Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 199241 times)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
They're not.  Look up the Night Witches.  Fear.
i love how Sabaton has a song for every awesome WW2 group and battle..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7NSUFDHFgg

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
I love that they don't limit themselves to WWII.  Some of their best stuff is completely separate.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kidd

• Major
Conservatively 1000's. Couple of those women had 100's all by their lonesome.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko had almost 260.
Figure those are outliers. But even at say 40 or 50 apiece, which isn't as hard as German fighter aces, we're looking at what, the best part of a battalion here?

Snipers are scary.

Luciora

• Major
If someone in a warzone during winter just came out of a forest, looking sinister, carrying an empty sniper rifle and telling me they killed 40 guys and needs reloads, i'm going to give them ammo and believe them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
The Soviet female sniper teams were badass.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
They're not.  Look up the Night Witches.  Fear.
then why are they holding scoped rifles for this picture?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
The night witches are pilots and instilled a different sort of fear than the lady snipers
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Kidd

• Major
The Night Witches were an all-female bomber regiment. They piloted very low and slow biplanes that German soldiers reckoned hardly made any sound save for a swish like a broom passing overhead... et voila.

The pic I posted is of female Soviet snipers. The pic caption claims they are from the 1st Belorussian Front, aka in Western parlance Army Group Center.

The star medal they all wear is the Order of Glory (below), the 3rd class medal is awarded for at least 10 kills. A bit less than 1 million of these were given out.

Scoring another 20 or so would qualify for the Order of Glory 2nd class, signified by a second similar star-shaped medal which some of these women seem to have. Less than 47,000 were awarded.

The round medal is possibly the Medal For Battle Merit, a common bravery award of which 5 million were given out.

« Last Edit: 24 July 2018, 17:28:20 by Kidd »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
The Night Witches were an all-female bomber regiment. They piloted very low and slow biplanes that German soldiers reckoned hardly made any sound save for a swish like a broom passing overhead... et voila.

The pic I posted is of female Soviet snipers. The pic caption claims they are from the 1st Belorussian Front, aka in Western parlance Army Group Center.

The star medal they all wear is the Order of Glory (below), the 3rd class medal is awarded for at least 10 kills. A bit less than 1 million of these were given out.

Scoring another 20 or so would qualify for the Order of Glory 2nd class, signified by a second similar star-shaped medal which some of these women seem to have. Less than 47,000 were awarded.

The round medal is possibly the Medal For Battle Merit, a common bravery award of which 5 million were given out.

Oh I wasn't questioning that they got medals. It's just that IN the picture, the medals seemed "photo-touched"
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Oh I wasn't questioning that they got medals. It's just that IN the picture, the medals seemed "photo-touched"

Well it was Stalinist Russia.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Kidd

• Major
I was curious about the medals anyway. I dunno, maybe they were highlighted, or maybe its the lighting, these are BnW after all.

Kidd

• Major
Leopard 2A7, possibly a Qatari variant

kato

• Captain
According to the sole page on the internet that uses that picture (some Georgian defense news site) it's a Leopard 2A7V, at the Bergen training area in Germany. If so it's a preproduction prototype for the current new German variant.

The assumption is probably based around the armour arrangement on the glacis, which is A7V standard in the picture. We'd probably rather have to see the turret from the other side to be sure - for the APU grill, which is also different from standard A7.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
The Germans are certainly having a little fun with history, with that particular name.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

kato

• Captain
And in the 100-year anniversary year too...

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
It looks to me like the T-90 upgrade that was supposed to compete with Armata was a bit too ambitious as biomancy is still in it's infancy.

Shoot first, laugh later.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
King Crab KGC-0000?
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Scorpion Mech
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Why have track wheels on it? It doesn't have a set of track :P

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Speaking of the Armata, I saw a news article that the Russians are only going to aquire 100 of them, as they are too expensive (still cheaper than a new M1A2!), so are going to continue to rely on the T-90 & late model T-72s in the future...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
It looks to me like the T-90 upgrade that was supposed to compete with Armata was a bit too ambitious as biomancy is still in it's infancy.

Attack its weak point.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Kidd

• Major
Tell Cookie to melt the butter and break out the bibs, I want this lobster served up on a silver platter!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Speaking of the Armata, I saw a news article that the Russians are only going to aquire 100 of them, as they are too expensive (still cheaper than a new M1A2!), so are going to continue to rely on the T-90 & late model T-72s in the future...
Whatever happened with T-80? I understand it got some bad rep when inexperienced crews abandoned the model while under fire, but is the tank really worse than T-72?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Whatever happened with T-80? I understand it got some bad rep when inexperienced crews abandoned the model while under fire, but is the tank really worse than T-72?

IIRC the Ukrainians like it but the Russians opted to further develop the T-72 but after the poor reputation it gained in Iraqi service, rebranded to T-90
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Actually since the Armata won't see full production, the Russians are planning on upgrading 3000 mothballed T-80s to the T-80BV standard (pictured) and putting them back into service.

The T-80 is actually quite similar to the T-72/T-90. It was it's expensive to run turbine engine more than anything else that forced it's early retirement.

Shows you just how hard up Ivan is for somewhat modern tanks to bring 'em out of retirement.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 14:04:39 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

Kidd

• Major
AFAIK it's a gasoline T64 with T72 improvements tacked on

Similarly the T-90 is a development of the T-72B with elements of the T-80U. If they don't commit to Armata this is their best bet for new production I think

Either way a fleet of T-80Us, T-72B3/B3Ms, T-90s and a handful of T-14s is still a formidable collection.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Actually since the Armata won't see full production, the Russians are planning on upgrading 3000 mothballed T-80s to the T-80BV standard (pictured) and putting them back into service.

The T-80 is actually quite similar to the T-72/T-90. It was it's expensive to run turbine engine more than anything else that forced it's early retirement.

Shows you just how hard up Ivan is for somewhat modern tanks to bring 'em out of retirement.

While I was scrolling down, I initially thought that enormous cylinder in the background was the tank's gun- had me wonder just how big a projectile it launched.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
tangential topic.. been playing word of tanks a bunch on my Xbox lately.. i have come to the conclusion..

the early tier Russian tanks suck. having to slog through the T-28 and the like in order to get to the actual good stuff is annoying.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
tangential topic.. been playing word of tanks a bunch on my Xbox lately.. i have come to the conclusion..

the early tier Russian tanks suck. having to slog through the T-28 and the like in order to get to the actual good stuff is annoying.

Playing World of Warships makes you wonder why anyone would join a USN Cruiser before about 1930 and even then I would be picky about which I would serve aboard
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"