Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 177907 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is LIVE
« Reply #1350 on: 19 July 2019, 10:08:15 »
aaaaaaaand we just passed 700k

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1351 on: 19 July 2019, 10:09:47 »
Serious question: Has CGL announced which pledge manager they will be using after the campaign closes? I'm assuming one has been chosen by now, but maybe that is presumptuous.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1352 on: 19 July 2019, 10:13:13 »
I put it in the KS comments, but here's a wishlist for stretch/add-ons -
- Clan Wolverine/Minnesota Tribe challenge coin & faction pack
- Periphery factions (ie MoC, etc) challenge coin & faction pack
- Tier for people who aren't interested in mech packs, but are interested in the rest
- Stretch/add-ons for - Redemption Rift and prior KS novella (ie Heir Apparent series)
- Stretch/add-on for - sequel(s) to Betrayal of Ideals (the journey from Barbados to Svelvik to Richmond - bring back Blaine please)

PS - Always disappointed the - are you human - post question doesn't accept "aff"

Good ones!  I just added one other thing in comments over there.  An IS Vehicle lance pack.  Having a group of tanks to stomp on would be awesome for campaigns especially.  Whether on the IS side and having Vehicle support, or on the Clan Side and stomping some militias or RCTs.  Or attacking convoys! 

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1353 on: 19 July 2019, 10:17:08 »
Serious question: Has CGL announced which pledge manager they will be using after the campaign closes? I'm assuming one has been chosen by now, but maybe that is presumptuous.

Yes, CrowdOx

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #1354 on: 19 July 2019, 10:57:37 »
And ten people have gone Full Kerensky.

Which is just as well, because it saves me from a harrowing conversation with the spousal overunit. xp

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1355 on: 19 July 2019, 11:00:15 »
And ten people have gone Full Kerensky.

Which is just as well, because it saves me from a harrowing conversation with the spousal overunit. xp

Hun..
Yes?
You know I love you right....
...what have you done...

Kind of harrowing?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1356 on: 19 July 2019, 11:02:20 »
I'd like more information on the leatherbound Mechwarrior Legends book.  How much will it cost?  I'm happy to do an add-on for an incredible collector's art book.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1357 on: 19 July 2019, 11:02:22 »
Lol i got the ol Eye Rolling from mine when I wanted to upgrade to the Galaxy Commander level.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1358 on: 19 July 2019, 11:04:41 »
Lol i got the ol Eye Rolling from mine when I wanted to upgrade to the Galaxy Commander level.

Better than mine.  Even though I just received a raise at work, I actually got a tongue-lashing from my wife when I discussed the merits of backing at Galaxy Commander.

xp xp xp xp

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #1359 on: 19 July 2019, 11:04:59 »

I think I'm safe to do up to Galaxy Commander. Khan might require a little bit of "it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission"...  ;D

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1360 on: 19 July 2019, 11:08:03 »
I think I'm safe to do up to Galaxy Commander. Khan might require a little bit of "it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission"...  ;D

Well said!  However, for those of us still trying to worm our way out of the dog house, there are times it's better to play it safe.

(If you told me that as a child I would grow up to be 6'9" and 275 pounds, but still ask permission to do things from a 5'9" woman who is 120 pounds soaking wet, I would have told you that something went wrong with my life)

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1361 on: 19 July 2019, 11:08:34 »
My wife told me that I've been waiting for this for over half a decade and I should totally go Galaxy Commander.
In other news, I am never getting divorced.

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1362 on: 19 July 2019, 11:09:57 »
You know, it's times like this when I'm glad I'm not married  :D

(though I would love to have a new lady in my life)
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1363 on: 19 July 2019, 11:10:17 »
How far along was CM Davion? If anything we should be able to drag THAT one out of somebody I think.

Also, are you human really should accept aff. Perhaps that is all it should accept, this IS BattleTech after all ;D

Far enough along where nckestrel (aka superstud Josh Franklin, the #1 AS dev in our hearts) hasn’t posted a CM lite version in the custom rules section just in case the mothballed stuff ever sees the light of day
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 11:13:34 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1364 on: 19 July 2019, 11:11:20 »
My wife told me that I've been waiting for this for over half a decade and I should totally go Galaxy Commander.
In other news, I am never getting divorced.

Someone has a keeper!

/backonthread:     The laminated record sheets stretch goal sounds fantastic!  What did you all think of that?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1365 on: 19 July 2019, 11:13:02 »
So we're back to a list of names in a book?  I guess at least for galaxy commanders it'll be more like a year book page. ;D
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1366 on: 19 July 2019, 11:16:24 »
Looking at the Clan Light Fire Star that has been recently unlocked, the inclusion of the Solitaire seems like an odd choice. That Mech was not introduced until 3064, according to the MUL.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1367 on: 19 July 2019, 11:16:54 »
Someone has a keeper!

/backonthread:     The laminated record sheets stretch goal sounds fantastic!  What did you all think of that?

Thx.
Not sold on the laminated sheets. I have a printer, so not sure of the benefit.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1368 on: 19 July 2019, 11:20:44 »
aaaaaaaand we just passed 700k
Yay, digital Novel!  Hope it's full one.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1369 on: 19 July 2019, 11:20:53 »
Oh I got to go Galaxy Commander...as my wife knows I love going to GenCon every year, but with a shake-up at my job last year they no longer have the Graveyard shift (10:30 pm-8am on an 8-on-6-off pattern I had done for 10+ years) mean no more GenCon as I was not going to waste 2 days of First Pick Vacation to go for a weekend (I have 32 years with the company so, I ALWAYS get first pick, but I like having Christmas off more ;))

So, with all my Overtime, and standby pay (They pay me a day's wages for the 'just in case we need you for Overtime) I had the money, but still...always need the 'boss's' permission :P

plus she makes more than me anyways, so...there's that too!

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1370 on: 19 July 2019, 11:23:32 »
There are nearly 1,000 at the moment. We decided when building the KS that we can only guarantee names are used. The FAQ gives the wrong impression.

That actually makes logical sense (and what I kind of understood originally the deal to be for those of us who aren't Khans), as with over 1,000 potential discrete characters (almost 10 regiments worth of MechWarriors), giving each one even a small spotlight above names would mean having to crank out a lot of sourcebooks just because.

My only question is something that's been asked... some people are a little concerned about the faction their character would end up in. Is there any leeway to give people at least the capacity to suggest a favored faction for their character name? 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1371 on: 19 July 2019, 11:25:55 »
I’m guessing the final head count will have a say in that. Also if too many people choose a faction not getting as much screen time might potentially cause a bottleneck

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1372 on: 19 July 2019, 11:30:20 »
That actually makes logical sense (and what I kind of understood originally the deal to be for those of us who aren't Khans), as with over 1,000 potential discrete characters (almost 10 regiments worth of MechWarriors), giving each one even a small spotlight above names would mean having to crank out a lot of sourcebooks just because.

My only question is something that's been asked... some people are a little concerned about the faction their character would end up in. Is there any leeway to give people at least the capacity to suggest a favored faction for their character name?
You can request anything under the sun. Only thing guaranteed is the name. There are some crossed wires apparently, but using your (or your character’s) name is the only promise for canonization.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1373 on: 19 July 2019, 11:30:58 »
Well . . . really folks need to understand its going to be years, like 5 at least unless they REALLY start cranking the novels- which if so, yay.  I would also expect the folks who purchased the $200 add-on get a bit different treatment than the Star Colonels . . . fun one is going to be the lucky Ristar or higher who gets drawn from a hat for a H&G story.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

H.B.M.C.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1374 on: 19 July 2019, 11:33:38 »
The laminated record sheets stretch goal sounds fantastic!  What did you all think of that?
I'm generally wary of any stretch goal in any KS that amounts to "If we reach this level we'll unlock these things you then have to purchase!".

BYE

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1375 on: 19 July 2019, 11:35:40 »
I really need to know for pledge purposes if there is a difference between canon character and character plus warrior art. If the only guarantee on the star colonel tier is name I’ll probably pass. Not demanding anything I just want to know what I’m signing up for

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Coming July 17!
« Reply #1376 on: 19 July 2019, 11:36:11 »
Another thought occurred to me just now in regards to this Kickstarter...I wonder if one of the stretch goals could go towards developing CBT Record Sheet software, perhaps to be hosted on the MUL website...that'd be cool! Or perhaps even a separate Kickstarter for it.

I'm happy with the functionality of the record sheets, but it would be nice to see them get a modern aesthetic.

I wouldn’t mind an app where I could track heat/damage etc.

Tap which weapons you want to fire, enter GATOR info, and bam gives you a too hit, and when hits are taken, you tap the area, then enter the points of damage

Maybe it's moot given the accomplished stretch goals, but if you've got a tablet (or other computer with very high res display) and can't wait for what comes from the KS, there's always Flechs Sheets: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEMsNUUD_m-PktWklTIt6ceai30q3yTUA

And does anyone know the studio Catalyst referred to having worked with before for the digital RS project? I'd be really interested in their work if they've been doing things at the intersection of digital and analog gameplay.

Also looking forward to seeing what they come up for this—there's lots of interesting design problems and different possible solutions for this kind of project.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 11:54:43 by Bison AIs »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1377 on: 19 July 2019, 11:41:31 »

FIRST - This is Me as NeonKnight, a Player, not NeonKnight the Demo Agent BEAMER!

If we look at the current levels:

Star Colonel Canon
Galaxy level Canon
Khan Level Canon
Kerensky Level Canon

That's 4 different levels of canonicity. The Star Colonel level is the lowest, and you get to name a Canon Character who will appear in a source book or fiction. I.E.:

Kerensky strode across the tarmac where he saw two mech tech's; Backer 1 and Backer 2 arguing over how many rounds Backer 3 wanted mounted in their mech. He shook his head as he continued past, knowing the two would never reach a concensus.

There...that's 3 of the Star Colonels done

At Galaxy level, you get a picture as well, so maybe one of the new pilot cards? Maybe a noted pilot in a future TRO?

At Khan and Kerensky level, even more defined and I can't even begin to speculate.

But again, these are my guesses. AdrianGideon could come in here and slap me down with a big ol -NOPE!

Won't know until it is fully spelled out.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1378 on: 19 July 2019, 11:43:30 »
So I finally registered after lurking on the forums since 2015. (whoever made the decision not to allow as a valid answer to "Are you a human?" sentence "No, I am a meat popsicle" needs to get their humanity checked)

I had to break the ice after pledging on this Kickstarter. (another first for me, mind you)

I sprang for Star Captain level + some more add-on goodies, and I have enjoyed unlocking of stretch goals and an increasing pile of cool stuff immensely so far.

However, I am also apprehensive. I was willing to buy BT:AGOAC boxset two months prior from Catalyst's online shop, but the shipping amount I was given for sending that item to my country was around 90% of the price of the boxset. OUCH!

I live in Serbia, in Europe (not EU), so I suppose that shipping should be less, since european distribution center has been mentioned.

Cubby, can we get some details on how european distribution will be executed? Can we get a list of european countries that would be covered by the european distribution center?

Paying a $100 shipping is not something I am looking forward to.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 12:10:05 by RazorclawXLS »

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1379 on: 19 July 2019, 11:44:36 »
For all the fiction, what would be VERY VERY nice and welcomed, would be to get a code to get a PoD version at cost.  I've participated in a couple of kickstarters where one reward was just that, a code to get the PoD at cost + shipping.  So, those who wanted a print version could get one by paying for the cost of printing, and the shipping. (all those were with DrivethruRPG, so I have no idea if other PoD supplier allow those codes too)
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 11:48:58 by kinwolf »