked on the manicured grass outside the door.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #88 on: 23 May 2019, 16:10:43 »
01/19/3041 07:58 Location – Black Hills, Solaris VII

Zena Usyk aka Helena Blair woke up after a fun night next to her mark Bishop Sortek.  Her vision was still blurred from sleep and tequila.  An empty bottle was probably somewhere on the floor under their discarded clothes, Bishop's bag, and her counterfeit designer purse.  She blinked it clear and went to the bathroom to get a cup of water.  As she got up she could hear Bishop groan and attempt to stand.  She returned with water and aspirin for both of them.  She covered herself with the sheet and sat up, he didn't bother, typical man.  “Been a long time since I've done that.”

“Me too.”
  She took a long drink from her glass, “You poor thing; your Commander not let you out to play much?”

“He needs constant adult supervision.”
  He did the same, “Every time I take my eyes off him he gets into trouble of interstellar magnitude.”

“Well at least that's exciting.  My work is typically boring.”
“What do you do anyhow Helena?”
“Better to talk about it over breakfast.  I need a shower.  You probably do too but you can get it afterwards while I fix my hair and nails.”
“You go get cleaned up.  I'll make breakfast.  We both seemed to work up an appetite last night.”

She dropped the sheet and worked her way tantalizingly slow to the shower using the door to cover everything but her face, “But it was very satisfying.”

Bishop waited until she turned on the shower and not receiving another invite put on shorts and worked his way to the kitchen.  Zena washed herself quickly and dried but left the shower running.  She peeked back into the bedroom and finding Bishop not there worked her way to her purse.  The sound of cooking and rock music from the Federated Suns could be heard from the bedroom doorway which she closed.  “Time to get to work.”

Zena opened up Bishop's bag and pulled out some of the papers he received at the Sortek building yesterday as well as his ID cards.  Using her phone she snapped pictures of the IDs of 'Sortek, Bishop Gambit.  Major AFFS' as well as new orders received from New Avalon.  Ian was cleared to leave for Augustine by the end of the week.  The Augustine that was the current location of Thomas Marik's baby sister Kristen, and her new baby Alys.  Gifts were to be brought and a photos taken of the dashing young Prince making nice with the Mariks.  “Saccharine but you can't go wrong with the classics.  Showing up at a friend's wedding, for the birth of a baby, and comforting the family of an ally during a state funeral for one of the best leaders in their time.  All very cutesy.”

She rifled through the bag and found a noteputer with a classified sticker on it, “What are you bringing with you?”  Zena was no hacker but she did have a datacard with some scripts on it from StIMI and MIIO acquired via moles working with Tormano.  She pulled out a tin of mints and opened the false bottom to reveal the card which she inserted into the computer slot.  The worms didn't seem to work they might backdoor onto something else though which would be sent to Mai Shi.

“Helena, what kind of jam do you like?”
“Damn, no time to mess around with it though.”

She pulled the datacard out and put it back in the container which she placed in her purse before returning to the bathroom and turning off the shower.  “Whatever you have is good Bishop.  Just finishing up now.  Five minutes.”

Bishop Sortek waited seven minutes for her and she arrived wearing a white sleeveless blouse and gray skirt with tan sandals.  He hair was in a messy bun that still framed her face nicely.  “You had all that in your purse?”

“Why did you think I carry around such a big one?  What else would I carry in it, fancy gadgets?  Skirts fold up small, these sandals are really thin but comfy, and I don't need sleeves in this subtropical climate.  A proper lady always needs to have a change of clothes.”

The table was set with a fine quick breakfast of bacon, toast, and eggs, two jars of jam were out as well as a metal tea kettle with presently full cups.  Bishop held the chair out for her, “Please sit.”

She smiled at him, “Why thank you kindly sir.”

Bishop sat down opposite her in the breakfast nook the mid-morning sun was beaming through the window to the side of them.  “Where did you put your dress?”

“It unfortunately tore last night.”
“Sorry about that, don't know my own strength.”
“It was going to go out of style soon anyway.”
  She spread some jam on the toast, “You can keep it if you like, as a trophy.”

“That's not my style.  Get a new one on me.”

Helena looked at him with amusement, “That could end up costing you more than you are willing to pay.”

“I'm good for it.  Make it another date?”

“I didn't realize we were dating now.  Thought it was just a fling.”
“I've only got another week on world figured I'd make it count.  That is if you are down for a few more long nights and nothing long term.”
“I'm also shortly about to leave town for a new job on Augustine.”

Bishop couldn't hide his interest, “What do you do Helena?”

“I'm a contributor for a faith based e-zine.  There's a columnist opportunity in Troy on Grecian that I've been vacillating upon but I think its a good one.  I hear the world is beautiful and calm, very different than this one.”

He stirred a sugar cube into his tea while looking at her, “When do you leave?”

“Ten days till liftoff, have it booked through COMSTAR already.  Will require a few shuttle transfers that will take me a little longer than a direct jump route but I don't have the money to route there directly.”
“What are you doing today?”

“I didn't have anything planned Bishop.  Don't you have work to do?”
“Light day actually.  Can finish up early this evening.  I have all afternoon and night free.”
“Why don't we have a shopping date then.”
  She leaned across the table and undid one of the buttons on her blouse, “I'll try on dresses and you see if you can get them off...without tearing them. 
Unless you want to of course.
Its your money I'm just in it for the fun.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 25 May 2019, 09:08:56 »
01/23/3041 Location – New Avalon Technologies, Black Hills, Solaris VII

Ian Davion walked through the cavernous Bays of NAT like he had done every morning for the past few months.  The eight Red and Gold mechs and four sleek Corsairs Aerofighters of his guard unit were still arrayed but they were packing up.  VEST Engineers milled about checking the diagnostics of the pieces of equipment they upgraded and panels were open for inspection. 

Ian stood at the feet of the rebuilt Golden Lion, not only had he installed the new laser but it got a new paint job courtesy of a Solaris body shop based on the poster art from his special.  The Marauder's front showed a Golden Lion with his paws on a Black Eagle.

His personal tech Vance hopped down from the scissor lift and took off his gloves hanging them off the heavily loaded belt of his green jumpsuit before taking his AFFS issued cover off and fanning it for a bit.  “You know I hope you never get in another fight Ian; but if you do make sure it’s somewhere with some good artists.”

“I hear Tamarind has some good artists.”
“Don’t push your luck Ian.  At least not while I’m still around.  Already put in a lot of overtime putting Golden Lion back together.”

“I guess so.  Have you seen Bishop lately Vance?”

“He’s been sparse this week.  Mykah only has a little bit to do on Jumping Jack.  That Penetrator is new undamaged equipment and all.  It’s not like she needs his help that much. As long as he changes the coolant regularly she won’t care unless he gets into a fight.”

“I haven’t seen him in days, he’s been keeping weird hours and staying at the Davion Arms condo at night rather than Starlight.”

“Did you try calling him?”
“He still calls me I just haven’t seen him.  Think he’s upset over something?”

Vance sat down in the rolling chair and moved it to the Marauder’s leg access panel as he pulled out his diagnostic computer. “Or he’s found a local piece.  Good selection on this planet; not that I have been taking full advantage while we were fixing your mech.

Almost makes our unscheduled stay worthwhile.  Just gotta stay out of Cathay, the 'massages' are good but the prices are high even for the level of service.”

“You’re probably right.  Just strange it seems like I’m missing my own shadow.”
“I'm sure he's fine.”
  He slapped the prince on the shoulder, “You're doing great kid.  I'll keep you out of trouble.”

Ian let out an incredulous laugh that echoed off the walls and drew the attention of the few remaining VEST Engineers, “You!  Oh man.  I'd rather try my luck playing Mahjong at Tormano Liao's than trust you can keep me out of trouble.”

Vance feigned a wounded look, “That hurts me deep.”  Patting himself on the chest, “Right to the core of my being Ian.”

“You'll live.”
“I might need the embrace of loving woman to heal however.”
“I'm sure you'll find one.”

Vance handed him the diagnostic computer, “Or two.  You can finish up here Ian, everything that needs to be done is on the computer, should be an easy night.”
“Where are you going?”
“Viewpoint.  Got a hot date and only a few more days on world.”
“Fine have a good time.”
“I will.  Chin up Ian. We're heading out soon to see you potentially lovely teenage bride to be.  I can have some fun then it will be your turn.”

He put his motorcycle helmet under the crook of his elbow, “Keep it clean Ian.”
Ian looked at the to do list on the diagnostic computer, there were few things he couldn't do on Golden Lion after learning under Vance.  That didn't make all the duties pleasant ones and Vance typically saved at least one unpleasant task for him to keep him humble.

01/26/3041 Location – Solaris Spaceport, International Zone

Ian Davion and the crew of the FSDS Valor had been busy the past few days reloading the now steaming spheroid Union dropship.  A contingent of blue clad Solaris Authority's Gendearme and a Copper SecurityMech were on hand to ensure that nothing unauthorized was loaded onto the Prince's vessel.  If something was going to go wrong it wasn't going to be on their watch. 

An Aurochs 8x8 heavy cargo truck rumbled past him.  Its internal cargo bay and the trailer it was carrying were the last of the supplies his unit was loading up for the next leg of his Interstellar cruise.  By oh six hundred he was going to be lifting off heading toward a jumpship that would take him to Free Worlds League space. Heading toward the planet Augustine where the Captain-General's little (half-)sister was about to welcome the next Marik in the already heavily extended family.

He looked at his watch '04:40' and went over the checklist again, “Where the hell is Bishop?”

Twenty minutes later he was still on the tarmac while the crew finished up final preparations.  A small car worked its way across the Tarmac heading his way, the diminishing SAG contingent intercepted it but after a short inquiry waved it through.  The vehicle stopped a short way from Ian and another man in a green jacket and casual clothes stepped out followed by an attractive brunette.  He opened the trunk and grabbed his bag before the woman came over and gave him a long kiss before returning to the car.

“Sorry I was late Captain Davion.  Slept in.”
“Easy to do with a woman like that I suppose.  What's her name?”
“Helena, from (Novaya) Zem(la).”
“Glad you had a good week Bishop, been missing you buddy.”
“Well we have some time to catch up while en transit to Augustine.  You didn't get into any trouble while I was away did you?”
“Not enough to get a headline.”
“Well keep it up Ian.  We only want good news headlines.”

The woman lowered the window, “Au revoir, á beintõt l'amour.” then blew him a kiss.
“Je t'attendrai Helena.” she rolled away and the rest of the SAG contingent followed her

“What did she mean Bishop.”
“I'll tell you in the Valor.”