Author Topic: Master Unit List (MUL) Feedback Thread IV - READ THE FIRST POST  (Read 69119 times)

Scarecrow

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
  • Working 7-5 to feed my Battletech addiction
Re: Master Unit List (MUL) Feedback Thread IV - READ THE FIRST POST
« Reply #330 on: 15 November 2023, 21:18:23 »
I would say yes, but the Stormcrow prime has same armor and structure, TMM 2, and does 5/5/2 and it's cost is 43. TMM 3 should not have a 12 point cost.
I walked to the brink of insanity and looked on its side, then looked on my side and thought, Oh, this will be fun.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #331 on: 15 November 2023, 21:54:23 »
The Men Shen Prime has IF and RCN, both of which cost additional points, and the higher TMM modifies the defensive numbers as well as the offensive numbers.  The extra MV itself also comes with an additional cost.  It is expected for TMM 3 units with good medium range damage to be more expensive than TMM 2 units with similar damage.

That said you appear to be correct that the points cost may be in error.  Doing it up myself, I'm getting 54 PV for the Men Shen Prime.  I'm unsure if my math is off or the Men Shen card is off, so my calculations are presented below.  In either case, the gap between the two shrinks by one PV at most.  It's hard to overstate 1) how effective and 2) how expensive the jump from TMM 2 to TMM3 (and the corresponding increased movement speed) is.

Men Shen Prime:

Attack Damage Factor: 4+(4x2)+1 = 13
Unit Size Factor: (2/2) = 1
Overheat Factor: 0
Offensive Special Ability Factor: 1 (IF1)
Total Offensive Value: 15

Movement Factor: (16/8) = 2
Defensive Special Abilities Factor: 0
Defensive Interaction Rating: [12 (Armor Factor 6x2) + 3 (Structure Factor 3x1)] * 1.75 (Defense Factor 1 + 0.75 for TMM 3) = 26.25
Total Defensive Value: 28.25

Ground Unit Force Bonus: 2 (RCN) + 1 (PRB) = 3
Agile Modifier: 8 (4 Medium range damage * 2 [TMM-1])

Final PV: 15 + 28.25 + 3 + 8 = 54.25, rounds normally to 54.

In contrast, the Stormcrow numbers appear to be accurate.

Stormcrow Prime:

Attack Damage Factor: 5+(5x2)+2 = 17
Unit Size Factor: (2/2) = 1
Overheat Factor: 0
Total Offensive Value: 18

Movement Factor: (12/8) = 1.5
Defensive Special Abilities Factor: 0
Defensive Interaction Rating: [12 (Armor Factor 6x2) + 3 (Structure Factor 3x1)] * 1.2 (Defense Factor 1 + 0.2 for TMM 2) = 18
Total Defensive Value: 19.5

Agile Modifier: 5 (5 Medium range damage * 1 [TMM-1])

Final PV: 18 + 19.5 + 5 = 42.5, rounds normally to 43.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Scarecrow

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
  • Working 7-5 to feed my Battletech addiction
« Reply #332 on: 15 November 2023, 22:06:37 »
Ok, I tried to do the calculations last night and ended up doing it like 4 times and I was getting like 42, but I may have missed something.
I walked to the brink of insanity and looked on its side, then looked on my side and thought, Oh, this will be fun.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #333 on: 15 November 2023, 22:11:36 »
Ok, I tried to do the calculations last night and ended up doing it like 4 times and I was getting like 42, but I may have missed something.

it's useful when questioning the BV or PV of units to post your own calculations. We can't determine if you have found something if we can't see what you've done.

We'll put our top man on figuring out if there is an error here. if it's supposed to have a PV of 54, it would also mean MML's formula is off as well.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #334 on: 15 November 2023, 22:27:14 »
it's useful when questioning the BV or PV of units to post your own calculations. We can't determine if you have found something if we can't see what you've done.

We'll put our top man on figuring out if there is an error here. if it's supposed to have a PV of 54, it would also mean MML's formula is off as well.

Based on my calculations, first place I'd look is to see whether it's rounding up or rounding normally for the final total.  Seems like the most likely place if there is one.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #335 on: 15 November 2023, 23:11:49 »
Defensive Interaction Rating: [12 (Armor Factor 6x2) + 3 (Structure Factor 3x1)] * 1.75 (Defense Factor 1 + 0.75 for TMM 3) = 26.25

round to the nearest half point in this step

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #336 on: 15 November 2023, 23:27:28 »
That would do it.  I saw the note in errata to modify that section (clarifying wording) and mentally interpreted it as "remove this bit".
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #337 on: 16 November 2023, 11:31:59 »
At least three Clan units with Machine Gun Arrays (e.g. Lobo 3, Pariah C, Piranha 4) appear to have BVs as if their clan MGA bvs were calculated with the 0.67 multiplier for Inner Sphere MGAs listed in Tech Manual (~p.317) rather than the 0.1 multiplier listed for Clan MGAs in Tac Ops (p.197).

Here's an example calc of the Pariah C from Mordel (https://mordel.net/tro.php?a=cbm) that has a final value (2,227)  matching the MUL (http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5021/pariah-septicemia-c).

Note the MGA BVs in Model's calc are each 13.4 (5x4x0.67) rather than 2 (5x4x0.1) .

Other Clan MGA-wielding units may be affected -- the three listed are the first and only ones I've checked.

Alternatively, perhaps a TO typo?
« Last Edit: 17 November 2023, 12:25:00 by Bison AIs »

DoubleScion

• Recruit
« Reply #338 on: 18 November 2023, 12:01:47 »
Hi, I hope this is the right place for this info!

I think it looks like the Jenner JR7-F should be added to ComStar's availability on MUL. In the CGL Battle of Tukayyid book on page 152, it describes anti-Elemental Level II formations: "These Level IIs consisted of three Shadow Hawk -2Ht and three Jenner -F BattleMechs, and would be assigned to a Division to respond to heavy concentrations of Elementals anywhere in that Division's operational area." But in the MUL entry below, ComStar is not listed.

Jenner JR7-F:
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1693/jenner-jr7-f

Thanks!

commuterzombie

• Recruit
« Reply #339 on: 04 December 2023, 05:24:31 »
I think it looks like the Jenner JR7-F should be added to ComStar's availability on MUL. In the CGL Battle of Tukayyid book on page 152, it describes anti-Elemental Level II formations: "These Level IIs consisted of three Shadow Hawk -2Ht and three Jenner -F BattleMechs, and would be assigned to a Division to respond to heavy concentrations of Elementals anywhere in that Division's operational area." But in the MUL entry below, ComStar is not listed.

Huh, that sounds like a cool level II to have, I totally missed that it was an option as the Jenner is not listed at all in the Light mech RAT for Comstar and even the special force building notes for the 1st Army 12th Division only mention the JR7-C as an option. I did find that text on p.162 of my 2nd printing Battle for Tukkayyid book (in the ShadowHawk SHD-2Ht readout info) so you'd think it would be mentioned elsewhere. Bit of an oddity that!

Speaking of oddities, I was building out an Assault level II from the same book and noticed that the Alpha Strike card on the MUL for the King Crab KGC-001 only has 4 structure points. Pretty sure it should have 8 structure like the other variants.

http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1773/king-crab-kgc-001

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #340 on: 04 December 2023, 08:32:24 »
XL engine

commuterzombie

• Recruit
« Reply #341 on: 04 December 2023, 10:50:57 »
Oh wow, that's a big structure hit. Guess it's reflecting the greater chance of engine crits without altering crit tables and such? Well, thanks for letting me know it's not a mistake.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #342 on: 04 December 2023, 10:57:23 »
Guess it's reflecting the greater chance of engine crits without altering crit tables and such?

correct

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #343 on: 04 December 2023, 21:37:57 »
From TRO 3145: Mercs, 1st paragraph of the entry-

The Raven merchant caste saw enough
potential in the Gossamer to broker an export
agreement with Clan Sea Fox, leaving the
Alliance to produce the Gossamer and the Foxes
to distribute it. It has proven a wildly successful
export in use throughout the Inner Sphere.

The only limit on sales explicitly mentioned is the Draconis Combine, yet it is not it mercs until ilClan with just the Dragoons.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
« Reply #344 on: 05 December 2023, 14:50:39 »
The Crab-27sl is listed as tech:Advanced but as best I can tell it's plain Standard Lostech. 🤔

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #345 on: 05 December 2023, 15:59:23 »
unsure why it was ever set as advanced. changed to standard

saigan

• Recruit
« Reply #346 on: 08 December 2023, 17:27:46 »
Pike Support Vehicle (Plasma) BV

MUL BV: 892
Rec Guide BV: 1367

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #347 on: 08 December 2023, 17:35:28 »
Pike Support Vehicle (Plasma) BV

MUL BV: 892
Rec Guide BV: 1367

Thanks.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

RickE

• Recruit
« Reply #348 on: 10 December 2023, 14:00:33 »
Is there anything new about the Infantry BV changes resulting from the 2021 Errata of the TechManual (https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/TechManual-TM_22-Tech-InfTables-Rev2021.pdf)? Even though there are only some minor differences with some Units ( e.g http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1436/heavy-infantry , listed as 149 BV, calculated by hand and by MegaMek as 142 BV), there are quite big differences with others like the Clan Heavy Jump Infantry (http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/609/clan-heavy-jump-infantry , listed as 136 BV, calculated by hand and by MegaMek as 278 BV)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #349 on: 10 December 2023, 14:38:47 »
It’s on the to-do list. It requires a significant amount of by-hand calculation to get the numbers right and the people most adept at that sort of thing are busy with other projects.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #350 on: 11 December 2023, 11:59:11 »
While not an errata line item per se, I wanted to clarify something as regards the way in which certain factions are - or are not -covered by their respective Master Unit List entries.

-----

For example: My understanding is that the post-Reaving Goliath Scorpions (be it the Imperio prior to the Hanseatic Crusade, or the Empire thereafter) are not covered by the IS Clan General list - since they aren't in the Inner Sphere or near Periphery, recent acquisitions in the Chaine Cluster notwithstanding. Nor are they covered by the Homeworld Clan General list either - since, whatever might be going on in the Homeworlds post-3095, the Scorpions are no longer a part of it.

So, the MUL listings for the Dark Age-era Imperio, or for the IlClan-era Empire, in and of themselves comprise the most complete set of units known to exist for the Scorpions at the present time of typing - to potentially include any Sea Fox unit types seized by the Scorpions as isorla in 3151, per Spotlight On: Hellion Keshik.

Is this correct?

-----

If so, I wonder if it might be possible to one day approach the Hanseatic League as a would-be MUL faction in a similar manner.

On the one hand, there is data in files such as Objectives: Periphery and Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade which notes certain units which existed in Hansa space at certain points in time. Some of these, such as the Manatee DropShip or the Surtur BattleMech, have been inherited by the Scorpion Empire (or upgraded by them, in the case of the Awesome C) in the wake of the conquest.

But on the other hand, while OTP:HC also notes that the Hansa had, by the eve of the invasion, reached the technology level of the Inner Sphere and near Periphery realms of c. 3067, the League itself remained at a significant remove from the likes of, say, the Magistracy of Canopus or the Taurian Concordat - much as their Goliath Scorpion nemeses were largely isolated from the Council of Six Clans (long-range Seeker quests notwithstanding) during this same time period.

So, might it one day be possible for the Hansa to be considered as a "separate" MUL faction: as in, one which would not be covered by the Periphery General lists (nor, indeed, cause any adjustments to be made to said lists) for the eras in which the League existed, much as has been the case for the Scorpions to date?

Of course, if even this would not make adding the Hansa as a MUL faction any more likely, fair enough...
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 12:03:10 by Nerroth »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #351 on: 11 December 2023, 12:19:01 »
1) There are a few factions that are not attached to a general list. The most prominent of which are Mercs and the imperio / scorpions. It’s  WYSIWYG on their list. They may field some other units not listed, but not in quantities that get them on the list (as is standard policy). 

If you feel something is missing that is indicated to pre present in a canon source, we are happy to review it.

2) more would have to be published on Hansa previous to the crusade.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #352 on: 11 December 2023, 14:25:49 »
1) There are a few factions that are not attached to a general list. The most prominent of which are Mercs and the imperio / scorpions. It’s  WYSIWYG on their list. They may field some other units not listed, but not in quantities that get them on the list (as is standard policy). 

If you feel something is missing that is indicated to pre present in a canon source, we are happy to review it.

So, as a further example:

The Wraith miniature offered in the Alpha Strike Boxed Set is not currently available on the IlClan Era Scorpion MUL listings - but it is listed as a Clan Sea Fox 'Mech in their IlClan Era MUL listings. (Ironically, that same box set also includes a Warhawk, which by the IlClan Era is produced only by the Scorpions!)

So, if a player wishes to (try to) paint one's recently-acquired Wraith mini in some manner of Scorpion colours, there'd be grounds for doing so (claimed as isorla from the Foxes, perhaps) on a gaming tabletop. But for the MUL itself to be modified, a future canon product would have to explicitly state that the Wraith was one of the 'Mech designs acquired as per SO:HK.

Would this be correct?

2) more would have to be published on Hansa previous to the crusade.

Is there a particular threshold the pre-Crusade Hansa would have to reach in order for this to happen?

Not that I expect the Hansa to be looked at again any time soon, granted...
« Last Edit: 11 December 2023, 14:29:08 by Nerroth »

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Buy my new book on Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #353 on: 11 December 2023, 14:33:10 »
Any specifications obtained in the trial in the Chaine Cluster were *just* obtained. There hasn't been enough time to retool a factory to build anything new. Perhaps in the future, but I think it's a bit early to expect their unit availability lists to change.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #354 on: 11 December 2023, 14:57:07 »
1) Players can paint any mech any scheme that they want. Paint has no effect of game rules. Do what makes you happy. Any justifications are player-generated.

But yes, for units to be added to factions, there needs to be canon justification (this includes material we have access to that is not public).

2) there are no thresholds, no.

commuterzombie

• Recruit
« Reply #355 on: 13 December 2023, 06:34:12 »
Is there a problem with the MUL at the moment? Connections to it are timing out and resulting in a 500 error.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #356 on: 13 December 2023, 08:15:09 »
Seems to have worked itself out

CReller

• Recruit
« Reply #357 on: 14 December 2023, 13:44:40 »
RE: Quasar Omnifighter PV

Howdy folks. Is there a reason why the Quasar Omnifighter has a BV on the MUL but no PV associated with the units?

Looking into the source material for the Quasar, the majority of the ASFs added with TRO: Golden Century are missing their PVs.

Thanks in advance!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #358 on: 17 December 2023, 12:29:36 »
there is a small group of units that have recordsheets with BV but no PV. it's on our list

ocherstone

• Sergeant
« Reply #359 on: 19 December 2023, 00:17:37 »
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/4380/issus-2

Per the story "Trial of Possession" beginning on page 70 of Total Warfare, would the Issus 2 be available any earlier than the 3066 the MUL shows? I believe I have the first printing. I haven't verified it in any other printing, assuming canonicity isn't an issue.

Register