Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 147140 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #780 on: 24 June 2020, 10:31:43 »
Books and TV complement each other well. Like Peter Jackson's riffs on Tolkien, the changes work for a tighter TV show.

Holden in the TV show is competent, Alex grew on me, Naomi's actor I find a little weak, but Amos ... damn. The actor has him perfectly.

I agree.  One of the aspects o Avasarala that would be very difficult to translate to the screen is the lightening fast analysis she does.  Like when Soren gave her the faked report that Bobbie was really a Martian intel agent. One tiny facial tic and that was all she needed to see the whole Go board.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #781 on: 26 June 2020, 07:26:48 »
Most recently I have read:

Wounded Tiger by T. Martin Bennett

And I've re-read:

Death's Bright Day and A Sea Without a Shore by David Drake

We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #782 on: 15 July 2020, 02:52:26 »
Lessee, finished off three books recently, waiting for delivery on two more.

Waiting for the Barbarians--About to become a movie with Johnny Depp and Mark Rylance, pandemic willing, so I thought I'd read the book first. An administrator in a colonial border town of a nameless empire has his comfortable/indolent existence turned upside down when internal security forces show up and claim the barbarians are about to attack. Not a comfortable read, but an interesting character study.

This is How You Lose the Time War--Won an award for best novella recently. Epistolary story about two agents, named just Red and Blue, on opposite sides of the titular "Time War" who fall in love with one another through the letters they exchange. The writing, description and inventiveness is top-class, but I found the story at the center rather hollow. It's beautiful writing in the service of not a lot.

https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/2020/06/this-is-how-you-lost-time-war.html

No Country for Old Men--I've heard so many good things about McCarthy so I thought I'd start with this one. Suitably impressed. Interesting style, very VERY specific and concrete language and gives you this feeling of unstoppable, inevitable action. It was interesting to see what had been added, omitted or changed for the movie, as well. It's sort of half a love letter to Texas, which I'll admit didn't do much for me as I've never been there, but the more philosophical bits about you being the culmination of everything you've done made me go "Oooh" and think for a bit. Everyone says I have to read "Blood Meridian" next...

Now waiting for "The City and the City" by China Mieville and "The Quantum Thief" by Finnish author Hannu Rajaniemi. Read an excerpt on Kindle and it seemed like a very fun space opera, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #783 on: 15 July 2020, 03:31:47 »
Recently finished the second Firefly novel The Magnificent Nine , and now about 50 pages into the new Dresden Files book, Peace Talks.

Once I finish that (depending on timing) will either be the third Firefly novel, The Ghost Machine, or the second Avatar Kyoshi novel, Shadows of Kyoshi.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #784 on: 15 July 2020, 05:38:42 »
I've been working my way through Gladwell's David and Goliath.  It's non-fiction, but interesting.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #785 on: 15 July 2020, 09:48:13 »
Recently finished the second Firefly novel The Magnificent Nine , and now about 50 pages into the new Dresden Files book, Peace Talks.

Once I finish that (depending on timing) will either be the third Firefly novel, The Ghost Machine, or the second Avatar Kyoshi novel, Shadows of Kyoshi.

Ruger

You got Peace Talks already?  Did you buy a digital copy?  I'm still waiting on delivery on mine and they're saying to expect it tomorrow.

On the other hand, I did only pay $11 for the hardback edition, so good deal there.
« Last Edit: 15 July 2020, 09:49:57 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #786 on: 15 July 2020, 11:25:48 »
You got Peace Talks already?  Did you buy a digital copy?  I'm still waiting on delivery on mine and they're saying to expect it tomorrow.

On the other hand, I did only pay $11 for the hardback edition, so good deal there.

Ordered the signed hardcover from BAM.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #787 on: 15 July 2020, 12:36:47 »

Ruger
Finished my digital of Peace Talks, too.
This one was a bit disappointing.  Every other novel was a self-contained story that laid the stones for a bigger story.  This one was just the setup for the next.  It was also the shortest since Death Masks. On the other hand, Battleground is due out in 2 months.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #788 on: 15 July 2020, 15:02:25 »
I discovered that I can read kindle ebooks in my phone, and i have been catching up in some battletech here, especially BattleCorps.

FRANK SHERRY, Raiders and Rebels, a history of the golden age of piracy. A very nice and entertaining book to finish my perusal of the piracy period of 1650-1740.

Chaos Born & Chaos Forged. I found them less entertaining than I thought they would be.

Gray Markets. Battlecorps anthology
The Corps. Battlecorps Anthology
First Strike. Battlecorps anthology (do you see a pattern here?)
Edge of the Storm. Stories of Lennox's Light Horse

Now starting Wolves on the Border. I told you I was catching up in old BT fiction.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #789 on: 15 July 2020, 15:31:00 »
I discovered that I can read kindle ebooks in my phone, and i have been catching up in some battletech here, especially BattleCorps.

FRANK SHERRY, Raiders and Rebels, a history of the golden age of piracy. A very nice and entertaining book to finish my perusal of the piracy period of 1650-1740.

Chaos Born & Chaos Forged. I found them less entertaining than I thought they would be.

Gray Markets. Battlecorps anthology
The Corps. Battlecorps Anthology
First Strike. Battlecorps anthology (do you see a pattern here?)
Edge of the Storm. Stories of Lennox's Light Horse

Now starting Wolves on the Border. I told you I was catching up in old BT fiction.
fbreader is free and does other formats than epub try it. and you can use calibre converter to change formats
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #790 on: 17 July 2020, 20:49:52 »

On a lighter note:
- Finally working *all the way* through Hitchiker's Guide. I know I know. It's like when my English professor whispered to his class with shame "I, umm, actually haven't read Moby Dick." It's ok. He's a medievalist.

Don't feel too bad.  I think I read it in 9th grade.  But its like many movies where you really don't need to see it because every nerd in the world quotes it so many times. My last boss EVERY @#%$ing time I or anyone else would say "hey i have a question" his answer was "42"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #791 on: 17 July 2020, 22:49:48 »
Finished my digital of Peace Talks, too.
This one was a bit disappointing.  Every other novel was a self-contained story that laid the stones for a bigger story.  This one was just the setup for the next.  It was also the shortest since Death Masks. On the other hand, Battleground is due out in 2 months.

I just got done reading it myself. The reason it's like that is because it was turning into a Robert Jordan sized doorstopper so the editor suggested splitting it into two books. That's also why Battle Ground is coming out so quickly.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #792 on: 18 July 2020, 02:03:35 »
by sheer accident the book fell into my hand when i was cleaning up my shelves...count of monte christo....had not read that one in 20 odd years...
well no visitors no calls (turning off the phone for the day) stretch on loinger have supply of hot tea on stand by...and some crunchies...i am set for the weekend!
and gods help any one who knock on my door...because downstairs will become rather crowded
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #793 on: 20 July 2020, 16:15:31 »
I just got done reading it myself. The reason it's like that is because it was turning into a Robert Jordan sized doorstopper so the editor suggested splitting it into two books. That's also why Battle Ground is coming out so quickly.
I do hope this doesn't become the new format.  If it does... Well, I'll keep buying them until the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy, or they stop being good.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #794 on: 20 July 2020, 16:59:58 »
Join Together- The Who
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #795 on: 20 July 2020, 17:09:31 »
I do hope this doesn't become the new format.  If it does... Well, I'll keep buying them until the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy, or they stop being good.

I get the feeling that the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy is coming soon.  I mean, given the way things went in Peace Talks there's not a lot of room for further escalation.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #796 on: 21 July 2020, 09:39:41 »
I get the feeling that the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy is coming soon.  I mean, given the way things went in Peace Talks there's not a lot of room for further escalation.
The original plan was a 20 novel story.  Then it became 20 books plus the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy.  Now it's "keep writing until my son graduates college."

As to room for escalation... might I recommend the Lensman series? ;)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #797 on: 21 July 2020, 09:46:03 »
Recently finished Abaddon's Gate.  I kinda of dragged my feet on this one, mostly because I didn't particularly enjoy season 3 of the Expanse. The book worked WAY better.
Although I liked Ashford's characterization in the show.  The show made him a competent, experienced leader, just as committed to the cause as Johnson, Drummer, or Naomi, but with different politics.  He was a man that I could disagree with and butt heads and argue with all day long at work, but at 5:30, I could have a beer with him.   The book's Ashford was a one dimensional, almost cartoonish figure.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #798 on: 21 July 2020, 09:56:39 »
I'm blasting through the 'Murderbot Diaries' by Martha Wells. Pretty basic, but fun. Can't always read hefty tomes of world changing events.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #799 on: 21 July 2020, 10:33:05 »
The original plan was a 20 novel story.  Then it became 20 books plus the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy.  Now it's "keep writing until my son graduates college."

As to room for escalation... might I recommend the Lensman series? ;)

Eh, once you've got an actual god rampaging through Chicago with an army of sea monsters, there's a limit to how much higher you can raise the stakes and actually feel like they're really being raised.

Though the other question I have is: What's going to happen to Karrin?  She's entirely too squishy survive a major fight, so will she end up accepting a Mantle or other power-up or will the inevitable happen?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #800 on: 21 July 2020, 11:18:31 »
Eh, once you've got an actual god rampaging through Chicago with an army of sea monsters, there's a limit to how much higher you can raise the stakes and actually feel like they're really being raised.

Though the other question I have is: What's going to happen to Karrin?  She's entirely too squishy survive a major fight, so will she end up accepting a Mantle or other power-up or will the inevitable happen?
I'm thinking she becomes a Valkyrie or an Einherjaren.

I had to go to the Dresden Wiki to figure out how to spell Einherjaren and I stumbled onto Christmas Eve. Butcher put the full short up on Google Docs.  It's a touching little piece.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2020, 11:32:04 by grimlock1 »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #801 on: 21 July 2020, 15:16:50 »
I'm thinking she becomes a Valkyrie or an Einherjaren.

I had to go to the Dresden Wiki to figure out how to spell Einherjaren and I stumbled onto Christmas Eve. Butcher put the full short up on Google Docs.  It's a touching little piece.

Thanks for the link. Wasn’t aware of that story.

When is that story set is the question though? Almost sounds like after Battleground?

Ruger

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #802 on: 21 July 2020, 17:35:01 »
It isn't possible for it to be set between Peace Talks and Battle Ground.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #803 on: 21 July 2020, 17:54:52 »
Recently finished Abaddon's Gate.  I kinda of dragged my feet on this one, mostly because I didn't particularly enjoy season 3 of the Expanse. The book worked WAY better.
Although I liked Ashford's characterization in the show.  The show made him a competent, experienced leader, just as committed to the cause as Johnson, Drummer, or Naomi, but with different politics.  He was a man that I could disagree with and butt heads and argue with all day long at work, but at 5:30, I could have a beer with him.   The book's Ashford was a one dimensional, almost cartoonish figure.

Yes, Ashford in the TV series was top-notch. Just finished series 4 on the TV show, looking forward to series 5. Also waiting for book 9.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #804 on: 21 July 2020, 18:02:43 »
It isn't possible for it to be set between Peace Talks and Battle Ground.
Pretty sure it's pre-Peace Talks

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #805 on: 21 July 2020, 19:51:39 »
According to the wiki entry, it's set after Peace Talks.  Of course, that's an entry on a fan wiki.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #806 on: 21 July 2020, 21:12:41 »
According to the wiki entry, it's set after Peace Talks.  Of course, that's an entry on a fan wiki.

Well, not that many have died at the end of Peace Talks. That’s why I said it seems like it may belong after Battleground. That plus some of the stuff said in this short story seem to indicate it comes after for instance, Molly saying she would be back at her parents’ place for Christmas, when in Peace Talks, she hadn’t seen them since becoming the Winter Lady, or at least that was the impression I got. Not to mention the “tens of thousands injured and thousands more dead” part

Guess how that one ends may confirm or deny that though.

Ruger

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #807 on: 24 July 2020, 00:43:31 »
Anybody here into Warhammer 40K? There's a site called Cold Open Stories that runs unofficial fan fiction contests, and a lot of them are fun to read, not least because one of them was written by me  :)) Seriously, there are some great and fun little stories on the site.

https://www.coldopenstories.com/category/fast-fiction/
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #808 on: 24 July 2020, 13:08:10 »
Anybody here into Warhammer 40K? There's a site called Cold Open Stories that runs unofficial fan fiction contests, and a lot of them are fun to read, not least because one of them was written by me  :)) Seriously, there are some great and fun little stories on the site.

https://www.coldopenstories.com/category/fast-fiction/
Sorry, not a fan of the grimdark.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #809 on: 28 July 2020, 13:33:44 »
Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman, one of the funniest books I ever read, even funnier than Patchett's Discworld works
Shoot first, laugh later.