Author Topic: Two Guns Blazing's Terrain!  (Read 22063 times)

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
Re: Two Guns Blazing's Terrain!
« Reply #30 on: 02 July 2020, 04:31:18 »
I finished off doing a few more rocky outcroppings and spraying the Plasti-Dip on the last of the road sections, and I also mucked around with some basing for the test buildings.

Below are some pics of a combination of some of the terrain I've completed so far.

John's taken a contract to defend a small outpost from an enemy attack...his early warning equipment has alerted him to sensor trace movement a few km to the North, likely a couple of Mechs and a half dozen armoured vehicles crammed with Infantry, which fits with the enemy strength and composition he was given during his contract briefing. The sensor traces appear to be in an open formation, heading on a bearing to intersect the outpost's location, and he has deployed his Lance in a fairly open formation to avoid any potential artillery strikes getting 2-for-1 lucky, whilst still being able to counter any potential assault, or at least slow it to give him enough time to adjust his plan if needed.

I think that'll do me for a while. I bought a new 3D printer, which should arrive in August some time and once I get that I'll start printing a heap of buildings. The buildings I will focus on will be small stuff rather than a large collection of city terrain sky scrapers etc, stuff that can be used as small military objectives as part of the gaming scenarios and also be thematic to this red planet gaming set-up...under each of the buildings I print-and-paint in the future, I will place a 3mm thick "concrete slab", I think that will add a cool look to the buildings.

I also really want to try a grey paint scheme for the buildings, which I'll do over the next week.

« Last Edit: 02 July 2020, 06:31:57 by Two Guns Blazing »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 02 July 2020, 14:48:16 »
Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 13 July 2020, 18:54:39 »
Have you thought about clear bases so that terrain/buildings/trees let the underlying map bleed through if you change settings?  I guess you love the mojave desert theme though

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 14 July 2020, 07:11:05 »
Have you thought about clear bases so that terrain/buildings/trees let the underlying map bleed through if you change settings?  I guess you love the mojave desert theme though

I did think briefly about clear acrylic bases, and it is a good idea that a lot of people use, but I can't take to it myself. I much prefer to have modelled bases.

I do intend to make other mats, I am working on a grass one now...the trees and roads will suit that perfectly, and I will print out a set of differently shaped hex hills for that, as well as some different rocky outcroppings...

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 14 July 2020, 07:41:26 »
It's clear, it's readable, it's playable and it looks good. That's harder than You may think.
(+)

Tweezer

• Recruit
« Reply #35 on: 26 July 2020, 11:03:52 »
Not sure if I missed it but where did you source the mat itself from? I’ve been looking for a mat which has larger hexes on it to build my terrain for.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 27 July 2020, 00:32:32 »
Not sure if I missed it but where did you source the mat itself from? I’ve been looking for a mat which has larger hexes on it to build my terrain for.

I made the image for the mat myself in Photoshop and Inkscape, and ordered the mat through Deep Cut Studio. They also have a custom mat order function where you can use one of their own images, and choose to have hexes and set the size of those hexes to whatever you like.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 03 August 2020, 06:51:40 »
I am impressed. :thumbsup:

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 02 November 2020, 09:52:22 »
I was supposed to get my new 3D printer in August, but it has only just arrived 4-5 days ago, and now that I have set up the printer and the slicer software profiles how I like, I'm turning my attention back to printing more terrain for my Battletech games...

I want to get a few turrets onto the board, so have started with these, can't remember where I found the models for these now, probably Thingiverse, anyway, what you see here is already halved in size from the original model, but I think it is still too big...those missile tubes look like they house cruise missiles or larger...so I think tomorrow I will halve the size again and see how hey look for scale...

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 02 November 2020, 19:08:51 »
Looks good for an Arrow IV launcher!!  :thumbsup:

What size hex do you have that Wolverine on?
Flat to flat if you could please.

Thanks !!!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 02 November 2020, 19:54:52 »
What size hex do you have that Wolverine on?
Flat to flat if you could please.

50mm flat edge to flat edge...and the material is 2mm thick lasercut black acrylic, I got a whole heap of them cut in bulk which made them fairly cheap, can't remember how much each one works out to be though...

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 02 November 2020, 22:57:28 »
These are reduced in size to 25% of the original model, and measure about 15mm wide x 10mm deep x 15mm high (when the turret is placed on top of the turret base)...really happy with them.

I've now got an 11 hour building print on, a Comms Facility...

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 03 November 2020, 09:54:07 »
I'm happy with how the Small Communications Centre turned out from the Hextech collection. I still have to print the comm array dish for the mounting on the front right of the building, but that won't take long and I'll do that tomorrow...then I'll print out a couple of VTOL landing pads, and perhaps another building and then start painting them up blue like the other couple of buildings I've already done. Altogether, they should make a cool little base as an objective.

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 03 November 2020, 12:16:05 »
These are awesome.  I love seeing cool terrain.  I wish I had the space to do stuff like this. 

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 03 November 2020, 19:26:44 »
50mm flat edge to flat edge...and the material is 2mm thick lasercut black acrylic, I got a whole heap of them cut in bulk which made them fairly cheap, can't remember how much each one works out to be though...

Thanks!!!!

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 09 December 2020, 02:37:10 »
I've been making some of my own buildings to print out on my new printer. These are sized so they fit into and mostly fill the 2" hexes I use. They're meant to be basic utilitarian pre-fab buildings that can be easily and quickly deployed and constructed on planets where there is little other infrastructure...like mining, exploration, scientific or military outposts, as some examples.

They're meant to be anything from barracks/accommodation, warehouses, laboratories, headquarter or operations buildings, vehicles storage/repair or anything along these lines.

They're scaled to be around 6mm and are 25mm high per level, with each level having 2 stories. There are Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 buildings to fill anywhere from 1 to 3 hexes.

They shoud fit in well with the other buildings that I have purchased or downloaded from various sources.

I've started printing them so will have pics of the printed models over the next few days.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 10 December 2020, 08:28:25 »
I've printed a few of the buildings I designed so far, and have just plonked them down on hexes to show fit...pretty happy with them, they should paint up nicely.

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 21 December 2020, 02:51:28 »
Been a bit busy leading up to Xmas, but I've finally got all the buildings printed that I want done for now...I have tomorrow off work so will get out the backyard then and spray them with filler primer ready for painting...

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 21 December 2020, 11:09:44 »
These are reduced in size to 25% of the original model, and measure about 15mm wide x 10mm deep x 15mm high (when the turret is placed on top of the turret base)...really happy with them.

I've now got an 11 hour building print on, a Comms Facility...

LRM5s or 5 medium lasers?
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 22 December 2020, 02:13:56 »
...or 5 medium lasers?

That's a nasty turret...I like it :)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 22 December 2020, 02:27:16 »
also for post 3050 swap one medium for TAG
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #51 on: 20 February 2021, 04:37:53 »
Really slow going on these buildings...still have 2 to paint and then I have to base them...but here are a couple WIP pics. I ended up choosing grey as the main colour scheme for the buildings as I felt it best represented what I want these buildings to be, which is easily deployable prefabricated utilitarian buildings for remote planets to help support various operations, like mining, scientific research, small military outposts etc...also, I wanted a colour that would contrast well against the colours of the other terrain, and a colour that wasn't going to be the primary colour in a colour scheme for any of the miniatures that I will be painting into the future, and I don't plan on doing any mainly grey Mechs.

Just the power generator and control tower to paint (the same buildings that were painted in blue in the pics earlier on in this thread).

« Last Edit: 20 February 2021, 04:51:05 by Two Guns Blazing »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 20 February 2021, 08:08:05 »
The white hightlights look great!  Were you going to jewel the windows?

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 20 February 2021, 22:44:01 »
The white hightlights look great!  Were you going to jewel the windows?

Thanks mate...yeah, I may revisit the windows at a later date and do some extra details...at the moment they have a blue wash to give them a tinted-against-the-sun look, but they would look nice with some corner highlights...

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 13 October 2021, 06:28:46 »

Whoops!!!

This warning needs immediate attention!!!

So nearly 8 months have passed since I posted in here...like many gamers, I drift from one game system to another at the mercy of my fickle desires...I have been playing the odd game of CBT with my younger son, who's 24, in fact we played a small game the other day...a Lance of Mercs raiding a moon-based mining facility under the protection of the Ghost Bears...it was a fun game...

My terrain-making has slowed to zero of late...mostly thanks to Aeronautica Imperialis and a certain Dungeon Crawler, however my desire to make and paint more Battletech terrain has returned, and I am currently catching up on painting a few items I printed ages ago, whilst at the same time heavily modifying a new terrain piece I purchased off the internet a week ago. I am actually going to make two of these...Agri-Domes, one with trees in it and the other with crops. They are Level 2 and will cover 7 of my 2" hexes fairly well and even though there are quite a few gaps in the dome structure, I'll treat them as blocking terrain.

The little green block in the doorway, is a 6' tall human (6mm tall block).

They are printed in two pieces...the dome itself, and then the base with the trees/crops...then painted and glued together after painting is finished.

I'm going to try and do an FDM print of the dome structure tomorrow and if it works out ok, then that's great, but if it doesn't, I'll do it in resin.

I'm thinking the colour scheme should be white, or very light grey.

« Last Edit: 13 October 2021, 06:30:29 by Two Guns Blazing »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 13 October 2021, 17:49:07 »
Cool project!  I look forward to more pics!  :thumbsup:

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 14 October 2021, 06:46:48 »
Cool project!  I look forward to more pics!  :thumbsup:

Thanks mate :)

Well, the FDM print didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, so I will now print it in resin, which will turn out really well...I just wanted to try FDM first. The pic below shows the finished print, you can see the ring base and the front entrance structure turned out really well, but the actual dome framework is really rough. It would be salvageable if I was prepared to put in a heap of time with some Tamiya Plastic Filler Putty and some sandpaper, but when there is an easier option like resin printing, I won't bother putting the effort in to salvage this piece. Pics of a resin printed one soon-ish.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 14 October 2021, 17:58:50 »
It looks like it was built in the Periphery... should be easy enough to chalk it up to material availability or some such... :)

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 15 October 2021, 00:34:29 »
It looks like it was built in the Periphery... should be easy enough to chalk it up to material availability or some such... :)

Ahahahahaha, yes, perhaps it could be a Periphery Thunderdome...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 15 October 2021, 03:19:19 »
Excellent idea!  :D