Author Topic: Spoil me on the end of Dark Age  (Read 20629 times)

woodearth

• Private
  • El Mago
Spoil me on the end of Dark Age
« on: 08 January 2014, 02:17:38 »
What happened in the end? Who triggered the blackout? Is Fortress Republic here to stay? How was everything wrapped up? What is the state of the universe at end?
Angeles Arcanos

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Spoil me on the end of Dark Age
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2014, 03:28:42 »
What happened in the end?

Depends on your definition of end.  At the current point in the storyline, the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth are suffering beatdowns, with their enemies riding high.

Who triggered the blackout?

We dunno.  More importantly, Exarch Stone doesn't know.

Is Fortress Republic here to stay?

Considering that the next major book due to come out bears the title "The ilClan," and the fact that the title goes to the first Clan to conquer Terra...probably not.

How was everything wrapped up?

Everything is still in progress.  FM:3145 and Era Report: 3145 update us on the current state of affairs, which is essentially that the old Kapteyn Accord states are doin' dandy with the Republic locked away behind its...thingy...

What is the state of the universe at the end?

<Kosh> Fire! </Kosh>
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2014, 03:32:30 »
What happened in the end? Who triggered the blackout? Is Fortress Republic here to stay? How was everything wrapped up? What is the state of the universe at end?

You may be either disappointed or relieved to learn that we are still finding out what happened at the end of the Dark Age (as Mendrugo pointed out while I was typing this) ... the identity of the force that triggered the blackout will not be revealed until a later time ... (post-ilClan, possibly - anyone else remember that response?). Fortress Republic will come down by 3150, apparently ... it was intended to buy the Republic time to regroup and put together enough military power to take back their territory. Some highlights ... by 3145, the Fortress is still in place, with the Wolf Empire and Jade Falcons positioned to strike ... and House Kurita and Liao have at least partially turned their attention to the FedSuns after taking huge bites out of the Republic. The Fedsuns have lost two First Princes (good riddance to the second one), and Julian Davion is coming back from fighting Falcons to take the throne. The Lyrans have lost an Archon and a chunk of territory to the Wolves and Falcons, and the FWL reformed with help from the Spirit Cats and Sea Foxes, which are now actually part of the FWL. House Kurita purged the Nova Cats, so that they no longer exist as a Clan, and in the process, former Dragon's Fury leader Katana Tormark has been captured and thrown in prison, as she sided with the Cats against new Coordinator Yori Kurita and Warlord Sakamoto ... the Rasalhague Dominion attempted to aid the Republic, but only succeeded in creating the Vega Protectorate, which they later absorbed back into the Dominion ... Jacob Bannson's exact fate is still unknown, I believe, but his Raiders have split off in several directions ... the RotS hunted down the Band of Five within the Fortress. Anastasia Kerensky is finally back with Clan Wolf, but subservient to Alaric ... her Wolf Hunters were running without her when last I heard. Tara Campbell and Damien Redburn are still stuck outside the Wall with the Remnant (a few partial regiments of Republic troops, along with the elite Fidelis and a loose battalion of Highlanders (the rest of whom are either MIA or absorbed into the Fortress military). So ... when we get the ilClan sourcebook, we'll have a little more closure for all the Dark Age factions and personalities, I suspect. Or at least a change in direction for them.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2014, 04:36:55 »
Who triggered the blackout?

We dunno.  More importantly, Exarch Stone doesn't know.

Where do you get that from? All we know from the story in FM3145 is that he claims not to have done them, but nothing about whether he knows who actually did.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2014, 04:38:27 »
Where do you get that from? All we know from the story in FM3145 is that he claims not to have done them, but nothing about whether he knows who actually did.

Fine.  "We dunno.  Stone claims he dunno."

Y'know, he gets an awful lot of mileage out of conveniently being an amnesiac.   ;)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

woodearth

• Private
  • El Mago
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2014, 04:56:20 »
Thanks all for the detail responses. I am a little disappointed especially with the loss of print novels to wrap things up. Oh well still have an in universe reason to use all the minis and paint up some purples ones to boot.
Angeles Arcanos

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2014, 15:57:32 »

Y'know, he gets an awful lot of mileage out of conveniently being an amnesiac.   ;)

And everyone taking him at face value.  "Well, Stone says he doesn't know.  And he is Stone, so why would he lie?"  He gets a lot of mileage from being a legend, and a legend he wrote.  And why would he lie?

Heh.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2014, 16:11:21 »

I think his point is that Stone doesn't say he doesn't know.
Stone says he doesn't know why Exarch Levin put up the Fortress.
And Stone says he didn't cause the Blackout, or any of those other things Tucker complained about, because he was asleep.
Stone never says he doesn't know who caused the Blackout.  Tucker never asks him.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2014, 16:15:21 »
I think his point is that Stone doesn't say he doesn't know.
Stone says he doesn't know why Exarch Levin put up the Fortress.
And Stone says he didn't cause the Blackout, or any of those other things Tucker complained about, because he was asleep.
Stone never says he doesn't know who caused the Blackout.  Tucker never asks him.

Exactamundo!

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2014, 16:20:19 »
Good thing that question would never come up...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2014, 18:29:59 »
Exactamundo!

I was under the impression Victor Steiner Davion has a pretty good idea before he dies.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2014, 18:40:26 »
I was under the impression Victor Steiner Davion has a pretty good idea before he dies.

Victor did it!
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2014, 18:47:32 »

The documents he's working on in Scorpion Jar?  I think that was proof of the senate rebellion.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2014, 19:05:48 »
The documents he's working on in Scorpion Jar?  I think that was proof of the senate rebellion.

That is correct, sir!

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2014, 21:14:30 »
I have to finish it soon. :) I stopped in the middle after a 7 novel stretch.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2014, 15:38:13 »
The Dark Ages are far from over, as the Era has been expanded to cover 3132-3152, with us only getting up to 3145 in fiction so far.  Still a lot of ground to cover.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2014, 16:48:14 »
And everyone taking him at face value.  "Well, Stone says he doesn't know.  And he is Stone, so why would he lie?"  He gets a lot of mileage from being a legend, and a legend he wrote.  And why would he lie?

Heh.

In that little bit of FM3145 fiction, I liked the cold-hearted side to Stone.  Saying he knew about killin' guards with his bare hands, and the sounds of a body dyin', an' all.  There's your peace-loving, BattleMech-scrapping founder, ROTS lovers!  :)
ilClan Wolf - it's about damn time . . .

"Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics." - Worktroll

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2014, 17:16:10 »
I loved it because, like one of our forum go'ers said, it showed the Stone is not a morning person.  ;D
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #18 on: 18 January 2014, 21:31:56 »
The Dark Ages are far from over, as the Era has been expanded to cover 3132-3152, with us only getting up to 3145 in fiction so far.  Still a lot of ground to cover.

Seven Years. Five of them coming up...

Keep in mind though that the ending of Surrender Your Dreams may not count

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2014, 22:08:03 »

Can't forget something you never knew.

;)
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2014, 23:17:41 »
In the novel surrender your dreams they also talk about stone being one bad dude.

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2014, 00:31:27 »
In the novel surrender your dreams they also talk about stone being one bad dude.

In FM3145 he murders one of his friends. After having murdered everyone who knew the location of his hidden lair, IIRC.

Of course he's a bad dude.
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2014, 00:38:00 »
 >:( Watch your mouth!

;D  Just talkin' 'bout Stone!

O0  I can dig it!

Owainfox

• Recruit
  • Matter Doesn't
« Reply #23 on: 08 July 2014, 11:35:49 »
I wouldn't be surprised if CGB becomes the ilclan on a technicality... Invited to join the Republic to keep the 3 "predators at the doorstep" out.

DerangedShadow

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 11 July 2014, 11:08:14 »
Well if you read the e-book "A Bonfire of Worlds", and take that as canonical value then you find out on the very last page that Tucker Harwell finds out that Devlin Stone is the one who initiated the plan that caused the BlackOut.  We also learn that the BlackOut plan was actually created by the Blakists which even they deemed to use as a last resort since it would fry the HPGs.

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #25 on: 11 July 2014, 13:49:37 »
Well if you read the e-book "A Bonfire of Worlds", and take that as canonical value then you find out on the very last page that Tucker Harwell finds out that Devlin Stone is the one who initiated the plan that caused the BlackOut.  We also learn that the BlackOut plan was actually created by the Blakists which even they deemed to use as a last resort since it would fry the HPGs.

I hope it isn't cannon, because there are too many narrative holes in that story.  Why would Stone spend years building up the RotS just to destroy it?  If the Blakists has the ability to knock out the HPG, why wait so long (instead of doing it during the Jihad (several times over)).  I'm more in favour that it was Comstar, or one of the Splinter factions (like the Steel Wolves as an initiative to bring about the ilClan, or Banson's Raiders to gain power), or just a freak accident.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #26 on: 11 July 2014, 14:42:32 »
The story has moved on, check the short story at the beginning of Field Manual: 3145 for the latest developments in Tucker Harwell's quest.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 11 July 2014, 15:09:19 »
If the Blakists has the ability to knock out the HPG, why wait so long (instead of doing it during the Jihad (several times over)).
The answer to that one was in the very files from which Tucker Harwell got his ideas in the first place: Word of Blake had the "Clarion Note" protocol, which boils down to using a Super-HPG to cause the blackout. They explicitly described Clarion Note as a Weapon of Mass Destruction that must not be used except perhaps as a very last resort.

Tucker Harwell comes to believe Stone had something to do with the blackout because Stone, in a public speech, happened to quote passages the WoB files on Clarion Note verbatim. Tucker himself found them in some irradiated and damaged data sticks in the ruins of a destroyed HPG space station in orbit over Luyten 68-28.

To wit: The only evidence linking Stone to the blackout was him quoting parts of secret Clarion Note files in a public speech. By this time, Tucker Harwell had been a WoB prisoner and had been subject to torture, brain surgery, and dangerous levels of radiation. Not to mention having escaped from WoB shortly before, having witnessed the death of his evil sister, and being stranded hiding in the dead hulk of a destroyed orbital station.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2014, 15:12:06 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #28 on: 12 July 2014, 15:43:14 »
That sounds like a novel I need to go back and read. Which one is it?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 12 July 2014, 15:49:10 »
A Bonfire of Worlds.