Author Topic: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4  (Read 219816 times)

Makinus

• Warrant Officer
Re: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4
« Reply #30 on: 20 April 2015, 07:31:45 »
You can play without maintenance.  If you do play with maintenance, take a -1 modifier, set maintenance cycle to 30 days, and only damage parts at "A" quality.  Do not play with era mods.  You will still often find that your Veteran and Elite techs are the only ones that maintain fairly well.

For AtB, the correct modifier is 0 (G282 Campaign_System sheet), you can also work without the maintenance cycles, but still needs to assign a tech for each mech (a good use for Green Techs).

Now a small update: Against the Bot version 2.31

This update is exactly like 2.30, except that i added a new sheet called "Dev" where new rules will be put before being added to the main AtB rules - all rules on the "Dev" are in development and can receive changes before being added to the main rules, or may be even discarded as too cumbersome. Currently i have only a Life Modules recruitment option that i´m testing for the starting company mechwarriors.

I want all suggestions for rule changes/additions to go in the Dev section first so players can playtest them and suggest modifications... so any house rules the players want to share i will be happy to add them to Dev for others to see.

AtB 2.31:
- Added "Dev" sheet
- Life Modules recruitment added to Dev

Snimm: can you add the file to the first post too? Thanks.

Neoancient: can you point to me what exactly are the availability ratings that MekHQ AtB is using for parts? I want to change the table for the next update to use the same.
Against-the-Bot Campaign Rules:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/campaign-rules-against-the-bot-thread-4/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fireangel: hey, it's BT; nothing happens without a sinister reason or a healthy dose of stupid pills

consequences: nothing explains Fasanomics. Any attempt to do so generally results in the bandaid on the sucking chest wound turning out to be a carnivorous lifeform that only makes the bleeding worse.

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #31 on: 20 April 2015, 12:21:20 »
Suggestions:

1)  The Life path system looks good, but clans, WoB, and solaris need some love in there.
2)  Origins for all troops done automatically.  Especially important when dealing with clans.
3)  Modifiers for unit size (based on number of combat units, not lances).  It just doesn't make sense that my regiment would attract the same amount of new hires that a company would.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 22 April 2015, 12:32:40 »
When the MekHq code gets written the AtB codes should call up the random planet generator used by the contract generator to assign pilots a random home world.

Arkaris

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 22 April 2015, 20:14:22 »
When the MekHq code gets written the AtB codes should call up the random planet generator used by the contract generator to assign pilots a random home world.

I like this idea, and it really should not be that hard to implement.  Where it might get tricky is where planets change hands during mechwarriors lifetimes.  So along the Draconis Combine (and similar other stretches of the IS/Clanspace) where planets have changed hands within the same year.

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #34 on: 22 April 2015, 20:34:12 »
The contract generator selects planets from the border area between the two factions, but it would not be a hard thing to build a list of planets controlled by the character's faction on the date of birth then select one.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 22 April 2015, 20:45:58 »
How would you factor in Mercs and the occasional Solaris VII player?
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Makinus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 23 April 2015, 07:26:37 »
Add a percentage chance for Mercenaries and Solarians... Maybe with a higher chance the closer to a merc hall / Solaris VII
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/campaign-rules-against-the-bot-thread-4/
Fireangel: hey, it's BT; nothing happens without a sinister reason or a healthy dose of stupid pills

consequences: nothing explains Fasanomics. Any attempt to do so generally results in the bandaid on the sucking chest wound turning out to be a carnivorous lifeform that only makes the bleeding worse.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 23 April 2015, 07:54:14 »
I would also suggest that it work for all 'jobs'.  That way you could pick up a Clan Mech Tech.  Get rid of the penalty if you have some clan tech in your unit.

Arkaris

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 23 April 2015, 14:28:29 »
How would you factor in Mercs and the occasional Solaris VII player?

Well Mercs would be randomly chosen with a lesser chance for DC mercs, and Solaris VII you could just randomly choose a faction and then select a planet from that faction.  Neither one should be a problem really.  I would think the real problem would come from Clanners, is every Jaguar born on Huntress?... and for those clans that only own part of a planet?

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 23 April 2015, 14:43:47 »
A Clanner could be freeborn, too, so that could place them anywhere.  Trueborns probably should have a more restricted set of potential home planets.
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #40 on: 23 April 2015, 16:19:54 »
A Clanner could also be abtakha originating in another Clan (or in very rare instances in the Inner Sphere). The Bloodname generator takes this into account with a 1/20 chance of changing Clans before selecting.

Is there any benefit to determining home planet other than a nice bit of background detail? If that's the only reason to do it then I see no reason to get too detailed with the method as long as we can be sure the results pass a sanity check.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 23 April 2015, 17:13:01 »
Well, technically according to the rules, it affects the starting unit (if there is one).  Former Solaris VII players get customized units as well (more reason to have an origin planet before S7).  Clanners get bonuses and penalties and Clan technicians don't have the penalty in dealing with clan tech.  Early on in the 50's and past Comstar (and later WoB) have a higher chance of coming with IS2 level equipment.

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #42 on: 23 April 2015, 20:34:58 »
Well, technically according to the rules, it affects the starting unit (if there is one).  Former Solaris VII players get customized units as well (more reason to have an origin planet before S7).  Clanners get bonuses and penalties and Clan technicians don't have the penalty in dealing with clan tech.  Early on in the 50's and past Comstar (and later WoB) have a higher chance of coming with IS2 level equipment.
MHQ already accounts for this in the personnel market when generating a recruit's unit. It doesn' account for this when generating the recruit, but ought to. Adding an entry to the personnel log would also be a way to account for the possibility of Solaris VII players, which I left out of the possibilities because I couldn't come up with an elegant way of presenting the player with the option to customize. What I don't see is what advantage it would be to go beyond the faction and determine the specific planet of origin.

Vampire_Seraphin

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 23 April 2015, 20:41:33 »
MHQ already accounts for this in the personnel market when generating a recruit's unit. It doesn' account for this when generating the recruit, but ought to. Adding an entry to the personnel log would also be a way to account for the possibility of Solaris VII players, which I left out of the possibilities because I couldn't come up with an elegant way of presenting the player with the option to customize. What I don't see is what advantage it would be to go beyond the faction and determine the specific planet of origin.

From a story perspective its an interesting bit to add for someone running a lore/rp heavy campaign and using MekHq to do the accounting. It also shouldn't be to hard to do since there is already a database of planets names and a random call function.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 23 April 2015, 21:24:35 »
Oh, specific planet?  Other than just getting a quasi realistic mix of recruits (Liao should provide much less recruits than Kurita just from a pure size point of view), I don't see much help other than a role play POV.

calamity

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 25 April 2015, 00:31:47 »
I agree with pfarland, this seems neat and useful for RP purposes, but is purely fluff.  (Not that I mind fluff.  Most of my campaigns are quite fluffy. O0 In fact, I think I'll call my next unit the Fleecing Fusiliers  ;D)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 25 April 2015, 10:44:09 »
I agree with pfarland, this seems neat and useful for RP purposes, but is purely fluff.  (Not that I mind fluff.  Most of my campaigns are quite fluffy. O0 In fact, I think I'll call my next unit the Fleecing Fusiliers  ;D)
got you beat...my unit is called Fluffy Bunnies. mechs sport playboy bunnies paint scheme and pilots are required to wear bunny ears during in and out of their mechs...male and female..and they are really mean.

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 25 April 2015, 11:06:02 »
Ah.  So mock their unit outfits at our peril, eh?
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

calamity

• Recruit
« Reply #48 on: 25 April 2015, 14:45:10 »
My last campaign was the Killer Bunnies.  Pastel Pink paint job and all 'Mechs had to have jump jets.  ;)

On a different note, is there a way to set up a noble landhold style game without rolling all the battle specifics out of the spreadsheet?  Would probably be alot of work, but it would be nice to be able to roll specifics for a manually added scenerio.  Maybe add a dropdown for mission type and a "Roll scenerio" button to the new/edit scenerio dialog.  I inevitably end up forgetting to change one of the weather settings or something if I do it manually.  :P

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #49 on: 25 April 2015, 21:22:38 »
On a different note, is there a way to set up a noble landhold style game without rolling all the battle specifics out of the spreadsheet?  Would probably be alot of work, but it would be nice to be able to roll specifics for a manually added scenerio.  Maybe add a dropdown for mission type and a "Roll scenerio" button to the new/edit scenerio dialog.  I inevitably end up forgetting to change one of the weather settings or something if I do it manually.  :P
That's way down on the list of priorities.

Dogstar34

• Recruit
« Reply #50 on: 26 April 2015, 06:32:01 »
I am at the end of my contract.  I processed it, my personnel is squared away, and now I need a new contract.  None were offered at the beginning of the month, should I just wait out a month where I am (Fellanin II, on the DC/FS border where my previous assignment took place) or should I be returning to a hiring hall (e.g. Northwind, Galatea, etc) to get a new contract?

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 26 April 2015, 08:30:50 »
Depends.  At the hall you have better chances and better luck with personnel.  You don't HAVE to though.  My last one I found the 'right' contract .   

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 07 May 2015, 22:10:31 »
In one game I was on my way back to a hiring hall when at the beginning of the month a decent contract generated.  I accepted and changed my "jump plan". 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Ironboot

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 08 May 2015, 06:17:30 »
Question about contract generation... 

Does everyone hire the Astech/medic pools and then roll for a contract?   I noticed my Dragoons rating goes from D (with out them) to a C (with them).

Also when not in a contract and on a planet does everyone still hire Astechs to help with repairs?

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 08 May 2015, 09:09:58 »
@ Purple Dragon - Done that myself.

@ Ironboot - I can't speak for everyone, but I do.  I make sure my whole unit is in the TOE and all teams topped off.  That will ALL effect your rating.  Some positively, some negatively.  You could game it by watching what has a negative effect, but I don't.

As for keeping Astechs/hiring outside of contracts, I do as well.  Though I'm constantly customizing units and repairing damage to units I couldn't get to during the contract.  By the time I get everything finished (if I'm lucky) it's time for the next contract.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 08 May 2015, 09:49:32 »
Yes, if you release your astechs between contracts, you will hurt the tech portion of your unit rating. So, if you release them there's a chance it will drop your overall rating enough that your contract options/terms will be worse.

I wouldn't consider that gaming the system so much as knowing that you can either pay some minimal salaries or take potentially worse/fewer contracts.

Makinus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 08 May 2015, 13:20:23 »
The ruleset assumes that you keep astech and medic pools always topped off....

I noticed that MekHQ is not doing the contract generation exactly right, as in faction capitals it should generate, at a minimum, 1 contract with the faction as the employer, even if the normal roll for contract results in 0 contracts... both in Atreus and Tharkad (did not test other capitals), sometimes i get no contracts... when that happens i generate contracts until one with the faction as employer shows up...

Ironboot

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 08 May 2015, 17:35:21 »
Thank you for the feed back guys! :)

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 09 May 2015, 19:34:23 »
Yes, if you release your astechs between contracts, you will hurt the tech portion of your unit rating. So, if you release them there's a chance it will drop your overall rating enough that your contract options/terms will be worse.

I wouldn't consider that gaming the system so much as knowing that you can either pay some minimal salaries or take potentially worse/fewer contracts.

I was talking about gaming the system in the regards that by taking certain units out of the TOE you can raise your rating.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 09 May 2015, 22:31:00 »
ok question is it better to hire astechs in bulk or as individuals?
i mean over all quality of their work not money you pay for them
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!