Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 198938 times)

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
And here we see the female tank carrying her offspring. Today, the mother willl teach the baby to hunt.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
In this photo, we see the lonely offspring trying to be stealthy on it's first solo hunt, mother is off camera prowling, watching.... and waiting.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
What kind of tank is that?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
I'm always amazed at how tiny a FT-17 is... Roughly the size of a compact car.

(Attached, the FT17 kept at the Invalides Museum in Paris. Still capable of moving on its own power IIRC)

Kidd

• Major
I'm always amazed at how tiny a FT-17 is... Roughly the size of a compact car.

It's barely bigger than a bloke sitting down and his mate standing up behind him.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Did Japan base the Type 89 off it?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
It's barely bigger than a bloke sitting down and his mate standing up behind him.

Leona Ozaki approves.

Did Japan base the Type 89 off it?
loosely. sorta. the Type 89 was 12 ton tank filling a similar role of the 10 ton Renault FT, but it was developed using features off both the FT and the 20 ton Vickers Medium Mk. I (which btw.. sucks in WoT.)

but the US made the M1917 as a modded copy of the Renault FT, the italians the Fiat 3000, and the russians, after a few experiments in armament, made the T-18. each included variations in suspension and armament to fit the doctrine of their military, but sadly the cutting edge they were not. the FT was a decent tank for WW1, but the nature of warfare passed them by rapidly and the design just couldn't keep up.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2018, 20:54:34 by glitterboy2098 »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
Gents:

What am I looking at? I was researching the Bushmaster Autocannon and well.... this was in there!

Color me intrigued.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
Gents:

What am I looking at? I was researching the Bushmaster Autocannon and well.... this was in there!

Color me intrigued.

TT

Honest John rocket?

Kidd

• Major
Yeah looks like.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
AKA a one-shot Arrow IV with an Davey Crocket round. :)

Andy_in_Indy

• Private
    • Club Cyberia Makerspace
What am I looking at? TT

The VFW Post at 1850 S East St in Indianapolis has an Honest John out front.  Go swing by and take a look.

-Andy in Indy
"Where there is life, there's threat!"

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
I was going to ask about that!  I haven't been by there in quite a while,  but I thought that's what they had out front.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well color me blind... I happen to have a customer at that post that calls once in a while for pizza...

Swinging by sometime next week, got to work doubles tomorrow, 7th and 8th.

Thanks...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
How about a home-built SPG?

The Free Syrian Army's "Sniper Cannon", outlined here: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/28/fsa-technicals-part-3-120mm-sniper-cannon/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
How many people have to sit on the hood to keep it from flipping when it fires?

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
How many people have to sit on the hood to keep it from flipping when it fires?

Probably not that many. The article indicates it's a low velocity mortar shell. Sometimes homemade. Apparently for a homebuilt device it is quite accurate.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
I love how they have gone to the trouble of painting a camo pattern the ute (aka pickup for you Americans) but leave the bright shine chrome door handles  ;D
« Last Edit: 08 December 2018, 00:29:14 by Feenix74 »
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Luciora

• Major
Guy has to pimp his ride somehow.

I love how they have gone to the trouble of painting a camo pattern the ute (aka pickup for you Americas) but leave the bright shine chrome door handles  ;D

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
I will no longer be satisfied until I see a camo'ed Technical with a big gun and spinnaz.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kidd

• Major
I love how they have gone to the trouble of painting a camo pattern the ute (aka pickup for you Americans) but leave the bright shine chrome door handles  ;D
How else is he going to ride eternal shining and chrome to the gates of Valhalla?

V8! V8! V8!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
How else is he going to ride eternal shining and chrome to the gates of Valhalla?

V8! V8! V8!
Not to mention without the handles, they can't find the truck at all!
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
I will no longer be satisfied until I see a camo'ed Technical with a big gun and spinnaz.

Keep checking here: https://www.reddit.com/r/shittytechnicals/
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Kidd

• Major
Bradley with Trophy APS

So far at least 4 brigade sets of Abrams and Brads across the Army and Marines are going to be fitted with the things

grimlock1

• Captain
How about a home-built SPG?

The Free Syrian Army's "Sniper Cannon", outlined here: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/28/fsa-technicals-part-3-120mm-sniper-cannon/
The gate valve style breech block is kinda interesting.  It goes back to the "how do you build something when you don't have the entire military-industrial complex to call on?"    Making the block would be 4-5 (tedious) operations on a manual milling machine. Then the slot in the tube could be 2-3 more milling operations. The last thing would be to machine the end of the tube so it could accept some kind of ring to backstop the block. Almost all this work could be speed up with some clever pre drilling.

Depending on if you are willing to remove a bit more material than strictly necessary, slot could even be done in a single operation.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
Found a video of it firing:

https://i.imgur.com/oPDsYcz.gifv

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
I can't imagine the recoil is doing anything good to the frame of that truck...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
No, but they could probably take the gun out and put it into a new truck fairly easily once the damage gets bad enough.

Register