Author Topic: Faction Specific Ability: House Kurita - Japanese Tea Ceremony  (Read 6604 times)

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
Today's Faction Specific Ability: Kurita - Japanese Tea Ceremony: Whenever the Kurita player declares the beginning of a Japanese Tea Ceremony, all opposing players must immediately make a consciousness roll against a target number of 12. All units failing this roll are rendered unconscious until the release of a new novel that does not center on House Kurita. This ability may only be used once per campaign. If more than 50% of the enemy force (rounded down) survives the consciousness check, the player that initiated the ceremony must immediately activate either the "Seppuku Ceremony" or the "Yakuza Chop-your-finger-off Ceremony" special abilities. (Non Kurita players must make a second consciousness roll to remain conscious through these tedious ceremonies as well. This roll is separate from the consciousness roll for the Tea Ceremony special ability.)
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: Faction Specific Ability: House Kurita - Japanese Tea Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2021, 16:29:34 »
What if you are playing the Wolfs Dragoons? I feel like you’d get a bonus cause of well...they are just so much better than everyone else.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2021, 16:32:48 »
It's possible that by activating the "Jamie Wolf Strokes his beard mysteriously" Special Ability, the Dragoons could receive a modifier to their target number for this role. The same is true if the unit is part of the Kell Hounds and employs the "Morgan Kell talking about the good old days with Katrina" Special Ability.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2021, 16:35:11 »
Two dozen more obscure interactions and it’ll be like it’s been ripped straight from the rule books  >:D
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2021, 16:37:48 »
Two dozen more obscure interactions and it’ll be like it’s been ripped straight from the rule books  >:D

True. I mean, if the unit is commanded by Victor, they can activate the "Omi makes my nether-bits tingle" Special Ability, but instead of granting him +6 skill points in the Ninja Badass skill, he can opt to apply a -3 modifier to the consciousness roll for the Tea Ceremony.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2021, 18:31:25 »
the player that initiated the ceremony must immediately activate either the "Seppuku Ceremony" or the "Yakuza Chop-your-finger-off Ceremony

“The player”?!  Not the character?!

I love this game, but I’m not disemboweling or chopping off anything for it!

(The Yakuza finger ritual is called yubitsume.  Seppuku is also spoken as harakiri.)
« Last Edit: 11 April 2021, 23:55:44 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2021, 19:09:48 »
“The player”?!  Not the character?!

I love this game, but I’m not committing disemboweling or chopping off anything for it!

(The Yakuza finger ritual is called yubitsume.  Seppuku is also spoken as harakiri.)

Well...that's one way to cut down on the tea ceremonies...

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2021, 19:52:13 »
With special emphasis on cut...
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2021, 09:08:17 »
Does the Northwind Highlander's "Distract with Bagpipes" special ability allow characters to automatically pass the consciousness check?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2021, 09:24:19 »
Does the Northwind Highlander's "Distract with Bagpipes" special ability allow characters to automatically pass the consciousness check?

Not automatically, no. They are allowed to employ the "Distract with Bagpipes" special ability, but it only confers the following benefit: The bagpipe wielding player may reduce the target number for the consciousness roll by 1 for each ounce of liquor they consume. HOWEVER, in addition, the bagpipe wielding player must write a sentence for each ounce describing the drinking experience, and the sentence must both mention that the alcohol is amber in color and burns going down. No additional bonuses may be gained by adding stories regarding the provenance of said alcohol.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2021, 10:23:45 »
Can Davion players use their "Invoke Fiat" ability to avoid being effected?

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2021, 10:45:48 »
Only if played in years before the end of the 4th SW.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2021, 10:50:30 »
Can Davion players use their "Invoke Fiat" ability to avoid being effected?

Only prior to 3067. The "Davion Author Fiat" special faction ability clearly states that it may not be used in any scenario after 3067. The Exception to this rule is any unit under the direct command of Victor Steiner-Davion, which can invoke the "Omi Kurita makes my nether-bits tingle" special ability regardless of era or faction affiliation. Victor's special ability ALWAYS override any faction or era-specific abilities for any such units, so long as the scenario is set AFTER the initial Outreach conference of the Great House leaders.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2021, 11:53:36 »
Liao players can invoke the “I deny your reality and substitute my own” special ability, but it has no positive effect...until 3052.  At which point the heavens align and the hand of fate is guided by the whims of the Celestial Wisdom thereafter.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.