Author Topic: Master Unit List (MUL) Feedback Thread III - READ THE FIRST POST  (Read 153624 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

CVB

• Captain
Thanks!  :thumbsup:

My other point is that the Errata document right now states that the RotS Bolla had been changed from
"Technology Base: Inner Sphere" to
"Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)"
in the second printing.

Since we all agree that it is, in fact, "Advanced", the errata for the next printing should reflect that and read
Bolla Stealth Tank (p. 34)
Technology Base should be changed from "Inner Sphere (Experimental)" to "Inner Sphere (Advanced)".
to avoid to wrongly repeat it as "Experimental" in the next reprint of TRO3085.
That's why I asked if I should raise this point in the TRO3085 error thread or if this would be flagged via internal channels.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2021, 18:28:50 by CVB »
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
Didn't there used to be the static emplacements from McCarron's Armored Cavalry on here?
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
never left. they're classified under the unit type "Building"

http://masterunitlist.info/Source/Details/353/mccarrons-armored-cavalry

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Should Wolf's Dragoons have the Ebon Jaguar/Cauldron-Born on their availability list, the main character in the Redemption Rift novel pilots one?

Luciora

• Major
Kokou Defense Tank (XL) is available to the Magistry of Canopus during the Star League. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
i usually catch that when i do it. we add 'not available' to eras previous to the introduction. sometimes i hit 'm' instead of 'n' by accident and it jumps to the MoC. this is the first instance of those wily canopians's time travel division sneaking items back...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
some availability questions:

The Assault Triumph 3062 is listed as a DC and later CC design. While it's correct The DC produces the Triumph 3057 this is a WoB design produced on Terra. Additionally the cargo bay uses a 6 base system (6 mechs, 36 BA). shouldn't it be extinct or maybe RotS design like the 3082 version?

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5297/assault-triumph-3062

The Aurora dropship is produced on skye in the LA later RotS and Delavan in the FS. Should it be available to the DC? Additionally by the Dark Age it is being produced by the Filtvelt Coalition (FM3145 page 189)

The Challenger X is a Vehicle that was probably widely sold by the Federated Commonwealth around the Clan Invasion era but should it continue to be available to the DC and TC all through the Dark Age after years of hostility between the FS and the DC (its in the Taurian RAT in FM 3085)?

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/538/challenger-mbt-x

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
Kirishima class cruiser remove from the FS list in the Jihad Era. The only Kirishima (Covenant) the FS had was destroyed during the civil war (ramming speed! IIRC)
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4451/kirishima-cruiser-standard

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
some availability questions:

The Assault Triumph 3062 is listed as a DC and later CC design. While it's correct The DC produces the Triumph 3057 this is a WoB design produced on Terra. Additionally the cargo bay uses a 6 base system (6 mechs, 36 BA). shouldn't it be extinct or maybe RotS design like the 3082 version?

The CapCon is noted as producing it in FM:3145, the DC's examples are simply leftovers that had previously been purchased from the WoB. Relatedly, the RotS isn't a user of the design, instead favoring the Assault Triumph (3082).

The Aurora dropship is produced on skye in the LA later RotS and Delavan in the FS. Should it be available to the DC? Additionally by the Dark Age it is being produced by the Filtvelt Coalition (FM3145 page 189)

The DC availability is supported by Wars of the Republic Era, but Filtvelt does appear to be an omission. We'll look into this.

The Challenger X is a Vehicle that was probably widely sold by the Federated Commonwealth around the Clan Invasion era but should it continue to be available to the DC and TC all through the Dark Age after years of hostility between the FS and the DC (its in the Taurian RAT in FM 3085)?

Things in the BattleTech universe sometimes take a while to no longer become available, which would be the reason it's still around here. Things like salvage can help it stick around as well.

Kirishima class cruiser remove from the FS list in the Jihad Era. The only Kirishima (Covenant) the FS had was destroyed during the civil war (ramming speed! IIRC)
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4451/kirishima-cruiser-standard

That's a bit of an issue, ain't it. Fixed!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
It occurred to me that every now and then someone wonders what availability in MUL means, or is confused by it, or something like that. Would it be possible to add explanation for that somewhere?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Should Wolf's Dragoons have the Ebon Jaguar/Cauldron-Born on their availability list, the main character in the Redemption Rift novel pilots one?

One example doesn't really establish availability.  Once the Ebon Jag comes out in a Rec Guide we might know better for sure but until then it hasn't been produced in the better part of a hundred years and there's no consistent way for the Dragoons to have gotten more of them.  Its availability in the Dark Age timeframe is generously speaking "limited".
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Spartan601

• Recruit
Named Infantry Units in MUL
« Reply #72 on: 05 May 2021, 22:40:09 »
Hi all.

Long time lurker, very rare poster. I have had a question buzzing in the back of my mind regarding infantry that has been driving me nuts, and I finally decided to do something about it. I am fairly sure the answer is simple and obvious, but here goes.

There are many named Infantry units, like those below, that are available to many factions. Is this intended to allow all the factions to represent that type of unit, without drowning the MUL in different cards for each faction?

Clan Foot Infantry Ad Hoc Point, 42nd BattleMech Cluster, Theta Galaxy
Foot Ballistic Rifle Hastati V, 513th Infantry Regiment
Heavy Foot LRM Infantry Stalwart Support-Heavy LRM Infantry

As a follow up, is there any reason why there are a few named units that don't allow for analogous units?
Two examples I've found for this are:

Heavy Jump Infantry DEST Heavy Response Platoon
SRM Foot Infantry Taurian Citizens Militia

Thanks in advance for your help in silencing the buzzing!
« Last Edit: 08 May 2021, 12:01:16 by Hammer »

StingerTheRaven

• Private
  • Vroom

some Aerospace PV peer-review, calculated via home-made spreadsheet. Which is wrong; me, Alpha Strike Companion (i.e. I'm correct according to ASC v1.4, but that's out-of-date), or MUL?

Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 - TARGET: 20PV* (me and MUL are in agreement here) http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2992/sparrowhawk-spr-h5
Code: [Select]
DMG: 2+(1+1)+0 = 4
Thrust: (10/4)+1 = 3.5
ARM: (4*1.5) = 6
STR: 5 = 5
Thresh: 2 * (SZ1/2) = 1

Sum = 19.5, round to 20

Corsair CSR-V12b - TARGET: 30PV http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/694/corsair-csr-v12b
DMG: 4+(4+4)+2=14
Thrust: 6/4 = 1.5
ARM: (7*1.5) = 10.5
STR: 3 = 3
Thresh: 3 * (SZ2/2) = 3

Sum = 32!

Shiva SHV-OB - TARGET: 39PV http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5054/shiva-shv-ob
DMG: 4+(7+7)+7 = 25
Thrust: 5/4 = 1.25
ARM: (6*1.5) = 9
STR: 4 = 4
Thresh: 2 * (SZ3/2) = 3

Sum = 42.25, round to 42!

Stuka STU-K5b - TARGET: 44PV http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/3111/stuka-stu-k5b
DMG: 6+(6+6)+4 = 22
OV: 1 = 1
Thrust: 5/4 = 1.25
ARM: (9*1.5) = 13.5
STR: 5 = 5
Thresh: 3 * (SZ3/2) = 4.5

Sum = 47.25, round to 47!

remarks: I suspect there's been change in how thrust and/or threshold influence the calculation? Might have to experiment here.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2021, 17:21:00 by StingerTheRaven »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
I think you're missing a couple errata in 1.4. These are both on p18 of the ASC Errata v1.4.

Threshold is not a separate add to PV any more.
"The Armor Factor of an aerospace unit equals its Alpha Strike Armor value. This is multiplied by (1.3 + (the unit’s Threshold *
0.1)); if the result is higher than 1.9, reduce it to 1.9. If the unit has the BAR special, divide the final result by 2."
So a Corsair with Armor of 7 and Threshold 3 has 7 * (1.3 + 0.3) for 7 * 1.6.  And then no +3 for Threshold.

Thrust adds 0.5 for Thrust 7-9 or 2 for Thrust 10.
so the Corsair would have 1.5 for Thrust, but the Sparrowhawk would have 10/4 +2 for Thrust 10, not 10/4 + 1. (but no +1 for threshold, thus the same final end result of 20 PV).

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

StingerTheRaven

• Private
  • Vroom
Ah, thank you! Something did seem off when I was reading the original PDF, guess I should read more thoroughly.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wait, what's the Perseus doing on the Escorpión Imperio/Scorpion Empire availability list? Like, how?

EDIT Also, the Perseus W should probably be listed as extinct after the Jihad, because it uses a C3i computer. At least i got an impression that very few exceptions aside, the tech was very much extinct and banned. For comparison, the Avatar E is extinct after the Jihad because of this.
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5699/perseus-p1w
« Last Edit: 08 May 2021, 15:46:40 by Empyrus »

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Wait, what's the Perseus doing on the Escorpión Imperio/Scorpion Empire availability list? Like, how?

Waypoint 531, same as the rest of the Blakist equipment in SE ranks.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
The Empire captured a major Word of Blake cache at one point that heavily influenced their touman for some time.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Oh, i missed/forgot that. Not sure which. Well then.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Named Infantry Units in MUL
« Reply #80 on: 08 May 2021, 16:02:19 »
Hi all.

Long time lurker, very rare poster. I have had a question buzzing in the back of my mind regarding infantry that has been driving me nuts, and I finally decided to do something about it. I am fairly sure the answer is simple and obvious, but here goes.

There are many named Infantry units, like those below, that are available to many factions. Is this intended to allow all the factions to represent that type of unit, without drowning the MUL in different cards for each faction?

Clan Foot Infantry Ad Hoc Point, 42nd BattleMech Cluster, Theta Galaxy
Foot Ballistic Rifle Hastati V, 513th Infantry Regiment
Heavy Foot LRM Infantry Stalwart Support-Heavy LRM Infantry

As a follow up, is there any reason why there are a few named units that don't allow for analogous units?
Two examples I've found for this are:

Quoting this because I moved it here.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Named Infantry Units in MUL
« Reply #81 on: 08 May 2021, 16:41:39 »
Exactly.
The names are intended as specific examples of the general template.  We assigned the availability based on who could use that record sheet.  If Faction A has WXYZ Infantry, we asisnged it to Faction B if:
1. Faction B uses the same infantry organization. If it's a 28 troop infantry platoon, does Faction B use 28 troop infantry platoons?  If not, they can't have it.
2. Faction B has the individual equipment (usually armor) available, or a version with the same stats. The faction specific armor was the main issue here.  If Faction B doesn't have equipment available with the same (Total Warfare) stats, then Faction B can't have that unit.
I suppose there is a 3. Would Faction B use this infantry unit?  But I don't recall this being an issue with any of them.

The DEST Infiltration Suit is rather unique.

The Taurian infantry organization is rather unique.

You're welcome, thanks for asking.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

jasonf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Here are a few more errata I found in my neverending rabbit hole of unit production research...

1. Katya GAC: The "(RL15)" variant should probably be the "(RL20)" variant according to HBHL (The standard model has RL15's, and the variants are the RL10 version, RL20 version, and fuel version):
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4438/katya-ground-assault-craft-rl15

2. Shilone SL-18: Should be available to Taurians for Civil War, Jihad eras (and later?). Produced by Wingman Enterprises according to HBMPS as a joint venture with OWA (so I assume this is the correct variant as the OWA also has access to it).
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2926/shilone-sl-18

3. Overlord A3 DropShip: Lyran Alliance should have it in Civil War, Jihad eras. Produced by Shipil-Skye according to HBHS.
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4776/overlord-a3

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
*snip*

I'll bring the two other points up for discussion, but Shilone production was established to be the SL-17.

jasonf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
I'll bring the two other points up for discussion, but Shilone production was established to be the SL-17.

Good to know. Sounds like trade deals weren't really Grover Shraplen's calling...

CVB

• Captain
1) AA Mechanized infantry Mechanized AA Infantry Point, 67th BattleMech Cluster, Iota Galaxy from TRO3085 seems to have gotten its Tonnage and BV values from the neighbouring Clan Heavy Jump Infantry Heavy Infantry Point, 91st Mechanized Assault, Epsilon Galaxy. Original values are 20 tons and BV=99.

2) Conventional Infantry classification:

MUL classifies 117 infantry units as Type "Conventional Infantry" with Subtype "Conventional Infantry - Mechanized".
Among those 117 units are Tracked, Wheeled and Hover units (and one Submersible Mechanized unit).

However there are also three Subtypes "Conventional Infantry - Hover"), "Conventional Infantry - Tracked" and "Conventional Infantry - Wheeled",  containing 16(H), 15(T) and 16(W) Mechanized Infantry units of the respective movement type.

Is there a specific reason why most units are lumped together as "Mechanized" while some are grouped according to their movement type?

"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
1) definitely a mistake. interestingly it has the CAR20 special. fixed

2) this will require review to determine if there was reasoning or just a misclassification. EDIT: I think I see what's going on here but will have to run it past the rest of the team
« Last Edit: 10 May 2021, 16:40:56 by Sartris »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Update: Conventional Infantry - Mechanized was a catchall category for mechinf from TW and TO. With the introduction of the TR3085 infantry, movement type was no longer immediately obvious based on the name. All mechanized infantry are now sorted into subtypes that match their movement modes (as this actually matters in the game)

Hover
Tracked
Wheeled
VTOL
SCUBA

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
Rawhide-R1 should be added to the mercenary list. From IlClan RG 15 page 4: "making the Rawhide popular with
budget-conscious users like mercenaries"
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/8189/rawhide-rwd-r1

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Rawhide-R1 should be added to the mercenary list. From IlClan RG 15 page 4: "making the Rawhide popular with
budget-conscious users like mercenaries"
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/8189/rawhide-rwd-r1

Thanks, fixed.

Register