Author Topic: Sore Thumbs II: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?  (Read 109218 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: Sore Thumbs II: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?
« Reply #60 on: 16 June 2020, 22:28:25 »
I started playing Octopath Traveler with that hunter girl (sorry I don't remember her name yet) who is looking for her missing mentor. So far I am liking how old school JRPG it is with combat having interesting things in it.
had not much time to play this one but the music....man the music even my neighbor loved it ...offered pizza or chiniese for it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #61 on: 16 June 2020, 22:40:12 »
the OST is indeed fantastic

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 17 June 2020, 08:40:20 »
crypt of necrodancer has  pretty interesting back ground music also
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #63 on: 17 June 2020, 09:17:08 »
because Danny Baranowsky is a wizard

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #64 on: 24 June 2020, 23:33:49 »
finally got to dig into ys viii after doddling for almost two years. just entered chapter 4 so i'm guessing i'm somewhere near the halfway point

turns out the horrid performance issues i was having were due to the nvidia settings using the integrated graphics as a default instead of the gpu  xp

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 24 June 2020, 23:38:32 »
Enjoying Hardspace: Shipbreakers.  Pretty relaxing in freeplay, taking my time dismantling ships.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #66 on: 26 June 2020, 15:39:09 »
I had a notification that Rome II: Total War was on sale so I am downloading it now :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 26 June 2020, 17:46:59 »
Homeworld Remastered Collection is on sale at Steam for 90% off

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 29 June 2020, 15:12:09 »
Can't figure out what to play.

I played a bit (about 20h total) of Elite:Dangerous but i burned out because of exploration lacking anything interesting to find (not to mention being stupidly unprofitable for how much time it takes), mining is profitable (to the point overshadowing everything else) but core mining is frustrating due to core-asteroid rarity, and other stuff... well, it is a nice game but it lacks depth in its aspects.

I burned out from The Witcher 3, still need to finish Blood&Wine but it was kind of a mistake starting it right after the main game and first expansion. Unfortunately i don't feel like playing it as standalone even though that is technically an option.

I'd play Stellaris but Federations expansion is not on sale. Not interested in paying full amount for it, given that it is lacking in some ways. Maybe during next Steam sale...

I'd actually like to play a space game, like EVE Online, but i'm just utterly allergic to PVP nowadays. I can play a pure PVP game sure, that's voluntary. But any chance of involuntary PVP and i'm out. (ED i play in solo mode.)
And can't think of any i'm actually interested EVE Online and Elite:Dangerous aside. (I'd play old X-wings etc. but i don't have a joystick so those are out, none of them just work nice on controller.)

Guess i'll just need to start a new game in Morrowind? Only setting up the installation, mods, all that takes quite a while. Ugh. And latest unofficial patch seemingly still has few bugs, might as well wait until next hot fix at least.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 29 June 2020, 19:19:30 »
starred detroit being human....it is rather relaxing....

took a bit of a retro trip evil genius...still love the kitchen appliances especially the cake mix mixer...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #70 on: 29 June 2020, 20:02:29 »
Detroit would likely have done much better had it not been for the scandals that immediately hit it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 30 June 2020, 10:04:50 »
Detroit would likely have done much better had it not been for the scandals that immediately hit it.
did not pay attention to those still when i saw clancy brown in credits when game opened i sat up at the edge of my seat...absolutely love it when he does voice work...
cant say anything about the soundtrack yet since i just got a smidgen of it but sound effects are right on and fir environment which is rare...i still get chills whenever i play silent hill original

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 30 June 2020, 13:44:06 »
ok detroit becoming human just got my audiphiliac tooth pulled...i soooo want the sound track to this game ...allmost as good as nier series....

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 10 July 2020, 03:18:23 »
Ended up playing Path of Exile. A mistake, this game is a time sink. I have hard time figuring a class for myself though. The super open class system gives me frankly too much freedom, especially since there's no easy way to change stuff. I'll note that i've mostly been playing the first few acts, rerolling characters. Obviously stuff will be different later on.
Just tried a Templar (after getting 30 levels with a Duelist). Style-wise, pretty good but i'm uncertain about my weapon of choice. Think i'll play this class later on, especially since i got some unique bow, maybe the game's suggesting i try out a Ranger?

I nearly always have hard time choosing a class, especially if there are characterization and/or visual differences. Something like Morrowind, the only issue is deciding what kind of character to play but then you get stuff like Diablo 3, where before the Crusader i wasn't really a fan of any class because i wasn't a fan of their looks and characters. Of course, after i had played enough with the Crusader, i did find some others fun as well, and never could really focus on the end game.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 10 July 2020, 07:17:20 »
I nearly always have hard time choosing a class, especially if there are characterization and/or visual differences. Something like Morrowind, the only issue is deciding what kind of character to play but then you get stuff like Diablo 3, where before the Crusader i wasn't really a fan of any class because i wasn't a fan of their looks and characters. Of course, after i had played enough with the Crusader, i did find some others fun as well, and never could really focus on the end game.

Loved the Barb in D3, but also hated the "End Game", it was dull and repetitive. Usually in that sort of game I'd play a mage/sorceror first, but I've moved to melee characters as I've gotten older.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 10 July 2020, 23:10:20 »
Wow, The Lord's Labyrinth dungeon impressed me a lot in Path of Exile. Great looks and superb music, and fun puzzles and stuff.
Found i really like the Ranger, melts faces and is quite mobile.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #76 on: 15 July 2020, 03:06:52 »
RDR2 (bought on sale as I'm old and thus now allergic to paying full retail for anything). There's a learning curve which I'm rapidly sliding down.

Recent case in point: A random guy in a cage asked me to rescue him, so I shot the two guards, but while I was doing that a carriage with two more people rode up so I had to shoot them, and then ANOTHER guy on a horse rode up and i had to shoot him, so I ended up murdering five people just to let one guy out of prison, and all he had for me was a tip about a burglary.

Second case: While riding my horse I got jumped by about five bandits and ended up shooting one of their horses. I'm now wanted for "cruelty to animals." Me, not the five guys that tried to murder me. Point is, I don't think I've got the hang of the mechanics yet.

Still, I've got Arthur looking stylin' right about now.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #77 on: 15 July 2020, 09:42:49 »
One tip I'll give you: the game's disguise mechanics don't work the way that the in-game instructions say they do.  In fact, actually successfully disguising yourself to prevent Arthur from being identified during a crime is ridiculously hard.

Beyond that, the first three chapters of the game are good.  The fourth is where things start to go downhill, and after that is where it goes to hell.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #78 on: 15 July 2020, 11:32:06 »
loaded up the three year old save file on ys origin and finally finished the thing. i had put it down because i got stuck and never got back around to it - ironically i got through the part i was stuck on in five minutes after starting again.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 17 July 2020, 12:15:56 »
Picked up Far Cry 4 because it was on sale for $6.

Honey badgers are evil.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #80 on: 17 July 2020, 12:26:35 »
Murder gophers

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 19 July 2020, 16:27:03 »
I just got through The Last of Us II.  For those that have a PS4, highly recommended it is an amazing game.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #82 on: 19 July 2020, 16:31:38 »
Finally knocked off ys viii

The doubling down on the insane stakes keeps getting more wild even through the epilogue.

Probably on to dragon quest xi next

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #83 on: 19 July 2020, 17:46:56 »
Finally bought a Switch.

Currently back in perpetual servitude to Tom Nook.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #84 on: 19 July 2020, 18:29:36 »
Did I spend over a million bells to build infrastructure so I didn’t have to use my ladder or pole any more? Perhaps

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 19 July 2020, 21:20:37 »
Started in on Ghost of Tsushima today. I've been enjoying it so far. The game is absolutely gorgeous, and gameplay/combat-wise it kind of reminds me of The Witcher 3 and Shadow of Mordor. Which I'm really glad for, because for some reason I thought it was going to be another Souls-like game, and I am finally getting burnt out on that style now.

...The game is also really making me want to watch Seven Samurai again.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 19 July 2020, 21:23:03 »
 started to play ghost in a shell for ps2 in emulation for my pc...
wish i still had my ps2 had been half way in game when it go stolen almost 20years back

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #87 on: 19 July 2020, 22:16:09 »
I don't know if it's the same one, but I remember one Ghost in the Shell game for PS2 that was terrible.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #88 on: 20 July 2020, 00:52:12 »
Played a bit with Butcher's Circus DLC for Darkest Dungeon. Interesting and infuriating at the same time.

Character skills are reworked for the Circus, to fit with different needs, along with Circus specific trinkets. It's interesting to build your team and deal with what your opponent throws at you. There are roughly three major ways of defeaing your enemies. One is to hit individual enemies with massive damage (like in core game) and kill them one after another, marked for death is very useful in this. The other is to pile bleed and blight across the enemy team and third is to drive the opponent stress meter to the limit.

The Death's Door mecahanics can be absolutely infuriating though, you can have enemy marked for death and survive multiple kill strikes from Bounty Hunter and Arbalest, while your characters fall to normal kill strikes in first try. Fortunately I had my weights in the room to work off the frustration.

So I played it a bit and will try it again once they rebalance it somewhat.
Shoot first, laugh later.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #89 on: 20 July 2020, 02:38:18 »
Unlocked the racing sidequests in Far Cry 4.

Remembered how much I hated racing in Far Cry games- the cars have no handling and bounce like they've got the density of Styrofoam.

Register