Author Topic: Mech repairs  (Read 3508 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Mech repairs
« on: 02 March 2011, 19:48:31 »
Question for those with more familiariy with modofying/repairing DA minis than me. I got a batch of minis off of evilbay. Unfortnately, there were a few unpleasant surprises when I got them, and I'm looking to fix them.

One of the mechs, a Mad Cat IV, had been doubly cursed. Its missile launchers had been assembeld backwards - ie, the left was on the right and vice-versa. To make matters worse, one of the launchers had snapped off at some point, with the ball of the joint being still inside the launher. So my question is this - there any way to remove the launchers and sweap them over, as well as recriving the shattered peg inside the severed one, preferably while doing as little damage to the mech as possible?

Second one was less terribad, but still awfu; a mech with its legs on the base backwards. Again, any good way to remove the mech from the base?

Thanks in advance
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
Re: Mech repairs
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2011, 21:05:35 »
Yep there are a few tricks.  There's not much distinction between the left and right missile pods other than the paint job.  The broken peg will be easy to remove, but the trick is that the plastic figure has to be dipped in hot or boiling water long enough to make it pliable.  That could mean removing the dials from the base if you want to keep the mech's legs on it.

The joints will be soft enough to snap together while warm and resist changes once they cool down.  If the joint is big enough, you can pin the broken peg back in place and secure it with super glue.  Then heat the socket again so it will stretch around the unheated peg and the repair should allow the joint to function normally.

The joint will never be as strong as an undamaged one but should last a while if treated gently. 

Anyhow, that's what I know about modding and repairing.  If you have spare parts and willing to experiment, you'll find all kinds of things that can be snapped on or pried off.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Register