Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: How expensive can a fifth generation thread be?  (Read 144363 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Aviation Pictures: How expensive can a fifth generation thread be?
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2019, 11:31:23 »
given that soviet air doctrine downplayed dogfighting in favor of ground control guided interception, i suspect that the MiG-25 would have been murder on most bombers, and would have been hard for western fighters to counter effectively if it avoided being sucked into a dogfight. with its speed if the initial exchange of missiles didn't take out the enemy, the MiG's would probably just put pedal to the metal to withdraw and come around for another pass once they were in safer airspace.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #31 on: 30 October 2019, 11:54:42 »
I think Western fighters wouldn't meet it too often. Yes, a big threat to bombers, though I suspect the same thing could have been done on a less ambitious platform in the end.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 30 October 2019, 12:19:10 »
Wasn't the Mig-25's speed and range more for patrolling the very, very large airspace?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 30 October 2019, 13:09:36 »
Perhaps, but when the balloon goes up it allows them to be vectored by the STRAVKA (or whatever the regional airspace commands were called) to intercept targets, letting them quickly go from place to place as well as reload & get back to damaging the bomber streams.

Post WWII jet fighter & bomber doctrines are interesting b/c the senior officers made their careers with props and 'learned' the lessons of the WWII air campaigns.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #35 on: 30 October 2019, 17:09:53 »
Liam: interesting, but that particular channel seems suspect to me (and not just based on the production quality and newness).  At the very least (and within the scope of Rule 4), I can say they certainly didn't read Roger Hesketh's book about Operation FORTITUDE (one of their other videos).  It's a great book, and worth the slog it can be to read.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #36 on: 30 October 2019, 17:42:36 »
Liam: interesting, but that particular channel seems suspect to me (and not just based on the production quality and newness).  At the very least (and within the scope of Rule 4), I can say they certainly didn't read Roger Hesketh's book about Operation FORTITUDE (one of their other videos).  It's a great book, and worth the slog it can be to read.

Honestly, the channel does get a bit iffy at times, which was actually some of the appeal at first. Goofy channels that go for a spooky conspiratorial feel are entertaining for me. I also used to like to read my Grandmother's old collection of UFO magazines for the same reason.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #37 on: 30 October 2019, 17:52:46 »
Fun clip - seeing the plane deserted at Morohino (sp?) was soo sad.

But the frequent use of incorrect plane images - "Japanese airforce scrambled two Phantoms", while showing two F-111, did jar.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 30 October 2019, 18:57:50 »
Murphy's Dice...that thing probably has only two throttle settings: "Landing" and "Hold My Beer". :o
Challenge accepted.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #39 on: 30 October 2019, 19:56:16 »
That looks like something from Outlaw Star.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #40 on: 30 October 2019, 21:40:31 »

More like this really.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 30 October 2019, 22:06:06 »
Challenge accepted.

Ahh so that seems to be where the 'Star Stiletto' came from ...

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #42 on: 31 October 2019, 01:18:34 »
Well, the A-5 was a carrier-based, long-range, supersonic nuclear bomber, not a fighter. A definite case of "Chancellor, we are for the big!".

And while the A-5 and Mig-25 were rough contemporaries (Vigilante '58, Foxbat '64), it's more about covergent evolution - having a highish-mach airframe dictates a pointy nose, and the top-forward intakes with intake ramps are features of many other such airplanes, from the F-15 to Concorde and the Tu-22. Heck, the Valkyrie has them, but on their sides!

Shoulder-mounted wings allowed for ordnance or fuel to be carried under the wings - the Vigilante originally carried a droptank under each wing, while the Foxbat mounted four of those telephone-pole Acrids. Also allows keeping the landing gear shorter, unlike the Hustler.

Now the Vigilante was operational before the Foxbat took first flight, but the Foxbat was the child of a long evolutionary process starting with the Ye-150 and Ye-152 (think Mig-21 on ALL THE STEROIDS), and the Ye-155 (direct ancestor of the Foxbat) had things like wingtip fuel tanks and canards, which the A-5 never had. Plus IMHO the Foxbat is a beefy, brutal design built around those massive and tempermental Tumansky engines, while the Vigilante was a long, lean design based around the weapons "bay" located between the pair of J-79s.

But then, like Buran, knowing something can be done one way does concentrate the mind, without the need for detailed espionage.

And to round off this adventure for a plane born around the same time as myself, I give you the NR-349 - a Vigilante upgraded to three J-79s, and meant to carry 6 Phoenix missiles as a dash interceptor, replacing the cancelled XF-108 Rapier (for which the Phoenixes were originally developed. The Tomcat just got the radar crammed in  & the missiles slung). Note the over-wing intakes feeding the 3rd engine. I can't help but wonder if the NR-349 was meant to emulate the Foxbat ;)

Just how much asbestos and cooling would it require to keep the middle J79 from overheating and melting out the bottom of the airframe? ???

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 31 October 2019, 02:07:14 »

You know, I thought they were sort of crazy to ride a rocket fighter up . . . but THIS dude should KNOW how unstable the thing is and is still flying it?

Then again, that would be a light your pants on fire thrill ride (and yeah, that rocket might literally light your pants on fire).
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #45 on: 31 October 2019, 04:17:19 »
Ahh so that seems to be where the 'Star Stiletto' came from ...

Loved that thing. Had the toy and the original comics it was in. Still love that one comic which was a massive combat between virtually every type of aerial unit both GIJoe and Cobra has in their arsenals at the time.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 31 October 2019, 04:33:57 »
Challenge accepted.
Reminds me of the Swordfish II from Cowboy Bebop, minus wings and oversized chin gun

or vaguely like a Colonial Viper

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #47 on: 31 October 2019, 08:20:27 »

You know, I thought they were sort of crazy to ride a rocket fighter up . . . but THIS dude should KNOW how unstable the thing is and is still flying it?

Then again, that would be a light your pants on fire thrill ride (and yeah, that rocket might literally light your pants on fire).

That's an unpowered glider replica constructed in the nineties.
I have spoken.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 31 October 2019, 08:24:40 »
From what I could find it also has quite nice flying characteristics.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #49 on: 31 October 2019, 09:28:00 »
Wasn't the Mig-25's speed and range more for patrolling the very, very large airspace?
Actually the combat radius of a MiG-25 wasn't that big, just shy of 300 km. The total range (not ferry range, though) on internal fuel was around 1,860 km or 1,000 nmi.
liber et infractus

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #50 on: 31 October 2019, 09:43:17 »
Soviet Fighters were very fuel hungry. Big and thirsty for what the fighters were, and most of them didn't have in flight refueling, so that really limited their patrol range.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 31 October 2019, 11:05:00 »
A-5 Vigilante. Poops nukes.

At least until the nuclear turd became a nuclear dingleberry...
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #52 on: 31 October 2019, 13:36:18 »

Well, the flight design was tested as a glider and a propeller driven prototype.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #53 on: 31 October 2019, 14:07:19 »
One of the five Me 262 Project flyable replicas:

I have spoken.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #54 on: 31 October 2019, 14:07:24 »
Challenge accepted.
Wait wait, that concept is supposed to be built around the freaking A-10's CANNON?!  :o
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #55 on: 31 October 2019, 15:26:04 »
To . . . literally make a flying cannon?
Colt Ward

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #56 on: 31 October 2019, 17:06:01 »
To . . . literally make a flying cannon?
a *fighter* built around it. THat concept echo F-16 Falcon in many of its elements.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 31 October 2019, 19:56:16 »
Wait wait, that concept is supposed to be built around the freaking A-10's CANNON?!  :o
Yup.  Frankly that's how you have to build such a thing.

Here's the scary part - with that nose, cockpit setback, and the sheer lack of lift it has in the design...

LAND IT.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 01 November 2019, 08:51:39 »
Yup.  Frankly that's how you have to build such a thing.

Here's the scary part - with that nose, cockpit setback, and the sheer lack of lift it has in the design...

LAND IT.
Well the good news is that the center of pressure is certainly aft of the center of mass :).  An F-16 XL wing would certainly help with the lift issues, but that raydome looks like they are trying to maintain the F-16's air to air capability.

As to the cockpit setback, I'm not saying it would be easy, but when you stack it against landing a commercial jet where you are 3 stories up or some of the notorious planes like the U2 or SR-71, it should be possible to learn.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 01 November 2019, 10:40:20 »
Yeah, but how screaming fast do you have to come in on approach?  The stall speed on that can NOT be comfortably low...