Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 196841 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
No, but they could probably take the gun out and put it into a new truck fairly easily once the damage gets bad enough.
Looks like that's already happened at least one
https://youtu.be/jDGrsi1AIl0?t=270
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
Looks like that's already happened at least one
https://youtu.be/jDGrsi1AIl0?t=270

Those stabilizers on the back look like a good idea. Whoever is working on this thing is definitely still refining it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Well, you've got to figure that whoever came up with it and made it work is probably pretty clever.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
I'm curious why there seems to be screening over the holes in the muzzle brake.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
I'm curious why there seems to be screening over the holes in the muzzle brake.
My thought: to prevent debris from entering the muzzle, inside or outside.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Kidd

• Major
So people are big on anti-drone AA now....

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
It's the wave of the future, as even terrorists can cobble together attack drones now.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
It's the wave of the future, as even terrorists can cobble together attack drones now.

Stingers and similar missiles seem like gross overkill against them though. Every time I see an "anti-drone" vehicle I feel like they're designed for use against full scale helicopters.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
This is quite a hot topic in the UK at the moment as our second biggest/busiest airport was shut down for >24 hours by drone sightings

While a cheap AAA defence might work ok against drones in most cases on a battlefield (eg a machine gun or light autocannon like the 20mm of a C-RAM), for an airport or airbase I would worry about FOD from the expended ammunition so a laser based system might be better for use in more built up areas
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
There is also EW with capability to bring down the drones by overriding the ground controls, Russians had some success with this approach when defending their airbase in Syria, with the rest of drones being taken out by missiles.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 16:51:35 by Easy »

grimlock1

• Captain
Well, you've got to figure that whoever came up with it and made it work is probably pretty clever.
Depending on the machine tools to which they have access, I would go so far as to say "really frickin' smart."
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Every time I see an "anti-drone" vehicle I feel like they're designed for use against full scale helicopters.

Thing is, there are drones

and drones

The military is more concerned about #2, I guess. Police, #1, but their budgets aren't (yet) appealing to the arms manufacturers.

Some sort of maser half-assed EMP zapper would seem to be the logical answer - line of sight, no falling debris (other than the zorched drone), and it's unlikely that most drones could be seriously hardened.  Perhaps the Brits could resurrect their anti-crowd microwave weapon from the 1980s? ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Don't forget the really big ones like the Piaggio Hammerhead, which is basically an executive transport aircraft turned into a giant drone.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
The military is more concerned about #2, I guess. Police, #1, but their budgets aren't (yet) appealing to the arms manufacturers.

I suppose that's true, and that you're better off having too much firepower than too little. Still, I've been keeping an eye on the ones being used in places like Syria, and they look a lot more like this:

I suppose that's what the cannon is for, but I can't help but think a smaller guided munition is in order for something like that.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2019, 14:53:47 by Wereling »

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
Don't forget the really big ones like the Piaggio Hammerhead, which is basically an executive transport aircraft turned into a giant drone.

I don't think that thing would like ever be low enough to hit with a Stinger.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
There is also EW with capability to bring down the drones by overriding the ground controls, Russians had some success with this approach when defending their airbase in Syria, with the rest of drones being taken out by missiles.

Most drones have the ability to use pre-plotted waypoints without active controls. While attacking point targets like parked aircraft would require manual control, simply buzzing through airspace would not.

Dave Talley

• Major
random thought
iirc the old M79 grenade launcher had a shotgun style shell,
i wonder if you could modify a automatic grenade launcher to use them,
less issues with follow on damage, or just a belt fed 12 gauge could work
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
random thought
iirc the old M79 grenade launcher had a shotgun style shell,
i wonder if you could modify a automatic grenade launcher to use them,
less issues with follow on damage, or just a belt fed 12 gauge could work

Maybe. Those rounds have a pretty low velocity though. I could see a version of the Mk 19 shell (which is a higher velocity shell IIRC) set up that way with plastic or otherwise non-metallic projectiles for drone defense over a crowd though.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2019, 16:36:12 by Wereling »

Kidd

• Major
On the pic I posted, the thingy in back under the EO ball is a drone radar, the main sensor for the anti-drone mission. A variety of weapons are available; the autocannon, an EW scrambler somewhere, and a suicide anti-drone drone launcher somewhere else.

The Stinger can be employed too as I believe it was/will be certified for anti-drone ops but it's more for the traditional VSHORAD role which this vehicle can tackle too.

Amazing all the stuff they're throwing on the M-ATV these days.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
I'd be willing to be that the military is worried about things like this, too:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESA_Ababil#Qasef-1  One of these was supposedly used in the last week or two to hit a military parade in Yemen.  You can see what kind of coverage it give from about 1:03 to 1:40 in this video: https://youtu.be/JOQLEoAN98o?t=63

Kidd

• Major
I'd be willing to be that the military is worried about things like this, too:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESA_Ababil#Qasef-1  One of these was supposedly used in the last week or two to hit a military parade in Yemen.  You can see what kind of coverage it give from about 1:03 to 1:40 in this video: https://youtu.be/JOQLEoAN98o?t=63
Supposedly 6 KIA from that

Hard to believe at first, but think about it; crowded parade, all that shrapnel heading straight down for the tops of everyone's craniums

Then there's this - 40mm grenade with a plastic fin added, dropped from a quadcopter drone the size of most such RC toys. This particular attack killed the tank commander who was riding unbuttoned

That drone is a very tiny target by military scales

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Stingers and similar missiles seem like gross overkill against them though. Every time I see an "anti-drone" vehicle I feel like they're designed for use against full scale helicopters.
Missiles for the big ones, cannon for the little. I would imagine a fused round or two from a small CIWS or C-RAM type system would do the job on small, slow-moving drones.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Depending on the machine tools to which they have access, I would go so far as to say "really frickin' smart."

Oh, no doubt.  But I was going with clever over smart because of just how outside-the-box the thinking required to make something like that work is.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
I'm sure someone will strap a (very) light shotgun on a small commercial quadcopter, with one or two cameras, giving birth to light fighter drones. Much like 105 years ago, when someone started dropping grenades from a Bleriot XI.
It could even be quickly efficient, with the right networking from ground-based modern senors.

... And it will be pictures for the planes thread  ;D

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
There are videos of people mounting (and firing) everything from handguns up to full-size MGs on commercial drones. Nut I think it will be another decade or two before it's really practical.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
And the light fighter drones are disposable, housed and launched from a UAV blimp that loiters 24/7 in the area of operations until it is tasked to launch a light fighter drone or a ground attack drone or a heavy fighter drone :thumbsup:

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Kidd

• Major
There are videos of people mounting (and firing) everything from handguns up to full-size MGs on commercial drones. Nut I think it will be another decade or two before it's really practical.
Recoil must do wonders to accuracy and effective range...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
So, how about those tanks?

Found in Afghanistan, returned to France in 2007 and restored 90 years after it was first sent off to battle.  The first in the line towards true modern MBTs, with a proper gun mounted in a fully traversing turret with armor forward, a crew compartment, rear engine, and full tracks.  Humble beginnings.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
Love the FT-17. I actually notices one on screen during the Pats @ Chiefs game this weekend because they apparently have one at a military museum in Missouri and they used it as a local background shot.

I'm always shocked how tiny they are when I see one.

Register