Author Topic: Improved cockpits and Improved targeting Computers  (Read 457 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Improved cockpits and Improved targeting Computers
« on: 26 February 2024, 15:54:16 »
Now this is something I had in mind since the idea of introducing microprocessors and modern computers in the 32nd century came to mind. The concept is simple a cockpit variant and targeting computer variant that's lighter and gives more accuracy to weapons overall.

Improved standard Cockpit:
Tonange:2 tons
Crits: Same as standard cockpit
Rules: -1 to hit modifier for all weapons brackets(stacks with targeting computers and AES of all types) and is immune to guardian and Angel ECM effects.
Lore: Due to a breakthrough in cockpit technologies with the introduction of newer generation electronics based around microprocessor technologies. This more accurate and lighter cockpit type allowed for more consistent targeting with weapons and a almost outright immunity to most current generations of ECM.

Improved Targeting Computer:
Tonnage Ratio: 0.5 tons for every four tons of weapons.
Crits: 1 crit for every four tons of weapons.
Rules: -1 to hit modifier for all weapons brackets(stacks with improved cockpit) and is Immune to up to Angel ECM effects.
Lore: Due to breakthroughs in computer technologies, such as the invention of the microprocessor. it allowed for lighter and more resilient targeting computers for the same performance. Using a mixture of digital fire control computers and stabilizers allowing for more consistent targeting and tracking. Regardless of the range.

So that's my Improved cockpit and targeting computers. they upgrade them by making them lighter and more resiliant to ECM/ECCM effects basically.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Improved cockpits and Improved targeting Computers
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2024, 16:11:45 »
I never like just better especially with resistance to Angel ECM particularly since C3 is the equipment jammed.  ECM has a very limited effect on a C3 less environment (except ghost targets and command mines)

I'd say actually an enhanced cockpit at 4 tons with light active probe's sensor radius. Additionally the extra ton allows the pilot to maintain an uplink without pausing (maybe even give it a bonus on that roll).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2024, 20:33:20 »
A ton lighter AND the other bonuses together just feel like piling on...

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2024, 00:46:12 »
A ton lighter AND the other bonuses together just feel like piling on...

Indeed it is.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2024, 13:21:29 »
Simply better is always the worst way to design something.

If you want to make a change of meta and also gives intended superiority for the newly built electronics, what about to make the cockpit all the same(include the tonnage) but gives the additional benefit for the units with those cockpit to gives a -1 to hit roll against the units without such cockpit system, as well as inflict a +1 to hit roll when the said units except for conventional infantry are attacks that unit?

And don't you think that the equivalent of Angel ECM on the era does have the capability to deal with those ECM negating device?

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2024, 18:32:39 »
Even if I wanted to make a new Tech Base to intentionally obsolete both IS and Clan equipment, I wouldn't touch the tonnage on the cockpit.  That just crowds out other potential cockpit types.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 February 2024, 02:18:58 »
Even if I wanted to make a new Tech Base to intentionally obsolete both IS and Clan equipment, I wouldn't touch the tonnage on the cockpit.  That just crowds out other potential cockpit types.

And even if you really want to do that, you better define a totally different type of unit instead that won't be compatible with the 'older' components.

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 29 February 2024, 06:07:21 »
these were more of throwaway ideas than anything. Not indicative of what my custom tech base is going to be like. Though I did have the idea of improved robotic cockpits, stuff that doesn't get as easily wrecked by ECM(Only suffers a +2 to hit mod in a hostile ECM field) and weighs 7 tons.

Improved Robotic Cockpit:
Tonnage: 7
Crits: 6(all head mounted)
Gameplay Rules: Units equipped with the Improved Robotic Cockpit only suffer a +2 to hit modifier when inside a hostile ECM field and count as 4/5 Piloting and Gunner Units.
Unit restrictions: Battle mechs, Industrial mechs, Aerospace Fighters.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 29 February 2024, 09:04:45 »
these were more of throwaway ideas than anything. Not indicative of what my custom tech base is going to be like. Though I did have the idea of improved robotic cockpits, stuff that doesn't get as easily wrecked by ECM(Only suffers a +2 to hit mod in a hostile ECM field) and weighs 7 tons.

Improved Robotic Cockpit:
Tonnage: 7
Crits: 6(all head mounted)
Gameplay Rules: Units equipped with the Improved Robotic Cockpit only suffer a +2 to hit modifier when inside a hostile ECM field and count as 4/5 Piloting and Gunner Units.
Unit restrictions: Battle mechs, Industrial mechs, Aerospace Fighters.

What's the idea of 6 crits? Will it replaces all the components on the head parts includes basic equipments such as sensors? What if the whole equipment suffers one crit on a random location? Will the whole device stops immediately? Also is 7 tons also included the weight for the sensors and life support systems as well and is not so heavy than it looks on the paper?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 29 February 2024, 09:51:01 »
Do you not automatically just give all robots ECM suites for ECCM work? I've always done that because it makes sense, is cheap (compared to a robotic cockpit), and only adds 1.5 tons. There are already rules for improved robotic systems and I actually rather like the piloting penalty for robot mechs. It gives robotically controlled Mechs 'realistic' drawbacks and makes designers think of them as distinct entities.

Primus203

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2024, 03:07:02 »
In my opinion the simplest way to balance this item is cost and damage. Firstly from a tech standpoint its new bleeding edge even so it will cost more parts will be harder to get increasing maintenance costs. Even after this the modules probably need more maintenance.

Second damage this new tech as well as the act of fitting it could make it more damage prone. In essence non penetrating hits that cross a certain roll or if you fail a roll will cause a failure in these more delicate systems.

A third idea is heat. Modern computing already generates lots of heat. All of these advanced processors to get these results generates a constant one to three points of heat load.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2024, 02:02:18 »
My idea of improving the cockpit involves changing the sensors and life support and makes the quirks actual equipment.

My head canon has sensors and life support units weighing .5 tons each. A single improved system can be used to replace both standard systems to gain tonnage and crit space at the loss of redundancy. Two improved systems can also replace both standard ones to gain the bonus they do under their Quirks. That would let Mechs free up to 1 ton and 2 critical slots and operate normally at the cost of redundancy. 

Register