Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 198981 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Soviet armor doctrine was pretty different from NATO's, no?
Smaller tanks, fast tanks, designed with strategic offensives in mind. NATO tanks tend to be more defensive, hull-down tanks.
So, naturally NATO vs WP game should be somewhat asymmetric.

Conventional warfare with asymmetric sides, not asymmetric warfare with asymmetric forces.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
As I recall, the Soviet doctrine was "make it simple, make it work, make more"...  That generally led to much larger forces facing NATO in Europe, and was the basic reason tactical nukes were necessary.  The needed kill ratios for a NATO victory were something over 3:1.

Kidd

• Major
*sighs* No, that isn't what I want. What do any of those conflicts have to do with me wanting more variety in my World War III wargames?
What do you have in mind?

Charlie 6

• Captain
The other proble with Team Yankee is unit density on play area.
My Boss and I were discussing this after Historicon last year and he had the same objection.  I saw a graphic that had the right TY scale as being played with those models on a football field.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Now that would be something to see... hilarious too!  ;D

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
My Boss and I were discussing this after Historicon last year and he had the same objection.  I saw a graphic that had the right TY scale as being played with those models on a football field.
One of the reasons the 6mm scale was invented in the first place was to deal with the parking lot battles problem limited table space gave.
People keep having to relearn the same lessons
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 12:34:26 by glitterboy2098 »

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Or go with computers?
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Charlie 6

• Captain
One of the reasons the 6mm scale was invented in the first place was to deal with the parking lot battles problem limited table space gave.
People keep having to relearn the same lessons
Yet, Battlefront seems to be doing ok.  I don't care either way although it would be nice if BF let GaleForce9 do a TY skirmish game.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Honestly not an April Fools
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Now that got a LOL!  ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
That's what, a Primitive AT-ST?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Isn't there a couple of WW2 games that have "Mechs" in them?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Now, that's what I call a primitive Locust.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
What isn't?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Looks like Gear Krieg at a guess.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
It's rarely the sole SPAAG that you need to worry about. It's the fact that they travel in packs.

Those look like PGZ-09 35mm SPAAGs

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
The camouflage has gone 8-bit!
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Why exactly is digital camo so common nowadays? Easy to apply? Easy to design but still effective?

grimlock1

• Captain
Why exactly is digital camo so common nowadays? Easy to apply? Easy to design but still effective?
Part fashion, part "it works better."

All those squares require masking, while older styles of camo could just be done free hand.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Very effective... the first time I saw digital cammies, I thought my glasses were dirty.  Nope... at that range, in a dim conference room, the Marines wearing it were just straight blurry...

Charlie 6

• Captain
Very effective... the first time I saw digital cammies, I thought my glasses were dirty.  Nope... at that range, in a dim conference room, the Marines wearing it were just straight blurry...
...or your eyes were just filling with pride.

On a related note, while on BATAAN I peered through the peephole on a QAWTD, saw nothing, and opened the hatch.  I very nearly knocked a sailor head over heels because her uniform had blended so well with the deck sole on the O-2 Level.  She told me that it wasn't he first time it had happened.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
I much prefer the round/soft edge designs such as our old "hearts and bunnies" AUSCAM DPCU (Disruptive Pattern Camouflage Uniform) pattern or the new Crye MultiCam. However this is purely a personal preference not based on effectiveness.

An Australian Army soldier in Australian Multicam Camouflage Uniform (AMCU), which has the base pattern of the MultiCam camouflage pattern with a modified colour scheme inherited from the AUSCAM DPCU.

Which has been morphed into a ridiculous new Air Force general purpose uniform  ::)

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
There's a semi-famous picture of a Sailor laying on a blue PRC deck, and they blend almost too well.  I still don't get the whole blue cammies, thing... The Navy is finally giving up on them, so I'll probably have to buy a whole new set of the green ones soon...

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
RAAF is using it to replace the old Working Dress (I cannot find a photo quickly but think tradesman heavy drill cotton trousers and shirt in a solid navy blue) and DPCUs as the goto uniform when working on base. Although for us base operations (Ground Defence, Security Police, Airfield Engineers, etc) types I assume we still get issued a set of AMCU for when we are doing base defence duties.

The Royal Australian Navy went with the camo look early and they transition from the old pure grey working overalls to a Navy AUSCAM DPCU working dress and I understand now they are moving to a new Navy MultiCam working dress (Nightlord can probably provide more details).

The Air Force's camo pattern is to make the working dress more "military" looking without being mistaken for Army (happened all the time when wearing DPCUs) but it is ridiculous at the same time.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

grimlock1

• Captain

Is that a cammo uniform with reflective bands on the arms? ???
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Affirmative, reflective bands on camo  :D

Its "working dress", worn while working on board, the reflective bands are for safety. The camo pattern is not designed to actually provide any real "camouflage", just to identify the person is military and is a member of the Royal Australian Navy.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
About the only environment that the US Army's ACUs actually worked:

I have spoken.

grimlock1

• Captain
About the only environment that the US Army's ACUs actually worked:

I was thinking about this pic today when I was walking the dog.  Wondered if I could dig it up again.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2018, 16:50:37 by grimlock1 »

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
The Tank Museum at Bovington is running a series about the centenaries of significant events in tank history - the most recent seems to be the debut of the A7V

http://tank100.com/headline-news/action-debut-of-the-a7v-tank/
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
I have previously posted photos of Mephisto, the final surviving A7V. Here is another photo, Mephisto was down here in Canberra at the Australian War Memorial but has now been returned to Brisbane. It is in a bubble to help preserve it.

Register