Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 198989 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs

I've always loved the look of multi-turreted tanks, even if the idea for them was basically guff.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
another multi turret tank
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Did you mean to insert the same picture twice?  ???

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
Did you mean to insert the same picture twice?  ???

No

and my photo of one of these from the Tank Museum is the wrong size/format to upload on here

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
The multi turret reminds me of the T-35 Russian tank, with the multiple turrets and multiple sized weapon.
Its the closest to the Land Dreadnought design that went into service.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Does that thing have four or five turrets??

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
The multi turret reminds me of the T-35 Russian tank, with the multiple turrets and multiple sized weapon.
Its the closest to the Land Dreadnought design that went into service.
At the time they were conceived multi-turret tanks weren't such a bad idea. However the technology advanced much to fast for them...

-Engines and suspension weren't all that reliable, so you wasn't terribly fast and pretty much had to work with (and against) infantry.
-AT guns were still in their infancy, so heavy armor wasn't a high priority.
-Due to said low speed and infantry you wanted guns in several directions.
-Due to said lack of AT guns there wasn't much that could be used against both infantry/bunkers and against AFVs.

All those problems were essentially solved by the mid-30s, but enough people were already sold on the idea.

Does that thing have four or five turrets??
5: HE gun in the middle, two AT gun and two MG turrets.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
At the time they were conceived multi-turret tanks weren't such a bad idea. However the technology advanced much to fast for them...

-Engines and suspension weren't all that reliable, so you wasn't terribly fast and pretty much had to work with (and against) infantry.
-AT guns were still in their infancy, so heavy armor wasn't a high priority.
-Due to said low speed and infantry you wanted guns in several directions.
-Due to said lack of AT guns there wasn't much that could be used against both infantry/bunkers and against AFVs.

All those problems were essentially solved by the mid-30s, but enough people were already sold on the idea.
5: HE gun in the middle, two AT gun and two MG turrets.

Just like so many things out there. Look really cool and scary but when it came down to a battlefield application....useless. Its the sci-fi fantasy in me that would love to see a land battleship or something in the like in real life.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
I guess technology and doctrine also killed the multi-turret tank - with faster tanks and faster turret traverse you didn't need to have the guns already facing each side and you could break away from infantry. Meanwhile the doctrine lesson(s) that tanks need support from infantry and artillery and engineers etc to be most effective rather than deploying them on their own - from what I have heard of what is happening in the Middle East at the moment it sounds as though that lesson keeps on needing to be re-learned by people.

Kidd

• Major
The O.G. DropShip - aka an LST landing an M4 Sherman

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
The O.G. DropShip - aka an LST landing an M4 Sherman

Would launching DD Shermans be akin to a hot drop or orbital insertion?

Charlie 6

• Captain

Whichever is closer to the ground.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
How far from the beach are they being launched?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kidd

• Major
Whichever is closer to the ground.
Ah, but is ground the seabed or the beach now?

IMHO DD Shermans is hot drop. Parachuting tanks is orbital insertion.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
In D-Day, the DD Shermans were deployed within 6000 yards of the beach.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!

Hot drop. This is prepping for orbital insertion:

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
Glider delivered tanks - the main problem wasn't the weight of the tank but the giant balls of the crew of the glider

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Glider delivered tanks - the main problem wasn't the weight of the tank but the giant balls of the crew of the glider
"No guts, no galaxy"
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

VhenRa

• Captain
That's an auto-loader issue rather than an ammunition issue isn't it?

The separate ammunition allows it to be fitted into different "safe" stores and the changes needed to the ammunition handling and storage are one of the main reasons given for not changing the Challenger 2 to a smoothbore 120mm gun

I have certainly not heard anything about the two piece ammunition being a reason for the British tanks having a slower rate of fire than the Leopard 2 or M1s

What I don't know (at all) is how "safe" the French LeClerc's auto-loader is compared with the Russian-style designs in your animation in terms of the ammunition storage, handling etc

It's the Russian caracel layout. With that... you can't fit CASE, sorry, blowout panels.

kato

• Captain
The Leclerc autoloader sits in the rear turret extension same as the ready ammunition bunkers in e.g. Abrams and Leopard, and loads horizontally. There are blowout panels fitted above this magazine. The ammunition within it is on a conveyor belt that shifts left and right to present the next round of chosen type to the loading tray.

The autoloader of the South Korean K2 uses the same design principle and looks pretty much the same when taken out of the turret. The design is pretty much fixed to certain external dimensions of the ammunition.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
RE the T-35 tank, its freaking HUGE

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!

Basically.  Those Tetrachs the Brits delivered via glider were glorified moving targets for German armor in Normandy; even with Littlejohn squeezebores, they had a hard time punching Pz. IVs and just scratched the armor on the cats.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
Basically.  Those Tetrachs the Brits delivered via glider were glorified moving targets for German armor in Normandy; even with Littlejohn squeezebores, they had a hard time punching Pz. IVs and just scratched the armor on the cats.

The Besa MG was probably more use as it was really a self propelled lightly armoured machine gun, I'm not sure how many Tetrarchs deployed with the 2 pounder (40mm) and how many with the 3-inch "close support" howitzer

Kidd

• Major
All like, ten or so of them anyway.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
All like, ten or so of them anyway.

My understanding of the doctrine was that some time before 1944 the British armour had shifted light tanks down in importance and they really were just used for reconnaissance rather than direct action

I think it is a continuation of that which led to the Scimitar and similar family being referred to as Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) rather than light tanks post-War

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase

My understanding of the doctrine was that some time before 1944 the British armour had shifted light tanks down in importance and they really were just used for reconnaissance rather than direct action

I think that was true of most nations by then, as light tanks were shown to be too poorly armed and armored to be effective in heavy fighting.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kidd

• Major
I meant that there werent that many produced to start with, even less that actually were sent off in the gliders, and barely two handfuls that survived the landings to fire at the enemy.

Kidd

• Major
Does anybody (cough Kato) know what's the story behind this? Leclerc turret on a Leopard body.

kato

• Captain
It's a demonstrator project intended to show that KNDS - the merger of KMW and Nexter - can produce a viable battle tank on their own that embodies technologies from both sides... and one that works without any contribution from competitor Rheinmetall.

Supposed benefit is that you can uparmor it quite a bit more since the Leclerc turret weighs 6 tons less than the Leo 2A7 turret that the chassis is specced for. Or that, without that, you get a tank that isn't as anemic as the Leclerc but still comes in at under 60 tons (... empty).
« Last Edit: 14 June 2018, 16:51:39 by kato »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
It's got thick steel, an engine, and a gun.  I suppose it's gonna have at least some modicum of effectiveness, as long as it doesn't get noticed by its grandkids.  Definition of "stupid but works" perhaps?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register