Author Topic: MegaMek Space Game  (Read 303 times)

Warmind_SR

• Recruit
MegaMek Space Game
« on: 21 March 2024, 09:55:47 »
Alright, so recently given my WarShip craze (aka all the time) and some AU projects I've been firing up MegaMek to simulate ship battles. I keep running into this problem where the AI without fail flies off the map and they don't seem to return. How do I stop this, or do they try their best to come back? How long would it take the AI to come back?

Sleet01

• Recruit
Re: MegaMek Space Game
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2024, 13:24:05 »
What version?  Also,  what units specifically are flying off the map, in what situations?
- I laughed, I cried, I fell down, it changed my life... it was good!

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2024, 14:07:57 »
Princess cannot handle Advanced Aerospace Movement and will go sailing off the map routinely. And flying off the map "destroys" the unit (except on ground maps with the unofficial "allow return flyovers" selected).

Use normal movement and she can do OK in space games.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2024, 14:18:31 »
Princess cannot handle Advanced Aerospace Movement and will go sailing off the map routinely. And flying off the map "destroys" the unit (except on ground maps with the unofficial "allow return flyovers" selected).

Use normal movement and she can do OK in space games.

The bot can handle Newtonian physics movement options, but does tend to go crazy with thrust sometimes.  I play the bot in Newtonian aerospace games all the time.

Make sure you have the aerospace game option set to let the bot return to the map.  The latest dev releases show in the initiative phase how many turns units that flew off the map will return to the map.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Warmind_SR

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2024, 16:04:24 »
Make sure you have the aerospace game option set to let the bot return to the map.  The latest dev releases show in the initiative phase how many turns units that flew off the map will return to the map.

What is this option called? Allow Return Flyovers?

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2024, 19:19:30 »
What is this option called? Allow Return Flyovers?

Yes, I believe that needs to be enabled. I leave it that way even for ground games as the maps I usually play are never big enough to keep aerospace units on-map all the time.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Register