Author Topic: Clan Spaniel - Chalcas?  (Read 1477 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Clan Spaniel - Chalcas?
« on: 21 March 2023, 08:36:54 »
Looking at what limited material exists for Clan Spaniel (Warriors of Kerensky, Clan Spaniel Saves Strana Mechty, and the apocryphal MWO April Fools Corgi 'Mech), I'm trying to make sense of their roster.

Clan Spaniel Saves Strana Mechty is a BattleCorps April Fools scenario that portrays all of the Clan Spaniel members as MechWarriors.  However, looking at the illustration in Warriors of Kerensky, we seen visual cues that this is not the case.

Ferdinan the bull would almost certainly be an Elemental, given his size.  Alternatively, he could be considered the show's representation of the Laborer Caste.

Rikki the otter is shown holding a wrench, clearly marking him/her as Technician caste.  That would make their twin, Tikki, Scientist Caste.

Porky is shown wearing conventional combat armor and hefting a large laser rifle attached to a backpack-mounted power cell.  So, is he solahma infantry?

The "Clan Spaniel Saves Strana Mechty" scenario pits two Stars of Clan Spaniel MechWarriors against a lance from each of the five monkey tribes, under the command of the One-Eyed White Monkey.  But would putting Rikki and Tikki in OmniMechs be a depiction of chalcas?  And if so, what are the implications of it being showcased in a program meant to mold the worldview of pre-adolescent clanners in the creche?

Known members:
Khan Polly - parrot
Spot - dalmatian? (not pictured)
Lassy - collie? (not pictured)
Oscar - species? (not pictured)
Pembroke - corgi? (not pictured)
Merlin - owl? (not pictured)
Foxy - fox (aerospace pilot? Has the large head and svelte build)
Ferdinan - bull (Elemental? Laborer caste?)
Porky - pig (infantry?)
Rikki - otter (Technician)
Tikki - otter (Scientist)

Further speculation - if the evil monkey tribes are analogues to the Inner Sphere Great Houses, might there be a group of evil baboons who betrayed Clan Spaniel and switched sides to help the evil monkeys?  I'm sensing the possibility of a Critter-tek crossover.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Clan Spaniel - Chalcas?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2023, 08:53:04 »
It all gets resolved in the 3070s Rated R soft-reboot: Clan Spaniel Reaves Their Tainted.

Jokes aside, it was mainly marketed at Merchant Caste kids, and as we all know Merchants see market divides, not caste divides.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2023, 08:54:39 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2023, 09:13:58 »
The original series was apparently still putting out new episodes in the late 3070s, since the "Clan Spaniel Saves Strana Mechty" episode aired April 1, 3078.

The model for the show was to instruct the young in Clan values, though, so wouldn't putting a Tech and a Scientist in 'Mechs be taboo?  Especially with the Wars of Reaving having just concluded in 3075?  I'm just thinking in terms of the very recent Society uprising, here.

(Granted, the real answer is that this was a joke scenario published for April Fools' Day, and that not a lot of thought went into the context, but it's fun to try to consider the meta implications as the Clans try to use their media outlets to restore order to a shattered society and indoctrinate the next generations as they begin to rebuild.)

"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2023, 14:37:09 »
Hmmm.  Looking more deeply into it, Rikki and Tikki seem to be named from the Rudyard Kipling story Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, which was about a mongoose.  That would link them to an Absorbed Clan.  Knocking them down to lower caste status fits, thereby.  And they were Absorbed for being weak/sneaky, rather than for having accidentally assassinated the ilKhan.  Probably no Widowmaker spiders in the Clan Spaniel lineup.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2023, 15:12:00 »
Hmmm.  Looking more deeply into it, Rikki and Tikki seem to be named from the Rudyard Kipling story Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, which was about a mongoose.  That would link them to an Absorbed Clan.

Assuming the Clans are even aware of Kipling's work. They have almost zero written stories/histories outside of their Remembrances. I think this link might be a wee bit of a stretch.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2023, 15:36:47 »
Assuming the Clans are even aware of Kipling's work. They have almost zero written stories/histories outside of their Remembrances. I think this link might be a wee bit of a stretch.

I'll grant that Warriors of Kerensky claims that "literature is almost unknown in the Clans" with the few books in circulation written post-Exodus and heavily censored.  However, much of what was in Warriors of Kerensky has been superseded by later texts.  Notably, the very next paragraph in WoK notes that many tales shared in the Clan oral tradition are parables, often plagarized from Inner Sphere sources and changed to reflect the Clan viewpoint.  So it would fit that the tale of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi might be orally passed on to sibkos in the creche, even without printouts of its text, with a focus on the importance of defending one's family against the plots of those who seek to seize one's home."  Rikki-Tikki-Tavi features a warrior animal, multiple killings, and a shotgun blast to the face - all good bedtime story material for li'l Clanners.

The Falcons purged their books and other historical records, but they seem to have been outliers in this regard.  The Cloud Cobras retain large libraries of religious texts, and the Goliath Scorpions were notorious hoarders of historical artifacts (literature included).  Jaime Wolf, when visiting the Gray Death Legion on Glengarry, sought to fight a re-enactment of Gettysburg.  Without historical texts, why would he have cared about such an ancient battle?  Sure, he could have picked it up during his decades in the Inner Sphere, but without prior context, what would be his motivation?

One can infer that the Coyotes (and the Scientist caste, in general) had access to significant amounts of historical literature.  Otherwise, what meaning would a "labname" have, linking them to a famous scientist, if they knew nothing of history?

Nonetheless, the name's less important than what it clarifies - the species.  It wasn't clear from the art, but the name pretty solidly establishes the two as mongooses (as opposed to ferrets or otters).  It's notable because the other Spaniels are explicitly not from Clan totem animals.  (And would the inclusion of the mongooses be triggering for members of Clan Cloud Cobra?)
« Last Edit: 21 March 2023, 16:01:55 by Mendrugo »

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2023, 16:06:52 »
I'll grant that Warriors of Kerensky claims that "literature is almost unknown in the Clans" with the few books in circulation written post-Exodus and heavily censored.  However, much of what was in Warriors of Kerensky has been superseded by later texts.

Which is unfortunate, because it was a part of what defined them as a culture and showed just how extreme their culture is when it comes to erasing the past to build their own future. Even as recently as the Dark Age, this was still felt (Malvina and Aleks studying ancient military history was apparently very taboo).

The Falcons purged their books and other historical records, but they seem to have been outliers in this regard.  The Cloud Cobras retain large libraries of religious texts, and the Goliath Scorpions were notorious hoarders of historical artifacts (literature included).

Oh, those are great examples of what I meant by my "almost". Very good points here.

One can infer that the Coyotes (and the Scientist caste, in general) had access to significant amounts of historical literature.  Otherwise, what meaning would a "labname" have, linking them to a famous scientist, if they knew nothing of history?

I do agree, but would be hilariously ironic if they didn't have a context (or at least a complete one) for their labnames. Yet another example of the Clans cutting off their own nose to spite their face.

Nonetheless, the name's less important than what it clarifies - the species.  It wasn't clear from the art, but the name pretty solidly establishes the two as mongooses (as opposed to ferrets or otters).  It's notable because the other Spaniels are explicitly not from Clan totem animals.  (And would the inclusion of the mongooses be triggering for members of Clan Cloud Cobra?)

If they are mongooses, and I'm certainly leaning that way now between the art and the literary reference, it does seem like an odd choice to use to portray what are supposed to be the "good guys" in Clan Spaniel. But given the inter-caste mixing in here, and the fact that there are no Mongooses anymore to be offended (why they don't use actual Clan totem animals, as you pointed out), I doubt the writers gave this any serious thought.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2023, 16:10:37 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2023, 20:57:28 »
Given Kipling's love of Tommies, martial races, and benevolent rule over the lower castes, I am sure a properly bowdlerized version would fit right in the Clans.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2023, 22:56:26 »
You guys should write a Clan Spaniel ilClan story.

Especially winning against the Society and the mechanical apes.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2023, 12:18:30 »
Perhaps one of the writers is a member of a cloister that considers Kipling a prophet and his works scripture.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2023, 08:45:58 »
You guys should write a Clan Spaniel ilClan story.

Especially winning against the Society and the mechanical apes.

TT

I've wanted to see Clan Spaniel fanfics done for a very long time.  I'd write one, but I don't think I can write a Clan version of The Book of Virtues well enough  ;D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2023, 13:07:19 »
Take an old Care Bear and MLP cartoon show that discussed some virtue that hasn't been said before. Add in other Critters to portray the Clan Spaniel? But make it Caste based and bias in some form.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016