Author Topic: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4  (Read 221532 times)

SenorPez

• Recruit
Re: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4
« Reply #90 on: 15 June 2015, 19:19:04 »
What determines OpFor BV? In my first two missions, against Green/E Pirates, they've absolutely overwhelmed me in terms of BV. Is it because I added lances after accepting the contract? Or just unlucky rolls? (Note: Double OpFor vehicles is UNCHECKED.)

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #91 on: 15 June 2015, 21:39:32 »
The Opfor in AtB is only balanced against your lance's weight class, and that only determines the weight class of the enemy lances. Their skills are random based on the skill level determined by the contract and their tech level is determined by the RAT and faction.

It's easy to be overwhelmed, especially if you face WoB or clans (they get more untis per lance with nothing to counterbalance that) or have 'double enemy vehicles' turned on.

I've found that I need to turn the campaign difficulty down to ultra green, turn off doubling vehicles and not go after the clans if I want to not crush my tablet's poor CPU with too many princessbot units, which sadly leaves the campaign a tad too easy for me :(

Different topic:
I installed the new version that just came out (3.14 MekHQ) and despite the fix list, I still get the recruitment of the opfor bug. Is that because I continued the old savegame or did I do something wrong?

I also found that in the new version, I always have to replace the bot in  chase(defender) scenario because the bot won't ever even try to escape.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 16 June 2015, 04:06:05 »
Different topic:

I also found that in the new version, I always have to replace the bot in  chase(defender) scenario because the bot won't ever even try to escape.

I am finding this as well.  I have not replaced the bot yet as it usually works to my advantage since I can not deploy in the same location as the bot (using double blind).  However, if you damage a unit enough, that unit will then try to withdraw under the forced withdrawal rules.
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Ironboot

• Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 16 June 2015, 05:21:18 »
What is the tonnage of your lances?  Light is 0-130, Medium is 131-200, Heavy 201-280 and Assault 281-390.

If you take a look at AtB excel rules 2.31 on the Battle tab lines 173 to 187 Heavy/Assault lances do have a good chance of facing a company of mechs/tanks.

Makinus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 16 June 2015, 06:22:06 »
I too, frequently get overwhelmed byt the opfor... but remember that to win most battles you do not need to destroy all enemy units, but frequently only 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 of the enemy, or have other win conditions that can be achieved even without destroying any enemy unit.

Note, however, that i´m a very crappy player.... my main strategy is to mob the enemy in barbarian horde style and there are several AtB players around that can curbstomp Elite/A bots using Green/F forces (i´m looking at you Kwic) - AtB tried to achieve a balance that would be fun and challenging both for bad players (like myself) and experts....

Some suggestions if you are having difficulties:
- turn off the option for doubling vehicle numbers
- never accept a contract with Veteran/Elite opfors
- accept only low attrition contracts (Garrisions, Cadre, Security Duty, etc.).
- remember that Pirates and Rebels normally have lower skill levels than other opfors, and are the ideal enemy for the starting player.
- if playing on ages where CASE is not available, try to have only mechs with energy weapons - ammo explosions are one of the most common causes of losing units.
- try to not deploy Assault lances (weight above 280 tons) or Light lances (below 130 tons) - one will generate too big a number of opfors and the other will gave a too low tonnage on the field to handle many missions. I always try to have Scout/Training lances at Medium tonnage and other lance types at Heavy tonnage.
Against-the-Bot Campaign Rules:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/campaign-rules-against-the-bot-thread-4/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fireangel: hey, it's BT; nothing happens without a sinister reason or a healthy dose of stupid pills

consequences: nothing explains Fasanomics. Any attempt to do so generally results in the bandaid on the sucking chest wound turning out to be a carnivorous lifeform that only makes the bleeding worse.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #95 on: 16 June 2015, 10:19:14 »
Most importantly, try to keep you overall lances at or near the top of their tonnage brackets.  If you have a lance that's 5 tons overweight for Light, and is therefore counted as a Medium, you're facing opposition geared for a high-end Medium lance, not a "just above Light" one.  The percentage difference is not as severe between a Heavy lance and an Assault, so an almost-Light lance against Medium opposition (which can consist of mostly Heavies for the OPFOR, but not for the player) is a worst-case situation.

In essence, the 'Bot can run heavier 'Mechs than the player, even for the same weight class, and has the potential to bring in a supporting lance on top of that.  If you can bring in your own support lance, that can even it up; if not, you're outgunned by a lot, and have to resort to fancy maneuvering to meet the victory conditions, or pull a tactical retreat and try to make up for the loss later, rather than lose a lot of valuable personnel and equipment.

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #96 on: 16 June 2015, 10:37:26 »
I normally do everything on Sundays after any battles. Note that MekHQ now automates the majority of this.

I like this idea. Granted, the Training lance will get training XP immediately, which isn't exactly Rules As Written, but they're still stuck in the Training Lance for the rest of the week.

I seem to have the same issue. But I also took the advice of another poster, and frequently replace the bot when battle conditions change. It seems to produce a bit more dynamic of a battle. Once the bot has lost, I switch them to retreat, with a little massaging of the behavioral parameters to reflect how badly things might be going... a "Hold the Line" retreat is different than a "The Chase" retreat, for example. It's only fair that I get to take potshots at them, since they do the same thing when I decide to flee.

As for the OpFor being overwhelming, it's probably a bit of confirmation bias, but my latest campaign (in the latest version), I seem to be getting overwhelmed. It might be the weight bracket issue; I'd never considered that!

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 16 June 2015, 12:06:52 »
I have organized my units in the TO&E in a way that it usually includes support forces in the battles I fight.  The way I do this is thus:...

Blue Demons = Lance name. 
      under that force is  the infantry
               under that is BD Tnk (this is where tanks go)
                          under that is BD 'Mech (where you put the 'mechs)

Now, with this organization, anything that gets a scenario automatically includes the forces under it.  So if BD 'Mech gets a scenario, they are on their own. 
However, if BD Tnk gets one, it includes the 'mechs with them. 

The only thing this does not work with is the special missions and the large battles where you have to assign individual units instead of forces.   
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #98 on: 19 June 2015, 11:00:53 »
Can someone help me understand parts availability? I've been trying to crack the code, but to no avail. It makes me not ever end contracts, since I can't reliably predict what parts I'll be able to get in the time I'm SUPPOSED to spend healing, refitting, and repairing. Let alone taking anything but Pirate Hunting, since I can't stockpile.

Example #1:
I'm on a Pirate Hunting mission in 3025. I have a Regular Admin/Logistics. The way I'm reading the AtB rules says that my availability should be 2: Pirate Hunting missions are availability level 3, 3025 imposes a -1 penalty. However, when I go to Purchase Parts in MekHQ, there doesn't seem to be anything I can't buy; the only things labeled "Impossible" is technology that's not been invented yet. I can get Level 3 lasers, and even a Level 4 PPC. Huzzah! PPCs for all! Invest in PPC futures!

Example #2:
I finish that Pirate Hunting mission. Due to personnel defections, I drop down to Dragoon's Rating D. Thanks to a <strike>bribe</strike> performance bonus, my Regular Admin/Logistics stays on. The way I'm reading the AtB rules says that my availability should be 0: Rating D is availability 1, Regular Admin is no modifier, and 3025 imposes a -1 penalty. Things here are weird. I can buy Level 0 Armor (Commercial) but not Level 0 Hatchets. I can buy Level 1 ACs but not Level 1 Actuators. I can buy Level 3 Fusion Engines but not Level 2 Jump Jets.

Seriously, what the hell?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 19 June 2015, 11:25:11 »
Parts availability does not exactly conform to the AtB rules. Instead IIRC it uses Era availability. This is because Neoancient would have had to create a whole new database assigning the AtB level codes to everything. Which as you can imagine would be a stupendous PITA.

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #100 on: 19 June 2015, 11:56:41 »
Parts availability does not exactly conform to the AtB rules. Instead IIRC it uses Era availability. This is because Neoancient would have had to create a whole new database assigning the AtB level codes to everything. Which as you can imagine would be a stupendous PITA.

Okay, that does sound like a total waste of time. Am I safe in assuming that using Era Availability is balanced enough? Are the tables in the Tech Manual, or is it somewhere else, like StratOps or FM:M? My goal is basically understanding how long to linger on an Early Victory contract to get parts, and when to jump ship to deal with retirements and such before finding new employment.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 19 June 2015, 13:57:45 »
Okay, that does sound like a total waste of time. Am I safe in assuming that using Era Availability is balanced enough? Are the tables in the Tech Manual, or is it somewhere else, like StratOps or FM:M? My goal is basically understanding how long to linger on an Early Victory contract to get parts, and when to jump ship to deal with retirements and such before finding new employment.

Era availability is extremely well documented by which I mean... perfectly.

You should be buying parts all the time at least initially. A strategy that I have used and promoted constantly on this Board is...

Turn off the restriction for your first contract (We can assume your Quartermaster isn't a total idiot but you the human player probably are about what stuff to stockpile). Buy multiples of anything you end up needing. Just before you end your contract buy like 3 to 5 of every actuator and Mech Part like Left Leg for every unit you have in YOUR force. Depending on force size you can burn through armor like crazy. So stockpile a stupendous amount. Then make sure you buy more all the time. Turn the restriction back on. End Contract.

When you manage to Capture/Salvage vehicles like SRM Carriers, LRM Carriers, etc strip them of armor, ammo, and weapons then sell the wreckage. You will never need the engine, turret, stabilizer, etc of a Vehicle for repairs.

Finally, try to quickly shift to a force with a limited number of tonnages. I'm in year 3 of this campaign, contract 3, I have 75, 70, 65, 55, 45, and 35 ton units in my ToE. For those tonnages I have all the actuator and body parts in sometimes insane piles.

Using these strategies it becomes abundantly clear what you need and how much of it without making yourself insane when you start a Campaign.

Hope this helps!

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #102 on: 20 June 2015, 10:59:33 »
Thanks! That's really helpful!

One potentially super-n00b question: How DO I unload weapons in MekHQ? As near as I can see, the only way to strip ammo from a vehicle or send a mech into the field without that pesky and dangerous and useless Machine Gun ammo is to Salvage the "Ammo Bay" part? That feels like I'm missing something; can't I just tell my techs, "pull all that ammo out of there and leave it empty?"

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #103 on: 20 June 2015, 20:13:50 »
I don't think it's possible?
You can, I believe, turn on the option to dump ammo in the MegaMek lobby and then just never reload the bins, but the ammo dumped this way is lost.

It would be nice if MekHQ had a 'none' option for ammo swapping. If nothing else, it would mean your mechs in long term repair aren't hogging any precious their still active friends are running dry on.

Kippeth

• Recruit
« Reply #104 on: 21 June 2015, 03:45:37 »
Hi

im looking to start playing this again after a busy 6 months. Last time i played there was a custom build of MekHQ and Megamek that was being used. It worked quite nicely i could get my friends to connect give them the units then when the match ended MekHQ still picked up on all the units.

Does anyone know what im on about? i foolishly forgot to save the link last year.

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #105 on: 21 June 2015, 07:47:36 »
Hi

im looking to start playing this again after a busy 6 months. Last time i played there was a custom build of MekHQ and Megamek that was being used. It worked quite nicely i could get my friends to connect give them the units then when the match ended MekHQ still picked up on all the units.

Does anyone know what im on about? i foolishly forgot to save the link last year.

The custom builds are hosted on my emporium [see signature], however they aren't truly custom anymore now that I have full release privleges for all 3 softwares. Now my releases are just "value added" stuff because they contain a huge selection of camo, portraits, extra units, and extra maps.

SenorPez

• Recruit
« Reply #106 on: 23 June 2015, 12:44:48 »
What's the order of operations for rolls? I'm asking because my current contract OpFor just went to "Rout," but still generated a (non-special) battle. Should I just delete that battle, or do the weekly battle rolls come first?

... I only ask because, I'm surprised they routed. Month #1 I was a whirlwind of death and destruction. Month #2 the pirates fought back with hugely unbalanced OpFors and I lost a lot of battles. Yet they routed. But if I lose this "death knell" battle, my contract goes from success to failure. :\

Also, does MekHQ support Player reinforcement? I'm thinking no, since I've never ONCE had my Scout Lance reinforce my main force, so I'm thinking there's no point, unless you want to blood some guys, to actually "Scouting". The whole point of a Scout Lance should be "lots of action," be it through their higher probability of a battle or their higher chance to reinforce another battle.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 23 June 2015, 13:49:42 »
What's the order of operations for rolls? I'm asking because my current contract OpFor just went to "Rout," but still generated a (non-special) battle. Should I just delete that battle, or do the weekly battle rolls come first?

... I only ask because, I'm surprised they routed. Month #1 I was a whirlwind of death and destruction. Month #2 the pirates fought back with hugely unbalanced OpFors and I lost a lot of battles. Yet they routed. But if I lose this "death knell" battle, my contract goes from success to failure. :\

Also, does MekHQ support Player reinforcement? I'm thinking no, since I've never ONCE had my Scout Lance reinforce my main force, so I'm thinking there's no point, unless you want to blood some guys, to actually "Scouting". The whole point of a Scout Lance should be "lots of action," be it through their higher probability of a battle or their higher chance to reinforce another battle.

This occurs because battles are rolled for on Monday but on the first of the month the morale check is made. Personally, I think it makes sense to delete the battle. I'm not sure there has ever been a ruling on this though.

MHQ doesn't do the Reinforce rolls. You will have to do them yourself. Remember Fight Lances can reinforce as well.

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 24 June 2015, 08:56:10 »
I just gave up on my latest campaign when it went from a mostly successful contract to a "base attack" by massive forces against my light 'Mech lance (my lance of light vehicles failed their support roll).  I had the support of roughly two lances of allied and civilian light/medium 'Mechs, vehicles, and gun emplacements, but the opposition was mostly heavy 'Mechs, and included a Stalker and an Orion.  Sorry, but when my side is outnumbered 3:2 (with me controlling less than half of it), averages about half their tonnage, and my pilots and vehicle crews are at a lower average skill level (mine are a mix of Green/Regular, theirs are mostly Veteran in a supposedly "Green" force), it's just not a playable mission.  You don't take on a Stalker, Orion, Rifleman, and Dragon with an already damaged Phoenix Hawk, Firestarter, Locust, and Stinger, and still have enough left to deal with the remaining enemy Lights and Mediums.  My ally's weak units seem to get chewed up and spit out one at a time in senseless single attacks against a mob, doing practically no damage in return.  Result: automatic contract loss after about a dozen totally one-sided and badly failed attempts to get through it.

Looking at the force makeup, it appears likely to be a "nearly worst case" set of rolls, where my Light unit probably generated a "Medium" lance in opposition, which in this case ended up as something like a mix of Light, 2 Mediums, and Heavy, plus a vehicle lance, and the opponent then got a reinforcement group that qualified as Heavy, with a Medium, 2 Heavies, and an Assault.  Their BV is just over double the combined BVs of the defenders, since the defending allies ended up being generated as a mostly worthless pile of trash, especially in the unimaginative hands of the AI.

Note that if the player fields a lance with 4 high-end units in a weight class, it counts as the next higher weight class (3 Jenners and a Spider would count as a "Medium" lance, without having a single Medium 'Mech), yet the AI can potentially field a unit with only one unit in its weight class and the 3 others in the next higher class (a Jenner, Wolverine, Dervish, and Griffin could be considered "Light").  The AI can also randomly field either that same class or one weight class higher, and may end up with reinforcements.  That adds up to a case such as your 130 tons or less of 'Mechs up against up to 290 tons of opposition, PLUS reinforcements.  If you're not at the top end of your weight allowance, and slip into the low end of the next bracket, it's worse.  It's potentially stacked up to way beyond 3:1 tonnage odds against the player (possibly 5:1 or 10:1 if the reinforcements end up heavier than the original force), which far more than counterbalances the inability of the AI to win an even battle.

The AtB idea is great, but the implementation leaves something to be desired.  I like a bit of randomness and odds that can vary from slightly in my favor to somewhat against, but not turkey-shoots for either side.  In warfare, if you can't field a force at least theoretically capable of winning, you avoid battle until you can engage on more even terms, or else surrender, because you're just throwing lives away for nothing.  Few historical battles were "balanced", but few were absolutely one-sided unless the one force was trapped or otherwise had no alternative but to engage.  The advantage of a lighter and faster force is that they're difficult for a superior opponent to force them to fight.  Unfortunately, the current rules leave far too many cases where you simply have to say "no" and suffer the "breach of contract", where no realistic employer (the DCMS might not be all that realistic about it) would demand that you send your light recon force to die in a suicidal slaughter against heavier units with no hope of victory.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2015, 09:47:00 by Kovax »

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 24 June 2015, 10:12:34 »
In warfare, if you can't field a force at least theoretically capable of winning, you avoid battle until you can engage on more even terms, or else surrender, because you're just throwing lives away for nothing.

I don't use AtB, but you always have the option to skip a battle and take the penalty towards your overall contract, as far as I know. People with more experience can explain it better but AtB doesn't always provide 'winnable' situations, especially early on.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 24 June 2015, 10:43:45 »
I don't use AtB, but you always have the option to skip a battle and take the penalty towards your overall contract, as far as I know. People with more experience can explain it better but AtB doesn't always provide 'winnable' situations, especially early on.

A few things, yes you will face unwinnable battles. This is by design and not an accident. It sucks that you are facing an unwinnable Base Attack (Defense) but those are the breaks.

MHQ doesn't roll reinforcements for you. Roll them yourself, any Fight or Scout Lance that doesn't have a mission that week can be used.

Infantry can be used to allow you to simply delete any battle of the week. You will have to make the rolls yourself since it isn't implemented in MHQ yet.

The weight class of Lances is directly from a Canon source. When designing your lances be damn careful about the limits. You will want to be as close to full tonnage in the category as possible.

Finally, using light lances or even assault lances is very dangerous. These two lance types will generate more unwinnable fights.

I hope you find this helpful Kovax.

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #111 on: 24 June 2015, 10:56:09 »
I don't use AtB, but you always have the option to skip a battle and take the penalty towards your overall contract, as far as I know.
...except when it's a base attack.  Lose the battle and it's "Contract failed".

I've occasionally reloaded to Sunday before missions are assigned, but in this case there were two battles.  I did the one, saved the game, and quit for the night.  As I normally do, I deleted most of the large accumulation of saved games except for the most recent and one or two from a ways further back.  Next session, I checked out the second battle and did a double-take when I saw what I was up against.  The previous save that I kept is from around a month and 3-4 battles back.  I can revert to it if I have to, but that means tossing out that whole month and redoing it.  At this point, it probably makes more sense to start over with a significantly larger and more powerful Merc unit that's less fun to play in my personal opinion, since I enjoy lighter and faster-paced play over "turret-tech" and overpowered stuff.

I'd rather run something like a PXH-1, FS-9A, LCT-1V, and STG-3R lance instead of a company of heavies and assaults any day.  Normally, by the time I can field a full company of medium and heavy 'Mechs, it's time to quit and restart because I've lost interest.  Unfortunately, that's about where the AtB rules START to function.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 24 June 2015, 11:28:02 »

I'd rather run something like a PXH-1, FS-9A, LCT-1V, and STG-3R lance instead of a company of heavies and assaults any day.  Normally, by the time I can field a full company of medium and heavy 'Mechs, it's time to quit and restart because I've lost interest.  Unfortunately, that's about where the AtB rules START to function.

Yeah that is the part that sucks about failing Base Attack Defense.

I like fast lances myself but I stay in the Lance Class sweet spot.

You have put considerable thought into what is wrong. Although you might have missed the whole Infantry thing which would have gotten you out of this tight jam. Which is also exactly what this rule is included to do.

Other than that... how would you fix things? Keeping in mind the whole some battles are unwinnable element. What specifically would you change?

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 24 June 2015, 12:12:29 »

So? Fail the contract and move onto the next one. Yes, there will be penalties but sometimes, especially for new units, things go poorly.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #114 on: 24 June 2015, 14:12:40 »
You can also exploit princess in base battles. Just deploy inside a building of durable construction. Even when princess starts shooting at the building you should be able to just sit their and pound the hell out of whoever shows up. Use jump capable mechs whenever possible and train your lance commanders in tactics as much as possible so you win initiative most of the time. Train for night battles too. Add melee SPAs to that and you can win nearly any night battle and kicking your opponent to death with a Spider or Assassin can be great fun. Use inferno rounds if you face off against a lot of vehicles.

Another thing, when dealing with base attacks (as the defender) put the gun emplacements as your units so you can deploy them properly the traitor them back to your ally after deployment.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 24 June 2015, 14:19:46 »
You can also exploit princess in base battles. Just deploy inside a building of durable construction. Even when princess starts shooting at the building you should be able to just sit their and pound the hell out of whoever shows up. Use jump capable mechs whenever possible and train your lance commanders in tactics as much as possible so you win initiative most of the time. Train for night battles too. Add melee SPAs to that and you can win nearly any night battle and kicking your opponent to death with a Spider or Assassin can be great fun. Use inferno rounds if you face off against a lot of vehicles.

Another thing, when dealing with base attacks (as the defender) put the gun emplacements as your units so you can deploy them properly the traitor them back to your ally after deployment.

I know that this is correct but... using tactics that Princess fails on isn't quite the nature of Kovax's post. Yeah this stuff will work but... not nice :)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #116 on: 24 June 2015, 19:10:17 »
When is war ever fair. Exploit your enemy to your benefit. If it saves your men just nuke the pukes (I plan to once I get to that stage of the Age of War. Already got the long tom for it  >:D )

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #117 on: 24 June 2015, 20:45:58 »
It's game, not real war. It's a game you play against the bot. The bot doesn't care if it has fun, so do whatever it takes to make the game fun for yourself.

Opfor too large? Delete some before the game. Mission unfair? Delete it and generate a new one (can you do that, right?). Campaign too easy? Crank up the difficulty!
It's your game.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #118 on: 24 June 2015, 21:25:08 »
Delete it and generate a new one

Not using the AtB part of HQ. No way to roll your own missions inside HQ, though you could use the excel rules to reroll a battle then manually input into HQ. You just wouldn't have all the AtB extras in the scenario. For that you could add a feature request to add that for those who get annoyed with some of the current battles.

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 25 June 2015, 11:01:58 »
I would think that an optional setting to prevent enemy reinforcements or additional lances when they've already got an advantage might go a long way toward balancing it, along with something that boosts the odds of reinforcement if they're too badly outmatched.  "Gee, we're only up by 5:2 on them, don't you think we better call in another lance from somewhere else important on the front?" versus "We're outnumbered here, we NEED support."  Whether it's tonnage or BV, there needs to be some rational limit beyond which the enemy doesn't keep dogpiling more units onto yours, and some minimum below which the enemy either calls for reinforcements or runs away without a fight.  Nobody but a madman engages willingly against insurmountable odds.

Tried again last night, and got one battle with my lance (PXH, FS, LCT, STG plus a DV liaison) against an initial force of HBK, BJ, PXH, CDA and WSP, which was a decent matchup considering the suicidal tendencies of the liaison unit.  Then the  reinforcements arrived, consisting of a lance of medium 'Mechs, which turned it from a hard but very winnable fight into a disaster.

I reloaded back to the Sunday before the week's battles, and got a different fight with a mostly heavy and a medium lance of 'Mechs against me, but no reinforcements.  Again, I'm outnumbered almost 2:1, down by a weight class or TWO (what's considered "Medium" for the player is no constraint for the OPFOR), and out-skilled across the board.  I gave up after 3 tries, in which I was down at least one 'Mech by the end of turn one on each try.  I'll play out a match between a Locust and an Atlas (and win, on occasion), but not a Locust against 2 heavies.

Reloaded again, and got nothing that week, but started the next week off with a scheduled urban fight against a full company of assorted tanks.  The Vedettes don't scare me, but the two Hetzers, SRM carrier, and Saladin really make the cockpit of a 20 ton bug 'Mech seem like a bad place to be.  I'll give it a go, but it's going to take a lot of luck as well as some skill to pull off.  As before, if it stopped at both "outnumbering" and "out-tonning" or at "150% BV" (it could still pit you against more than 150% odds, but wouldn't add another lance beyond that point), and then added nothing further, I'd be up against 2 lances instead of 3: doable but not absurd.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2015, 11:03:44 by Kovax »